PDA

View Full Version : Which Fly for Dollys?

Plincker
01-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to fly fishing and I just got all my gramps fly gear! I was just wondering what flys would work best for dollys and steel heads, I'll be fishing the Squamish river.

any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Kechika
01-22-2008, 06:22 PM
anything with lots of movement.Zonkers,strip leeches and marabou flies seem to work best for me.Long leader and a floating line.

BlacktailStalker
01-22-2008, 07:52 PM
IF you do a search on "traditional steelhead flies" any of those will work.
Anything that undulates, as Kechika said, will do the trick.

Dollys are gluttons, minnow patterns work well, depending on whats in the river for fry at the time.
Just mach the general colours and size at the time.

When fly fishing for steelhead, ideally be thigh deep in water, 80% of your takes will be when your fly is hanging directly downstream when you think you are done. Always work your fly in for about 6-10 feet, as if you are still fishing it.
Often steelies will follow it and hang below it and check it out, once it starts to "escape" it triggers their natural instinct to take it.

Also, very most important, is your mend. You want NO unnatural drag on that fly for the reason above, if it doesnt look natural between the time they see it and the time they decide they want to take it, they wont take it.
Have fun !
I know guys that havent caught a winter steelie on a fly in 2 years of trying, but when you do, its worth it :)

Plincker
01-24-2008, 12:27 AM
thanks alot guys for the input. BlacktailStalker you had some really good info. I have only been out fishing 6 times and I have always wondered if you i should be wiggling the line or just dragging it in. I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I just pull the line in and let it flow down stream and maybe real some in if I got lots out. Makes sense doing it this way as I can make the fly look more natural.

Thanx again guys

Wildfoot
01-24-2008, 12:47 AM
go to a craft supply store. buy a package of bright colored marabou feathers. tie on half the package. tie on half a roll of tin foil. Make it look ugly.

You have yourself a good bullie/dollie fly.