PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Recruitment Recommendations???

dana
01-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Just wondering how many of the recommendations that were proposed in the report last year are going to be a reality this upcoming season? Anyone have any insider news? Really interested as my daughter is turning 10 this year and I'd love to see the Jr. Hunting Licence have it's own deer tag. Any ideas about more Jr. Antlerless seasons being proposed as well?

frenchbar
01-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Ive often wondered why jr hunters under the age of 14 wouldnt be able to take game on there own tags. does it affect recruitment having the parent having to burn his own tags?

frenchbar
01-17-2008, 09:32 PM
I.M.O.10 TO 13 are the yrs you want to have your kids do as much hunting as they can to help keep them lifers to the sport. More tags mean more hunting time.

TriggerMag
01-17-2008, 09:49 PM
I was under the impression that a 10 yr old can have their own license and tags if they take the CORE course. If they don't take the course then they use your tag.

as per the regs.

When a BC resident who is 10 years of
age or older completes CORE, he or
she is entitled to a BC Resident Hunter
Number Card, and to have a bag limit
of his or her own, to purchase a hunting
licence, and to enter the limited entry
hunting draw.

3. A Junior Hunting Licence can only be
issued to a parent or guardian on behalf
of his/her child or ward who is 10 years
of age or older and under the age of 14.
The junior hunter need not have completed
a hunter training program but
must be accompanied and under the
close personal supervision of an adult
who carries the proper licences. Wildlife
taken by the junior under this licence is
included in the bag limit of the accompanying
licensed adult. No species
licences may be purchased with the
junior licence. However, during a hunting
season, a licensed junior hunter may
accompany and hunt with an adult
holding a valid Limited Entry Hunting
authorization and a valid species licence.

Please correct me if i am wrong,

These quotes are directly out of the hunting regulations.

dana
01-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Yea, I can read the regs thanks. :wink: One of the hunter recruitment recommendations was to change that and allow Jr. Hunter's to have their own deer tag and grouse baglimit. Just was wondering if that proposal was accepted or if it was just wishful thinking.
I already went through the process of watching my son take the CORE when he was 10 1/2. I can tell ya for a fact that they did not design that course for kids of that age. I would rather have my daughter wait a little longer before she has to endure that pain. She will be burning my tags, and I don't have a problem with that. Means we will be hunting in other Regions though, as I want to keep my local Region tag for the late season. It sure would be nice to be able to hunt my local Region with her, but under the current system, that is not going to happen. That is why I am asking if the proposal was accepted or if it fell to the floor.

frenchbar
01-17-2008, 10:20 PM
If there 10 and can hunt and handle a fire arm and shoot game on your tags,why not have there own tags at that age .some kids that age arent ready to do the core.more time in the feild hunting with dad or mom would be a good thing dont ya think ,untill they are a little more seasoned and ready to take there core at say 13 .

dana
01-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Frenchbar,
I totally agree. I think the proposals put forward were quite thought out. Sure hope many will be adopted.

Steeleco
01-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I agree with Dana, my son is 11 and hunts with me all the time. He's not mentally ready for core but would love to cut his own tag.

I too am eagerly awaiting to see what comes of the talks. Hopefully one of our more connected members pipes in soon?

frenchbar
01-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Dana .i know what ya mean about kids and the core .even my son at 13 had a tough time with the core .had to put in a lot of my time with him to get him through it .

Will
01-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Well it'll likely take years of BSing to make any changes to the regs.....they don't exactly rush them in:roll:

I'll be awaiting for some replies to your inquiry though...I only got 3 more Years till my Boy will be puching my tags....someone has to do it ! :lol::wink:

01-18-2008, 12:38 AM
I believe the jr/youth tag issue requires a change to the Wildlife Act and that review is still underway and I wish I knew what's going on, gov has been pretty quiet on that lately, but so far they've been pretty good at supporting the recruitment/retention strategy. Another proposal was to lower the adult age from 19 to 18.

Eichelherr
01-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Im gonna get my first hunting license this year, and ive convinced two buddies to take the firearms and core courses (im still working on the third guy). Its only a matter of time until this causes a mushroom effect....
________
Rolls-Royce Wraith (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Wraith)