PDA

View Full Version : What type of bow should i get?

Island Blacktail
01-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Looking for advise on what type of bow to purchase. Want to get into archery for those urban monsters.

RMG
01-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Oh the choices, crossbow, compound, or stick bow??? Why not get one of each, then you dont have to decide anything, and better yet, you will never regret having bought a wrong bow. If there is such a critter as a wrong bow.

Cedarstrip
01-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Looking for advise on what type of bow to purchase. Want to get into archery for those urban monsters.
Welcome to the pointed stick fraternity.
Where are you located? If you have a local Fish & Wildlife club or archery group in your area, go hang out with them a bit and learn from their experience.
Here in Campbell river the F&W club has a great archery range complete with equipment, and the people there are more than willing to help you out. Last night there was one guy there, presumably new to archery, and he must have got to try out at least 1/2 dozen bows!
Decide what you want to do with the bow, and then go shopping. There's lots of slightly use equipment out there and you'll probably go through a couple as your skill develops and you decide on one you like.
Good luck and keep it fun.

Bow Walker
01-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Gitcher butt out there and try as many different ones as you can. Then decide whether it's Traditional, Compound, Crossbow, etc.

If you're anywhere near Bucky's Sports in Duncan, go in and see Richard. He'll let you actually shoot them.

01-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I recently bought a Browning Myst (compund bow). It had a pull of 60-70 lbs. and could fly anywhere from 305-313 fps. Due to some old shoulder injuries I had to sell it.

I really enjoyed it while I had it. The bow itself was light, easy to handle and man, did those sticks sail down range! great looking too.

I bought it at Boorman Archery in New West and would recommend them to anyone. 604-524-1674. They also have a good selection of recurves, long bows and crossbows. Great customer service. They sell some bows as a 'package' which is what i did.

If I could, I would use a compound. With any type of injury I would use a crossbow. I find using a compound bow adds a whole different strategy to the hunt. There is more movement performed on the hunters part, and sometimes you need to hold the draw.

With a crossbow, you can sit still, aim, shoot. There is also strategy to it but I don't find it as challenging. Personal opinion of course.

Sitkaspruce
01-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Island Blacktail

I am going to be selling my 05 Hoyt Vtec as my essetial tremour has now affected both my arms and back, so holding steady is now becoming more of a problem. It will come fully loaded, sights, rest, two releases, arrows, broadheads, hard case etc. It sucks to do it, but I owe it to the animal and myself not to wound something.

The big problem is that I am now on the island and the bow is back in the Fort, so it would not be available for a couple of months.

When I was looking to buy a bow, I researched a lot of sites on the web and visited a few shops to see what I liked and what fit me. I settled on a Hoyt because it fit me the best.

My suggestion would be to find some places and look at what they have to offer.

I am going to be looking into a crossbow now as I have been shooting a friends and I am much more accurate with it than with my bow.

Have fun

SS

Will
01-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Want to get into archery for those urban monsters.
Oh great another "last minute guy" to aggravate the ministry...........:-?
:wink::lol:

Get any Bow you want......but a Stick Bow is the Coolest:tongue:

The Hermit
01-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Take the IBEP course Feb 2 & 3 at the Vic Fish and Game Club $50 for the weekend and you can shoot a bunch of different bows while you learn the ropes, get some great practice on new 3-d targets from treestands, ground blinds etc! See the sticky on the bowhunting forum here on HBC

Chuck
01-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Take-down recurve with camo and backpack, good boots.
And you've got it made!

gitnadoix
01-13-2008, 11:24 AM
What ever one esle says go try a bunch to see what suits yer fancy the best,.......although I will add this.

I know lots of Compund shooters that dabbled in traditional and never went back to compunds....but I do not know any that have gone the other way.....could just be the crowd I know.....but something for thought.

sealevel
01-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I think the transition from rifle to pionty stick is made a lot easyer with a compound. I would start out compound a drift over to recurve later if you want.

Bigbear
01-13-2008, 01:18 PM
If you can got to as many dealers that are available to you, and request to shoot as many brands as you can. Don't over Bow your self (try to shoot to heavy a Poundage). From that you should be able to make a good choice. Buy the best Equipment you can afford, whether, Compound, or Traditional.

Brambles
01-13-2008, 01:38 PM
APA innovations:biggrin: made in Canada, Stupid Fast, Easy to shoot, made by hunters for hunters...
But in this case your going from NO BOW to a HOT ROD, so you might not be able to control your jaw as it drops the floor afther shooting one of these bows:D

Will
01-13-2008, 01:54 PM
It really leans on what your interests in Archery and expectations are ?

For me I have almost NO interest in ultralight arrows, wheelie bows, sights and release gizmos etc....nothing wrong with them they are just not my bag :smile:

Sometimes the greatest joy is found with the simplest of things...:wink:

The Hermit
01-13-2008, 09:50 PM
As a new bowhunter with one season using a compound bow (one bear and one WT success) I can tell you two things...

Using a compound is simple and deadly accurate with ten minutes of shooting AT TARGETS.

Carrying the damed thing thru the brush and worrying about and eventually snapping the fiber optic sites and the peep site elastic thingy, and farting around with the sights all week was a drag. The difference in weight between the compound and trad bows and carefree use is enough to make me switch this year. In the hunt for a trad bow now..

Will
01-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Carrying the damed thing thru the brush and worrying about and eventually snapping the fiber optic sites and the peep site elastic thingy, and farting around with the sights all week was a drag. The difference in weight between the compound and trad bows and carefree use is enough to make me switch this year. In the hunt for a trad bow now..
True words...I was in the "arms race" with Rifles for a long time...still am to some degree(better scopes better mounts, better bullets better better better.....)
I decided to go back to basics and hopefully Restore some of my Passion for the Hunting experience.......definately did not want to get caught up in the "arms race" with Bows, I felt this would be detrimental to my pursuit of happyness :wink:

Of course I'd Love a Tomahawk TD Woodland hunter though.......:biggrin:

humble hunter
01-13-2008, 11:01 PM
I agree with some of the previous posts, I would take a course and learn how to shoot a bow properly (and then buy a hoyt lol). A few years back I thought I was the king bow shooter but I could not figure out why I would always have my sights cranked as far right as they would go. I went into Boormans shop to buy a new bow as I thought the bow was shot. He asked me to shoot for him in his range. I was then told to take his course or he would not sell me a new bow. 2 old ladies teach the course and stripped me of all my bad habits and now I am comfortable out to 50 yards and my sights are where they should be. Once again knocked off my high horse and humbled. Not the first time and certainly not the last.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Oddly enough I am in the same boat as you are right now ... Looking for a new bow .... I have the choices narrowed down to a few (compound bows) as I have a recurve, I am making a stick ... and I still have my hunting Compound .....

choics for me are as follows:
Hoyt Katera XL
APA Black Mamba XL
Bowtech 101st

those are my shortlist .... I tried many others but for one reason or another I just didnt like em....

each time I buy a new bow I try out probally 30-50 models to find the one that fits me ... look at how it feels in your hand ...whether or not you like the draw cycle ... overall weight ... you can add probally another 4.5-6 pounds fully dressed from bare...

the best peice of advice I can offer up is try em all .... and no matter what bow you choose ... get out and practice before the hunt ... take in some 3D this spring and summer

pupper
01-13-2008, 11:20 PM
If you are just starting out, look for a package deal of combo deal for $500, practise, get good. Then once you shoot better than your equipment allows, upgrade.

Bow Walker
01-14-2008, 10:08 AM
.... I went into Boormans shop to buy a new bow as I thought the bow was shot. He asked me to shoot for him in his range. I was then told to take his course or he would not sell me a new bow. 2 old ladies teach the course and stripped me of all my bad habits ....
Those "2 old ladies" (one is Muriel, and I forget the other's name) have a combined experience total of more years than I hope to be alive. Yes, I took the same course more than 8 years ago now - boy time flies when you don't pay attention.

Come to think of it I believe that the other lady is Chuck's wife. That was my formal introduction to the sport of archery and the re-kindling of a passion that has yet to fade - nor will it.

Great pair of ambassadors for Archery.

humble hunter
01-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Those "2 old ladies" (one is Muriel, and I forget the other's name) have a combined experience total of more years than I hope to be alive. Yes, I took the same course more than 8 years ago now - boy time flies when you don't pay attention.

Come to think of it I believe that the other lady is Chuck's wife. That was my formal introduction to the sport of archery and the re-kindling of a passion that has yet to fade - nor will it.

Great pair of ambassadors for Archery.

I meant the term "old ladies" with the deepest respect. They were very patient with me and my large head but loved every minute of cutting me down to size. I especially loved it when they took a 60 lb bow and pulled it back and fired on target when half of the class could not even pull the bow back.

wsm
01-14-2008, 08:34 PM
long axle to axle and a large brace height.

Bow Walker
01-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I meant the term "old ladies" with the deepest respect. They were very patient with me and my large head but loved every minute of cutting me down to size. I especially loved it when they took a 60 lb bow and pulled it back and fired on target when half of the class could not even pull the bow back.
HH, that's the way I read it. They were, and you now confirm, are still goin' strong.

:lol: It's funny to see someone bigger and stronger take your bow and struggle just to draw it - most often failing to do so. Then you take it back from them and pull it back smooth and easy. The look on their faces is definitely worth a chuckle.