PDA

View Full Version : bear protection

brian
01-14-2008, 01:21 PM
The other thread on Bear protection got me thinking. I was thinking it would be cool to go out and do some summer hunting with my camera. Get a nice telephoto lens and see what I can get pics of. Then I thought to myself, would I bring rifle with me as well for bear protection? So say you are heading into the interior (not too far from the Fraser Valley) and you are heading into deer/bear territory, would you bring a rifle with you in summer? I'm just curious to hear what other people would do.

todbartell
01-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I wouldnt go in the bush without a gun. If not needed for the protection, it makes ya look bad ass 8)

The Dawg
01-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Absolutely....never without one in the bush

Dayto
01-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I never go in the wood's with out a Rifle or a Handgrenade .

303carbine
01-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I pack a rifle even when I go fishin'
I tie the line to the tip of my 300 mag,it's kinda heavy but I feel safer in bear country.:D

Gateholio
01-14-2008, 01:45 PM
See Bartells sig line...:wink:

Islandeer
01-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Your a wuss if you need one. Now if you are going to Surrey, that's another thing.....

tracker
01-14-2008, 02:03 PM
I would ,maybe take a few practice shots while you are in some familiar country,you will be surprized what happens ...

Dukeoflawnchair
01-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Like the millions of yuppy weekend warrir folk who valiantly brave the terrors of nature every year, chances are you won't get mauled either. If you're out often though, it's plain ignorance on your part to not take precautions. I've been working in either Forestry or Mining exploration the past handful of summers, and all of the "Lifers" have stories where a rifle saved one's ass. I was also in the same Ft Nelson camp as that planter checker who got mauled by a black bear (carrying mace). She was saved by a guy with a rifle, but not until after some damage.

"Bear attacks seem more prevalent now. There's less hunting pressure on bears, so there are more around, and they're losing some of their respect for man because we're more passive with them," -Kelowna Conservation Officer Greg Hoyer

I try to say this everytime a bear defense thread starts...

Read "Bear Attack II: Myths and Mysteries" by James Gary Shelton

tracker
01-14-2008, 02:35 PM
think ya could take em !!!!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/11_1_20078_04AM_0002.jpg?t=1200346436

kootenayelkslayer
01-14-2008, 03:05 PM
If i was in grizz country i'd pack a gun, especially after being charged by a sow with cubs last summer without a gun. That was a helpless feeling that i don't want to have to go through again. 45-70 will be my new hiking partner in grizz country.

Sasquatch
01-14-2008, 03:42 PM
I carry pepper spray when I am fishing or hiking in the summer. I don't want to bother toting a rifle with me if I am not looking to shoot something.

RMG
01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Like the boy scout leader said, Be Prepared.

It really depends on what I am doing, and where, but I always have a new (this season) can of Counter Assult or a rifle with me. Sometimes both, as the rifle can get in the way, when fishin, or berry pickin, and is no good leaned up against that tree over there.

Just because your NOT in Gbear country is no reason to believe you are safe. Blackies try to eat way more humans that Gbears do in our beautiful BC.

Be Prepared, Be Safe, and Have Fun

timberhunter
01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
think ya could take em !!!!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/11_1_20078_04AM_0002.jpg?t=1200346436

That thing has the same hairdo as gatehouse :)

Wildfoot
01-14-2008, 06:26 PM
ive never carried a gun in the bush when hiking or fishing. Other than fishing during the salmon run i havent had too many negative meetings with the furry kind. I have found that bangers and pepper spray is pretty much useless (unless you just like crap hanging on your belt). I would consider bringing a gun with me in an area where i am sure to find bears who may be aggressive (around rivers during the salmon spawn, berry picking in grizz country).

I would rather try my best to avoid negative encounters with bruins. I have been stuck in my canoe on a lake waiting for a grizz and 2 cubs to leave the boat launch so i could get back to shore.. i doubt a rifle would have helped much in that situation since I wouldnt provoke an attack just to kill the bear.

Will
01-14-2008, 06:33 PM
You guys are all a bunch of Babies !!!
http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/jpgs/tim_bear.jpg

Tim lived with some of the biggest Brown Bears NA can offer with nothing more then a Camera for years...:roll:

Actually this doesn't end good...........nevermind:redface:

RMG
01-14-2008, 06:44 PM
ive never carried a gun in the bush when hiking or fishing. Other than fishing during the salmon run i havent had too many negative meetings with the furry kind. I have found that bangers and pepper spray is pretty much useless (unless you just like crap hanging on your belt). I would consider bringing a gun with me in an area where i am sure to find bears who may be aggressive (around rivers during the salmon spawn, berry picking in grizz country).

I would rather try my best to avoid negative encounters with bruins. I have been stuck in my canoe on a lake waiting for a grizz and 2 cubs to leave the boat launch so i could get back to shore.. i doubt a rifle would have helped much in that situation since I wouldnt provoke an attack just to kill the bear.

Is this from personal knowledge? Personal use of the products? Or just you opinion.

I have many friends in the forest industry that owe their lives to that can of pepper spray they had on their belt. The evidence is out there and proves that pepper spray works. It may not be the best defense, but it is better than no defense, and will never replace common sence and avoidance as the best defense against jaws and claws.

Spuddge
01-14-2008, 07:00 PM

Unfortunately you can't always avoid encounters, I don't think anybody purposely has a "negative" bear encounter. The fact is, although they are rare, bear attacks DO happen and usually when you least expect it. I just finished reading "Mark of the Grizzly" by Scott McMillion. In every case the people involved were caught off guard by the attacks, (a couple of girls were attacked from 300 meters by a sow with cubs). I would rather be safe when in the bush. CARRY PROTECTION.

pupper
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I wouldnt go in the bush without a gun. If not needed for the protection, it makes ya look bad ass 8)
exactly.

But for real, I would go in the bush w/o a gun in the off season. I dont worry about being eaten by a bear.

Wildfoot
01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Is this from personal knowledge? Personal use of the products? Or just you opinion.

I have many friends in the forest industry that owe their lives to that can of pepper spray they had on their belt. The evidence is out there and proves that pepper spray works. It may not be the best defense, but it is better than no defense, and will never replace common sence and avoidance as the best defense against jaws and claws.

mostly personal, or friends experience. I have never used spray on a bear, but I have sprayed off plenty of cans (staff training lol) i found the spray to not go out that far.. and you are screwed if you are down wind (found this out the hard way). I have shot off around 50 bangers. almost 75% have gone off so close to the launcher i have been hit by shrapnel (have a vid but with bad words haha). The distance from which they fire to when they bang is not consistent enough for me to want to trust my life on. Last thing i want is a pissed off bear to hear a bang behind him LOL.

I guess the spray is OK, but if I get that close to a mad bear I would prefer a gun! Ive also punched a hole in a can while climbing.. that was not a plesant experience!

Like I said before, if the chance of a negative encounter is high I would bring a gun. If I am just going out for a hike where there isnt a good chance I would have a bad run in with a bear (prov park trails, etc.) then I would just stay cautious and try my best to stay out of a bad situation. This isnt foolproof, but neither is toting a gun around with me everywhere.

Panda
01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
What sort of firearm do you guys pack? Shotgun? Rifle - calibre?

Leaseman
01-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I have had a big bore 94 for close to 20 years...a 375 win. with 250 grain bullets that comes with me on ANY trips into the bush....gives me comfort...:biggrin:

01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
When I pack a rifle for bear protection, I take my 450 Marlin. Not too pleasant to shoot, but hits like the hammer of Thor. I do a lot of hiking in the summer, and usually just take pepper spray, as I find the weight of the rifle slows me down. I also choose to hike with people I can out-run.

huntinnut
01-14-2008, 09:06 PM
I happen to work in the bush as a forestry layout consultant and I do carry pepper spray. Most of the time I don't carry a gun. I havn't needed to use any form of defense in the few encounters I have had.

I like the idea and security of carrying a gun, but attacks are so rare that a gun just becomes extra weight after hundreds or perhaps thousands of days without needing it. Eventually most layout people stop carrying guns. Those who do carry a gun usually have a defender in a holster on their vest.

I do have a hard time trusting that pepper spray will save me, it defies logic. I carry pepper spray because it is light, easy to pack around, and has a proven track record for those who have had to use it.

hunter1947
01-15-2008, 05:13 AM
I would take bear spray and a weapon ,try and take a gun that is light and will take down a big game animal ,i use a 12 gauge pump shotgun that has been modified to make it short ,but is legal to have.

kootenayelkslayer
01-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Unfortunately you can't always avoid encounters, I don't think anybody purposely has a "negative" bear encounter. The fact is, although they are rare, bear attacks DO happen and usually when you least expect it. I just finished reading "Mark of the Grizzly" by Scott McMillion. In every case the people involved were caught off guard by the attacks, (a couple of girls were attacked from 300 meters by a sow with cubs). I would rather be safe when in the bush. CARRY PROTECTION.

It's interesting you say that they were charged from 300 yards. This is exactly what happened to me, with a sow and cubs that were probably over a hundred yards away, but as soon as she found out that we were there, she came running right for us, even though she had tons of room.
I've heard a few stories like this now where sows with cubs have travelled a lot of ground to charge or attack people, even though you would think that they would have no reason to feel threatened because of the distance.
My landlord, a CO in town, has come across this a few times and said that you should just never let a sow with cubs know that you are there.

kootenayelkslayer
01-15-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't know if you have seen that Cabela's hunting video on youtube, where they get charged by that sow with a cub. But it was the same thing where the sow came from a long way to charge the hunters. Seems really strange to me.

Spuddge
01-15-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't know if you have seen that Cabela's hunting video on youtube, where they get charged by that sow with a cub. But it was the same thing where the sow came from a long way to charge the hunters. Seems really strange to me.
I,ve watched that video a couple of times, that sow covered alot of yardage very quickly, they say they took the shot that put her down at 8 yards. You never know, it could happen to anyone, I'll keep carrying my 12 gauge with slugs.

01-15-2008, 02:10 PM
We were in Grizz country in the North Shuswap on ATV's. We each had a can of Bear Spray (more spice for the bears) and I had the father-in-law's Winchester Defender (12 guage). Obviously there is a need for the bear to be closer than would be preferred in order for the weapon to be useful, but if wants to say hello to a one ounce slug coming at him....bring it on!:cool:

alremkin
01-15-2008, 02:54 PM
When hiking I like to go to places where it's legal to hunt. Sort of a scouting trip. I used to carry my 338, but now I've got a 416 with iron sights which should be about right for close encounters with big bruins.

Rock Doctor
01-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I've seen bears hit with pepper spray, and bear bangers (literally), some run as fast as possible and never come back. Others will run about 15-20 feet and return right away (licking there lips as they waltz toward you). Bangers and spray are better than "Shoo Bear", but unless I am restricted from packing a firearm, for one reason or another, I prefer to pack a rifle.
I have also been left out in the bush overnight, unexpectedly, when my ride (Chopper) could not get to me (Weathered in). Having a rifle under those conditions made spending the night a little more comfortable.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Fixed%20Pics/BadBear.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Fixed%20Pics/StandingBear.jpg

happygilmore
01-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Walk tall and carry a big boom stick.

Defender is a good gun but if you have a pistol grip don't loose your marbles and empty the 7rds before he gets in close because I could never hit much past 30yds from the hip and if you try to aim when your excited you might just get konked! guys say 45-70 is good and I'd rather have accuracy.

okanagan hiker
01-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Would a 30-30 be adequate for Black Bear protection? ( 170 gr WW Silver Tips ) Moderate recoil, I am accurarate ( at 25 yards or less ) and quick enough, I think. Or am I deluding myself about this cartridge?

West Coast BC, lower mainland and Okanagan.... no giant grizzlies here ( I think ).

OKH

kootenayelkslayer
01-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Would a 30-30 be adequate for Black Bear protection? ( 170 gr WW Silver Tips ) Moderate recoil, I am accurarate ( at 25 yards or less ) and quick enough, I think. Or am I deluding myself about this cartridge?

West Coast BC, lower mainland and Okanagan.... no giant grizzlies here ( I think ).

OKH

A guy that i've guided black bears with swears by the 30-30 for his back up gun. He likes the fact that you can pump alot of rounds through it quickly. He's used it on quite a few blackies and never had a problem. He even used it when we were in the NWT, prime grizz country. I carry a lil more gun personnally.

fuzzwilkens
01-15-2008, 08:17 PM
I ran into a bear last summer with my daughter and partner and we all sure felt much better I brought along the Marlin 45/70 with 405 grain bullets. The bear was 200 yards away and didn't run or advance but I had my iron sights on it in case it wanted to have my kid for dinner. I've read James Gary Shelton's Bear Encounters, Bear Attacks I and II and my one encounter was consistent with his findings that black bears can be predatory too. This bear was not afraid of us and was deciding what to do.

Will
01-15-2008, 08:57 PM
The only Bear I've honestly shot out of "defense" I did so with that exact combo..........Yes it works just fine;-)

uraarchr
01-15-2008, 09:28 PM
i almost always pack a gun.one day i took my 3 yr old out for a walk west of calgary:in an area where i've never seen bears or sign.my buddy who's hunted there for years hasnt seen any either.anyway less than 40 yards ahead of me and my son (who was in front) :out comes a black bear between us and the vehicle .my kid started hollering(like a dinner bell for the bear).luckily the bear looked at us and ran the other way.now i own a 45-70 for this type of siuation.hope i see a bear.

abbyfireguy
01-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I have 12 ga defender I pack in the summer fishing if in bear country.
With kids with me I would not think twice about pulling the trigger if needed.

okanagan hiker
01-15-2008, 10:47 PM
The only Bear I've honestly shot out of "defense" I did so with that exact combo..........Yes it works just fine;-)
Will...

Thanks for your reply... an actual " I tried this and it worked / didn't work" experience is great.

I think a lot of hunters are carryng similar calibers (30-30, 303, 243, 270, etc ) and altho it may be preferable to carry a more powerful firearm ( for bears, but overkill for deer, etc ), when you need one, you will be stuck with what you have in your hands!

Can I ask... distance, where did you hit the bear, was it a stalker/charged/or?

OKH

Will
01-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Can I ask... distance, where did you hit the bear, was it a stalker/charged/or?
I used to pack a 30-30 wcf 94 Winnie my dad gave me.......shot 3 maybe 4 bears with that one....factory ammo (usually 170 grainers) all expired just fine with 1 shot save one I remember I shot abit high and spined him...that one was going nowhere but did get a 2nd shot to speed up his demise;-)

The one bear I shot "in defense" was a fiesty lil 5 footer...long story short. I was deer hunting and decided to pack my PCMR 94 in 30wcf as I was gonna be spending alot of time in thick bush. I was heading up an overgrown cut when the bear came charging down huffing away at me and stopped about 10 feet uphill from me, stood on a fallen log looking down at me...ears tucked back beedy little eyes glaring at me. I shouldered my rifle and said out loud..."if you step over that log I'm gonna plug you my Friend !"
After about a 30 second stare off, I was actually stepping backwards down the hill, he stepped over the log towards me.......BAM ! I let him have it ! His movements were too deliberate and predation was a big possibility IMO.

The 1st shot entered just right of chest centre...he tumbled down the hill...I actually jumped to the right as he rolled past.
He jumped up and began stumbling straight down the hill...I shot another one and hit him just left of the spine as he ran away....he dropped on the spot and I later discovered the bullet went through the liver and exited the front right at the brisket. I reluctantly clipped my tag.......he was a nice cinnamon bear at any rate.:-(

At reasonable ranges a 170 grain 30 cal bullet exceeding 2000 fps is a formidable round and certainly mated with a light, quick handling little carbine makes for a handy defensive package:cool:

IIRC you may recall one of the wost Blackbear maulings in BC History at the Liard Hot springs was ended by a 30-30......:wink:

Mr. Dean
01-16-2008, 01:20 AM
luckily the bear looked at us and ran the other way.now i own a 45-70 for this type of siuation.hope i see a bear.

Then go and hunt one. Its that simple. Hoping for an attack to happen, could take a while.

When just out stomping through the forest, I'm always toting my Marlin 45-70 w/ iron sights. It shoulders quick, shoots awesome and is pleasant to shoot. It takes nothing to blow off 50 rounds at the range in one sitting.

alremkin
01-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Agreed, think of it as a preventive management program. By hunting and taking a bear there will be ever so slightly less presure on the other remaining bears to invade human space. I'm not opposed to a bounty when the bear populations become dangerously high. I'm recently retired and could use the odd pay check, lol.:biggrin:

hunter1947
01-16-2008, 05:01 AM
This is what i carry around for protection ,12 gauge that holds 7 rounds.:wink:. http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_0828.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5151&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=941)

KevinB
01-16-2008, 05:31 PM

OKH

I've seen a few Grizz in the Okanagan, they are definitely there, especially as you get over to the wet belt areas. I have heard of a few sightings in the south OK at low elevations in the last few years, maybe the locals could add to that...

GoatGuy
01-16-2008, 07:23 PM

OKH

Certainly better than the alternative - throwing rocks at them doesn't work real well.:lol:

There's plenty of grizz in the high country on the east side of the Okanagan. Depending on the spots you'll see them every day or every other day. You'll find them towards OK lake but that's rare - once the ymake it down that far they either end up in a co trap or in some instances being shot.

In the coast mountains you'll also see griz - depends on where you're headed as they're kind of spotty.

In the summer the bears are usually in the berry bushes in a big way, which are usually in old burns or cutblocks. The chances of running into them in the alpine are fairly slim as compared to spring or fall. We don't usually take a firearm in the summer months.

cbearw
01-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Most follks who live and work in high density bear situations on the coast use a 12 guage loaded with slugs or sometimes they alternate slugs with SSG's. They also use a full stock. I used to fish with a friend in the mid coast on rivers that were full of grizz and some black. He was born and raised there, was a bear guide in Rivers and Smith Inlet, and still commercial fishes that area. I have the utmost respect for this man. He used to wear his shotgun on his back all the time while we fished away. You guessed it......12 guage pump with a full stock. This is the standard issue firearm for bear protection for all the guys/gals that count salmon in bear country. I lived and worked there to for 15 years between Bella Bella and Rivers/Smiths and that is what I typically packed. Many scary encounters but was never charged or had to kill a bear. Some others I worked with were charged or mauled. One fellow I knew was mauled on the Washwash River off Oweekeno Lake. Years later he still has problems speaking and stutters a lot.
I don't know much about bear spray except a good friend had to use it on a grizz and it had little effect on it from 30 to 40 feet away.
There will probably be hundreds or thousands of times you don't need your shotgun but it only takes that one time that you do and if you don't have it.........
Also its pretty hard to enjoy yourself in that kind of bear country when you don't have a bear weapon. Your suddenly feel naked and way down on the food chain and its not a nice feeling!

KevinB
01-17-2008, 09:13 AM
[quote=cbearw;230947]I don't know much about bear spray except a good friend had to use it on a grizz and it had little effect on it from 30 to 40 feet away.quote]

No kiddin'...30 to 40 feet is pretty much outside of the effective range of bear spray. 10-12 feet and it might have worked a little better.:cool:

hunter1947
01-17-2008, 09:19 AM
[quote=cbearw;230947]I don't know much about bear spray except a good friend had to use it on a grizz and it had little effect on it from 30 to 40 feet away.quote]

No kiddin'...30 to 40 feet is pretty much outside of the effective range of bear spray. 10-12 feet and it might have worked a little better.:cool:Bear spray is good at a distance at 10 feet away if there is no wind ,or when he is on top of you.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif.

lightmag
01-18-2008, 04:52 PM
i care a defender with stock, loaded with slugs and buck shot alternated!! heard numerous times from CO"s and others this is the best load.

Will
01-18-2008, 07:20 PM
i care a defender with stock, loaded with slugs and buck shot alternated!! heard numerous times from CO"s and others this is the best load.
The best load would be to ditch the shot and just fill it up with slugs:wink:

Rob
01-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Im going to start hiking this spring and ill be bringing my rifle with me, I want to be used to packing my rifle/weighted back pack all day so that im used to it come hunting season.Im no too concerned about bear/cougar attacks but if it happens ill have a rifle with me.Rob

Walksalot
01-19-2008, 07:52 AM
If you are carrying bear spray for protection do yourself a favor. Splurge on a can and take it somewhere and try it out. To have a piece of equipment for protection and to never try it out before going into the bush doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

hunter1947
01-19-2008, 08:20 AM
If you are carrying bear spray for protection do yourself a favor. Splurge on a can and take it somewhere and try it out. To have a piece of equipment for protection and to never try it out before going into the bush doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Very good advice walksalot. Try it in the wind and then without wind and see how far the differences are ,and how far you can reach out.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

boxhitch
01-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Or how far it wil NOT reach out. Effectively. Try it out on a reactive target.

boxhitch
01-19-2008, 08:33 AM
loaded with slugs and buck shot alternated!! heard numerous times from CO"s and others this is the best load.
From C/Os ? Really ? Now I question their abilities/training even more than before.

Squirrelnuts
01-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Why do people load w/ buckshot? I wonder if people think it'll be easier to hit the target with 8 or 9 little pellets than with 1 big one? (At the range that we're dealing with, that shouldn't be the case... These things don't spread like Elmer Fudd's shotgun).

So, for you guys that alternate buckshot and slugs, could you explain why? I'm curious if there's a reason that I haven't been able to come up with.

browningboy
01-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I've seen bears hit with pepper spray, and bear bangers (literally), some run as fast as possible and never come back. Others will run about 15-20 feet and return right away (licking there lips as they waltz toward you). Bangers and spray are better than "Shoo Bear", but unless I am restricted from packing a firearm, for one reason or another, I prefer to pack a rifle.
I have also been left out in the bush overnight, unexpectedly, when my ride (Chopper) could not get to me (Weathered in). Having a rifle under those conditions made spending the night a little more comfortable.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Fixed%20Pics/BadBear.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Fixed%20Pics/StandingBear.jpg
Thats wild, thought the first pic you put a mount at the window then seen the second, have you had one punch through the glass??

KevinB
01-19-2008, 05:26 PM
$50 thrown in the air(literally) ."Try it in the wind" -must have some kind of breathing & eye protection- If you must practice(I don't see any point) then get a WASP spray (good to 20 ft. & only a fraction of the cost)

Gee, great point, what a waste of time eh, to actually practice with something that you might have to use against something with big teeth that wants to eat you. :roll:

this little icon's eyes don't roll nearly far enough back into it's head to sufficiently express my sarcasm here...

Walksalot
01-19-2008, 07:09 PM
I have never heard for sure why alternating slugs and buckshot is advised but I highly suspect the buckshot is there to maybe slow the animal up or stun it momentarily to to enable the shooter to shoot the animal with a slug. A wide pattern followed by a slug.

Will
01-19-2008, 07:44 PM
I highly suspect the buckshot is there to maybe slow the animal up or stun it momentarily to to enable the shooter to shoot the animal with a slug. A wide pattern followed by a slug.
Well that supposedly the logic (misguided as it may be) but then why not just shoot to Kill the 1st time ???

You may only get 1 shot in a Real situation and I'd just as soon have that one be with a slug.;-)

GoatGuy
01-19-2008, 09:38 PM

I'd recommend against the buckshot - the CO's I know and have discussed with also don't use it.

Unless the bears broadside, showing you vitals, you'll have a tough time slowing them up.

freeman6
01-19-2008, 10:35 PM
I have spent a lot of time thinking about this one because I have lived in bear country and worked in the bush most of my life. Some people think I am a bear magnet and won't stay to close in case its true.

I qualify to carry a firearm with me in the bush every year for work, but I seldom bother. And its not because I haven't had the bad experiences. Firearms are just to heavy and awkward in the brushy conditions that allow you to get too close to critters before you can identify each other. Most of the time, I carry two cans of spray and yes I have practiced with spray as well. I have never had to use a can, but I backed up a long ways once and got into the truck on the wrong side because it seemed like the best idea, just because the blackie was upwind and I didn't want to blind myself with the drift.

If I have to leave game down in the bush and come back to it, I come back with my shoulder stocked 870, fully loaded with slugs. From qualifying experiences on the range, I know I can unload five slugs into the frontal area of the charging bear target and still have time to step out of the way before the target hits me. Best I can do with my bolt action 338 is three rounds.

My choice of using pepper spray for work may cost me big one of these days, but the loss of productivity associated with packing a firearm costs me every day. Its a choice I have made. There are times though, where the risks just seem to be so high that I do carry the 870 at work, but I have never had to use it either. So far, awareness of my surroundings, avoidance and having the ability to really pump up the volume of my voice has been all I needed.

But maybe you can be a bear magnet and lucky too!

Marc
01-19-2008, 11:24 PM
You guys are all a bunch of Babies !!!
http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/jpgs/tim_bear.jpg

Tim lived with some of the biggest Brown Bears NA can offer with nothing more then a Camera for years...:roll:

Actually this doesn't end good...........nevermind:redface:

That is just way to funny.

kgriz
01-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Check out my new thread called "general respose to bear protection" For info about obtaining a permit to carry a restricted weapon for protection from predatory animals in remote areas of BC. If you work in the bush you might be eligible.

hunter1947
01-20-2008, 06:14 AM
$50 thrown in the air(literally) ."Try it in the wind" -must have some kind of breathing & eye protection- If you must practice(I don't see any point) then get a WASP spray (good to 20 ft. & only a fraction of the cost)
Yes you are right ,i tried out this bear spray in the wind and without the wind ,i had a full face respirator and proper eye protection when i did this. I didn't know if the bear spray would reach out further then normal type of sprays ,so i had to see the difference ,i found out that the bear spray did reach out further then other sprays. This bear spray i used to find out how it worked was worth trying it out ,now i know what to expect if i have to use it.

hunter1947
01-20-2008, 06:21 AM
<IMO> (using buckshot in ANY combination)THERE IS NO LOGIC FOR IT! Blinding it etc....doesn't hold any water!At worst it will aggrevate it even more! (making it even harder to stop).SLUGS ONLY(non soft) is the answer.

Here is a part of an article!

Shotguns for Protection in the Field

Chuck Hawks

Unfortunately, it is not clear that a charge of buckshot is the best tool, or even advisable, for use on dangerous game. There are many reports of buckshot loads that failed to stop charging animals. Due to the very poor sectional density (SD) of buckshot pellets (a round ball has the worst SD of all common projectiles, roughly .102), their penetration is quite limited. Sectional density is important because, other things being equal, the higher the SD the greater the penetration of a projectile.
There have been a number of cases where buckshot failed to make it through the tough skin and muscles that protect the chest wall of a lion, tiger, and even a leopard. And a lion is maybe half the weight of your average grizzly bear, and about 1/4 the weight of a brown or polar bear. Leopards are about the weight of a human being!
Other drawbacks to buckshot include extremely limited range, and a very small pattern at short range. Many people mistakenly believe that a shotgun "sprays" a charge of buckshot over a wide arc, but this is not true.
I carry one slug ,one 000 buckshot then followed up with the same totaling 7 overall in the mag. Maybe i should go slugs for all in the magazine????.

Pre '64
01-20-2008, 06:50 AM
[quote=cbearw;230947] You guessed it......12 guage pump with a full stock. This is the standard issue firearm for bear protection for all the guys/gals that count salmon in bear country.

My cousin is a Federal Fisheries offcier and they carry the 12 ga pumps while doing salmon counts. He has killed a couple of blacks that wouldn't move. he also told me heknew one offcier who is kinda crazy cause he carrys a machete and runs at the bears while screaming at them. It's worked so far.

cbearw
01-20-2008, 03:35 PM
My cousin is a Federal Fisheries offcier and they carry the 12 ga pumps while doing salmon counts. He has killed a couple of blacks that wouldn't move. he also told me heknew one offcier who is kinda crazy cause he carrys a machete and runs at the bears while screaming at them. It's worked so far.[/quote]

Yes you are correct. That is the standard issue for a F.O. or Fisheries guardian/warden doing stream counts on bear infested creeks and rivers.
Charter Patrolmen hired by DFO have more leeway on what they pack but most pack a fully stocked 12guage which is in their hans all the time. (not strapped to their back) A few prefer to pack just bear spray but they would definitly be in the minority. You say your F.Officer friend killed a couple of blacks that wouldn't move? I am very glad I never have to walk creeks with anyone like that. Perhaps it would have been easier to come back another time to walk that piece of the creek or simply detour around the bears. Seems very extreme to me but hey I wasn't there mind you.
That FO fellow that runs at bears screaming with a machete:eek:I can see that working but I wouldn't recommend it.

curt
01-22-2008, 01:07 PM
if your in the bush a gun is a must unless of course you are in numbers then you may be ok but otherwise pack some iron buddy:biggrin: