PDA

View Full Version : Big Game Decoys, anyone try them?

mooseless
01-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Anybody try using decoys for big game, deer, moose, elk, etc??
Success?, Failure?, or tell us your storey!

mooseless
01-24-2008, 02:00 PM
I see they sell them at a local sportshop.

daycort
01-24-2008, 02:02 PM
the cow elk decoy by montanas is really good. If they can catch a glimpse of it at the same time you cow call, watch out cause they will run you over.

Dirty
01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
I'd hate to use one where there are a lot of other hunters. You never know what might happen if you are relatively near it.

Ron.C
01-24-2008, 02:21 PM
I,ve used a Renzo's cow elk decoy the last two seasons, and last year my hunting partners and I tried two on a couple setups. They are light, easy to set up, and easy to get around. The first year using one on the first set up, we had a spike bull come right in and you can see he was looking right at the decoy. We had other elk come in through the week, and the decoy certainly never scared any away to my knowlege. On the last night of our hunt I took a spike bull while calling above a water hole. He definitely came in looking at the decoy, which gave me the opportunity to move in a better position for a shot. Just remember to always be ready when hunting with one. My first set up this past fall, I blew an opportunity at a 5x5 because I left my bow sitting on my pack while I carried my decoy to the spot where I set it up, only to notice that big boy watching me the entire time:roll: later in the week I had a nice bull come in right behind me "within 10 yards" from downwind, and my decoy was in a clearly visible spot and I'm sure he was focused on it while I was calling. Like anything else though, just another tool that will help. My two cents..

sledder
01-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I had one of those Delta deer used for bow practice. Came home one day and found it in two pieces. Deer tracks all around. I figure a buck came in and had its way with my target. True story:eek:

So it does work

sledder

BCrams
01-24-2008, 03:41 PM
I've used the montana whitetail decoy with success.

So realistic, it even fooled deer guru Dana pretty good one evening.

Sitkaspruce
01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Montana cow moose decoy. Have used with great success. Helps when they hold up, move it a round a bit and then see what happens.

Also have used the WT doe decoy. Have watched deer walk into it with very little concern, but no big ones yet.

Sasquatch
01-24-2008, 07:08 PM
I thought they were a great idea until I read about the guy in Alberta who got shot placing his a couple years ago.
After reading that, I think I would only use one bow hunting.

mooseless
01-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Ya, I guess you don't want to stager up the hill with your 6x6 bull elk decoy over your back!!

boxhitch
01-24-2008, 07:26 PM
For a couple of years we ahd a horse in the string, that was a ringer color for a cow moose. Would tie him in an opening, and sit by and call.
Cows and small bull showed up, nothing big. Maybe a good thing for old Brown Juggie.

Wild one
01-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Guys use them alot in alberta and I was told to always carry it up side down and put blaze orange on it when paking in.The mention of the guy who got shot last year I have hunted that area and it is BAD YOU COULD GET SHOT WITH OUT THE DECOEY.

Chuck
01-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Just FYI - Bro. put up a WT doe as a lawn/yard ornament and conversation piece. Wasn't long before they started to arrive, even had a small buck knock it over who knows why. He now has a regular gathering of does from time to time, but never had a big buck yet.

sfire436
02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I have used turkey decoys, but as to big game.......unless you are on private land you would be foolish to walk around holding a decoy, very foolish