PDA

View Full Version : Who knows of a good Outfitter using pak horses

waistdeep
01-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Want to do a hunt with 3 buds using horses. Moose, cariboo maybe mulies. Anyone have some experience to share when one goes looking for the right outfitter.

Recordram
01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
I work for Upper Stikine River Adventures in my off time. You can find a tonne of info by looking at the GOABC web site. It will tell you everything about the outfitters in BC.

boxhitch
01-22-2008, 09:47 PM
If you are looking for DIY, the name that comes to mind is Jeff at Steamboat Mountain Outfitters. Packers for BC residents. There are other with Adverts in the Reg. Syns.

Lil Buck
01-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Talk to Dave Heitsman he seems to know ......................

Lb:D

David Heitsman
01-28-2008, 10:27 PM
The moose - caribou - mule deer combo has me a little stumped. Drop the last one or the first two and we'd have some choices.

I'm with Boxhitch here as the regs are full of outfitters with resident hunting programs now.

I'd give Tuchodi River Outfitters a call as well if you were interested in a elk - moose combo. If you can book a foursome, I bet all of them would negotiate with you. High & Wild purchased the York packing business a while back to add to their resident program as well.

kutenay
01-29-2008, 02:49 AM
I would avoid certain "transporters" as advertisements and reality are not always the same, sometimes things are not as advertised.

I would look at "Stone Mountain Safaris", "Tuchodi Outfitters" and "High and Wild" for starters and maybe look into some of the other GOs who offer these programmes. You might find that certain GOs are NOT as helpful to residents as to high dollar foreign hunters, I noticed this on my last trip and another res. hunter, on his third trip with the same outfitter quietly commented to me that the cook certainly favoured a couple of Americans who were in the camp where he and I, separately, were on Cow Elk hunts.

So, I would definitely go with at least one partner for obvious reasons and, even then, you can get ripped off as a friend and I did last Sept. in the Chilcotin....there is a LOT of BS in the whole industry.

bighornbob
01-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Kutenay

For someone that has backpacked for 40 years I would have thought going on a outfitted hunt would be sacreligious.:lol:

BHB

kutenay
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
I have been on a few horsepack hunts, no jetboats, no fly-ins and have never even sat on a quad or trike....please, Massa, I HOPE this is OK.......

Oh, I have backpacked fr 44 years and still do, at 61, not all men are worn out as youn.....well, this IS a "family site", so....... :)

porcupine
01-29-2008, 11:04 AM
http://www.bignine.com/

They gave me a GREAT hunt, great horses too. also, They offer discount prices for BC residents too!
________
Yamaha DX5 history (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_DX5)

kutenay
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Yup, but they are now "High and Wild" and they are among the BEST in the business. I intend to do more of this as I get further into my 60s as packing heavy loads is no longer as easy as it used to seem....maybe my beer level is too low???? :)

OR, BHB, could take pity on an old phart like me and come hunting with me and carry my pack!!! :)

bighornbob
01-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Have you guys looked at this outfit before.

http://bcoutfitter.com/

He just rents you the gear and the horses and trains you how to pack. he does not go along. I talked to him a few times at the Wild Sheep banquets about renting as I had no horse experience and he said all the training would be provided.

BHB

Gateholio
01-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Have you guys looked at this outfit before.

http://bcoutfitter.com/

He just rents you the gear and the horses and trains you how to pack. he does not go along. I talked to him a few times at the Wild Sheep banquets about renting as I had no horse experience and he said all the training would be provided.

BHB

We rented form him and I'd do it again...Except for a packhorse wreck due to pepper spray, all went reasonably well.

Horses are great sometimes, sometimes it's nice to just get dropped off and not have to worry abou tthem...

tangozulu
01-29-2008, 03:05 PM
If your hunting a quota animal (sheep etc) you absolutely should get a disscount as yout resident tag won't count ajainst their quota.
Your just paying for the outfitting service.
I commend big 9 for promoting a healthy resident relationship. Wish there was more of it around.

http://www.bignine.com/

They gave me a GREAT hunt, great horses too. also, They offer discount prices for BC residents too!

waistdeep
02-03-2008, 12:34 AM
what a great way to get many ideas and thoughts from guys that have been there done that.

thanks, i will let you know as i progress down this track.

oh - the mulie issue was only a after thought, not the main event if you know what i mean.

should be a great experience what ever i end up doing

willy442
02-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I would avoid certain "transporters" as advertisements and reality are not always the same, sometimes things are not as advertised.

I would look at "Stone Mountain Safaris", "Tuchodi Outfitters" and "High and Wild" for starters and maybe look into some of the other GOs who offer these programmes. You might find that certain GOs are NOT as helpful to residents as to high dollar foreign hunters, I noticed this on my last trip and another res. hunter, on his third trip with the same outfitter quietly commented to me that the cook certainly favoured a couple of Americans who were in the camp where he and I, separately, were on Cow Elk hunts.

So, I would definitely go with at least one partner for obvious reasons and, even then, you can get ripped off as a friend and I did last Sept. in the Chilcotin....there is a LOT of BS in the whole industry.

Kutenay: I find it a little hard to believe that you support these outfits as 2 of them are owned by foreign interests. Whats happened to the live, breath and die CANADIAN?:lol:

David Heitsman
02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Willy442:

Which two would that be since the owners live in Toad River, Hudson's Hope and Ft. St. John respectively?

willy442
02-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Willy442:

Which two would that be since the owners live in Toad River, Hudson's Hope and Ft. St. John respectively?

Stone Mountain is one and High and Wild the other. If you recall the name Big Nine it stood for the 9 laywers that bought Gary Powell before Barry took over managing. Some say he now owns all the shares but others claim different, I'm not positive either way on this one. The Stone Mountain area is owned by Americans and the licence holder is also an American thats why he was ineligable to hold a guides licence or Outfitters Certificate until recently.

Where they live now really don't matter Kevin Olmstead lives in Two Rivers he's not Canadian either.

bruin
02-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I was under the impression that the Big Nine stood for the 9 species of big game that could be hunted there, at least that's what they told me when I worked there. I was also under the impression that Barry was part owner, his partners being from the states.

boxhitch
02-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Bruin, thats a better story to pass on than the 'nine lawyer' line.
The only thing good about nine lawyers is if they were in the same leaky boat.
Re Stone Mtn Safaris- Ken Clarke is holding the license for new owner Lief Olson ( a farmer from US looking for some Hay acreage stumbled on the 'for sale' ad).

shoot'm agn
02-10-2008, 04:48 AM
waistdeep,

Do you live in a place where you can keep large animals?

daycort
02-10-2008, 05:04 AM
If you recall the name Big Nine it stood for the 9 laywers that bought Gary Powell before Barry took over managing. Some say he now owns all the shares but others claim different, I'm not positive either way on this one.

I believe they are in the courts solving this one. Something about 2 partners getting screwed out of there share by some of the other partners. I was a little tipsy when I was getting the story first hand so I can't recall to many of the details. I heard this though straight from the horses mouth.

willy442
02-10-2008, 06:11 PM
I believe they are in the courts solving this one. Something about 2 partners getting screwed out of there share by some of the other partners. I was a little tipsy when I was getting the story first hand so I can't recall to many of the details. I heard this though straight from the horses mouth.

You are most likely refering to the one fellow I know for sure, that lives up river from your work. Unlike BoxHitch, I prefer not to use names as I see no requirement for that much information. The whole point of my post was to point out Kutenay recommending foriegn owned Outfits to residents..

sparky300winmag
02-11-2008, 05:11 PM
http://www.abarzoutfitters.com/index.htm

You could check out this site .I know the family and they are very good guides.Also they are 100% Canadian.No Caribou though.

waistdeep
02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Yes I have a couple of horses now and plan on buying another but would rather not have to trailer to far north with the whole bunch to a location I am not familiar with. Whats your thought shoot um?

daycort
02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
You are most likely refering to the one fellow I know for sure, that lives up river from your work. Unlike BoxHitch, I prefer not to use names as I see no requirement for that much information. The whole point of my post was to point out Kutenay recommending foriegn owned Outfits to residents..

Yup ya got her right willy. He actually keeps us informed very well. I don't like the idea of foreign outfitters either.

boxhitch
02-12-2008, 11:44 PM
There's no secrets. The Owners and Operators names are public info. One just has to look.