PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a bow for deer hunting

Island Blacktail
01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
I was told to get a hoyt bow what make and model would you recomend for hunting deer and maybe elk.

Tuffcity
01-18-2008, 05:39 PM
I was told to get a hoyt

I was told to get a chevy/ford/dodge/toyota... :) find some bow guys and go try out a few different makes and models before you decide. Some rigs fit people differently.

RC

Bowzone_Mikey
01-18-2008, 05:43 PM
PM comming yer way

Bow Walker
01-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I bought the first one that was handed to me by the "expert" in Boorman's. I didn't know my ass from page four about selecting a bow at that time. I just got used to the bow.

Now, I'd highly recommending trying as many different bows as you can before even thinking about buying. If you buy now - guaranteed you'll be changing up within two years.

Advice = what mistakes others have made and what they don't want you to go through.

01-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Each to their own when buying something like this. Some really like Hoyt, some like PSE, others like the 'not so popular brands'. Go into a store, like Boormans. They offer a beginners archery course and teach you the proper technique from the beginning. You might find you don't want to use a compund bow...who knows.

You need something with a good pull that will deliver enough FPS to make the direct shot that will bring the animal down. It's easier with a rifle to make a second shot relatively quickly if for some reason a bad shot is made in the first instance. With a bow, not as easy to make the second shot really fast if you need to. So get something that will get the job done the first time.:cool:

walker(bandit)
01-18-2008, 07:33 PM
i have a hoyt you can try depending on right hand or left and your draw length.