PDA

View Full Version : Halli Season's Just Around The Corner.

Mr. Dean
01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Looking forward to it!
How many members here are addicted to these behemoths of the deep?

I know I am,,, in a VERY bad way! :twisted: :twisted:
It's what makes life worth living. :mrgreen:

Sitkaspruce
01-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Itchin to go. I will be fishing the waters between PH and PM and maybe a little on the westcoast.

NEEHAMA
01-22-2008, 12:46 PM
SAME! I go out just infront of alertbay ... port mcneil ish

Mr. Dean
01-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Itchin to go. I will be fishing the waters between PH and PM and maybe a little on the westcoast.

:cool:

We'll be up that way in May, for 2 or so weeks. Once I tag on a couple of Bears, it'll be time to "rip some lips". I traditionally fish PH and up.

The anticipation is somewhat over-whelming, which IS surprising. You'd think that after all my years fishing, it would become hum-drum... NOT!

It still gives me 'The Kid At Christmas' syndrome. :redface: :mrgreen:

Mr. Dean
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
SAME! I go out just infront of alertbay ... port mcneil ish

You like the sand or rocks???

rifleman
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
I'll Be Going Out Past Bamfield For Our First Trip. Sometime In May. Trolling Anchovies On The Bottom Works Well For Us.

NEEHAMA
01-22-2008, 01:53 PM
sand for me.

what is your bait of choice..

Mr. Dean
01-22-2008, 01:53 PM
If pinks are runnin, I like a fresh steak on the hook.
If not, my preferance's are squid and octipussy's. Especially if fresh. Regardless, everything gets a herring hung also, not to mention a pretty AND large skirt.

All ya can eat, anyone?

Mr. Dean
01-22-2008, 01:54 PM
... And I like the rocks.

NEEHAMA
01-22-2008, 02:58 PM
that is what we use, octopussy leg and squid. here is my largest to date.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/eric_s_halibut_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7724&size=big&cat=500)

Mr. Dean
01-22-2008, 03:56 PM
No pic's of the REAL nice one's... I was without a camera for a spell.
The largest that we ever caught was 5'4" nose-tail and was released (not lossed). Got me Mrs. Dean as a witness. :biggrin:
She's just as fish nutzy as I.

Last year the Halli's were hot. IIRC we boated 3 that broke 65/70 lbs in the summer with the smallest of the limits being a 35. While the May fish yielded us 6 nice chickens also.

The one your holding, did it make triple didgets?
I'm thinking close, but not quite. I'll guess 75 lbs'ish... I can't tell if it's a 5 footer or not. :neutral:

If I get the Kenworth that got away on me last year,,, It won't be goin back! I'll eat it, and mount it to my ceiling.

In the bedroom. :eek: ;)
There goes the poster of Marc Wahlberg...

tomahawk
01-22-2008, 04:12 PM
I know I am,,, in a VERY bad way! :twisted: :twisted:
It's what makes life worth living. :mrgreen:

I'm hooked as well. Will be out off Barkley Sound by May at the latest and if I have my way and the wind cooperates might try near the end of April. I jig and troll bait on the offshore banks, depending on what we want to do that particular day or mix it up and do both, jigging on the slacks!

NEEHAMA
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
i never did weigh my big one. i would agree not quite 3 didgets..
but if i've been drinking it can get a little over....

i prefer a little smaller. i'm all about the hali steaks.

here is two years ago..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/1112568-R1-014-5A_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7725&size=big&cat=500)

betteroffishing
01-22-2008, 04:51 PM
ever heard of any halli fishing off the mainland?south basin?

Mr. Dean
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
ever heard of any halli fishing off the mainland?south basin?

Yes but haven't heard of consistant catching. :wink:

lip_ripper00
01-22-2008, 05:31 PM
I have not had the opportunity to do much hali fishing (execept off the Princess puke boats), but a buddy of mine just picked up a 26ft Osprey (boat) and am looking to get out toward 26 mile reef. Mabye this will be the year:mrgreen:

Mr. Dean
01-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Them Osprey's are nice boats.

Friends that own them, are even nicer. ;)

BlacktailStalker
01-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Yes sir I love my barn doors !
But I love eating my chickens much more.

Sitkaspruce
01-22-2008, 08:35 PM
So to go along with this thread...

Do you hali fishers release a 100+ hali or bonk it?

I personally will only eat hali's under 50 lbs and release all above that.

When I was guiding I had the same rule and although a few people would question it, no body had a problem with it, since the "chickens" are so much better. We used to try and take a picture of the big one and release her.

I have no problem with the bigger ones getting caught, just my choice is to release them.

SS

mooseless
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I caught one 65lbs, and one bigger but after 45min the line broke, never got to see it. I caught a 12 lber off the ore dock(fuel dock) in Port McNiell it was alittle difficult getting it from the water up 20ft to the dock, I did it by climbing down the wire rope ladder, what a memory!

Mmmm tastey!

BlacktailStalker
01-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Let the breeders go!
I've bonked 60s and I bonked my first 90.
I have no use for 6" thick hali steaks now though.
It was a "holy $h!t thing" at the time, now I'm over it.
But lemme tell ya, I've hooked into vancouver island several times and If I ever get her in without breaking off, I'm bonking her !!

I also never kill steelhead. I've killed one in my life.

115 or bust
01-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Heres to that BS. I've had to do some research on those big boys or should I say girls for school. And most halibut over the 30lb mark are females with a greater porportion female as they get bigger. I won't eat the big ones anyways they taste like overcooked turkey. And if you ever took a parisitology course you might never eat it again either. Lets just say i don't like things wriggling in my food when I cut it up especially the anasakis seal worms that can wind up in your eye and other neat and disgusting places (yes I know cooking and freezing kill them still gross though). Besides each female in the 100lb range can produce well over 1,000,000 eggs a year. Takes a pretty big chunk out of the population when guys target the big ones.

Browningmirage
01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
So with all the poeple up North Island area, how come we arent having a get together? And by get together i mean Halibut fishing trip ;) Im a big fan of the storm islands, and there is something to be said about taylor bank as well...

Kirby
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Only done them commercially, here were the two largest, caught back to back on a string. Larger one(front) was 230 the other was around 215 on the hook no guts, both were over 6'
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/Cr_mclean/Halibut.jpg

Kirby

Mr. Dean
01-22-2008, 09:59 PM
After letting the one 100+ pounder go, I figure that I'm good for keeping another.

I find no diff b'tween a 20 or an 80 when on the table. One's just bigger.
I do find filleting the fillets, makes for better, more even cooking.

Mr. Dean
01-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Kirby's got the fish I'm after...

Elkhound
01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Lucky SOBs. I love halibut, never fished for them though.

porcupine
01-23-2008, 12:28 AM
The Island Outfitter's 12th Annual Just For The Halibut Derby will be held May 10th & 11th this year. First place is $7,500 Second Place is $2,500 Third Place is $1,000 There are lots of other prizes as well as a special Hidden Weight Prize. Contact Island Outfitters in Victoria

http://www.fishingvictoria.com/ (http://www.fishingvictoria.com/) (475-4969) for more info.
________
marijuana vaporizer (http://weedvaporizer.info/)

Mr. Dean
01-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Any of you fella's do the combo Bear/Halli tour in the spring?

This year we're taking off for 2 weeks again. After I drop two Bush Kings, I'll try a day or two on the water for "My Fish".

I'd love to get rid of that Wahlberg poster...

MB_Boy
01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Looking forward to getting over the WCVI a few times this season for some hali's and salmon. Had two great trips over there last year and my halibut supply is almost gone!! It tends to get pulled out of the freezer twice as often as the salmon does. Mmmm......halibut.

For me....I don't think you would find me keeping anything over 30-40....maybe a bit bigger but as BTStalker says, "if I hook into vancouver island" and get her up to the boat; who knows. I have tasted a bit of a difference in the big un's vs. the smaller 30-40lb range.

Getting excited for the first trip!!

newhunterette
01-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Now that we have the boat - we can do more halibut fishing - used to do it quite a bit with my dad but not so much with Peter - he fished the commercial boats so halibut fishing was awesome for him and he takes a few trips with buds to salmon and halibut fish - I would love to get out there again - my biggest has been 65 lbs and I almost fell overboard with it - hate being vertically challenged sometimes

NEEHAMA
01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
too hard for me to let big fish go. i also keep white springs! and i shoot little deer! and i put in for doe draws! i'm a bad man!

115 or bust
01-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey white springs are the bomb!! Don't knock the tastiest hardest fighting fish out there!

Johnnybear
01-24-2008, 09:24 AM
May is the month for me off of Barkley Sound. Just spent my Christmas gift certificates on Hali tackle. Can't wait to get out there. We catch them around the 7 mile mark not too far to go which is nice. We us bait mostly octopus that we accidentally catch while prawing and xtra large herring on a spreader bar. Not much luck with the plastic but my buddy caught a 87 on a Berkley power grub last year. I haven't caught one over 100 yet but I would release it after taking a picture:wink:.

newhunterette
01-24-2008, 09:34 AM
too hard for me to let big fish go. i also keep white springs! and i shoot little deer! and i put in for doe draws! i'm a bad man!

ohhhhhhhhhh I had such a good response and as I typed I realized I better delete that or I will be lined up in front of HBC firing squad - dang why did I have to be born with a HALO

Leaseman
01-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Alison,
vertically challenged is best for halibut AND sturgeon fishing....;)

Mr. Dean
01-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Alison,

Agreed.
Being short in the a$$ means less stress on the back. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, I'm 6'2"

Mr. Dean
01-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Here's my spin on the ethicals of Hallibut.

Over the course of a year, I might take 6 fish. Most often, it's only 3 (1 limit). I feel that these "self imposed" restrictions are my contribution to the conservation effort. If I happen into a pig of a lady (or 2), she's getting poon'd. Without a question. No doubt about it.

For the most part, I see restrictions on Sportsmen(person) as being a tool for the preservation of the Commercial Fishery. AND I further believe that the stocks belong to all Canadians 1st, and that we should take precidence over a fish being exported.

That Kenwoth we lost was a SOLID 6 footer and I have endless dreams of our next date.
It'll be a killer, for sure. ;)

Johnybear: Careful taking them pic's. I find that they dont like to pose for long beside the boat and that they'll swing a rod into the camera while your trying..... BLOOP!,,,, camera gone. :eek:

This, and the fact that the deck tends to get very busy when a biggun is on AND strewn w/ gear (harpoons, a couple of gaff's, ropes to each, lg floats...), we just forget about pic opp's and leave the camera down below.

Exciting indeed!!!!

NEEHAMA
01-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Tell me about it, i'm 6'3

almost fall in every year.

Mr. Dean
01-24-2008, 11:01 AM

Yeaaaaah.
But my fish'n rod is BIGGER than yours!!!! :tongue: :tongue:

Mr. Dean
01-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Speaking of which...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0010_edited-4.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0010_edited-3.JPG

I have 2 of these as our primary weapons for the better part of 10 years. I know that some don't care for them and have had problems with the level wind falling/breaking apart.

Can't say that these have EVER caused us any grief. I sealed the cases (as with any level wind) and insist on keeping the worm gear lubed up nicely. Other than that, I also give them a light rinse w/ fresh water at the end of the day.

Giving them the "once over" w/ a screwdriver periodicly, doesn't hurt niether. I also store them out of the rain with the drags fully backed off; again, as with any other type of reel.

What do youz people use and are you a believer in maintanence, or do you use and abuse, and replace as needed?

newhunterette
01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Alison,

Agreed.
Being short in the a$$ means less stress on the back. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, I'm 6'2"

I understand y'all being high into the mountains above me when ya have to stand there to fight them big monsters, I can understand being vertically challenged as perhaps a plus but try being short (shy of 5'2") and your trying to hold onto a monster fish and a huge rod and reel at the same time and the waves crash and the fish tries to take you over board - oh wait that is the whole fun of fishing - okay maybe sometimes being short does come in handy (NO I AM NOT THE BEER TABLE)

Mr Dean - sign me up on ur boat - I am going halibut fishing

NEEHAMA
01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
that looks like my reel. i do use a short stiff little rod (keep your halo on :) to muscle them flat buggers off the bottom.

i remember seening some old timers using a "hand line" once. every try that? not even sure if it's even legal/ethical/sporting? but they were doing well with it.

Mr. Dean
01-24-2008, 02:27 PM
This year we're trading in our old/worn out/soft meat sticks, for a couple of them flexy actioned ones.
Yesterday I bought 2 Shakespere Tidewater 6 footers. I'm thinking that they'll be easier on Mrs. Dean.

@#$^ am I a GOOD hubby or what!

Mr. Dean
01-24-2008, 02:30 PM
It would take one TOUGH sonofa_____ to handline a decent Halli, I'd think.
Talk about dislocating an elbow and a shoulder!!

Mr. Dean
01-24-2008, 02:48 PM
... I caught a 12 lber off the ore dock...

We call them, embyos! :mrgreen:

Mr. Dean
01-24-2008, 02:51 PM
So with all the poeple up North Island area, how come we arent having a get together? And by get together i mean Halibut fishing trip ;) Im a big fan of the storm islands, and there is something to be said about taylor bank as well...

IIRC.... The Storms are now RCA = No Fishing.
I'd have to look it up though.

Islandeer
01-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Swifty Bank. Biggest last season was 135. :shock: My son was guiding in the charlottes this summer and nailed 5 from 100 to 195.:shock::shock: If properly cleaned,cooled, filleted and cooked, I think they taste as good as the chickens.

Mr. Dean
01-24-2008, 04:41 PM
While cut-plugging for Chinooks, Mrs. Dean caught a 45 (Halli) on one of these;

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC_0001_edited-22.JPG

With a 15# test leader!!

That was interesting...

Inlet Hunter
01-24-2008, 07:49 PM
I am alway good for a picture or two:wink::-Dhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2_hali.JPG

Mr. Dean
01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I am alway good for a picture or two:wink::-D

If that don't make your eye's bug and your pooper pucker, I don't know what will.

NICE FISH!

BlacktailStalker
01-24-2008, 08:09 PM
A guy can easily limit out on springs and hali's trolling with 'choves or hootchies, great way to fish two species and add a little surprise to the day.

Browningmirage
01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
IIRC.... The Storms are now RCA = No Fishing.
I'd have to look it up though.

thought youd try and sneak that one past me huh

Storms are definately RCA, the flats we fish near them are not. Most of the good areas of NI are now RCA, (i am all for it), even 5 fathom reef in Hardy bay has a little one surrounding it. I think RCAs manage to preserve viable populations in tricky areas, so i have no problem with those regs.

Mr. Dean
01-25-2008, 01:09 AM
thought youd try and sneak that one past me huh

Storms are definately RCA, the flats we fish near them are not. Most of the good areas of NI are now RCA, (i am all for it), even 5 fathom reef in Hardy bay has a little one surrounding it. I think RCAs manage to preserve viable populations in tricky areas, so i have no problem with those regs.

NO.... not being "sneaky", just putting it up to save a lurker or 2 from getting busted. :wink:

For the most part, don't have a proplem with'em either. But some of them DO make my head spin ( :confused: ). Some of the "tricky" areas are pretty darn remote and see little pressure, even durring the tourist season. But I guess it keeps the longliners off as well, in the non-tourist seasons.

Down here is another story (Lower Georgia aka The Gong Show).... Not a good place to try and raise your Rochfish. Thats fer sure.

Mr. Dean
01-25-2008, 01:39 AM

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0002_edited-12.JPG

With a 15# test leader!!

That was interesting...

A guy can easily limit out on springs and hali's trolling with 'choves or hootchies, great way to fish two species and add a little surprise to the day.

Of all my years of drag'n herring for Springs, I have only caught 2 Halli's doing so. Both were complete surprises.

- The first one was a Jr. Embryo, caught off of the Fraser mouth.
- The second was the above quote. It hit the bait set @ 42' in water that was near 200' deep. We just finished 'dealing' with a Spring and were heading back to the reef we were fishing (drifted off). That Halli was way out of its element, even if it was fishing the same reef we were... Weird.

I know of guys that drag/troll the sandy bottoms for them, But they're out there targeting Halli's. Obviously you have a meathod thats special. Care to share?

I'm all about learning something new!

Mr. Dean
01-25-2008, 10:10 AM
http://www.iphc.washington.edu/halcom/pubs/bulletin/lenwtchart.htm

Any Halli-Hunter should have this.
Print a copy off, ziplock it, then keep it w/ your tackle.

The one's that I've compared, were close. It seems to work.

abbyfireguy
01-25-2008, 06:08 PM
I wish my boat was a bit bigger. I have fished off Pill Point and out to Cape Beal ,but, I won't venture out to 23 mile...
Where can I go for halis that doesn't involve being 10 miles off shore??
My 18 footer is Ok in most moderate seas but definately not an 23 mile offshore boat...Mostly a river sturgeon hunter and Salmon killing machine..
How far off Hardy are the halis??

Sitkaspruce
01-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Abbyfire

You can catch them 5 min from the dock. The nice thing about PH/PM is that it is close enough to the "outside" that it has great fishing, yet is a bit more sheltered from the west coast. Some great fishing off PH/PM. Lots of great fishing spots with in 20 min of either town.

Inlet Hunter
01-25-2008, 07:42 PM

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0002_edited-12.JPG

With a 15# test leader!!

That was interesting...

Christmas Of 1993
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Islander.JPG

Gerry
01-25-2008, 08:12 PM
On the fishing website that I frequent, they are talking today about DFO making possible changes to the halibut season like delaying the opening, changing limits and/or only opening day to day. :eek:

Islandeer
01-25-2008, 08:15 PM
the Feds have the quota all messed up. They have our southern neighbours catch from Swiftsure lumped into ours. Again we need to limit this"guest" fishery.

Gerry
01-25-2008, 08:24 PM
the Feds have the quota all messed up. They have our southern neighbours catch from Swiftsure lumped into ours. Again we need to limit this"guest" fishery.

You are absolutely right! Geez, we need to get Kutenay interested in this thread, he loves that kind of battle. :lol:

Mr. Dean
01-26-2008, 01:04 AM
The halibut quota's are seriously messed up. Not to mention the sportfishery as a whole.
There's even talk of the sportfishery buying quota from the commercials.

- GoatGuy had a couple of interesting postings a couple weeks back.
- BCWF is BEGGING for letters.

I'll see if I can find GG's thread.

Mr. Dean
01-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Inlethunter,
Them reels are sweet. I got mine as a 20 year service award, instead of the gold watch.

As far as I'm concerned... Its ALWAYS fish'n time!

Mr. Dean
01-26-2008, 01:13 AM
This is the one I was talking about: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18452

This one I missed: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18730

Excuse me, I need to do some reading...

Mr. Dean
01-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Looks like I'm outta the loop. It sounds as if "something" has happened to our halibut (?)

Anyone bring me up to speed?????

Sitkaspruce
01-26-2008, 10:43 AM
The boys on the Oregon and Washington coast were just told yesterday that it will be the same quota as last year, something along the line of 250 000 lbs for Oregon and about the same for Washington. Not sure about us though. I was going to get the 170 pg document from the guys on SportfishBC, but just do not have the time to look right now.

Tuffcity
01-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Apperantly the Canadian quota is being reduced as well, can't remember from what to what though. Also the rumour is that hali season might not open until March 01 to help achieve the reduced quota.

RC

Sitkaspruce
01-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Here is what was posted on SportfishBC. I borrowed it from there.
Does not look good.

B.C. SPORT FISHING ADVISORY BOARD

To Minister Loyola Hearn, Fisheries and Oceans Canada
January 25, 2008

Information regarding upcoming Main Board Meeting re Halibut

For all members:
As most of you are very aware, there have been ongoing deliberations by DFO and the SFAB regarding the management of the Canadian Recreational Halibut Fishery.
In Dec 2003, then Minister Thiebeualt, Minster of Fisheries and Oceans made a decision to fix the recreational sector at a 12% catch ceiling of the overall Canadian TAC. Growth in the recreational catch would be accommodated by a yet to be established market based mechanism.
In recent years, DFO has calculated the recreational catch to exceed this 12% cap resulting in negotiations with the Canadian stakeholders (recreational and commercial halibut reps) to establish the means by which a transfer might occur. Meetings are ongoing this and next week in efforts to establish this mechanism.
Last week the International Pacific Halibut Commission established its catch limits for the countries (areas) who jointly fish halibut. The net result to Canada further complicates the recreational sectors situation. The Canadian TAC was reduced by 21% which again shrinks the size of the recreational sectors share within the Cdn TAC. (See data in package prepared by DFO)
In addition to working to establish a transfer mechanism, DFO has held three meetings with the SFAB halibut committee to initiate discussion regarding possible management measures that might assist to achieve the recreational Cdn TAC.
The SFAB firmly holds the opinion that it is the government of Canada who needs to solve this problem via a compensated transfer from the commercial sector. However, without that yet to be aquired full transfer of allocation, we are in the position of having to consider a package (combination of management measures, transfers of quota, and resolving Neah Bay issue) in order to achieve DFO’s rec fish cap of 12%.
We have also maintained a firm position through out these meetings that no one geographic area should bare any particular pain more than others. The halibut committee has not endorsed the options presented to us here in this package. In fact, DFO and BC continues to press hard for specific measures to eliminate US charter boats fishing in Canadian waters, hence their inclusion of regulations outside of 12 miles in areas 121.
Today we face uncertainty. With the development of a transfer mechanism incomplete, we cannot be assured how much quota can be transferred to the recreational sector. With the main board looming next week we have been asked by DFO to review a series of possible management options and provide them feedback as to which of these options might be least damaging to the recreational fishery.
DFO believes that there are three likely scenarios that may occur. There are three options under each scenario. Each is detailed in the attachment. We are being asked to consult our members to recommend to DFO, which option, under each scenario.
The SFAB executive needs your prompt and thoughtful consideration of these options by end of day Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 in order for your perspectives to be integrated into a final recommendation that would be tabled at the main board on Feb 3. While in the Interim the SFAB Executive, Halibut and Groundfish Committees will still press for the shortfall to be fulfilled by a transfer mechanism.
Thank you and looking forward to receiving your thoughtful advice. Please send all correspondence to Devona Adams. adamsd@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca (adamsd@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca) and cc to Chuck Ashcroft, Chair SFAB Groundfish Shellfish Committee chuckashcroft@telus.net (chuckashcroft@telus.net) .
On behalf of the SFAB Executive and Halibut Committee,
Marilyn Murphy
Chair

Scenario 1 Savings of 480K lbs
(No fish through transfer mechanism)

•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121(>12nm); and a coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for full season(480K lbs), or
•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm); and a coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for July and August;
and a coastwide annual maximum size limit of 90cm (493K lbs), or
•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm); and a coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for July and August;
and a coastwide annual maximum size limit of 95cm (460K lbs).

Scenario 2 Savings of 380K lbs
(100K lbs through a transfer mechanism )

•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm); and a coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for July and August(360K lbs), or
•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm);; and a daily limit of 1/day for May, June and September; and a coastwideannual maximum size limit of 85cm (366K lbs), or
•Coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for July and August; and a coastwideannual maximum size limit of 95cm (400K lbs).

Scenario 3 Savings of 280K lbs
(200K lbs through a transfer mechanism )

•Coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for July and August(300K lbs), or
•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm); and a coastwideannual maximum size limit of 85cm (272K lbs), or
•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm); and a coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for May, June and September; and a coastwideannual maximum size limit of 90cm (287K lbs), or
•Coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for May, June and September; and a coastwideannual maximum size limit of 85cm (306K lbs).

Next Steps

•Delay opening date of recreational fishery to March 1
•Consultations
–Local SFAB committees with feedback to DFO by Jan 30,
–Groundfish/shellfish Working Group on Feb 1,
–MainboardSFAB on Feb 2-3
•Decision by senior managers
•Communication packages
•Future management options
–Coastal fish protection act
–Annual limit
–Over-under size limit

Mr. Dean
01-26-2008, 09:18 PM
WOW!!!

IF this is where its going, wouldn't an anual limit been better?

Releasing big fish safely and without hooks in its mouth IS impossible (literaly).
Whats the survial rate of a fish w/ a big-azz'd ss treble in its mouth?
I see gear restrictions comming next.

All for a sustainable fishery that belongs to the people of the country (Canada). I don't get it...

1/day.... Still allowed a 3 possesion?

huntsooke1
01-26-2008, 09:48 PM
going to be my first year trying for them and i loook forward to the experience

Bow Walker
01-27-2008, 12:00 AM
I've been peeling spuds ever since Deaner started this thread.

Mr. Dean
01-27-2008, 12:02 AM
BW,
I like mine crinkle-cut!

Bow Walker
01-27-2008, 09:21 AM
BW,
I like mine crinkle-cut!

:idea: How about a few "Wedgies" for you? :shock:

:rolleyes: Maybe I can carve in a special kink....er, I meant krinkle. :lol: