PDA

View Full Version : New to fly fishing, looking for some one to show me the ropes

sfire436
01-22-2008, 10:20 AM
I bought a good 5 lb 8 foot fly rod and am really interested in doing some trout fishing in the rivers/streams. Any takers? I have no Idea where to go.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Your arm is going to get really tired with a 5lb fly rod:wink:.

SSS

sfire436
01-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Is that too heavy for trout? I used it on a lake trip last year and it got alittle tired but not too bad. I asked the guy at the shop what to buy for smallies cause I was going to the island lakes and he sold me the 5, but then some others told me that was way too light for bass so I use if for trout.

Bpower
01-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Your rod is just fine for bass. I use a 5/6 weight rod. Try using a rubber legged wooly bugger for bass, I have had good success with this especially olive and black colours. Quick 6" strips on the line will get good hits. Many times the fly will just hit the water, you do one or two strips and you get a strike. Fly fishing for bass can be a lot of fun and they can be pretty good tasting as well. Another good thing about being a novice flyfisher is that the bass don't really get spooked by poor casts and frothing the water, in fact it is said that it aggrevates them into striking even more. If you are heading to the Island maybe try Spider Lake. Lots of Small Mouth Bass, focus around downed trees in the water and weeds. I don't think shore fishing would be very good but I think electric motors only are allowed (might want to double check though).

sfire436
01-22-2008, 11:48 AM
I tried spider lake, it sucked. I was using spinning gear with lures as well as tevas and carolina rigs. Nothing. we moved to quenell lake and we caught a fair amount there. And you are right, mighty tasty! Skins pretty thick but that is about it. Do you go out flyin for trout much?

Bpower
01-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I do a bit of fly fishing for trout but not as much as I would like to. It seems like I always get pretty busy when the season rolls around then before you know it it is the hot summer and the bite dies off. I'll PM you a couple of good lakes close by.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Is that too heavy for trout? I used it on a lake trip last year and it got alittle tired but not too bad. I asked the guy at the shop what to buy for smallies cause I was going to the island lakes and he sold me the 5, but then some others told me that was way too light for bass so I use if for trout.

5 weight and 5 lbs are slightly different things.
Just giving you a hard time.......

SSS

BlacktailStalker
01-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Spider lake is a tough fishery.
YOur 5 weight rod will be perfect for any fresh water (still) fishing you do around here.
The best time to fly fish spider is when the bass are sitting on their redds.
Its not uncommon to pick up a 20-24" trout on the fly then. Those big 'bows cruise the shallows in pairs and I've watched from above while one pisses off the guarding bass so he/she chases one off and the other darts in and robs the nest.
That is also the time for explosive takes from bass as they will strike to kill, tolerating nothing within their comfort area when they are on their redds.

Tarp Man
01-22-2008, 08:05 PM
You just happen to live in a great region to be into flyfishing. I have flyfished the Valley for 15 years, and I am still finding great little haunts. A great resource is the book "Fishing BC", made by the same people as the Backroad Mapbook series. You can pick them up at Canadian Tire, Wal Mart or your local tackle store worth its salt. Another resource is the Freshwater Fisheries Association. It posts stocking reports, and other valuable info. Also check out another specific fly fishing resource www.flybc.com (http://www.flybc.com) .

Now for a couple questions...
Do you prefer bass over trout?
Do you prefer stillwater (lakes) or creeks or rivers?
Do you have a boat or float tube?

Your 5wt rod will cover basically every fishing circumstance in the Lower Rainland and Freezing Valley excluding most Salmon. If you can, look to use a floating line and a sink tip (or full sink). This will cover you for almost every situation without breaking the bank.