PDA

View Full Version : New Flies

Tarp Man
01-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Are there many guys who tie their own flies here? I have recently gotten back into tying my own in the last couple years. I posted some pics of recent steelhead flies in my gallery. Anyone else?

kloosterboer
01-21-2008, 11:42 PM
I've done it a couple of times i'm not very good at it.:frown: But I gotta say catching something on you own fly is the coolest thing ever!:D

Sasquatch
01-21-2008, 11:51 PM
I've been tying my own for quite a few years, one of my favorite off season passtimes. Got a new rotary vice for christmas that I haven't tried yet. I get a real sense of accomplishment catching fish on flies I tied.

Dirty
01-22-2008, 12:05 AM
I tie my own flies. I like tying Salmon Flies, Trout Flies, and Marabou/Schlappen Steelhead Jigs. It is very rewarding when a fish crushes one of your hand tied flies. Two years ago I tied Jigs for 2 weeks straight. My first trip out I caught a 12lb wild buck on one of my jigs. To say that I was happy was an understatement. I couldn't get that grin off my face if I tried.

Big7
01-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Used to tie a ton of flies but sadly, don't seem to do as much fly fishing anymore...when I do, I tie a couple of quick flies and away I go. I used to really enjoy fly tying...just don't seem to have as much spare time these days!

The Dawg
01-22-2008, 12:20 AM
I used to tie quite a bit when I was a teenager...didnt have any fancy tools, just some needlenose and a block of wood as my 'vise'...my dad still has a bunch that I tied, and they actually produce results which is a great feeling....I would love to get back into it eventually.

Bow Walker
01-22-2008, 09:31 AM
I tied when I was going out regularily with "The Team" in the truck and camper. It was very relaxing on a rainy day just to sit inside, dry and warm, watching the rain - drinking a pot of coffee - and tieing up a few for when the weather broke.

I'm looking forward to getting back into it again. Oh yeah...catching one on a fly that you just made up? Priceless.

newhunterette
01-22-2008, 09:49 AM
have been tying flies since I was 5 years old - a freind of the family gave me some hooks and pretty feathers and string and said go for it - I was so excited - I loved all the pretty colours and made some pretty wild flies that everyone enjoyed trying out - of course they never held up well when they hit the water but eventually he taught me how to get them right and have tied flies now for friends and family - was given a fly tying kit fully loaded about 10 years ago for Mothers Day and have now passed the tradition on to Azshia as she loves to tie her chronomids - love to sit down at the cabin for some quiet time and tie up a few (when I have quiet time)

Wild one
01-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I tie my own flys they may not look veary good but the fish seem to like them

BlacktailStalker
01-22-2008, 07:41 PM
I've tied flies for almost 20 years and studied entomology when I was in my teens, attributing to my giant library on fly fishing/tying.
Definitely something I havent done in quantity for the same reason above, time.
I always bang off what I need IF I dont already have it. I have about 1000 flies tied up and I don't often have what I need :)
I mostly tie for steelies, lakes and estuary fishing.

For steelie swingin', I have the most success on popsicle flies.
My most interesting pattern would be "the girdle bug from hell" that is bar none a top producer on the Dean River.