PDA

View Full Version : hunting cats with dogs

humble hunter
01-17-2008, 08:30 PM
I was wondering what other members feelings were on hunting cougars, lynx, and bobcats with dogs. I have some friends that are sitting by their cellphones waiting for the call that there is a cougar treed so they can go and shoot it. They have a friend that has the hounds and has already taken many cats but loves the pursuit. They do go out on the weekends for the pursuit but during the week, while working, they will get the call that there is a cat treed and to come and shoot it. I just think it is lame. I don't see this a trophy at all. To top it off my friend wants to shot it with his bow, (what a feat) I can see the fun and exercise in the pursuit but shooting something out of a tree that you have not put the time into takes no skill.

BearSniper
01-17-2008, 08:38 PM
I agree.....its a bit lame:(

Thats kind of like getting a call from your local farmer friend that a nice Mule deer has wandered into his barn with the cows, and the door shut behind him. "Come on over and shoot him in the barn".

Not my kind of hunting. Doesn't sound like a lot of work goes into the effort. More fun hiking, grunting and sweating to get your quarry.

just my 2 cents

rifleman
01-17-2008, 08:51 PM
i think yer right. thats not hunting at all.

horshur
01-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Friggin pathetic.

Nait Hadya
01-17-2008, 09:23 PM
im impressed that y'all place the lion in such high esteem.

Barracuda
01-17-2008, 09:39 PM
who is this person you are talking about?
For us it is all about working the dogs and yes if you put in the work you can chose to be rewarded for your efforts .
what your describing is pretty sad , if someone wants to join us on a hunt and put in the work with the hounds it can be a real adventure but to sit by a phone and wait for a call to shoot a cat in a tree seems a bit lame not to mention somewhat far fetched .
I understand that not many folks are equipped to have hounds and I have plenty of folks that would like to go out with us with the hounds for a hunt some for cat and some for bear and some just to experiance the hounds (dont worry guys I am not forgetting you) but I cant say i have never been asked to call someone if i have an animal up a tree (not like you would get cell svc anyway) .

are you sure this isnt a ruse????

.308win
01-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I have no problem with using dogs to track/hunt cats, However, sitting by the phone waiting for somone to call and say "get over here, got one in a tree!" would ruin the fun for me! I want to help find the tracks, and be part of the chase! In my mind, these to things are the hunt!...Just my .02

Perry

115 or bust
01-17-2008, 10:03 PM
All the guys I know that have dogs or have had them in the past would never let anyone who was not on the hunt shoot an animal. They expect you not only to be there but to earn it by helping out on previous hunts and there is a very strong pecking order and you have to earn your right to come along. Even after they let you come it is very unlikely they will let you shoot until you've chewed up enough rock bluff to wear out your meindahls. Lol theres way too many eager guys waiting to go running to phone someone just to shoot the cat. When I was a kid my uncles used to run cats just for fun and let them go once they were tagged out. Its a fantastic sport and I have never met a lazy cougar hunter yet.

humble hunter
01-17-2008, 10:07 PM
No it is not a ruse, they feel that they have been going out weekend after weekend getting close but not closing the deal, so they feel that they have put the work in. I would actually like to go out on a hunt with the dogs just for the experience and to take some pictures. As far as shooting the animal out of a tree, I would just not feel right about it. I have been predator hunting for a few years and have shot lots of coyotes and a lynx (which I have mounted and am very proud of). I will keep trying to call in a cougar but it may never happen, if we always got everything we hunted then it would probably get boring. Don't get me wrong though, I fully respect poeple that have the dogs and take the time to train them. I believe that working the dogs is probably the important thing to them. (I would hope)

Barracuda
01-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I dont agree with that at all.
if someone wants to come along on a hunt with me be it hound or not that is one thing , heck i will even take them too a honey hole but to go shoot an animal someone has done the work for is akin to picking up roadkill and saying you shot it in my book.

One other thing that irks me though is folks that say shooting an animal once it is in the tree is unsporting? . if you have put in the effort it is no less sport then shooting from a blind or a treestand etc...

what you have described is a sad state of affairs.

humble hunter
01-17-2008, 11:22 PM
These are 2 poeple I have hunted with since I was a kid and are fairly responsible hunters, we are just in major disagreement over this. If they participate in the hunt and then harvest the animal there is nothing to say. Different strokes for different folks. They have told me about previous weekends hunting and it sounds quite exciting and one hell of a work out, I just don't think I could shoot the animal out of the tree.

Elkhound
01-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Barracuda has the right attitude here

Hunterguy
01-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Hunting cats with dogs is no different than filling up a 45 gallon drum full of what ever and then shooting a black bear in the ass or what have you when he finds the scent and has been baited. Most of the cat season is hot and heavey when there is snow, if you want to hunt cats then forget the dogs and track the animal, no different than if it was a deer, etc. Sorry cat hunting is something I would expect to read about in an American Outdoor Magazine. Sorry.

Will
01-17-2008, 11:59 PM
This is actually pretty common practise......

Here a quote from one Van Island outfitter ad...

Cougar hunting guides at North Island Guide Outfitters have been hand picked by owner / operator Dave Fyfe for their world-class cougar hounds, and have maintained a 100% success rate since 1991 with "on call" hunts.
It is best to have the cougar hunters 'on call' during the season because weather plays an important part in a successful hunt. Scheduled cougar hunters have been 80% successful on a kill, while 'on call' hunters have had 100% success on a trophy kill.

Fair chase ? :?

Let me add before I'm accused of being a Houndsmen hater....I have no problems with Hounding Cats. I just feel that to have any kind of "right" to plug the Cat when the chase is done you should participate if able......sitting on one's a$$ waiting for a call then rushing to the scene to blast the critter from a tree is well...............the Lamist Sport I've ever heard of, and Folks doing so should be ashamed of themselves:oops:

Barracuda
01-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Hunting cats with dogs is no different than filling up a 45 gallon drum full of what ever and then shooting a black bear in the ass or what have you when he finds the scent and has been baited. Most of the cat season is hot and heavey when there is snow, if you want to hunt cats then forget the dogs and track the animal, no different than if it was a deer, etc. Sorry cat hunting is something I would expect to read about in an American Outdoor Magazine. Sorry.

I needed that break from reality:lol:

you sound completly uninformed as to the ways of hound hunting and you also dont seem to realize that cats are also hunted on dryground where seasons permit.
Also alot of hound guys dont like to run hounds during deer seasons because single digit IQ mouth breathers seem to think that they should shoot dogs running loose regardless of if there is a seson for the hounds to be out there.
Snowy conditions not make it infintely easier for scent molecules to be picked up by a hound unless the conditions are perfect and dogs dont look at a set of tracks and follow them as humans do.
seeing tracks in the snow helps the hunter with identification and to come about a decision as to drop the hound so it is really more of a benifit to the hunter then it is the hound

JoshLedoux
01-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Let's not forget that hound hunting cats it's a perfectly legitimate and ethical method of hunting and chasing cats. It is no right of anyone to come down on another member for excercising his/her right to do so. Ps some of us do realize the endless hours and years of training and commitment required to use and love these hounds that you've put in.

hunter1947
01-18-2008, 05:16 AM
To me shooting a cat out of a tree is no challenge. The challenge comes when you have to keep ground with your dogs ,that is hard work. Cats have to be controlled like any other predator and and buy hunting them with hounds is the most productive way of doing it.

happygilmore
01-18-2008, 05:43 AM
I've hunted with hounds when I was young- grew up with them so I have a little experience. From what it sounds like I don't see anything wrong with what your buddies are doing, as long as they have been hunting when they can. If I was hunting cats for a couple weeks and had to go back to work and my bud calls me to say "we got one for ya" I'd for sure take it, if not to fill my tag and save my buddie from using his.

If you walked 10miles everyday looking for this monster whitetail and one morning you just get to where you park your truck and there he is broadside at 100yds you don't shoot? Call it a gift and make steak!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-18-2008, 05:48 AM
Cat hunting is all about the hunt. The kill is the least exciting part.
Tell your buddies that it's fine for them to wait by their phones but only to help pack out the cat:smile:.

Maye be hound guy could call them once he cuts a good set of tracks:confused:?

SSS

calvin L
01-18-2008, 06:36 AM
I have been on a number of cat hunts . I too think you should be in on the chase not get a phone call. . I was on one hunt we could get a wheel chair the the cat and I have been on many that we never did catch up to the cat or the dog's . In deep snow it has been the hardest hunt I had ever been apart of . Waiting for a phone call to come shoot a cat for me is the same as buying a mount and making up some BS story about the hunt . That is just for me thought . They are doing no wrong and if they feel ok about it so be it .And no I have not killed a cat yet I have not had the ONE (only)up a tree yet . One day I hope .

calvin L

Walksalot
01-18-2008, 07:28 AM
There will always be hunters who don't give a rodents rectum about the events leading up to the conclusion of the hunt, it is all about the kill. Not my cup of tea but it is easy to see how it could happen especially where remuneration is involved.
I have no desire to shoot a cougar as I think they are magnificent animals, the paramount of anything wild, silent, solitary hunters. It simply is not my idea of hunting to shoot a cat out of a tree but hey, that's just me. If it floats your boat and it's legal then fill your boots. One guy was bragging about how he shot a cougar with a bow and how his first arrow was to far back. He excitedly told me how the animal tried to pull the arrow out. I came so close to raining on his parade but I kept my comments to myself.

timberhunter
01-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Reading this thread only leaves me with one conclusion to make.

Those that say "I would never shoot a cat in a tree, or I would never hunt a cat with hounds"

You guys need to go out on a chase with dogs before you can pass judgement on houndsmen. You are all forgetting that it is a legal hunting method, and quite acceptable. It allows you to choose to take the shot, judge the animal, make sure its not a female. Or to snap the leads on the dogs, lead them away from the tree and let the cat go. Something you would not be able to do if you just had to take a snap shot at a cat you saw in the bush. Trust me all you would get time for is a snap shot, before the cat is gone in 99% of cat sightings.

I've read a lot of posts that give the impression some think they are superior hunters, and would not hunt a cat with dogs. That it is unfair!!!
But you must remember that it is a legal hunting method, which means you have no right to pass judgement on those that would hunt a cat with dogs. Why post if you don't like it? A simple post that reads "no I wouldn't" . Instead of slamming a legal hunting method. Hunting is a previliage, not a right in canada. And we need to be supportive of everyones legal hunting methods, not give ammunition to those who would like to stop hunting of certain species.

Fisher-Dude
01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Reading this thread only leaves me with one conclusion to make.

Those that say "I would never shoot a cat in a tree, or I would never hunt a cat with hounds"

You guys need to go out on a chase with dogs before you can pass judgement on houndsmen. You are all forgetting that it is a legal hunting method, and quite acceptable. It allows you to choose to take the shot, judge the animal, make sure its not a female. Or to snap the leads on the dogs, lead them away from the tree and let the cat go. Something you would not be able to do if you just had to take a snap shot at a cat you saw in the bush. Trust me all you would get time for is a snap shot, before the cat is gone in 99% of cat sightings.

I've read a lot of posts that give the impression some think they are superior hunters, and would not hunt a cat with dogs. That it is unfair!!!
But you must remember that it is a legal hunting method, which means you have no right to pass judgement on those that would hunt a cat with dogs. Why post if you don't like it? A simple post that reads "no I wouldn't" . Instead of slamming a legal hunting method. Hunting is a previliage, not a right in canada. And we need to be supportive of everyones legal hunting methods, not give ammunition to those who would like to stop hunting of certain species.

Amen. Those who would beak off the loudest have never been dere done dat. Those who compare cat hunting with shooting a baited bear in the ass should think carefully about what they are implying - baiting bears in BC is illegal and shooting a bear in the ass is immoral, where pursuing cats and shooting them humanely is NOT. Don't confuse your own preferences with what is illegal/legal.

humble hunter
01-18-2008, 08:45 AM
For the record, I did not say I was against this type of hunting. I believe it is a lot of work to train and keep the dogs. I just don't think I personally could shoot a cat from a tree. I would love to participate in a hunt and shoot some pictures but that is it. My other friends and I all agree that if you are on a guided hunt then the trophy does not count and I think that this falls into that category.

Mr. Dean
01-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Something you would not be able to do if you just had to take a snap shot at a cat you saw in the bush. Trust me all you would get time for is a snap shot, before the cat is gone in 99% of cat sightings.

This is precisely what makes hound hunting an important part of conservation. It ensures that females aren't taken.

"Hey Bert! I'm off of RipLip point.... The Spring's are HUGE, and the bite is on... NOW"!!!!

What would you do? :twisted:

mainland hunter
01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Alot of people want to knock something they haven't tried. The argument that it isnt sporting to shoot a cat out of a tree isnt far off from an anti hunters argument that it isnt sporting to shoot a deer with a rifle. Hunting to me isnt a sport anyway its a way of life and a good way of life at that. Alot of the image problems hunting in general has in the eyes of the public is the use of the word sport in there. I would love to shoot a cat in a tree after a long chase and I would love the kitty steaks afterwards.

2slow
01-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I would call that grocery shopping not hunting(waiting for the call to come and shoot the animal out of the tree) and don't see how they could take any pride at all in the kill. Hound hunting sounds like a hell of alot of work and a huge time commitment to your dogs---hats off to those guys

Stone Sheep Steve
01-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Ran into a friend yesterday that spent last season guiding in the Koots. When I asked him how his clients were he said most were good but he had one that came for a 10 day goat hunt. He hunted 3 days and then went home. He said it would be easier to just buy a mount from his taxidermist and make up a story:roll:........................

SSS

Jetboater
01-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Id give my left nut to be chasing cats right now.... any excuse to get out... just to pack a video camera... Ive been thinking of getting a couple of hounds myself... just need a little guidance....

SHAKER
01-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Aw! a good thread finally! First off, if someone asked me to give them a call if I had a cat tree'd so they could shoot it, I would tell them to $@&% ($@&%) *##!
And some of you guys are right the shot is a slam dunk! But their is the real fact of what went on to get their.

I know some people don't agree with hound hunting and thats fine, but I don't think you will find a more dedicated group of people or social about what they do.

Took me 5 years to finally get a cat in the tree worth taking and probably won't shoot another one for a long time. It really isn't about kill'n them.

This way of hunting takes years to even get reasonably good at and large amounts of $$$$$$.

Even the poor old resident cat hunter in B.C. has :
-pack of hounds that have been usually raised from pups, and usually takes a couple years before you get some good dogs, and good dogs need to make way for great dogs! So your pup may not make it to be hunt'n material and others must be aquired.
-Dog food for the year, vet bills and replacing what ever they will distroy.
-Collars, leashes, radio tracking equiptment, shock collars,
-Hunt'n truck with some sort of "Dog Box"
-ATV with "Dog box"
-Snowmobile with some sort of dog transportion (larger rear rack, tow behind sled box ect.)
-Some sort of non average hunt'n rifle, small, short, light,
-Fuel cost for above vehicles for run'n hundreds of miles a year look'n for track.

And for what? well for most of us, the thrill of watching your pack take trail, sing that mountain music, and maybe have a full tree when you get their! If you want to get into this sport to kill criters? you should probably go back to shoot'n deer out of feed lots! But for an unbelievable thrill and great way to get off the couch in the winter, GO FOR IT!

horshur
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
My boy has been told that he must have his dog under a tree in order for him to have a choice of shooting a cougar or bear. So Russ and his brother are raising pups this year.
The journey is much more important than the end.

Here's pics of the boy's and there dog's Christmas day.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0601.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0597.jpg

NEEHAMA
01-18-2008, 12:26 PM
if someone called me and invited me to shoot a cat in a tree, i'd jump in my truck and go shoot the cat. THAT WOULD BE NEATO!

Mr. Dean
01-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Aw! a good thread finally! First off, if someone asked me to give them a call if I had a cat tree'd so they could shoot it, I would tell them to $@&% *##!
And some of you guys are right the shot is a slam dunk! But their is the real fact of what went on to get their.

I know some people don't agree with hound hunting and thats fine, but I don't think you will find a more dedicated group of people or social about what they do.

Took me 5 years to finally get a cat in the tree worth taking and probably won't shoot another one for a long time. It really isn't about kill'n them.

This way of hunting takes years to even get reasonably good at and large amounts of $$$$$$.

-pack of hounds that have been usually raised from pups, and usually takes a couple years before you get some good dogs, and good dogs need to make way for great dogs! So your pup may not make it to be hunt'n material and others must be aquired.
-ATV with "Dog box"
-Snowmobile with some sort of dog transportion (larger rear rack, tow behind sled box ect.)
-Fuel cost for above vehicles for run'n hundreds of miles a year look'n for track.

And for what? well for most of us, the thrill of watching your pack take trail, sing that mountain music, and maybe have a full tree when you get their! If you want to get into this sport to kill criters? you should probably go back to shoot'n deer out of feed lots! But for an unbelievable thrill and great way to get off the couch in the winter, GO FOR IT!

Thanks for painting the picture!

Spokerider
01-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Cat hunting starts the day you bring a 10 week old hound puppy home, continues 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for years and years to come. It becomes a way of life, and not a means to an end.

Now add Barracuda's and Horsur's remarks here.....

Now, compare this picture to hunting deer in the full rut......jump in the truck, drive and hour or two, spot a buck on the road looking at you look at him, jump out, bang-flop, drag the carcass into the truck, two days later, take the cape / rack to your local taxidermist.
Rather simplified, I admit, but, two real scenarios on hunting here in BC. Of course, hunting is rarely this simplified, but you get the idea....

Fisher-Dude
01-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Aw! a good thread finally! First off, if someone asked me to give them a call if I had a cat tree'd so they could shoot it, I would tell them to $@&% *##!

-ATV with "Dog box"

Well said. I've got a book whitey and a book elk. Both were far easier to get than my first cat.

People who have never hunted cats just don't understand the social aspect of the hunt either. The comaraderie of trailing the dogs when they are baying treed is great. How many of us get to have all of our friends with us, laughing, encouraging, and enjoying the hunt when we are pursuing game? I've only really experienced that during a cat hunt, besides having a hunting partner with me when game just happened to show up.

Cat hunting is one of the most physically demanding hunts there is. Releasing your hounds on what you think is a fresh track at 8 am and catching them two drainages away at 8 pm is a LOT of work. My hat's off to anyone who does it.

Will
01-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Cat hunting is one of the most physically demanding hunts there is. Releasing your hounds on what you think is a fresh track at 8 am and catching them two drainages away at 8 pm is a LOT of work.
Oh Please...........:roll:

Hound hunting is for Rich fat Lazy Folks that cannot muster up enough energy to find Tracks, trail and chase down a Cougar on thier own so they get dogs to do it for them :grin:

:lol::wink:

Barracuda
01-18-2008, 07:47 PM
I resemble that remark !!!!:lol::lol:

Will
01-18-2008, 08:16 PM
I jest of course........some aren't Rich:neutral:

Fisher-Dude
01-18-2008, 08:25 PM

So do I....ummmm....except for that "rich" part...8-)

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2008, 08:25 PM
If all goes well I'll be on that list pretty quick here !!!
One of my mulie partners is getting a couple hounds and I'm gonna get one or two.
Hopefully have it figured out within the week :)

ElkMasterC
01-18-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't know what the fuss is about, really. I have a 170 class Texas Whitetail I shot from my living room last year, when I had a broken leg. It was as easy as watching a Webcam from home, paying the fee, and operating the remote-controlled rifle with my mouse. I couldn't get out that year, and still wanted to hunt, so who's to stop me?
I have no trouble waiting for a cell-phone call to go shoot a treed cat, because maybe the guy's gotta work, and pay the bills, and hunting is just a pleasurable sideline. Maybe the mount is more important than the memories? To each his own, who am I to judge? Maybe he just wants a full den, and is willing to do what it takes, and hold down a job at the same time. Gotta respect that.
It's like this year, when I couldn't get enough time off work for an Elk hunt, so my buddies and I went to a Buffalo Ranch, and bow-hunted a nice bull. The freezer's full of meat, and I got a nice head for the wall, and I was back at work on Monday. Win/Win.
If someone wants to call me to shoot a cat in a tree, I'll give 'em my cell number, and hopefully I can be back at work before day's end, and still be on the clock. Where do I sign up?'We can't all put the time in to have these idealized romanticized hunts that some of you wax idyllic about. Some of us have jobs, so why should we judge each other. Killing is killin', ain't it?
Happy Hunting!

Laurence_Erickson
01-18-2008, 10:59 PM
humble hunter ,your buddies waiting by the phone for a call is all good and fine .In our society these days there are many people that will be satisfied with hanging something on the wall ,with as little physical input as possible.I have no problem at all with that.The problem I see here is the new age hounds man that is willing to let this happen.I raised ,trained and ran dogs for many years and years ago hounds men would have no sooner considered this than shooting there best dog .Usually the guys that have the ambition too have dogs won't stoop to the level of involving them selves into this kind of partnership.If they are true hounds men they will go and tree cats just too tree cats ,the killing is by no means the highlight of cat hunting .If you want a cat bad enough it's like shaker says ,it costly and the guy that hasn't got dogs need to put in his time to be able to collect one of the best trophies our province has too offer . Just my 2 cents .The only guy I no with dogs now ,tells these kinda fellows that when they got a hot track to call him and he will bring dogs ,just another twist to getting your cat I suppose.

Will
01-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Killing is killin', ain't it?

Yes it is, but "Hunting" is far, far more then simply "Killing" :-|

Gateholio
01-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Has anyone ever called up a buddy and said "Hey! I spotted a buck/bear last afternoon..Should be in the same area tomorrow....Want to come get it?"

I know I have...

Kinda similar, IMHO...Although I would suggest that a call like "Hey, we are hot on the trail of a cat-get your butt out here" is closer than " The cat is in a tree, we will keep it there for 2 hours until you can gt off work and get here"

Will a cat stay in a tree for an hour or 2? No clue???

hunter1947
01-19-2008, 05:54 AM
When you fill a tag ,it doesent matter in my books how you fill it as long as it is done legal ,99% of the time you have to use dogs in order to hunt a cat. I have gone on a few cat hunts over the years and i will tell you something if your out of shape ,stay home. Sometimes you have to run up hill and through the Shite's jungle that a rabbit wouldn't go through. I am behind cat hunters a 100%http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif ,it is the only way to control them ,good for you cat hunters out there ,I take my hat off to you cat hunters. Keep up the good work.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Fisher-Dude
01-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Kinda similar, IMHO...Although I would suggest that a call like "Hey, we are hot on the trail of a cat-get your butt out here" is closer than " The cat is in a tree, we will keep it there for 2 hours until you can gt off work and get here"

Will a cat stay in a tree for an hour or 2? No clue???

Not too often in my experience. 10 minutes to half an hour or so is what I've seen mostly. One stayed in the tree long enough for my crazy buddy to climb the adjacent tree and try to touch its tail :shock:(he was able to reach it with a small stick), but that's another story! It sometimes depends if the cat has been pursued before - they tend to learn that they can bail without harm if they've been "caught and released" a few times.

And when a cat bails, it's quite possible that you could end up with a hurt or dead dog too, as they tend to come out of the tree ready to take down whatever is in their way.

I think the scenario of "Get out here, we have found a hot track" like Gate described is what will happen. Is that really a lot different from the radios we use between our cat hunting groups after we split up to look for tracks?

Ummm - the more I think about this thread - how old are the OP's friends? The houndsmen I know are more likely to be laughing their asses off at the fast one they pulled on the city slicker kids who are waiting eagerly at home for a phone call - they are just pullin' their chain.

SHAKER
01-19-2008, 10:07 AM
[quote=Will;231568]Oh Please...........:roll:

Hound hunting is for Rich fat Lazy Folks that cannot muster up enough energy to find Tracks, trail and chase down a Cougar on thier own so they get dogs to do it for them :grin:

:shock: That's the most closed minded thing I've ever heard! By the way, I may have a little bit of beer gut, and am lazy from time to time buy I sure aint rich!:wink: Ignorance is bliss I guess!
Too the rest of ya It's SNOWING and I'm heading out tomarrow morning!

Barracuda
01-19-2008, 10:37 AM
staying in a tree really depends on the animal some are real flighty and the minute they see a person they bail and the race is on again and some animal seem to relax and just take a nap in the tree .

It just crossed my mind that this could be a usefull tool , next time i lose my hounds (which i know i will) i could call a whole slew of fellas that are desperate for a cat and "hey Bob,Frank,Bill etc.. I got this real toad on the line if ya want your cat better hurry up and get out here"

that way I could get a real search party looking for the hounds:razz:

I will say that this thread has got me thinking a bit and i am trying to keep an open mind . Certain situations concerning a persons ,age ,health, and physical limitations are all factors that i would have to look at to determine a situation such as this.

we all know folks with dreams but for whatever reasons are physically limited and perhaps a scenario such as this might be thier only option to harvest a dream of hunting with hounds so that would be a set of circumstances that might be taken into consideration.

Barring that i still think the the struggle is the Glory

tracker
01-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Its just another way to get out in the bush.. Leave those poor cat hound dogger's alone.Go tree some pussy guys 250 463 5555 :eek:

Barracuda
01-19-2008, 10:43 AM
[quote=Will;231568]Oh Please...........

:shock: That's the most closed minded thing I've ever heard! By the way, I may have a little bit of beer gut, and am lazy from time to time buy I sure aint rich!:wink: Ignorance is bliss I guess!

hounds and rich do not go togetherLOL!!!

Well its snowing here right now but cant get out with the wife&hounds till tuesday which is meant to be crisp , It should be a good day to play hide and seek with the hounds:razz:
good luck tommorrow shaker

Will
01-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Obviously I'm Joking.........or have you not read any of this thread ? :???:

Good Luck hunting:wink:

Tikka7mm
01-19-2008, 02:12 PM

-ATV with "Dog box"

Well said! The amount of time, commitment and money that goes in to this sport is endless. It's easy for naysayers to pass judgment on this kind of hunting but those that haven't done it or are against it really don't understand just how hard it is and how long it takes to succeed. Although I have never tried this kind of hunting I have friends that have done it and speak very highly of their experience. JMO.