PDA

View Full Version : Another IBEP Course - Lower Mainland

The Hermit
01-15-2008, 12:10 PM
The course is at the Port Coquitlam and District Hunting and Fishing Club commonly referred to as Burke Mountain. February 23 & 24, again cost is $50, and they can register with directly with Ted Kennedy the instructor at tedkennedy@shaw.ca (javascript:main.compose('new','t=tedkennedy@shaw. ca')) or at Boorman's Archery, Kyanne Archery, or Big Game Archery.

scorpio_21
01-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Hello Hermit, do you have any sort of information on what's covered in this course? And what is expected of the student (i.e. equipment/experience)?

I'm new to hunting and archery; having just received my BC Resident Hunter Number, and awaiting my PAL certification. As far as archery goes, I've been shooting for several months now with a compound bow and have been to a few ranges as well as two 3-D's in Burnaby and Abbotsford.

cheers,
Ashton

Awishanew
01-16-2008, 12:59 PM
The course teaches how to hunt and not blight the rest of bowhunters by poor choice of shots and a host of other things. You will certainly be glad you have taken it and it will help you imensly. One thing it is not, is a test to see how well you shoot. Hope this helps.

J_T
01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi Scorpio,

Welcome to the world of archery and bowhunting. What you might find with the course is that it seems to aim at a bit more seasoned hunter. That doesn't mean a new hunters can't or shouldn't take the course, what I mean is the course talks a lot about experiences and sharing those experiences between the instructor and the participants.

You don't have to be able to shoot to take the course. There are a couple of other posts on the bowhunting section here that likely provide you an overview of the course and a web site.

It is an Internationally recognized course and provides us all guidance in becoming responsible hunters.

My boys both took the course at Burke Mtn about 4 years ago and really enjoyed Ted's approach. Teenagers, who felt it was a great weekend.

JT

scorpio_21
01-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! I have since contacted the instructor and preregistered. I've been lurking on this forum since I started taking my hunting classes in November and it's certainly a great resource!

Will
01-18-2008, 12:42 AM

INTERNATIONAL

BOWHUNTER

EDUCATION

PROGRAM

http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/images/pawswalk.gif

The International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP) is a program designed and administered by the National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) to train bowhunters throughout North America and internationally. The ultimate goal of the IBEP is to provide bowhunters, both experienced and new, with the basic fundamentals of good, safe bowhunting while maintaining the highest ethical standards in the sport. The immediate objective is to instill in all bowhunters a responsible attitude and to adopt and follow acceptable behavior towards people, wildlife and the environment in which they hunt.
The fundamentals and principles of the IBEP course were established in 1967. In 1969 the National Field Archery Association (NFAA) adopted these ideas and by 1979 the NBEF was formed. The belief was then, and remains today, that The future of bowhunting depends upon effective and successful bowhunter education.
The class has approximately 10 hours of interactive classroom study and 3 hours of practical field training, The course is taught by instructors with a minimum of 3 years of hunting experience, however, the vast majority have 10 years or more. This class is currently required to bowhunt in 16 states and many foreign countries and the number is growing.
Typical Class Agenda:

Why you want to be a bowhunter
Ecological Constraints (Habitat requirements, carrying capacity, management tools, etc.)
Sociological Considerations (conduct not approved by others, reasons for approval, etc.)
Preparing for the Hunt (adequate equipment, scouting, planning, shooting form, practice, etc.)
Hunting Effectively (sharpening broadheads, game anatomy, how an arrow works, etc.)
The Hunt (hunting methods, game recovery, tracking, care of game, etc.)
Hunting Safety (hazards, first aid, hypothermia, survival, map and compass, etc.)
Field Experience (matching equipment, tree stands, judging distance, following trails, etc.)

tbear
02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Just wanted to let folks know we had a great clinic at Victoria Fish and Game club last weekend. Looking forward to Burke Mountain on Feb 23 & 24 in the Lower Mainland. Why not shoot me an email to register. Thanks. tedkennedy@shaw.ca

Respectfully,

Ted Kennedy
VP Bowhunting & 3D BC Archery Assoc
United Bowhunters of BC
IBEP Instructor

J_T
02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Ted.

Great job. Sure appreciate your dedication toward spreading the word. My boys still talk about the great time they had at Burke Mtn a few years ago.

Thanks

JT

hutch
02-06-2008, 08:06 PM
i took the victoria course and it was good and informative and was worth taking the time to do it

chris

Coyote
02-06-2008, 09:02 PM
If you are a new bowhunter this course will steepen your learning curve significantly. You will learn to avoid a lot of mistakes and be a better hunter sooner.

Seasoned hunters will also learn from other members of the course as well as the instructor. They also have the chance to pass on their knowledge to those less experienced.

'yote

tbear
02-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Hey guys, I week until the IBEP at Burke Mtn Feb 23&24. Still room for a few more. Register with me at tedkennedy@shaw.ca . thanks.

Ted Kennedy
VP Bowhunting
IBEP instructor

scorpio_21
02-24-2008, 09:01 PM
I really enjoyed this course! Thank you Ted and all the others participants for helping make this steep learning curve enjoyable. I look forward to upping my draw weight and getting out there in the fall!

-Ashton