PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a scope

Muleycatcher
01-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi, I am looking for a good quality scope for my .243 win.. I have a bushnell 3x9 on there now but the clarity is poor..looking to upgrade. I only use the rifle for coyotes and the odd deer..anyone have any suggestions on a good scope and power?

kloosterboer
01-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Id go with a leupold VxII 3-9x40mm Awesome scope for the price.

Ryan

Muleycatcher
01-12-2008, 09:17 PM
ya.. that's what i have on my 300wsm and it is awesome..just thought I would see what other guys are using/ prefer

wjh131
01-12-2008, 09:21 PM
If specifically for varmints, I'd go with a higher power, maybe a 5-15 or 6-18, heck even a 4-12 would work fine. Can't go wrong with a leupold. I kinda like the older redfileds myself. I've had some good and some not so good bushnells. Weaver is a good choice as well.

RMG
01-12-2008, 09:30 PM
The 3x9 is a good all around all purpose scope. Take a really good look at the Bushnell Elite 3200 and the 4200. They sell themselves, take the time, and do some research on some of the many optics forums. You too will agree, Leupold is decent, tends to be over priced, excellent service which is required as they break often. Too often in many opinions. Bushnell, a bit cheaper, optically very comparitable, service may not be as quick, but they dont break as much either.

For a .243 I would seriously look at a higher power scope, perhaps a Leapers, in a 6X24 power.

Muleycatcher
01-12-2008, 09:32 PM
thanks guys

krazy
01-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Excellent scope with the famous leuy lifetime coverage for a great price!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18163

tomahawk
01-13-2008, 12:38 AM
The 3x9 is a good all around all purpose scope. Take a really good look at the Bushnell Elite 3200 and the 4200. They sell themselves, take the time, and do some research on some of the many optics forums. You too will agree, Leupold is decent, tends to be over priced, excellent service which is required as they break often. Too often in many opinions. Bushnell, a bit cheaper, optically very comparitable, service may not be as quick, but they dont break as much either.

RMG, I have talked to 2 Gunsmiths and their view is the opposite to yours. They say their is very few Leupold troubles compared to Bushnell. They do say that Bushnell has got better lately but is still not as good as Leuplod. They say the bushnell is good optically except when it gets into low light in the outdoors where as that is where the leupold gives the better view. Where did you get your info?

6 K
01-13-2008, 12:49 AM
[quote=RMG;229295]The 3x9 is a good all around all purpose scope. Take a really good look at the Bushnell Elite 3200 and the 4200. They sell themselves, take the time, and do some research on some of the many optics forums. You too will agree, Leupold is decent, tends to be over priced, excellent service which is required as they break often. Too often in many opinions. Bushnell, a bit cheaper, optically very comparitable, service may not be as quick, but they dont break as much either.

Sorry but I gotta agree with Tomahawk on this one. Nothing I've seen in the field confirms what you have stated. In fact I know several guys to have sold what comes back from Bushnell after service, bought Leupold and never looked back.

Muleycatcher
01-13-2008, 11:29 AM
I already have a bushnell on the .243 and I am not pleased with the quality and clarity..I have a leupold on my 300wsm and the clarity is like night and day compared to the bushnell..I appreciate everyone's information..just gives me more options to check out

bushlover
01-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Depending on what type of shooting that you are planning to do. I have a zeiss 3.5 X 10 X50 ON A 25WSSM that I have. If you are looking for a bit more range I would recommend the 4.5 X 14 X 50 aswell in the zeiss. I have that scope on a 7mm stw and find both unbelievable in clarity and low light shooting.

Fisher-Dude
01-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Leupold VXII 3x9x40 is the hands-down winner compared to 3200 and 4200 Bushsmells. Even the point-of-impact is guaranteed dead on at all powers with the Leupy, where the Bushsmell is "close enough". Well, not close enough for me. :wink: The extra $100 is well worth not having your dream trip ruined by an imported POS.

Gunner
01-25-2008, 10:13 AM

For a .243 I would seriously look at a higher power scope, perhaps a Leapers, in a 6X24 power.You must have run into some bad scopes,since 1979 the only Leupold product I've had to send for service was the Gold Ring binos that my Lab chewed up!I've had well over a dozen different Leupold scopes since then,no problems with any of them!If you don't want to spend alot try the Rifleman 4X12,although I use a 3X9 Precision Rifle(3X9 VX-II with target turrets) on my coyote rig. Gunner

Mr. Dean
01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Maybe its my karma...

But I've had nothing but great results from Bushnell.
Even w/ their service depatment.

brotherjack
01-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Maybe its my karma...

But I've had nothing but great results from Bushnell.
Even w/ their service depatment.

Likewise. To boot, my experience with their service department turned out to be my fault in buying a scope with a very short parallax, the product was actually performing as advertised. Despite that, they went ahead and shipped me a brand new scope from the same line with a more appropriate parallax for a big game rifle, no charge. Customer service don't get no better than that, IMHO.

krazy
01-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Leupold is decent, tends to be over priced, excellent service which is required as they break often.

Weird... I've never had the need to use the warranty on any of the many leupold scopes that I've had over the years nor have I heard of any of my friends having to. I did however once send my leupold bino's in for service - I dropped them and they came out of alignment and I was fully expecting to pay for the repair - leupold covered it and sent me a brand new pair free of charge! IMO you will have to spend a lot more money to get noticable higher quailty optics with the same coverage and service..

boxhitch
01-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Had a 3200 on a .338 mag for oh about 300 rounds. wouldn't hesitate to have another.
don't compare older models with the 3200 or 4200. They are graeat for the price.
As for the 'once in a lifetime' crap, if its that important you'll have a spare and or a spare rifle.
and suspenders as well as a belt.

Muleycatcher
01-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Well I appreciate everyones info, but I have the leupold vari x II 3x9x40 on the 300wsm and may dad has the same on his, and he was telling my that is what he has hunted with on his 300 sav. since he was my age and it never steered him wrong and that is why he went with it on his 300 wsm..So I think I am going to stay true to the leupold brand..thanks guys