PDA

View Full Version : Hunting storys that made ya laugh your ass off.

frenchbar
01-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Was on a trip with my best freind in the local mountains. we set up camp just below treeline.next morning went out above camp to hunt the chutes below some bluffs,while my bud stayed in camp. didnt get far and decided to sit in the trees between the chutes and chow down on a can of applesauce.15 min latter i stand up and took about 4 steps and out bounds a a nice buck and he heads parrelel across the chutes. so i start running as fast as i can across 3 of the chutes that are about 80 yrds across.i look down and hes standing about 100yrds below me ,up comes the 270 and bam down he goes and rolls just abut to the botom of the hill. i go down and clean him a decent 4x3.head back to camp and get my bud...we are on are way back across the chutes with my buck when i spot some deer about 175yrds above us .one is a nice 3 pt basket buck .i say go ahead shoot him,hesitant at first ,then i hunch over in a foot ball stance and say shoot him you can rest your rifle on my back .so he goes for it rests the rifle on my back and lets fly,down he goes .i head up and stat draggin him by the horns down the grassy chute when my foot gets caught in some debrisi fall down the aantlers go right through my shirt an there i am pinned to the ground in a big heap with my buddy laughing his ass off at me.got them both back to camp had afew drinks and laughs about the whole day.i look back at that day as one of the funnest days ive ever had. any body got some funny hunting stories to tell.:smile: only my best buds can use me as a shooting rest .it was pretty funny at the time.

Will
01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
I know a couple fellas(maybe even a relative mixed in there) thatw ere Moose hunting.....they set up aways apart to watch a clearing....one of them decided to take a dump.

Well you guessed it right in the middle of it Mr Moose steps out......scared to stand up he shoulders rifle and takes the shot while still hunched down with his drawers around his ankles.
Yep, recoil pushed him back off his heels and right into the pile...squish:redface:

They got the Moose but said it was a $hitty experience overall :lol:

True.........? knowing these two I believe every word of it;)

frenchbar
01-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Ha Ha.that would be some funny shit ..ive had a 160ish muley come out in front of me while i was having a dump,it starts running down the hill through the scrub balsom while im standing there with my pants down around the ankles.never did get a shot off at that velvet buck.good campfire storie tho .

bruin
01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
I took a fellow dall hunting a few years ago. He told me that he had been to Vietnam in his younger years (man did he have some wild stories). He told me that when it came time to shoot he was deathly calm and very steady. NO MATTER WHAT! Well he was right the first time, he shot a beautiful dall at 375 yards right through the heart, an awesome shot.
A couple of days later he wanted to go fishing, which was a couple hours hike down a valley to get to the creek. In the process we managed to spot a pretty big grizzly feeding in a meadow. We did a couple miles of stalking parrelleling him along a valley bottom until we finally waded the river and got infront of him, it was a pretty intense stalk. We layed down on a knoll waiting for him to come out at about 100 yards and I noticed the hunter was shaking a bit. When the bear finally came out I gave the Ok and he letter rip. The first shot spun the bear, a second shot put him down and a third for insurance. I went to congradulate him and noticed that he had blood all over his face. Mister military had scoped himself three times!! He was good about it and we all had a good laugh and bugged him about it for the rest of the trip.

Steeleco
01-14-2008, 10:55 PM
On my first trip into Trimble lake, and me GREEN as grass, my wife's uncle chewed me a new one for wandering off to have a pee without a rifle. The next year we had permission to use the outfitters cabin. One night after lots of hills, Unc needs to visit the latrine. in pitch black, from within the cabin me and Chappy hear a blood curdling scream from outside. So naturally off we go, for what were not sure. Unc is full speed on his way back to the cabin shorts round his knees. Turns out a cow moose did and end run on the door less head and gave him a big kiss!!! so where was his gun, in the cabin!!!!

I just had to remind him of his "Lesson" from the year previous. The three of us were in tears for hours.

Gateholio
01-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Frenchbar

Lots of funny stuff has happened to me..In fact one of the rules i have about hunting partners is - If we stop laughing, hunting isn't that much fun:p

Funniest story is in your area, when I missed a ram after 19 days of trying. Not so funny at the time, but it provides my hunting buddies with endless amounts of mirth...

I'm okay with that:-P

115 or bust
01-14-2008, 11:48 PM
My dad, uncle and uncles brother had been hunting for about a week and my uncles brother was tired so when they reached the hill he decided to take a nap while my dad walked a timber patch. My uncle set up on the edge of a landing to watch for deer being pushed out in front of my dad. My uncles brother wakes up about an hour later and has to take a dump. Walks to the edge of the road to drop his pants and sees a tree shaking about 40 yards away. he's thinking the guys are messing with him untill he starts seing tines sticking out behind the bush. He walks back across the landing, loads his gun and walks back, and shoots the buck at about 40 yards. The buck grossed about 152 which is a pretty fine blacktail lol and just goes to show you the guy that works the hardest isn't always the luckiest lol. I refer to it as the toilet paper buck lol

hunter1947
01-15-2008, 05:01 AM
Last year in the EK a pack rat made a nest on my engine block every night ,i destroyed the nest every morning ,you see he would take the used toilet paper from the outhouse and use it for his nest ,i would lift the hood up every evening ,that didn't stop him. He ended up inside my cab of the truck ,then decided to build a nest in under my upper dash. One evening i was banging the dash and hitting everything inside the truck i could in order to try and get him to fall down ,or get the hell out of my cab ,no luck. I went back into the cab of the truck around 9pm ,i could hear him chewing somewhere around my glove compartment ,i opened up the glove door and there he was ,i grabbed him around the waist took him outside and put him to bed ,night ,night.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_1022.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6449&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=941)http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_1023.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6450&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=941)

zigman
01-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Did you have him scored?
Looks to be a true EK Trophy Packrat!:)

hunter1947
01-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Did you have him scored?
Looks to be a true EK Trophy Packrat!:)
Yes he scored 345,5/8 ,net LOL.

calvin L
01-15-2008, 06:39 AM
It was five years ago . The four of us are up the river for moose and elk . Chris and I (chris is most likley the best stocker {no pun} I know ) He brings us to 30 yards on a bedded moose . All we have to do is wait ! Well the darn think stands and walks straight away from us NO SHOT. We go different ways to try to cover both draws . I hear a squeal and thud and then nothing . Holly carp what happen to my fellow bow hunter ? I make my way over to chris and he is half under a blow down tree there are broadheads all around him on the ground I ask are you ok . He reply's I don't know . But I can't get up .First thing to mined OH SHIT . He then starts to laugh . I have fallen and I can't get up . He lifted his legs he has both is feet stuck through the cables of his bow and can't remove them .It could only happen to chris I think we should put the horse bells on him some time . I wish I had a camera then . I do now so nothing should be missed .

frenchbar
01-15-2008, 07:26 AM
My dad left camp looking for a bull moose one morning.he found one right away .50 yrds from him only problem was he took my buddys 280 shells with him that moning and he shoots a 270 .:razz: no worries tho we found him the next day and he downed a 46 in bull .but boy did we rag on him that first night.

frenchbar
01-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Frenchbar

Lots of funny stuff has happened to me..In fact one of the rules i have about hunting partners is - If we stop laughing, hunting isn't that much fun:p

Funniest story is in your area, when I missed a ram after 19 days of trying. Not so funny at the time, but it provides my hunting buddies with endless amounts of mirth...

I'm okay with that:-P ya.if ya give it ya gotta take it .im always getting rassed on .its all good humour to me .

happygilmore
01-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Hunting with my buddie and spot a buck jump across a side road on our way to a good spot...DEER...bail out rifle ready hear him call me I turn around and his truck is rolling backwards down the hill his door still open he's trying to stop it. his door catches a tree and bends back. I yell "let it go" the hill was short and not steep and at the bottom there were a bunch of small trees that would stop it. so he throws his rifle in the box and jumps into the box of his truck, I can still see him standing in the back of his truck rolling down the hill backwards, right then I break out laughing and yell "what are you going to do from there!"... I'll never let him forget it!

Blktail
01-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Was bow huntng with a buddy years ago in the Highlands. I slipped and landed flat on my back, bruising my ribs and knocking the wind out of myself. Buddy comes running and looks down at me asking "Is there any sign down there?" We had a rest while I recovered and got my wind back by swearing at him. When we got up to leave he asked my to tuck his water bottle into his pack. 4 hours of whining about being out of shape later, back at the truck, he found the 6" diameter rock I slipped in his pack with the water bottle.

Another nforgettable moment was while the same fellow video taped, another friend and I skinned the stinkiest coyote the great outdoors has ever produced. Two adults gagging for 15 minutes between tears of laughter and burning eyes made for some funny video.

whitetailsheds
01-15-2008, 03:35 PM
West central Alberta, 20+ years ago now.....moose hunting near Caroline, set up in a cabin on the Raven River.....fresh snow (couple inches) overnight...nice clear, sunny day....head out before light in the truck...spend the whole day out...don't see anything, not even tracks...head back to the cabin, completely dark by now...pull into the head of the trail that takes us to the cabin....moose tracks coming down the "driveway"....WTF?...tracks are coming from the cabin...NO WAY!?!...park truck....follow tracks to cabin....THIS MOOSE WALKED BY THE LIVING ROOM WINDOW (appeared to have stopped and looked in, although we're not sure) ALL WITHIN 2 FEET OF THE GLASS!!! Still get a laugh outta that one!

ratherbefishin
01-15-2008, 03:48 PM
best one I've heard was from my fishing partner-seems like he was on a river float trip for moose,when his partner decides he has to have a dump-so they pull into the river bank, the other guy is in the bushes doing his business-and grunting-well, out comes a bull moose investigating-the guy jumps up,trying to pull his pants up and get to the canoe with the bull now right behind him. My friend shot it-16' away-right on the bank-when he could stop laughing.The other guy literally had the sh*t scared out of him.......He figured he had just discovered the perfect moose decoy.....

Stone Sheep Steve
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
More bathroom humour.....so if you don't like it stop here.

Hunting moose in the GOS late season near Nadina River in Reg 6. The rut had wound down and we weren't seeing much so to shake things up a bit we decided to go "swamp busting".....put on the neoprene waders and get away into the thick willows where we thought the bulls would be strapping on the feed bags. There was a couple of inches of fresh wet snow. I put on my waders and felt-soled wading boots while my partner was contemplating using the facilities as his stomach was rumbling(foreshadow).

With every step I took I got taller as the wet snow was sticking to my felt soles. I walked towards my partner who was sitting on the tailgate in his long-johns. By the time I reached him I must have been close to 6'10" ( I started at 6'2")and stood towering above him. We started laughing pretty good and then one side of my "lifts" fell off and I stumbled to the ground which had become a long ways down. More hard laughing.........then my partner asked how we would meet later as we didn't have any radios. I told him not to worry as he would probably be able to see me towering above the spruce trees.....well, he started to laugh so hard he couldn't breathe and all of a sudden he eyes got big:shock:.....and then more laughing..."I'm $hitting myself" he managed to squeak out......then even harder laughing....followed by more chitting......more laughing and chitting until he was out of breath and other "stuff".... I guess his rumbling stomach was the start of something:mrgreen:.

I would have just burned those one piece trap-door long johns on the spot but they were given to my partner by his deceased Grandfather so he bagged them and threw them in the back of the truck.

While I did jump one big footed moose in the thick stuff our efforts were in vain..........just some memories for the books:lol:!!

SSS

Blktail
01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Keep them coming!

I'm chitting myself as I write this!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

oddsix
01-15-2008, 06:30 PM
10+ years ago my old man and his buddy dropped off two of their friends in a logged area. As they were heading out they hear a gun shot. They figured they go back and see if they shot something. When they talk to them the guy who fired the shot said " I seen two little eyes peeking out between two branches 325 yards away and i didn't want that grouse to get away.

hillclimber
01-15-2008, 06:34 PM
10+ years ago my old man and his buddy dropped off two of their friends in a logged area. As they were heading out they hear a gun shot. They figured they go back and see if they shot something. When they talk to them the guy who fired the shot said " I seen two little eyes peeking out between two branches 325 yards away and i didn't want that grouse to get away.

Let me guess... Armen Sawatzky?:lol:

oddsix
01-15-2008, 06:35 PM
you bet lol

Will
01-15-2008, 08:53 PM
There is nothing funny about that...you should be ashamed of yourself.

Blktail
01-15-2008, 09:54 PM
My buddy used to brag that moose were too easy to shoot, so he took up bow hunting. Then that got too easy for him too. He decided to try with his .22 cal pellet gun. He went early in the season and found a bull feeding in a pond on lilies. Worked his way slowly around to the rear of the moose. When the moose went for a mouth full of lily roots he shot him in the testicle. The moose gasped in a lungfull of water and drowned.:biggrin:

mooseless
01-15-2008, 10:29 PM
...Well....this one time, were out hunting, it's early afternoon and sunny, Dad is driving and my brther is in the back of the pickup. We pull into a cutblock, start glassing, I decide to go walk the perimeter(treeline) I get out of the truck and my brother jumps in. So about 45min later I am at the top edge looking downhill, I can see the truck on my left side of the cutblock and 150yrds or so to the right (from the truck)is logged. I start heading downhill stopping and glassing, stopping glassing, etc,etc. All of a sudden I spot a great 4 point buck frozen in stride staring at me, he was probly 200 yds away and less than 75yards from the truck, heading right towards the truck. I am now glassing the animal and then the truck, the animal then the truck, no one is jumping out of the truck so I figure they must have gone for a hike. So I have to make this shot, I layed down over a log, got ready, glassed the animal and the pickup, put the gun up and let him have it, well after the recoil I could not see the animal so I stand up glass down there and see nothing, I look over at the truck and my Dad is standing outside the truck looking the other way, I start to head down hill. I get down to were I shot the buck and yell over "it should be right here!"My Dad says"yeah right" Sure enough it was there and boy were they shocked, they thought I new they were sleeping and fired one off. Every season or so that storey is brought up, usually only by me in front of friends, Tee Hee Hee!!

Islandeer
01-15-2008, 11:02 PM
A few years back, hunting mulies in the EK my brother and I are really stoked. Especially my bro! We have this"spot" staked out and start our hike in around 4am, early November.
He is yakking about how great this hunt will be,how the timing is so perfect,yada yada. I'm listening like a good kid bro though wishing that he was a little less chatty. About an hour in I am looking at him, hmmm,what is wrong with this picture.
He has his pack,petzal,hat,oops no shooting iron. I started chuckling a bit and he can't quite figure out my problem. I suggest we stop for a leek, good plan he says as I hand him my pack and safed rifle.
:lol: He still hasn't clued in until I gear up again and offer to take his gun for him, the look on his face was priceless, he quickly countered saying he always wanted to kill a buck with his knife only!!
Needless to say he does get reminded now and again to bring his rifle on our hunts.

Red Foreman
01-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Not really hunting but a couple of my buddies were firefighting.The one thought he heard his brother coming down the mountain towards him so he hides behind a big boulder to jump out and scare the crap out him.He jumps out with a yell and comes face to face with a bull moose,my buddy said he came running back to camp screaming like a little girl.

Elkhound
01-15-2008, 11:54 PM
I have two extremely funny storries but both are at young Symon's expense:lol: I am LMAO just thinking about them. Let me ponder if I should post them up or not, it might be pushing the envelope:biggrin:

rishu_pepper
01-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Early season, took the .22 for some grouse hunting. Got there, opened up the trunk, getting the gun all ready; oh wait, what's this trigger lock doing there? :frown: What's more, I forgot the key to it... luckily someone has an extra shotty, otherwise I would've been the laughingstock of the group ;-)

TIKA 300
01-16-2008, 12:17 AM
My buddy used to brag that moose were too easy to shoot, so he took up bow hunting. Then that got too easy for him too. He decided to try with his .22 cal pellet gun. He went early in the season and found a bull feeding in a pond on lilies. Worked his way slowly around to the rear of the moose. When the moose went for a mouth full of lily roots he shot him in the testicle. The moose gasped in a lungfull of water and drowned.:biggrin:

LOL !!!!!! LOL !!!!!! Now thats funny

bruin
01-16-2008, 09:04 AM
More bathroom humor.

This is actually my Dad's story but it is one of the funniest outdoor stories I have ever heard. THe incident occurred on a lake in the Okanagan. There were alot of boats on the lake as it was a perfectly calm day (sound travels well) and the fishing was good. The guys had just gotten back to the boat launch after fishing and they noticed twin brothers rowing into shore. Both were fly fishing from an aluminum boat but both had chest waders on. One brother was dropped off and the other rowed back out onto the lake and dropped anchor. Soon after they noticed him frantically pulling anchor and began rowihng feverishly for shore. He never made it, halfway through he stopped stood up and started pulling off his waders. His bother walked to the shore line and watched, finally yelling across the lake (full of boats)" What are you doing?"......no repy"HEy, what are you doing"?......"I chit myself"!!!!, yells the bother. "WHAT?!"Yells the brother from shore."I CHIT MYSELF!!!" He yells again. Apparently when he got back to shore there was fecal matter all over him and he had to jump in the lake.

Iron-Head
01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
I have two extremely funny storries but both are at young Symon's expense:lol: I am LMAO just thinking about them. Let me ponder if I should post them up or not, it might be pushing the envelope:biggrin:
I knew this would happen. No matter what Dave says, I thought he was going to get firewood! Go ahead Dave everyone will get a laugh, and I have learned to keep my mouth shut when hunting with you and Scott.

Dragginbait
01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
[quote=Stone Sheep Steve;230350]
and all of a sudden he eyes got big:shock:.....and then more laughing..."I'm $hitting myself" he managed to squeak out......then even harder laughing....followed by more chitting......more laughing and chitting until he was out of breathe and other "stuff".... I guess his rumbling stomach was the start of something:mrgreen:.

:lol:I had a hard time reading this because my eyes were watering too much from laughing:lol:

CHilko21
01-16-2008, 10:49 AM
My dad and Opa were out deer hunting, and they kinda split up. Opa manages to find this nice wide 4 point. He takes a shot, but he was in some pretty thick timber and the bullet from his .308 ricochettes off a branch and manages to hit the deer in the hip. My dad, hearing the shot, goes after the deer, and finds him laying down. Just as dad puts his scope on him the deer "disappears" and he brings his 7mm mag down...just in time to see the deer charging him. Dad drops the rifle, and he was awful lucky that this buck had a good set of antlers because he got them around the waist and ended up wrestling him for a while. Opa shows up, but he's kind of reluctant to take a shot, what with his eldest son holding onto the deer's antlers. Luckily for all involved (except the deer), Bambi's back legs gave out and dad got out of the way so Opa could finish him off. We had a good time bugging my dad about being the Chilcotin Deer Wrassler for a while afterwards

BCrams
01-16-2008, 11:08 AM
So many funny incidences to mention them all but here's one......

I used to own a big male Chessapeake bay retriever. His problem was being a little too eager to go get birds and was very stubborn about it.

One fine morning we were out in Vanderhoof all set for a good shoot in a field with a couple thousand geese going in and all in flocks of 10 to 50 birds ..... The dog wasn't listening too well on the first couple flocks and was charging out of the blind and spooking subsequent incoming flocks. As we were in the middle of the field, I got clever and tied him to my waist and in the process I tied a slip knot.

Next big flock comes straight in and we start shooting and birds start falling ........ next thing I know, I was yanked off my feet and out of the blind at which point I realized a slip knot wasn't the best choice and started cussing and screaming at the damn dog whilst being dragged through the decoy spread as a very very determined dog tried to catch a wounded / running goose.

I managed to gain control and footing after about 30 yards where I promptly did a rendition of a heifer flip on the dog to discipline him...... all the while my Dad and his uncle were howling and laughing out of control.

Let me tell you, a running dog pulling something isn't fluid, nor smooth going.

Blk Arrow
01-16-2008, 11:13 AM
A few years ago members of our club were up in the Kettle for late season archery. A 3 point buck walks out within easy bow range and our hunter draws his bow and now he can't see a thing. When he drew his bow the string contacted his belacava and spun it blindfolding him. The struggle begins as he tries to unmask himself while remaining at full draw. It was not to be as during the insuing struggle he punched the trigger on his release and buried his arrow into an embankment no where near the buck. Had this not been witnessed by another archer I doubt the story would have come out.

bruin
01-16-2008, 02:17 PM
:lol: Some great stories boys and girls, keep em coming.

Kirby
01-16-2008, 03:15 PM
A couple of years ago I had headed into an area that I knew produced some large mulies, climbing into my stand well before daylight. As daylight broke i could hear what I thought to be a VERY loud deer coming up the ridge, turns out it was just another hunter. the man slowly made his way right to the bottom of my tree where he proceeds to sit his ass down. Now, if this guy is gonna sit at the bottom of my tree(smoking/eating and generally being loud) I decided I was gonna have some fun. Every couple of minutes I would grunt, he would stand up, spin around and look for the buck. very light rattling got the same reaction, after about an hour of this he was getting very agitated and couldn't sit down for more than about 20 seconds, so I dropped my antlers beside him... he just about filled his drawers when he looked up and saw me.

He didn't see the humor, I did.

Kirby

Blktail
01-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Rosco was hunting geese in the Cowichan Estuary a few years ago. He set up a blind, hid his punt and waited with his lab for the geese. In comes one and Rosco shoots it. It wasn't quite dead, but he sent the dog after it. The goose pecks the dog between the eyes and it comes swimming back to shore. Rosco yells at the dog to fetch the now dead goose, which it does with some hesitation.
A while later He shoots another goose and it hits the water still alive. Once again the dog takes a beating resulting in a bloody nose and another lump on the noggin. Back to shore comes the wimpering dog with Rossco hollerin to fetch the goose. "Nope!" says the dog, so he hauls out the punt, loads up the dog and rows out to the goose, wrings its neck and throws it into the boat yacking at the dog the whole time.
He gets to shore and unloads the dog and goose and hears a voice from across the estuary. "Hey son, it sure looks like that dog has you pretty well trained." says an old feller that witness the whole ordeal. I still chuckle every time I see that dog.

Elkhound
01-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I knew this would happen. No matter what Dave says, I thought he was going to get firewood! Go ahead Dave everyone will get a laugh, and I have learned to keep my mouth shut when hunting with you and Scott.
:lol::lol:

Okay...here is the best one.

Set the Scene
So three (Scott, Symon and I) of us go up Nov long weekend deer hunting. My buddy Scott knew an oldtimer hunter named Bob who retired up in 5-02 and said we could stay with him at his cabin. The year before was a cold one and we froze our asses off so of course the consensus was the heated cabin would be like a luxury hotel. We show up after a 6hr drive and unpack and meet the new guy "Bob". Very cool older gentleman.

Anyway. First night there. We are all getting to know one another, Bob thinks it's cool that Symon who was turned 16 2 weeks before was thrilled to be there.

So sleeping arrangements were made, plans for the morning hunt was detailed out. Then it happened.

What Symon heard:

Bob- Going out to get more wood.
Symon- Need a hand with that Bob?
Bob- (Perplexed look on face) ummmmmmmmm I think I can manage thanks Symon. (Heads out the door)
Me- Wow Symon, it is pretty cold out there. Nice offer, maybe just a little cuppage to keep them warm
Sound of Scott Spewing his beer out his mouth and nose he is laughing so hard and now I have tears streaming out of my eyes. I am laughing so hard I can barely breathe
Symon- Huh? Whats so funny?
Bob comes back in to uncontrollable laughter and a very confused Symon.

What was really said:

Bob- I am going outside for a piss
Symon- Can I give you a hand with that Bob?

The rest of the story stays the same. :lol:

Truly one of the funniest moments in my life. Wish I had that on film so everyone could have shared the moment. The story alone just does not do it justice.

#1fishslayer
01-16-2008, 08:25 PM
The time we went road hunting in my pals new ford exploder, equiped with deer whistlers.

Mtn Man
01-16-2008, 09:30 PM
one year, my brother and I head to the ok to do some muley hunting the last few days of the season. My bro is always and forever will be the first one to leave camp. We agree we would hook up later in the morning, around eleven oclock. I get a radio buzz, sort of scratchie, but also a bit panicky. After a few minutes of walking the reception is a bit clearer. My brother says that he scoped a good 4 point but he's got a problem. He can't shoot because his trigger lock is still on his gun. He's always the first to make tracks but how do you hunt all morning with out realizing that your lock is still on? To make matters worse the key is still at home in the mainland. Unbelievably the key to my masterlock guard, which I happened to have on me, unlocked his seneca lock. We both managed to pluck a couple of 4 pointers that trip.

MichelD
01-17-2008, 12:40 PM
An old timer told me this:

They used to go up to Inziana Lake every year moose hunting and as soon as they get to the campsite they nominate my friend to start setting up camp alone and take off "to see if theres any sign around."

Before to long Mr. Moose wanders into camp so my friend shoots it, makes sure it's dead and carries on setting up.

The other guys come back to camp.

"See anything?" he asks.

"Nope. It's not like it used be around here, I don't like the looks of it, don't know if we'll get anything this year."

"Well there 's one on the ground over there. Would you guys deal with it. I'm busy here," he said.

Blktail
01-17-2008, 01:23 PM
I read in another forum where a guy shot a nice deer, but it wouldn't go down. He emptied his gun at it a few times, getting closer for each shot. Found the deer full of lead propped up by branches and brush. Even its head didn't fall.

Belle
01-17-2008, 01:56 PM
To follow up with the propped up deer story, a number of years ago when there was a GOS for cow elk in region 4. We took the head and hide and found an old trappers cabin, roof caved in and walls fallen apart, just along side one of the forestry roads about 175yards. In that old cabin was one of the old cast iron stoves, well with a little work we managed to dress the old stove in the hide and head, then we went back to camp. Well every once and a while you could hear a shot, the next thing you would hear was the clang of the stove being hit across the valley, the kicker was you usually heard more than one or two shots. Eventually a CO came into camp and started to ask us about all the shots, as we were standing there 3 shots rang out as well as the huge clangs of the stove being hit, well we start into the giggles as well as the CO. We commented on how tough the elk were around here and how determined the hunters were at getting their animals. After some more laughs and giggles we agreed with the CO and took down our prank. Who would beleive that elk wear cast iron vests.

newhunterette
01-17-2008, 02:11 PM

Symon, I am posting this story only because I feel your pain darlin. You being the youngin on ur hunt - me being the only female on my hunt and it being my first ever hunt. I can not believe I am going to share this but seeing Peter has a hoot telling it to everyone he happens upon, I may as well embarass myself.

We were up at our cabin, had a moose draw my very first season. We went with 2 of Peter's huntin buddies. Now remember I have never hunted before, so the ins and outs and camp rules are all new to me.

5 am get up - newbie makes breakfast - guess that is me. I can't eat that early in the mornin as my system just doesn't work that way, but what the heck have to eat if I am gonna have energy.

We drive to our start point and our buddies go their direction and Peter and I go ours and we will radio in to meet for lunch. Peter and I begin walking up the trail and I feel that churning, rumble, not twisting in my stomach. (come on y'all know what I mean, I am trying to be as lady like as I can be here) We walk for a little bit and stop and listen and walk and stop and listen and Peter is trying to find me a good spot to sit, and listen and scope. He makes a few moose grunts. We walk a little more and now my stomach is really starting to double me over in cramps so as quiet as I can be I let go a release (OMG I am so blushing). Peter says. "Shhhhhhh did you hear that?" I reply as seriously as I can. " nope, heard nothing." We walk some more and he continues his grunt calls and I still continue releasing more pressure. He stops again saying, "there, you had of heard that, I know we are close to a moose, I heard it." He then starts sniffing the air and I am dying, trying to be serious.

We find a spot and he leaves me there to continue on up the trail to do more calling and scouting. About 2 hours later he comes back to where I am and we call on the radios to our buds about meeting up for lunch. He tells them, he was 100% positive he smelled and heard a moose in this area.

We meet in a spot for lunch and he tells them all about the noise he heard while he was grunting. I am trying so hard not to break out in laughter because he is dead serious of what he heard but I couldn't hold it in any longer and I just blurted it out. I told him my stomach was so upset because I ate way to early and I so I had to let go of the pressure it was building.

I am known today as the best moose "ass" caller of the cariboo and yes we did get a moose to bring home.

Now I have heard all the jokes I think I need to hear about my gastronomical problems as Peter really enjoys getting back at me by telling everyone like I said before. So when reading this please be gentle with me as y'all know you are my friends and I actualy wrote this out 3 times before I had the nerve to click send reply (one time because my cable went down before I could send)

:oops::oops::oops::oops:Alison

model88
01-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Where to start. Well lets go with the most recent. Last fall while guiding, was out on the horses, had rode to a nice vantage spot, get set up to do some spotting.

Sitting there glassing away, when my hunter says too me, you fart!. Nope not me I say, maybe a grizz around.

Turns out we wern't the first ones to find this spot to glass from, my hunter had sat in a pile of crap, it had t.p. in it. I nearly fell off the mountain I was laughing so hard.

More to come.....

rocksteady
01-17-2008, 03:13 PM
My dad and Opa were out deer hunting, and they kinda split up. Opa manages to find this nice wide 4 point. He takes a shot, but he was in some pretty thick timber and the bullet from his .308 ricochettes off a branch and manages to hit the deer in the hip. My dad, hearing the shot, goes after the deer, and finds him laying down. Just as dad puts his scope on him the deer "disappears" and he brings his 7mm mag down...just in time to see the deer charging him. Dad drops the rifle, and he was awful lucky that this buck had a good set of antlers because he got them around the waist and ended up wrestling him for a while. Opa shows up, but he's kind of reluctant to take a shot, what with his eldest son holding onto the deer's antlers. Luckily for all involved (except the deer), Bambi's back legs gave out and dad got out of the way so Opa could finish him off. We had a good time bugging my dad about being the Chilcotin Deer Wrassler for a while afterwards

Been there done that back in '94 with a 3 by 4 mulie...Not so funny being on the bottom....

Dragginbait
01-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Is it my imagination or does there seem to be a common theme to a lot of these stories?

Islandeer
01-17-2008, 03:37 PM
shit happens!

johnes50
01-17-2008, 04:05 PM
My son and I were out bear hunting with a very experienced and very serious hunting partner years ago.

My son and I went walking up the road to look for bear sign, while his wife and he went down the road towards a swamp. It got pretty hot and after a couple of hours without seeing anything my son and I headed back to the truck. It was locked up and so we just layed down on our packs under the truck for shade.

A while later we hear my buddy walking up the road, but all we could see from under the truck were his skinny legs with hunting boots on and no pants or shirt and carrying his rifle.

He had tried to cross a small swamp on a log and fell off up to his armpits. With the help of his wife he got out, but his clothes were so stinky and mucky that he took them off.

I didn't know what to say and neither did my son, but from the look on my friends face he was none to happy. My son, who was about sixteen at the time finally said, 'I knew we were going bear hunting, but I didn't think it would be like this'. After a few seconds we all bust out laughing including my friend and his wife. My friend has never talked about it again.

Upearly
01-17-2008, 04:11 PM
A fellow that I know was driving back alone from hunting when a young buck jumped onto the road in front of him and was struck by the vehicle. This fellow looked around to see if he had been seen and then put the dead deer into the back of the Jimmie. Ten minutes later down the highway the deer suddenly wakes up! Apparently there was a royal battle that took place in the back of the Jimmie at the side of the highway but he eventually won the fight with a knife. Lots of torn up upholstery and plenty of scratches on him but also a big grin and a good story to tell around a camp fire.

BlacktailStalker
01-17-2008, 05:05 PM
After goose hunting about 6 years ago my buddy got home, with his limit in the back of his truck.
He got out and went to the box to get his gear and geese out and sure enough there was a goose standing up staring at him.
He reached in to wring its neck and it tried to bite him and fluttered out of the truck, down his driveway onto a main road sidewalk and started trying to take off, unable to because of a broken wing or something.

Either way it had good speed and he chased after it for about a block before catching up to it, sparred with it before being able to deke and grab it and tried to wring its neck.
Well we all know how hard it is sometimes as they are strong almost devil powered little buggers and he ended up stepping on its neck and curb stomping the bugger.
I guess he was swearing at the thing the whole time and after evreything, looked up out of breath to see two older people across the street, staring in disbelief LOL

I can just see the "camo crazy guy" dragging a dead goose back down the road in the direction he came from.
I bet those people still tell that story today !

happygilmore
01-17-2008, 06:36 PM
My dad told me this one about the first time he took my mom and her friend out hunting.
Driving along the girls are chatting in the back after a while my mom asks "so what does a deer look like?" my dad describes a deer as best as you can to someone who aparently had never seen one. To which my mom replies "oh there was one standing back there!?"
And he married her!- good for me though..

happygilmore
01-17-2008, 06:50 PM
7 of us went on a horseback hunt for moose and cariboo a few years back, rode up a draw to find a group of moose at the top in a bowl excited we all dismount drop our reigns and crouch on the trail hidden by buckbrush. We glassed for about 5 min to see if there was a shooter in the herd. I had moved up the trail about 20yds to find a different vantage, croutched down I started to make my way back down twards the horses, my horse spots me spooks and runs headlong into the rest of the horses pushing them down the trail twards camp, luckily the one girl held onto hers. So off I go like the man from snowy river to try to catch them before they get to far. I caught up to them about 2k down the trail and lead them all back to the group. We all swore next time we would tie the horses!!

steveo32
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I have also lost my horses on a few different occasions. But most recent was on my first hunt of the guide season this past fall, we took a decent bull moose opening day (aug 15th) And were heading back to base camp when the pack horses saddle started to shift. So i stop my lead horse jump off thinking this will only take a few seconds ( pack rock on one side) So i decide not to tie up my trust worthy lead horse.

Well to make a long story short he started out at a slow walk then increased the speed everytime i would get close until we were both in a full out run racing to the creek crossing that was hip deep on me ( I am 6'4") Well He beats me there and crosses the creek then stands on the other side waiting for his dumbass guide to cross and hop on for the rest of the 5.5 hour ride back to base camp :redface:

Here is a pic of the bull taken 15 min into opening day

Here is the before thru the spotter!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/steveo32-hunting/099.jpg

Here is after!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/steveo32-hunting/108.jpg

Here is the view from camp right after we took him, he was shot right below the horse feeding down 10 feet from the lake edge!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/steveo32-hunting/111.jpg

orion
01-17-2008, 11:17 PM
My partner nailed a 3 pt. blacktail on a Sat. In the Nanaimo River Camp which is only open on weekends. The following week a friend was joining us from Vancouver for a weekend of hunting. As we were skinning the deer a plan started to emerge. The following day we took the head attached to a generous portion of neck back into the camp for our second day of hunting. At the end of the day we found a large cedar stump with a good view from the road and proceeded to set the deer up so that it looked like he was just sticking his head and neck out from behind the stump.

The following weekend after our timber hunt we proceeded down the road past the setup and with great excitement pointed the deer out to our friend who got out of the truck and proceeded to line it up. All the time we're saying shoot it's going to go and generally getting his adrenaline going. He banged off two shots which were not even close at which point my partner fired and the head went cartwheeling into the air. At this point he let go a stream of obscenities at us and it was a couple of hours before he cooled down and could laugh about it. We still get a yearly laugh from this one.

Blktail
01-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Orion

I would have pissed my pants if you did that to me!

But, I would not have missed!:grin:

Man I love these stories!

model88
01-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Years ago a friend of mine was just getting into hunting. He was very keen too shoot something. We came up with the brilliant idea of taking an old shot out 3-D deer target, sticking some shed antlers into the head and setting it up along an old road.

So just before dark we are cruising along, I am driving, accomplice is in the middle and the sucker is riding shotgun. I spot the buck, tell him to hurry, he gets out, drops bullets, swearing slams door all the while the "buck" is still there.

He shoots, darn misses, tell him shoot again, misses again. He says couldn't have missed, uh oh is it robo deer, lets get outta here....hadn't done a thing illegal. Speed off down the road, looking for flashing lights in the mirror but couldn't keep from laughing. Boy was he mad when we turned around and packed out his buck...

longhairmtnman
01-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Hilarious!
Years back we set up a camp and had some late arrivals. I knew the area and they didn't. It was one of those remote sites, and we set up our own latrine for our extended stay. It was quite a ways back in the trees 'cause we didn't want to chite where we live. So the first night we settle in for some grub and then get into the booze.. a whole lot. Well eventually this person (who is a member of this fine site), has postponed the 'movement' for such a length of time, it is imminent. So he grabs a flashlight, asks for directions, and bolts into the woods. Well from our view all we can see is the frantic beam of light sweeping from side to side looking for the latrine... We cannot figure out what the hell is going on, until I realize he cannot find the squat-spot, which was shrouded in a camouflage tarp! It was the last time we used that tarp to do our business behind.:biggrin:

kennyj
01-18-2008, 09:42 PM
My Dad and I were on a moose and caribou hunt with two partners Al and Ian.It was Ians first big game hunt.We were hunting several miles up a lake.We had a 14' aluminum boat and Ian had his own inflatable.We loaded up the 14 and Ian loaded his infl. and we headed up the lake leaving Al at the truck with the rest of the gear.Its about a half hour or so run to our camp spot and I guess Ian was quite cramped in his little zodiac.We coasted into shore and I looked over and here's Ian on his back in 1 ft. of water with his arms and legs flayling around trying to turn over.He looked like a turtle on his back. Dad rushed over to help him,didn't know what was wrong. His legs were cramped up and had fallen asleep and when he stepped out of the boat his legs gave way and over he went.Once we new what had happened we all just about Fell over laughing.It was a great start to a great trip.

Woodrow
01-19-2008, 03:56 AM
I herd this story of a guy chasing down a cow elk with his car (but it was a diesel) and blasting a cow elk. It was halarious!

M.Dean
01-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Years ago i was hunting up above my place when i ran into a couple of my buddy's. When we stopped to talk they were both drinking and boy were they drinking! Its all back roads up there, no hiway driving back home, but still i though i'm going to get in front of these guys so they don't smash into me or mistake my truck for a rabbit or some thing! It was a few days later when i ran into my one buddy again, he was the one in the passenger side of the drunk truck, he looked like he fell out of a airplane!!! I asked Hank, my god man,what happened??? Well, he said, through split lips, a broken nose and black eye's,not to mention the gravel still stuck in him all over!!! When you left a head of us the other night, we stopped at the top of the Hyas hill cuz I had to take a wizz. I got out of the truck and started to pee and Bob starts to slowly drive away!!! This hill is about 3km long and fairly steep! I start to yell at Bob to quit being a dick and stop, well he starts to speed up, so i zip up and then notice Bobs head resting on the window frame, Passed OUT!!! I start running after the truck screaming and swearing like a mad man trying to wake Bob up!!! The truck is going like a ******* now, faster and faster every second!!! Hank told me that he was running as fast as he could down hill to catch the truck, he said his hands were just starting to touch the tailgate when Bob woke up and slammed on the brakes!!! As far as we could figger, Hank went over the tailgate at about 25 km a hour, smashed into the top of the cab with his face, kept going over the roof and landed on the road in front of the truck!!! I've seen lots of wounded people in my time, but i think Hank is in the top 5!!! We never seen Hank out hunting much after that!!!

hunter1947
01-19-2008, 06:19 AM
I shot this 6x6 elk one year ,it was around 6pm in Sept. I shot it up on top of a mountain in a newer slash. We had to go back and get all the gear including the quad. When we got back there it was pitch dark. My first mistake was i did not mark the trail coming out. So when we got there we went up through the slash with the quad wear i thought the elk was . Well 2hr went buy and we could not find my elk ????. There were 4 of us there and we all spread out to try and find it. We all had flashlights. I said to one of my partners i think that revine is were it is up there. I stared up with the quad ,it got so step that i flipped the quad over sideways and it did a few cart wheels. I am really starting to get mad at this point. One of my hunting partners said are you sure it is on this hillside ,i stared at him and said i think you have a point there. We all talked about this problem. So we decided to go back down to the old road. Then i remembered when i got back down at the road that i had to go through a patch of old growth trees that crossed the road ,the elk is on the other side of the tress. We went up the road about another 500 yards and sure enough we got to the elk in a short time. :smile:. Boy it is so much different at night you can't see nothing ,i usually mark my trail out with ribin when i get an animal down ,but this time i didn't and it back fired in my face ,LOL.:smile:. We finally got the elk back to camp at around 12 midnight.

boxhitch
01-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Would like to have witnessed this one-
Hunter bud I know wass the third guy in a supercab pickup. northbound for a horseback hunt. It seems it was also his turn to play Designated Drunk from the back seat.
Time for his whiz, so driver pulls over to the edge of the highway,at just the right spot.... DD crawls out of the door, backwards over the front seat, and falls wwwaaayyy down into the soggy ditch. Driver and copilot are howling, DD not so impressed.
Flash forward a couple of years, same scenario, same DD, laughing and recanting old stories, having a good time.......time for a break....same DD crawls out and steps off theedge for another splash down into the ditch.
Lots of howling, no one could drive for a few minutes...
DD is a member here, so I hope I got the story recognizable enough for him.

Dragginbait
01-19-2008, 11:26 AM
We were camped at Kissinger lake in 1990 before it turned into an official campsite and were set up on the edge of the lake itself when one of our own designated drunks decided he had to get up to do something, he lost his balance and slid down the bank just short of going into the lake. He was so proud of himself for not getting wet he forgot he had to get back up the bank and when he did he lost his balance again and his arms start doing the windmill and he falls straight back into the lake doing the perfect "nestea plunge". At one point during the night he ended up stumbling through the fire as well.

martyonthewater
01-19-2008, 12:40 PM
now that is funny

Years ago i was hunting up above my place when i ran into a couple of my buddy's. When we stopped to talk they were both drinking and boy were they drinking! Its all back roads up there, no hiway driving back home, but still i though i'm going to get in front of these guys so they don't smash into me or mistake my truck for a rabbit or some thing! It was a few days later when i ran into my one buddy again, he was the one in the passenger side of the drunk truck, he looked like he fell out of a airplane!!! I asked Hank, my god man,what happened??? Well, he said, through split lips, a broken nose and black eye's,not to mention the gravel still stuck in him all over!!! When you left a head of us the other night, we stopped at the top of the Hyas hill cuz I had to take a wizz. I got out of the truck and started to pee and Bob starts to slowly drive away!!! This hill is about 3km long and fairly steep! I start to yell at Bob to quit being a dick and stop, well he starts to speed up, so i zip up and then notice Bobs head resting on the window frame, Passed OUT!!! I start running after the truck screaming and swearing like a mad man trying to wake Bob up!!! The truck is going like a ******* now, faster and faster every second!!! Hank told me that he was running as fast as he could down hill to catch the truck, he said his hands were just starting to touch the tailgate when Bob woke up and slammed on the brakes!!! As far as we could figger, Hank went over the tailgate at about 25 km a hour, smashed into the top of the cab with his face, kept going over the roof and landed on the road in front of the truck!!! I've seen lots of wounded people in my time, but i think Hank is in the top 5!!! We never seen Hank out hunting much after that!!!

steel_ram
01-19-2008, 01:01 PM
JIm Shockey has a little flic where he's in a stand with his dad and father in law. That ones pretty funny.

kennyj
01-19-2008, 02:12 PM
We were at our favorite lake hunting moose and caribou.My partner Al and I had just returned from a few days in the mountains hunting caribou.There was little critters running around all over the place.I explained to Al that they were Bog Lemmings and they were at a peek in there cycle.Dad and I had seen them at their peek here a several years earlier,and asked a biologist what they were.We were beet up from packing caribou so we decided to take a day off from hiking the next day.We awoke to a beautiful calm day(it had been very windy)so we got in the boat and started heading up the lake to do some fishing.There was little dots all over the lake.Al said look at all the Bog Lemmings floating around.I said they were a different species,and when he asked what they were I said they were Bob Lemmings.Well I guess we were a little goofy from being in the bush for a while because we both just cracked right up Till we had tears.

kennyj
01-19-2008, 02:20 PM
On that same moose and caribou hunt Al,Dad and I were playing 3 handed crib.Al wasn't doing so well and was getting quite frustrated.Finally after a little peg fest by dad Al threw his cards down and said "Thats it I'm splitting you guys up".Dad and I looked at each other and burst out laughing with Al joining us when he realized what he'd said.

115 or bust
01-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I think my best one my dad and I were on the last day of a hunt up one of the mainland inlets and decided to go for a cruise up the back of the valley. Around the 35 km marker we found a nice slash and glassed it for a while. Then continued on and about 1 km later we got a flat, now don't ask me where the can of repair foam was cause I really don't remember. After some messing around We figured out that I could put my hads on the handlebars and sit on the headlamp (sort of like a bouncing steel enema) Remember this is a t 36 km back lol. Then we get back to 35 km and right where we had been lying down glassing there was a cougar sleeping in the sun right in the middle of the road (eery) I don't know if you've ever balanced on a small metal object while traveling at 10 kmph over potholes before lol but I had to get off every couple hundred meters and pull my pants out of my intestines.:redface: Needles to say the rim was no longer acceptable and the tire had turned to a billion little strips of rubber when we fineally got back to the boat. On the bright side I got at least 10 grouse along the way. lol

Jelvis
12-24-2010, 06:46 PM
We want more my ass is still too big lmao haha ...

Big Lew
12-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Hope my brother doesn't mind, but his story always breaks me up.
Several years ago, my young brother was hunting up near Achurst lake, (he was friends with the owner at the time, and was staying with him) My brother went for a late afternoon/evening hunt in his truck and while trying to drive around the edge of a huge mud hole, his engine quit. Try as he might, he couldn't find the problem and re-start it. Darkness enveloped the scene, and because the truck was at a steep angle and it was a dry, warm evening, my brother decided to spread his bedroll out on the ground and worry about the situation in the morning. He was still quite young and nervous about being there all by himself 15 miles from camp. so he laid his loaded rifle right beside him. It was a full moon, and he had just dozed off when something heavy jumped onto his chest. He said all he saw was this huge gray animal on his chest staring into his face. He said he let out a scream and batted it away, grabbed his rifle and shot it as it came up against a tree trunk. when he put his flashlight on it, it turned out to be a big packrat. He was shaking and so scared by this time, he walked all the way back to the lake cabins carrying his rifle with safety off and pointed back and forth in front of him all the way.

Lee
12-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Great reads, pretty funny stuff. Both me and the wife laughed hard at reading about "Hank", she's looking over my shoulder so now I'll make her cry :)

Her first year hunting. We went out as a family - Me, the wife and our 3 year old daughter - and I really want her to finally get her first buck, so we head up to a well known producing spot thats accessable by road (the kid doesn't walk the bush too far-and she's noisy still ;) ) which is what we had been doing for a few weekends now. If anyone has hunted with their spouse you probably know that sometimes it's not always fun and games and the frustration at not seeing anything (truck hunting sucks sometimes) can eat away at morale. Well....

It's a little after 1:00 pm and we decide to take a little break and park for awhile to see if the set of cuts we can glass will produce for us. The wife has driven to where she wants to go, parks the truck, so I get out for a leak and let the kid fall asleep as afternoon nap might just be a good idea. Get back in the truck, see the kid is sleeping and think that just might be a good idea for me also. Well I'm just starting to hit LaLa land and *SMACK* I'm getting swatted on the back of the head!

I'm waking up going, uh yeah ok I fell asleep no need to hit me...She's going: getyourgungetyourgungetyourgun! in a loud whisper which confuses me even more till I look out the window and see this nice beauty 2x2 meat buck sauntering down the trail 15 feet from us! OK, I'm awake now! Wait a second, it's RIGHT THERE in front of the truck - No, YOU get YOUR gun and shoot him before he spooks! Buck takes another step and still hasn't noticed us sitting in the truck - she's fighting her clip out of the holder on her strap. Buck steps again - she's fighting to clear her gun to get out of the truck. Buck steps again - her door opens, the "Open Door" dinger starts going off (key is in the ignition doh!), the buck freezes, the clip goes in, the buck looks at the wife, the kid starts wailing that she's awake now and I'm saying "Shoot!Shoot!Shoot!before he bolts!" So she slams the door shut (LOL, gotta protect the kids hearing right?) and BANG the DEER is off like a shot. Welllll she goes chasing it back up the hill so I get out to try and cover a crossfire, but I know, just KNOW this buck is long gone so I head back to the truck and try to keep from cursing/laughing my head off. The wife makes it back finally and looks at me cursing about how she's had it with hunting season already and how hard it is to get a deer ...

I just looked at her and said "Honey, hunting isn't always easy. It's not like the deer just walk right up to the front of the truck."

To this day whenever someone complains about how hard the season has been I always tell them the same thing. People usually just agree with me about that, the wife just shoots me dirty looks. :) :)

Jelvis
12-25-2010, 11:33 PM
My Uncle stepped over a downed muley four point to slice it's throat, when the buck jumped up and took my uncle for a bucking bronco buck ride ..
Jel .. still larf my arse off you should a seen the rodeo show lol .. he was a hangin on lmao

saskbooknut
12-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Hunting with the wife, little kid and dog along -
Hunting up the White River for Elk with the wife and Younger daughter who was about 4 years old. This would put it about 1984.
I get to hunt by myself in the morning, Wife hunts by herself in the evening, we take turns with the kiddo along.
Wife is off on her evening hunt so I take the little cutie for a half mile walk, leaving the English Setter in the cab of the pickup. Daughter and I sit down and listen to the elk bugle all around us. I try the bugle and wonder of wonders, get a bull answering me from a few hundred yards. A little calling and the bull is getting closer. Hell, this is interesting, I never imagined taking an Elk with a four year old along, but am I ever up for it.
The truck horn starts up with a beep, da beep, beep.
Funny, I never heard the wife shoot, so why would she be calling me back to camp?
We get back to the truck and the dog is dancing around on the seat, bumping the horn with her English Setter bum, and puking all over the cab of the truck. She had found an old rotten elk hide in the bush and filled her stupid tummy with the guck.
We did not manage to connect with an elk on this trip so we took a Mule deer as consolation prize.
The memories of this trip, one of many hunting trips with a little kid along, are vivid after all these years.

killer
12-26-2010, 10:45 AM
My father is no longer with us but i will always remember one particular day trip.We were hunting out nanaimo lakes , had finished a hike got back to the truck and we had a flat.Jack out up goes truck,he starts spining the nuts off with a over sized tire iron.Well he was almost done we were talking and i guess he spun the iron just as i tripped he turned his head to see what happened and wacked himself on the chin.He then grabbed his face fell backwards into the ditch which was full of water,i almost pissed myself.He didnt think it was too funny,if i could only have caught that on film.

TyTy
12-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Spotted a bull elk. He was atleast a 5x5, couldn't find the sixth point from that distance. I hollered to buddy on the radio to walk real quiet back down the road to me. He was really noisey, too noisey for elk... so i mentioned he should take his shoes off to stalk more quietly.

Elk ended up spooking, and he ends up a kilometer away from his shoes, bare foot, @ dark. :) Buddy exactly didn't share my humour. but has made a good run on joke.

saskbooknut
12-26-2010, 03:22 PM
What ? no porcupine stories ?
Hunting on Morrissey Ridge near Fernie in the late 70s. I arrived in late afternoon, spotting a herd of mule deer in an alpine meadow. I took off from the road to climb to the meadow as the sun was going down but got tangled up in some rock chutes. I made it back to the truck camper well after dark exhaused and crawled in to my sleeping bag.
About 2 AM I am wakened by some scratching noise under the pickup. I get out with the flashlight but could not see anything. I get back in and just about get to sleep again when I hear the same scratching chewing noise again. I get out in the freezing cold in the PJs and chase off a porcupine from under the front of the Chevy.
At dawn, after a quick breakfast I take off by a more wise route in to the alpine meadow. As I break out of the trees my herd of mule deer are in the open and a nice forkhorn stops broadside. One shot from the 30-06 and he is hit a little far back. I move closer and apply a finisher, then tag and dress him out. I drag the deer to the road across the wet grass and through a screen of trees to the road, higher up than I camped the night before.
I hike back to the truck, get in to go fetch my deer, foot on the brake and the pedal goes to the floor. I get out and look under the truck, where drips of brake fluid from the right front tell me the b**tard chewed throught the flexible brake line on the right front wheel. I still have rear brakes when I pump the pedal so I drive uphill to load up the deer.
Now I have to drive down hill several thousand feet with minimal brakes on the Morrissey Road to the highway. I crawled down in compound low living in fear of a runaway on those steep hills. After some serious sweat, some cussing, and a lot of patience I finally made it to the highway at the Morrissey crossing with going over the edge.
I drove in to Cranbrook slowly, making my imitation of the fearful old timer, never getting up any great speed. I stopped at the Speedy Brake shop in Cranbrook but only to find out that no parts are available in Cranbrook on Saturdays in those days. The guys at the brake shop called a wrecking yard and loaned me a car to go and fetch a brake line. I had to take the line off with borrowed tools at the wrecker. I made it back to the brake shop just about closing time but the good guys at the shop installed the brake line and bled the brakes for me by staying late. They had me on my way safely and had my undying appreciation.
Then I was off to my Father-in-Laws place in Kaslo to cut up and freeze the deer before heading home to the Coast. He laughed himself in to fits at my story of the porky eating the brake line.
I never much liked porcupines after that adventure.

The Hermit
12-26-2010, 05:15 PM
On an archery elk hunt in the EK about three years ago... 30 degrees out, top of a large hill overlooking a bog and great surrounding hillsides. The three amegos decide to have a nap but I stay awake and watch the hillside. After a time I spot a 5x5 bull ambling in our direction but angling away so I wisper "ELK" and get the FO BS reply... I say it again and I'm now grabbing my bow and pack. J_T is up and running across that swamp like Flying Ninja Hidden Tiger boy lithly and spritely for an old guy!

A couple days later Franko and I are back there, now in rifle season, and approach the bog from a different direction. Franko elects to go around and having seen Jim skip across there like Peter Fucin Pan I decide to go straight across. One moment I'm doing my best impression of Elmer stalking Bugs Bunny and the next I'm up to my arm pits struggling to keep my rifle outta the shitbog and my head above earth! It took me at least fifteen minutes to extracate myself... ALL my clothes made the drive back to J_T's place in the truck bed... me naked and wrapped in an old blanket! We laughed so hard all the way back... I was so worried that buddy was going to get pulled over for speeding!!

Big Lew
12-26-2010, 06:31 PM
One of my brothers had a similiar incident south of 70 mile (lots of muskeg east of the powerline.) We were duck hunting along a long slough and had gone a long ways without finding a place to cross. Finally we came across a narrow, weed -matted spot. I gingerly went across first then counciled my younger, lighter brother to do the same, but not to step where I had already broken the matting. He got over half way and then down he went. Fortunately I had also advised him to carry his gun sideways with his arms outstretched in front of him. That's what stopped him from going right through and probably drowning because he couldn't touch bottom. Once I realized he was ok, and not likely to break through completely, it took me quite a while to build a path out of limbs so that I could pull him free because I was laughing so hard. Younger brothers have a tough row to hoe sometimes, no sympathy, but lots of teasing.

Jelvis
12-26-2010, 06:46 PM
My uncle told me about a day that was funny, he was hunting for mule deer by Barriere on a ridge when down below he hears three shots in suck session, Bang ... bang .. bang. Then as he waits here it comes up the hill a big four point full steam ahead, running over logs and around trees, my uncle picks up a quick shot POW! Everything goes quiet.
Some ten minutes later a red faced hunter huffs and puffs his way up the ridge, yelling, Hey, don't shoot ah my buck.
Jel .. Don't shoota my buck ..

Farmer001
12-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Sorta of a hunting Story
When I was living in Alberta we had a neighbour who had alot of birdfeeders. There were alot of birds and very noisy, especially at first light and with us having little kids was doubling annoying. So I figured I would fix their wagon and off to the local hardware store to pick out some pellets for my high powered air rifle. All they had were the ones with the pointy tips so I was off to the races. So the next morning after being woken up by the birds and the dog whom the birds tormented I got setup at the basement window with the rifle just inside the door. One landed in our little garden so I lined it up and let her rip. The bird stood there for a second and flew off. Well shrugged and figure I missed no big deal. Shot at a few more and similar thing happens, then finally nail one dead. Tried the gun later in the day and this this is pretty close. For the next few days the routine continued with similar results, with few feathers but not alot of dead ones. Over the next week we notice there are considerably fewer birds in the area and I deemed operation a success. A few weeks later I was talking to the next door neighbour and made a comment about how few of birds there was. The old girl almost broke out in tears as she told me the story of despair on how she was poisoning the birds because she kept finding dead birds in her yard and a few on her porch(figures due to bad bird seed) and can't bring herself to subject any more harm to these poor creatures. I almost choked but told her she was doing the best thing for the birds. I sure miss her but not the birds.

12-26-2010, 08:26 PM
A friend and I were about 15 minutes up the trail, packs on, hoping to find rams. I kept smelling chite, checking my boots, asking him if he smelled it too. This went on until I couldn't take it anymore, dropped my pack and had a real good check for the source of the smell. Taking off my pack I notice my chest strap heavily smeared. Out comes the knife and off with the strap. Discover back at the truck that someone had left a deposit at the side of the
road, and I set my pack down in it while lacing up my boots. My hunting partner was quite a bit more amused than I.

Prowler
12-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Me n the wife and her brother were hunting in the gang quite a few years ago. Brother and I decide to get an early start one morning hiking in to our spot. The wife says, Im gonna sleep for a while in the camper, I will meet you guys at the top around lunch time. OK, off we go. We hike in, and see a few deer, nothing much. We wind our way up to the top, and settle in for lunch waiting for the wife. We see a guy below us hiking up the ridge so we give him a whistle, and he comes up to say hi. He starts to tell us a story. "You guys wont believe what I just saw down below us. This knockout chick in full Camo, and a gun over her shoulder with a full pack, hiking along all by herself!! Man, what are the odds of running in to a hottie like that out in the bush. I sure would like to have my way with her down at the old trappers cabin, I cant believe that, she was HOT!":-D Right then, the wife appears just below us on the hill, and says "Hi guys" Buddy looks at us, and the brotherinlaw says, "Thats my sister, and his wife":-|
Buddy, just turns and walks away without sayin a word....
Me and the BIL start laughin our asses off, and the wife is lookin at us weird, and says "what was that all about?"
I still laugh every time I think about that one...

IronNoggin
12-27-2010, 12:18 PM
More than a few years back one of my Buddies was involved in a major crash while riding his Harley. Completly shattered one leg from mid-thigh down. He went through rehab, but the damn thing never did heal properly, so he eventually became a tad strung on all the dope they fed him to combat the pain. Fearing he would forever be addicted, I decided to take him on a moose hunt, and dry him out while out there...

Set up camp on a dry bar in the Cumberland Delta for base, and began to scour the swamps for slobbernoses. Day 3 I was back from the morning's look, and chowing down on breakfast. Buddy wanders off into the bush for his morning constitutional. Suddenly SCREAMS of intense Fear/Pain? WTF?? Then the yell: BEAR! Snatched up the smokepole and started off quick in his direction. To my wondering eyes he suddenly broke free of the bush, pants around his knees, waddling incredibely fast and effectively dispite this! Up with the cannon, found a fairly large dark object coming fast up behind him, knocked off the safety, then damn near dropped the rifle as I broke out in uncontrollable laughter! There, hot on his tail, was a moose calf that was CERTIAN the grunts he had been producing were those of Mama calling him home. Buddy screamed For ChrisSake SHOOT MAN! More laughter. The calf actually ran right up to him while he flailed on the ground, had a good sniff, snorted, whirled and fled.

My Buddy did dry out, got to the point he went several days without the meds, was worth the effort. Did shoot a nice eating bull, and so we set off for the pull-out at Cumberland House. Arriving without incident at the dock, I told my partner to stand guard over the moose and gear while I thumbed a lift to the now 120 mile distant truck. The local FN's have something of a history of snitching unattended animals and gear, so told him to be cautious, and left my back-up rifle with him...

Got a lift, collected the truck to discover the gas had all been siphoned out (ripped the locking gas caps off). Another lift to a fuel stop, then back meant I got back to the scene well after dark. No Buddy? Rifle laying on the dock - it, the moose, the gear all unattended? WTF?

Laughter from the bush, and a laugh I well recognized. Carefully sneaking in to the blazing fire, I was damn surprised to see my Bud sitting on a stump, buck naked from the waist down, surrounded by two native women, and what appeared to be a rather husky man. Huh? Stepped into the light, rifle at port of arms, and called out What The Hell Are You Doing? He simply looked down at his "member" and with a foolish grin mumbled: Waiting.
OMG! Giggles turned to laughter all round, that was when I realized the husky one was actually another woman, although she was sporting a mustache most men would be proud of. Prodding his ass up with a boot, I suggested we get out of dodge while our skins were still intact. Didn't realize he hadn't collected his pants until we got back to the dock. Sent him back after them... long gone (including his wallet of course).

We got loaded up, and I scared him so bad with horror stories about the rate of AIDS infection on that particular reserve, that he beat a hasty path to the sawbones immediately upon getting home. Checked out OK.

He did kick the habit, didn't get any diseases, and his wallet (sans the cabbage of course) showed up in the mail about a week later (with a note thanking him for the size 40 waist pants!) Win-Win all round. Now he has really made something of his life, has a wonderful Gal and all the nicer things life can offer. Still get a chuckle though when I recall both the moose run, and him looking down and saying: Waiting... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

IslandHunterBXL
12-27-2010, 10:47 PM
My old man was whitetail hunting once and was playing around with drip bags and had made a large mock scrape etc. His friend had traveled up and hunting the same area the week after and when he got back told dad all about this "huge buck scrape" that he sat on for 4 days but never saw any movement. After some questioning it turned out to be the mock-job dad made a week earlier!

redneckdale
12-27-2010, 11:51 PM
I Know a guy who was hunting for a trophy mule deer in reg 3.
He had studied the land pre season and post season scouted this spot for years.
Then one summer while working near by he saw a potential monster (non typical high 130's)probably in his 3rd or 4th year so he let him grow and returned the following two years checking on him(he was now a real beauty right round 200").
Deciding he would return that fall to harvest him.
Well that fall He showed up and hunted hard for two days, on day three five minutes into shooting time there he appeared on a ridge about 350yds away, but something was blocking the shot when he put the scope up.
It was a doe he thought shit gotta wait it out, so about ten minutes passes and he moves up a few steps... ...BOOM!
He looks up from the scope and can see him hit the dirt.
Awesome, unload the rifle cut the tag and make the trek.
Well He gets there and cuts a huge track where He thought mr big was but nothing, looks around a bit figuring he probably went down hill when all of a sudden there he is.
Well He runs down to him only to find out he's a basket 4 must have been the deer he thought was a doe!
To this day he is still pissed and has no clue how he miss judged the shot.

combine pilot
12-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Once upon a time there were 3 guys out for a nice 2 week hunting trip. Had a hot tip to try out the PocketKnife area, so off we went. What a monsoon. Litterly soaking wet, so we decided to check out a different area. Off to Crying girl Prairie we went. On the way there we stopped at Won-o-Won to restock on wobbly pops. On the way out of the store, Buddy #1 {Scott} told Buddy #2 {Richard} to give the GENUINE ELK WHISTLE a try. Richard says sure and gives the whistle a blow. Well he blew on that whistle hard enough he filled his face flour and blew it a good 3 feet past his face. Priceless. He drops the whistle and starts heading out the door calling Scott all kinds of nice names and trying to get the rapidly forming dough balls out of his eyes. Again Priceless. There was 6 people who seen all this happen. Myself, Scott, the 2 store owners, one older gentleman sitting at one of the booths and of course Richard. Well off to Crying Girl we go laughing our asses off as Richard sits in the passenger seat threatening to sue the store owners and still calling Scott all kinds of nice names. Well 3 days later we are out quading around looking for a likely elk spot when we meet 5 other people sitting on their quads chatting. We pull up and start BSing with these gentlemen. The BS session was going on for 10-15 minutes when this older gentleman finally says I can't take it any longer, I have to tell this story of 3 guys coming into Won-O-Won the other day and 1 of them blew on the whistle. He then points at Richard and says " It was him". Well we all pretty much fell of our bikes laughing. Not sure how humourous this is in print, but to have actually seen it. Was worth millions.

horshur
12-29-2010, 10:57 PM
A friend of mine was up from the big smoke....I had been hunting a ridge and the deer had made me everytime and thought it would be a good hunt two guys on the ridge. There was a nice buck by the sign.

anyway...first morning I take one side Terry the other and it works!! Nice buck has moved over to his side I catch just a bit of movement just like the last three times...BOOM and the 4 point runs my way right into my lap stops to look back at terry..I drop him.

Terry runs over it's the biggest buck he has ever shot it's high 5's and and laughs until......he looks where he hit him. He didn't.

It was a good day with a good friend. This bucks rack shares a prominent place at my house...and whenever we get together it gives us another laugh.

Awishanew
12-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Years ago we shot two moose in the Chicotin. I then weighed 145 pounds and was carreing a quarter which weighed about 180 pounds. The snow was knee deep and snowing hard. I came upon a pole fence and decided to rest my shoulders by putting the pack on the fence. The weight flipped me right over the fence and pinned me head down in the snow. My partner was mad at first as he would have to take his pack off to get me out. We both had a good belly laugh afterwards.:-D:-D

Awishanew
12-30-2010, 05:37 PM
I was bowhunting with Onesock. He went on one side of the road to find a place to put up a stand. I went on the other side. After climbing and looking for quite awhile I decided to go down and cross the road. I figured I was further down than I was. I went into the bush and eventually found a good spot so I picked a tree and set up my stand. I returned the same way I came in. We were to meet at a spot and light a fire and have lunch. We talked about where we were setup. Onesock says you are pretty close to where I am set up. I never saw any other tracks as I came in from another way. When we were going to our stands for the afternoon we wound up being on the same trail 8 yds. apart.

Hunterguy
12-31-2010, 12:08 PM
A few years ago my hunting partner of 25 years was wanting to cash in on his whitetail doe draw late in the season. Now his wife is still to this day not impressed when hunting season arrives, time away etc. Should I say with herself and the two daughters there isn't a lot of support when he says he would like to get away for any kind of hunt. Away he went up to Penticton to visit his inlaws and while the family and his two young girls were kept busy he decided to sneak away for the morning to fill his tag. He drove up into the hills and hadn't gotten to far into his hunt when there was a dry doe that he decided to take. A shot and the deer went into some timber. He waited and then it became his own worse nightmare, the deer had vanished. After spending the day searching and feeling sick to his stomach he arrived back at the inlaws in a very somber mood. the next morning he got up early and went back to the spot to search again, time was limited because he was to take the girls shopping at the mall. Again with no sign of the deer he arrives at the inlaws, packs up the girls, ages 5 and 7, the wife and off to the mall. While at the food fair he runs into a couple who are from the lower mainland also, in fact a guy who he has worked with for years, a guy who at one time was an avid hunter himself. They get to talking over a coffee and the fellow says that he and he wife had gone up to the hills for a drive and a bit of a hike and they came upon a good reason for why he quit hunting, a wounded deer hobbling on three legs. My buddys ears perk up, oh thats a shame and where would you have seen this, they explain the road etc and he couldn't beleive what he was hearing, the exact same place where he had lost the deer, panick sets in, now he is rushing through the mall, finds the family packs them up in the truck and explains to his wife what he has to do. No time to drop them off and up into the hills they go. Parks the truck and up the bank and into the bush he goes, not far along there she was where the couple said she would be, the deer spooks down the bank runs across the road right in front of the truck and the screaming girls and there he finishs the deer off. Loads the deer in the back and then enters the cab to the crying kids and a very not so understanding wife. He said it was a long trip home.

moose2
01-01-2011, 08:58 AM
We were all back at the tent having lunch , when are partner comes in all excited. " I JUST GOT MY FIRST BUCK " we all congratulated him. He told us he had shot a nice 3 point mule deer and that it was gutted and still in the cut block. Thats when I came up with the idea to tell him how we all celebrated our first antlered animals. I told him to pick a liquor, or mustard, ketchup or what ever he wanted, then I told him that we would remove a testical from the sack , and he would have to cover it in the liquid of his choice and pop the nut into his mouth. He called BS on me , but thats when the other three guys kicked in " he's telling the truth we all had to do this ". Finally he grabs a mickey of butterscotch ripple and says lets get this over with. So away we all go to the deer. I cut the sack and pass him the shinny nut. He pours the ripple all over it takes a swig and then pops the nut in his mouth. We are all in tears, so after he wipes his tounge rapidly with his hand. He looks at all of us and says I am the first guy to do that arn't I. I got my composure back and confessed to making up the whole story. He was a good sport and found the humor in it , but on the way back to camp with his deer he did say " WHAT HAPPENS AT HUNTING CAMP STAYS AT HUNTING CAMP RIGHT GUYS" " I SAID RIGHT GUYS" . Until this story it had been kept fairly quiet.
Hope you guys enjoyed it.
Mike

Walksalot
01-01-2011, 09:37 AM
A few years ago I shot an elk a ways back in the woods. We went back for the last load and could not find the liver. After a quick search we found it at the base of a Lodge Pole Pine. About that time, from near the top of the tree, a Pine Marten started calling us all sorts of bad names. We got quite a chuckle out of the little bugger's antics and in the end left it a piece of the liver.

frenchbar
01-02-2011, 06:17 PM
back in the day when there was an gos on muley does ..me and my bro camelsfoot went out looking for a beauty 5 pt that he had been trying to track down for the past month..we got parked and went out looking for him ..wasnt gone about 10 min and i run into a group of does...without much thought i draw up and take a nice young doe ..after a couple min i yell out 'hey i got your 5 pt ..hes a beauty ' he shouts back' you prick'..he strolls up the hill to see me cleaning out the doe.. i start laughing like a b---rd..he got a good chuckle out of it as well .we never did catch up with that buck ..no help to me:mrgreen:

moose2
01-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Years ago my buddy and his younger brother and I were hunting blacktails near Lake Cowichan. We had walked a long ways during the morning and my partners wanted to road hunt for awhile. I am not the best road hunter so after an hour or so I dozed off in the back seat of his bronco. I am sound asleep when I hear them both yell " BIG BUCK " I feel the bronco slide side ways in the gravel and then come to a stop. I heard both doors open quickly , by this time I am heading out the door with my rifle in hand still groggy. Once my eyes came into focus I relized I was standing in the parking lot at the Honeymoon Bay store. They got me good. We all had a great laugh over that one.
Mike

frenchbar
01-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Years ago my buddy and his younger brother and I were hunting blacktails near Lake Cowichan. We had walked a long ways during the morning and my partners wanted to road hunt for awhile. I am not the best road hunter so after an hour or so I dozed off in the back seat of his bronco. I am sound asleep when I hear them both yell " BIG BUCK " I feel the bronco slide side ways in the gravel and then come to a stop. I heard both doors open quickly , by this time I am heading out the door with my rifle in hand still groggy. Once my eyes came into focus I relized I was standing in the parking lot at the Honeymoon Bay store. They got me good. We all had a great laugh over that one.
Mike
hahahaha..good one!!

fozzy
01-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I had a pretty good chuckle this year when I shot my whitetail.

I was sitting in the tree line before I got light out. My two partners took my truck and dropped me off. Through the morning I had been seeing some Doe's and small bucks pass by. One doe was slowly feeding along and I was watching her then notived a buck real close in front of me. I decided to shoot it but needed it to clear some stumps/bush. As I was waiting for it to make the last step I hear something off to my right. Ohoh, it's a truck that has driven into the cut block. The buck is about 50 yards in front of me and the truck maybe 75 off to my right. As I bring my rifle across reeaal slow the buck is nervous... I look over towards the truck now the other hunter is out of his truck with his rifle... oh oh.. the buck takes that last step, the cross hairs on the neck..... boom I drop it then look over at the other hunter and he's dancing around trying to see where the shot came from. I tried to whistle at him but he's obviously looking rattled or cheezed off or both.
It would have scared the crap out of him..
I wonder what went through his mind? It kind of made me laugh though. I've pushed deer out to the road before as a road hunter happened to be nearby and shot it so this time it was my turn :)

Phreddy
01-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Early season, took the .22 for some grouse hunting. Got there, opened up the trunk, getting the gun all ready; oh wait, what's this trigger lock doing there? :frown: What's more, I forgot the key to it... luckily someone has an extra shotty, otherwise I would've been the laughingstock of the group ;-)

That's why I switched to combination locks.

elkdom
01-03-2011, 06:01 PM
That's why I switched to combination locks.

sure, thats why Alzheimer patients use them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:?

they can NEVER misplace their keys! :mrgreen:

Walksalot
01-04-2011, 09:20 AM
We were hunting up Prince George way and ran into a couple of other hunters. A short time later we heard some shots and went to see what the shooting was all about. We came upon the two hunters from a short time ago and a cow moose laying on the ground. The fellow I was hunting with worked for the Wildlife Branch, produced his identification and asked who shot the moose. Each guy pointed at each other and the looks on their faces was priceless. I almost started to laugh but caught myself. We got a license number from the vehicle and continued on our merry way. A short time later another vehicle, a truck and camper arrived and we thought this was rather strange. Once again the fellow I was hunting with produced his identification and asked the driver of the truck and camper who shot the moose and he claimed that he shot the moose and produced his LEH cow moose permit. He claimed he was hunting with the two other guys and after shooting the moose hiked over the mountain to get his truck and camper. Well the antics of these guys was simply priceless and all three looked like they were suffering from terrible gas pains. We laughed our asses off when we heard they pleaded guilty to poaching.

moose2
01-13-2011, 05:47 AM
A few years ago myself and one of my partners took both our families on a August moose hunt in the Chetwynd area. We were there for a four days. The last two we had alot of rain and my wife was concerned that we might not get out of our camping spot to the main road once the camper and utility trailer was on. I told her not to worry the road in question was only 400 meters long and I could keep one wheel in the grass for traction.
So we were all loaded up and following my buddy out. He went straight down the middle of the road in a pick up and small quad trailer. He made it look easy. So i followed and found a deep hole and burried a 3/4 ton 4x4 camper and a trailer with 3 quads on it to its axles. We were stuck good , after 2 hours of winching , jacking , unloading trailers , falling trees, and so on we were finally on the road again. Then it started from the passenger side "I thought you were going to drive in the grass" ....... "we would have been half way home already"......."you took so long now I am hungry again"......... " if you think that was fun you can hunt on your own next time" ........and so on and so on. Finally after twenty minutes of this I looked down at the seat and saw the tub of jube jube candies. I grabbed a couple then stuck one in my left ear then the second in my right, and I just kept driving. When she looked over and saw what I did she said loud enough for me to hear through my new ear plugs. " I get the point you a-hole " I just smiled and kept driving , after a few minutes she also saw the humour in it and we both had a good laugh.
Mike

.330 Dakota
01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
1988 Temagami Ont moose hunt, we hunted hard for 10 days, no fresh sign, nothing. Last night of the hunt a big bull tripped on our tent guide rope and the tent partially came down at about 1am. We got up and fixed it, and the bull stood there at 20 yards and watched us. Next day we were packing up to leave when he showed his face again, fatal mistake and moose on the grill

budismyhorse
01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
A few years ago myself and one of my partners took both our families on a August moose hunt in the Chetwynd area. We were there for a four days. The last two we had alot of rain and my wife was concerned that we might not get out of our camping spot to the main road once the camper and utility trailer was on. I told her not to worry the road in question was only 400 meters long and I could keep one wheel in the grass for traction.
So we were all loaded up and following my buddy out. He went straight down the middle of the road in a pick up and small quad trailer. He made it look easy. So i followed and found a deep hole and burried a 3/4 ton 4x4 camper and a trailer with 3 quads on it to its axles. We were stuck good , after 2 hours of winching , jacking , unloading trailers , falling trees, and so on we were finally on the road again. Then it started from the passenger side "I thought you were going to drive in the grass" ....... "we would have been half way home already"......."you took so long now I am hungry again"......... " if you think that was fun you can hunt on your own next time" ........and so on and so on. Finally after twenty minutes of this I looked down at the seat and saw the tub of jube jube candies. I grabbed a couple then stuck one in my left ear then the second in my right, and I just kept driving. When she looked over and saw what I did she said loud enough for me to hear through my new ear plugs. " I get the point you a-hole " I just smiled and kept driving , after a few minutes she also saw the humour in it and we both had a good laugh.
Mike

...........uhhhh, are all women the same? Sounds like someone I know.....;)

thanks for sharing your pain!