PDA

View Full Version : Sons first elk

TGF
01-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Son and I head up 4 hours north of Prince George as he has an elk draw (antlerless). We get word from a farmer last night that he has 80 elk in his fields so at 10pm last night we decide to go for it. After 4 hours drive over some areas in Pine pass that have 8 feet of snow on side of road, it was nice to get to Chetwynd area and find very little snow. Drive to farmers field which is about a kilometer long and 300 meters wide and the road we are driving on is parallel to it. We spot group of 30 but still a little dark to spot antlers. Have to make sure we don't make a mistake and shoot a bull. So we drive past them to neighbours place, then notice the elk start heading toward bush. We backtrack and now they are running along the long length of field trying to cross road we were on. Not sure why they didn't continue to head straight for bush but we were happy to have another chance. We race the VW golf back to where the elk are racing to cross the road. We get there before them and hope they will cross but they turn abruptly and race back the way they just came from. Hopped out of vehicle and son can't get a good steady cross hair on any of them as moving fast at 175 yards. So we turn and head back chasing them to get another chance maybe. They run 400 meters back (with us racing beside them) then same thing, they turn around and head back the same way they came from. I decided to hang back a little more as I'm running the golf with them. They come close to the road and 20 yards from crossing son gets out of vehicle, elk turn yet again and running back the other way. Son pulls up the 7mm Rem Mag and gets good line on a running cow that is about 80 yards away. Bang and the elk keep running, can't shoot again as they all grouped close together while running. So he lost seeing which one he was shooting at. None flinched or acted strangely. I was surprised one didn't go down as he has always killed with one shot. I heard these elk were tough. I tell him to get back in car and we turn around yet again. Maybe we can get another chance. The group is running but one starts lagging behind, then dragging a back leg, then topples over. Yeeee Haaaaw he did connect with a good lung shot. She had run 100 yards from where he hit her.
Left had left house at 4 am and back in town by 2 pm. Pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/terrygonefishing/c1-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/terrygonefishing/c4-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/terrygonefishing/c2-2.jpg
All this running back and forth in the field reminded me of the wild west back in the old days when the natives used to race animals with their horses. So in modern day we were chasing them with the VW Golf (Turbo diesel)
Now I can get back to the more important things in life like fishing.

Schmaus
01-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Thats good shooting. Sounds just about exactly like the time I went up there.

CanuckShooter
01-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Sweet, just nothing like taking your kids out and having success !!!

01-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Nice shootin! Great story too. How'd you fit that thing in the Hatchback? haha

pitdog
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Nice Elk, congrats to you and your son.

Gateholio
01-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Interesting hunting method.:shock:

NIce elk, congrats to your son.:smile:

todbartell
01-18-2008, 02:05 PM
BC hunting/trapping synopsis

page 18, #3

KevinB
01-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Nice going on your son for getting his first elk.

Bartell's thought was the same one I had though...something to keep in mind on future hunts :wink:

...but nice elk.

Deaddog
01-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Congrats to your son on his first elk

eastkoot
01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I'll say it...So, if it wasn't a diesel, would you still be able to run it down and be the sportsman you are ???

Thunderstix
01-18-2008, 04:04 PM
I did not read the entire thread or ponder it before adding my original comments.

Onesock
01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Good ya got one, but I wouldn't tell that story too often.

tracker
01-18-2008, 04:47 PM
stick to fishing your hunting tactics suck:mad:

BCLongshot
01-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Great that you were out with your son !

Chasing animals with your vehicle, quad whatever is not cool !

Admit what you did was wrong please !

Fisher-Dude
01-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Hopefully none of the other cows miscarry from being chased around with a car.

Best your son hunts with someone else so he can learn some ethics, and the law, IMO.

kbb
01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
I want to see the elk in the back of the VW

BOOMSTICK
01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Congrats to you and your son on the elk.8)

orion
01-18-2008, 05:22 PM
I am pleased that your son was able to make a good shot on his first animal and not panic in the disturbance afterwards.

However, as well as this "hunt" being illegal, IMHO it is the epitomy of everything that hunting is not! Hopefully on his next animal he will have the experience of legally stalking and then shooting his animal. Please give him this opportunity as it is much more rewarding even if it takes more than one session.

Gateholio
01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Maybe I'll just lock this thread....