PDA

View Full Version : Coudn't resist

Johnnybear
01-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Sorry I couldn't resist but after last year's inquirery into aluminum boats and the negative feed back I got from a certain dealer I typed in google " Hewescraft weld crack" and the first post that came up was this http://riverjetmagazine.com/fusetalk/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=58&threadid=1938&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear. I am usually not one to back lash or post negative things but with this popping up as the first listing and not even a Hewescraft I felt it quite ironic. If the mod's want to delete this post go ahead.

Note: After major searching I have not found any cases of hewescraft Ocean Pro's weld's failing or "beer canning".

Sitkaspruce
01-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Johhnybear

I did alot of research on Aluminum boats and I too could find no fault on Hewescraft. In fact it gets a lot of praise in Alaska and Wash/Oregon for a good, no fringes boat that most people can afford. I looked at NR, Fish-Rite, SS etc and I settled on a Hewescraft because of their rep and and the great deal I got. Maybe a while ago, on their jet boats, but I could find nothing.

Are you still looking?

SS

Johnnybear
01-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah I'm heading down south (states) to the boat show in a week and a bit to make my final decision. I have a 16.5' welded aluminum now and I need something bigger for the west coast. I looked at a lot of boats and brands (boat shows, crawling around in them) and I have done about 2 and a half years of research and the Hewescraft seems like the best and all around boat for the buck. I looked into all the "production" welded aluminum's and I still keep coming back to the Hewes. I miss the old MSN forum but the new one is going strong. You don't see any other manufacturer's forums up on the net. To me this is important information shared with all the owners outside of the factory. They are also one of the oldest makers of aluminum boats around.

BlacktailStalker
01-17-2008, 09:50 AM
JB; Post a pic of the new baby when she arrives.

I have a visions of a new boat in the future too, ideally a welded aluminum.
The hewes are nice. Anything thats stood the test of time isnt going to be an issue and its not like they just started making them.
Obviously theres always a lemon with everything and obviously you hear more about lemons than anything else... If its not a reoccuring issue I highly doubt its an issue at all.

I missed out on a sweet deal on a ducksworth 22' weld in oregon a month ago:(
Take a peek at North River boats too, pretty nice from what I've seen and heard. I've seen a few off Nootka that were just beauties...
Post up some pics and reviews if you dont mind, on what you see down south.
Slab on !

Jetboater
01-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Dont forget, Hewescraft will sue anybody putting there boats down online!

Islandeer
01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Northwester from Sooke makes a good one. My bro has the 21 with pod,powered by a 150 yam, it's a swiftsure bank killer!!

Johnnybear
02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Update from the Seatlle boat show. I went down to look at boats and got side tracked with Cabela's and Sportsman Warehouses. I saw a couple of boats I really liked and I whole lot (most of ) that i could never afford. I went to the Pacific Skiff factory http://www.pacificskiffs.com/ in Marysville and was most impressed. They are by far the best welded aluminum boat I have ever seen. I own a welding shop and I can say this outfit has it down pat. The office lady name Julie Parks gave me and my son a tour of the factory and showed us every step of production and asked the welder who was working on a boat to spend some time (1/2 an hour) on how he welds out there hull. Not once did I get asked if I want to buy a boat or when I wanted to buy a boat. Zero pressure and no hiding anything. They showed us everything and the welds I saw beat anything I have ever seen on a welded aluminum boat. This company is by far the best aluminum boat outfit I have seen. I just wish they had a model that suited my needs. The boat show had some boats that looked good. For fiberglass I would have gone for a Sea Sport 22 sportsman. Other than that the Hewes craft 22 Ocean Pro looked good. For a small 15 grand more I would go for a Northriver 24' Seahawk O/S.

mark
02-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Remember, theres only 1 fact about jet boats. That is there is not a 1 perfect all-round best boat! All boats have their pros and cons and it all depends what kind of water you are running! Most every boat has there place and is great for something. there is no boat that is perfect for everything! The most important question to ask yourself before shopping for a boat is "what do you want to do with it?" When ya answer that, then start shopping!