PDA

View Full Version : What backpack tents are you guys using?

Ramshot
01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Gonna get myself a tent for backpacking. What are you guys using and finding works well? Am weight conscious and would like something that doesn't leak! Asked Stone Sheep Steve what he thought and he said just get a tarp and wrap yourself in it like a burrito and go to sleep:confused:. Made a lean to shelter with the big Silicone tarp 10x12 on a stone sheep hunt up Tuchodi a few years back. If we had gotten a downpour we would have been screwed! Thanks for any thoughts on a good backpack tent. Just teasin SSS:smile:.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Gonna get myself a tent for backpacking. What are you guys using and finding works well? Am weight conscious and would like something that doesn't leak! Asked Stone Sheep Steve what he thought and he said just get a tarp and wrap yourself in it like a burrito and go to sleep:confused:. Made a lean to shelter with the big Silicone tarp 10x12 on a stone sheep hunt up Tuchodi a few years back. If we had gotten a downpour we would have been screwed! Thanks for any thoughts on a good backpack tent. Just teasin SSS:smile:.

Just pick a new partner with a nice tent. Waaaaaay cheaper that way;-). (and make him pack it:grin:)

SSS

Orangethunder
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Buy a gore tex bivy, US army surplus and use that. Or the siltarp works too. Those are the best for weight in my opinion. Or the Big Agnes Seedhouse is a pretty sweet tent. For a bit more weight and less money the MEC Tarn 2 is a solid tent.

Kechika
01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Big Anges Seed house
http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tent_series.php?cid=8&PHPSESSID=272360eb93b47a55c1f58c4332a6a973

BlacktailStalker
01-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I have a north face mountain 25. It doesnt leak.
http://mtgears.stores.yahoo.net/nofaam3534ex.html
Its a 4 season kick ass tent, but it could be about 3 lbs lighter.
The weight comes from the fly, weighs more than the tent itself.
I took off all the uneccessary guide ropes all over the tent and fly to shave a bit of weight.
I'd go with a top end 3 season, around 4 lbs.

Ramshot
01-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Just pick a new partner with a nice tent. Waaaaaay cheaper that way;-). (and make him pack it:grin:)

SSS
SSS,
Did ya wanna go stone sheep huntin this year:wink:. Ramshot.

bighornbob
01-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Big Anges Seed house
http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tent_series.php?cid=8&PHPSESSID=272360eb93b47a55c1f58c4332a6a973

I will second what Kechika has stated. Him and Bruno375 put the idea into my head at last years wild sheep society weekend. I picked one up and quite pleased with it. Super light

BHB

Ramshot
01-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Big Anges Seed house

Were could I buy one? Thanks,Ramshot.

daycort
01-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Ramshot,

I lend you my tent if you want. Oh by the way I have to acompany my tent where ever it goes for warranty issues. But don't worry I will pack it every third day:lol:.

PS: 2 more dogs down.

bighornbob
01-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I bought mine last summer at REI in Spokane. When I got there I was still really wanting to see one in person and check it out. I was pleasantly surprised to see it was 33% off that weekend. :eek: and with the reviews from a few guys, i went right to the till. Oh and mountain house food is $4.75 there.

BHB

pitbell
01-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm a Mountain Hardwear Fan. I own the Hammerhead3, the Kiva, and the Airjet2.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/

BCrams
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Interesting tent!! Definatly lightweight.

Currently, I'd be hard pressed to move away from Mountain Hardwear tents. I own the Approach with no disapointments on sheep trips so far. There is another Hardwear model I would get if I had to replace this one though.

daycort
01-11-2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45327_350001001_350000000_350001000_350-1-1

This is what I use. I don't mind it at all. I don't get wet anyway.

MattB
01-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Big agnes has a new model out, i think its the emerald. I believe it won some gear of the year award...looks like a nice tent! Cant forget these though if you have trees around...www.hennessyhammock.com.

Flinch
01-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I bought myself a Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT this year. If you want room and light weight there is nothing on the market comparable. I like room because you can live and wait out a storm for days if you have room (I had to spend alot of time waiting out weather on this years sheep hunt). A bivy or very small tent sucks if you have to spend a day or two in your tent, even if you set up a light tarp. The Nallo GT has a huge vestibule (lots of room for cooking and your packs and more) and lots of room in the tent itself. The 4-man version is definitely comfortable for 3 people and comes in under 7 lbs. Very high quality workmanship.

Drawbacks that I found are that it is not a free-standing tent, meaning that you have to have guy-lines around the tent which can be a tripping issue. It takes a bit of experience to know how tight to make the guy-lines to get the whole thing taut. There are stronger tents out there, but I had no issues with 4" of wet snow-load and very strong winds. They are expensive.

springpin
01-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I have a Sierra Designs Orion 3..love it. Had it in some really high winds and had no prob, no leaks.

BlacktailStalker
01-11-2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.litebackpacker.com/ultralite-tents/index.html

Great tent link.

Fosey
01-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a Mountain Hardware tent also and it is good. I would make sure your tent has a fly with a vestibule, you can keep your pack there and the snow and rain does't blow in when you open the zippers. Make sure the Zippers are good quality and work easily for those early mornings. The fly is really important and must not touch the tent. Good poles with some type of repair kit is essential. A three season tent is good enough for sheep hunting and make sure you have lots of screens for ventilation. Set the tent up at the store and get in and try it out. With every piece of equipment I have I started cheap and ended up with the good expensive stuff in the end so the moral is buy good quality and it will last you for along time.

srupp
01-11-2008, 08:10 PM
mountain hardware..here also..BOMBPROOF....absolutley waterproof..windproof...I love it..

now just to find that cranker stone ram

Steven

Ronne
01-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm a big MSR (Mountain Safety Research) fan. I've been using their Hubba Hubba model and can't say enough good things about it. Extremely light weight, roomy and will stand up to the worst weather. The weight savings with this tent allows me to take a little extra gear I would normally leave at home.

http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/
http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/hubbahubba.asp

kutenay
01-11-2008, 09:04 PM
www.hilleberg.com (http://www.hilleberg.com), these are the BEST tents I have owned, used or even seen in 44 years of serious backcountry trekking and working in the industry as well. I also suggest Integral Designs singlewall tents and the MSR Fusion is a good mountain tent.

For BC mountain uses, I really do not trust "3 season" tents and buy ID and Hilleberg exclusively plus Kifaru tipis. You get EXACTLY what you pay for in backpacking gear and this is one place where buying the best is money well spent.

For a serious tent, I want freestanding, look at the new Hille. Allak or the Jannu, I am getting a Soulu and have a Saivo basecamp tent that is so far beyond my older North Faces, Fjallravens, Gerrys, Early Winters, Blacks, Bibler and so on that there is no comparison.

I buy ID stuff from Mountain Magic in Surrey and tents from www.bearriveroutfitters.org (http://www.bearriveroutfitters.org) in Utah, a really great couple of hunting-friendly dealers. Check these out, once you have a Hilleberg, you will never want anything else.

kennyj
01-11-2008, 09:28 PM
I've used a Eureka Timberline for the last 17 years (wow time flies).Its been an awesome tent,withstanding strong winds and lots of snow.Great design with no condensation on the inside and a good vestibule.Its pretty worn and faded now but still works.I guess I'll be in the market for a new tent soon as well.
Ken.

Brambles
01-11-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a sierra designs Electron, good size for a 2 man, plus 2 big vestiblues and a few other cool features that make life easier. Its also respectable for weight, not an ultralite but its pretty good..

Krico
01-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Since my tent seems to have disappeared:mad:, I too have been doing a little tent research. Narrowed down my choices to the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 and the MSR Hubba Hubba. The Big Agnes wins in the weight department, the MSR has a double vestibule which would be nice. Decisions, decisions...

BigSlapper
01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
I use the MEC Gothic Arch 2 man 4 season tent. About 6.5 lbs. Outstanding in all conditions so far.

bigwhiteys
01-12-2008, 12:10 AM
For BC mountain uses, I really do not trust "3 season" tents and buy ID and Hilleberg exclusively plus Kifaru tipis. You get EXACTLY what you pay for in backpacking gear and this is one place where buying the best is money well spent.

I went with the Integral Designs MK III for my backpack tent... 4 season single wall tent... Incredibly dry, bomb proof and easy setup... just over 5 lbs. Only problem is you can't buy them in Canada and they aren't cheap!!! $700 for a two man.

Carl

Tarp Man
01-12-2008, 12:36 AM
I have a North Face two man, which is perfect for one hunter and gear. Lapadat and I use a MEC Tarn 3 which is the smallest I would want to go for space. One thing to consider is the number of doors. The extra zippers for the second door on the tent body and vestibule do add weight, but add a large amount of convenience with two hunters and their gear. Also makes midnight wizz runs much easier!

I have been drooling over the Marmot Aeolos 3man. It weighs 7lbs, but gives lots of space. It has also gotten solid reviews in tests. The one recurring issue with the superlight MSR tents is the durability of the floor. MEC (that much maligned hippy hold-out) recommends that you add the extra weight of a tent footprint to preserve the floor (they are ever concerned with keeping their latte-sipping, tree-hugging, spike-driving clientele from soaking the forest floor into their ultralight down coccoon). Light may not be always the best. One other source for good reviews is www.backpacker.com (http://www.backpacker.com) . Their gear reviews are pretty hardcore ie. tested in the wilds of Alaska and downpour of New Zealand.

hunter1947
01-12-2008, 05:14 AM
I use a small tarp ,i put a pole across two tress about 4 feet hi and tie the pole to the two tress ,then pull it over the top and tie it down ,i find a few rocks to tie down the ends if there are no branches to tie the bottoms to ,works great for me and my partner. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-12-2008, 08:38 AM
I use a small tarp ,i put a pole across two tress about 4 feet hi and tie the pole to the two tress ,then pull it over the top and tie it down ,i find a few rocks to tie down the ends if there are no branches to tie the bottoms to ,works great for me and my partner. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

I like the old school of thought.
All my Dad ever used was a clear sheet of poly, 4 marbles and some good braided string.......K.I.S.S. :smile:

Of course I wouldn't be caught dead doing that. I'm waaaaaaay too much of a pussy!!:oops:

SSS

kutenay
01-12-2008, 09:05 AM
For very good prices-service on Integral and Hilleberg tents, the url in Utah I gave is an outstanding source.

I don't care much for MEC gear, been a member for 37+ years and used a lot of it; things are better now than before and some of their stuff is good.

For those with budget concerns, like trying to feed a family, the Exped Venus II or III is available at MEC and Mountain Magic, it is highly praised by guys whose experienced-based opinions I trust and some senior MEC staff ARE among these, since they have climbed in the Himalayas, Hindu Kush, Patagonia, etc. I would seriously consider this tent as a two-hunter rig and carry bivies and siltarps as siwash camps.

I always prefer to tarp camp when I can, but, a week or two in bugs, wind, rain, sleet and even harsh alpine sun REALLY makes a tent worthwhile.

There are MANY good tents available today, but, there are a couple brands which ARE superior and Bigwhitey's choice is a wise one; nobody makes better gear than Integral and their prices are fair in terms of quality.

Islandeer
01-12-2008, 10:09 AM
My son has a TGV 4 season from MEC that we have been using on snowshowing trips this winter in the back country at the north end of Cowichan Lake. For under 300. it has proven itself. we have woken to big dumps of snow(2-2.5 ft) several times this season with no worries. It's good kit.

444marlin
01-12-2008, 10:31 AM
There are a few references to MEC in the replies. They make no bones about supporting anti hunting groups. I will never again purchase outdoor gear from Mountain Equipment.

GoatGuy
01-12-2008, 11:28 AM
I like the old school of thought.
All my Dad ever used was a clear sheet of poly, 4 marbles and some good braided string.......K.I.S.S. :smile:

SSS

That's the way to do 'er. It doesn't rain in the west kootenays does it?

tuchodi
01-12-2008, 11:29 AM
I agre with kutney. I have the Hilleberg Katium 2 and it has been great. One of the best space for the weight tents that I was able to find. Has withstood a couple of terrible storms.

Nimrod
01-13-2008, 08:19 AM
This is an MEC snowfield , I've had it for 16 years and it's still going. if you don't mind the weight 3.6 kg , it's a great 2 person tent. vestibule and entry on both ends. with plenty of room in the vestibules to cook if your tent bound for days. Been in some nuclear storms that I'm sure would have shredded a 3 season light weight. But also been on many trips when carrying it on my back I wished I had the light weight tent. Was thinking on retiring it this year, so hard to find a replacement that's lighter.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/Even-tide/Picture231A.jpg

Deaddog
01-13-2008, 08:52 AM
sierra designs, four season tent, heavy but absolutely bombproof, however for early season hunts I believe some of the other lighter tents are the way to go.

tuchodi
01-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Nimrod: You should send MEC that picture and show them what real people do with their tents. Maybe it would be on the next cover of their magazine. Nice Photo

Goathunter
01-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey Ramshot. Don't like my Mountain Hardwear any more? I even pack it for you!

Poguebilt
01-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Big agnes has a new model out, i think its the emerald. I believe it won some gear of the year award...looks like a nice tent! Cant forget these though if you have trees around...www.hennessyhammock.com (http://www.hennessyhammock.com).

I own one and have used it a few times... nice and light and pretty comfy...

took a bit to master getting into my sleeping bag!

its nicer than sleeping on the ground...

troutseeker
02-15-2008, 12:56 AM
I just bought a Eureak Zeus 2. It seems to be a decent balance of cost, weight and is roomy if going alone and you can sleep two in it. That and a Siltarp ought to keep me warm and dry, I hope...

Troutseeker

KevinB
02-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I own one and have used it a few times... nice and light and pretty comfy...

took a bit to master getting into my sleeping bag!

its nicer than sleeping on the ground...

I tried a buddy's a few years ago, I thought it was very comfortable, if a bit fiddly, and a great idea. But I did find that I got cold very easily in my down bag...maybe I had it rigged wrong, but when laying in it, I found that it kinda wrapped around me, tightly enough that it compressed the sleeping bag to about 1/2" thick around about 75% of my body. I Also tried it with a cheap synthetic bag, wouldn't you know, I slept warmer since the thing wasn't very compressible. The other trouble as finding trees some of the time...

KevinB
02-15-2008, 09:16 AM
I have used a few different shelters, I have an ID bivy (I think it is the Unishelter?) that is very well made, but, I found that I wanted to pack a small tarp as well to put over my head for when the sleet was coming down hard:oops:, and I found myself wishing for a light 3-season tent for an extra pound or 2 between 2 guys...I think solo hunting and it would be much more practical. Nice piece of gear for sure.

I have also used a north face 3-season tent, I think it is the roadrunner or somethiong, it is fairly light, has 2 doors and 2 decent vestibules. I would never buy a single door 2 person tent again after being spoiled with 2 doors/vestibules. it is okay, it has a few disign flaws but all in all it has been a pretty good tent, and it has withstood some severe storms/winds without apparent damage, even though it's particular design isn't particularly wind resistant. I'm not always a fan of NF gear, but, this one had the combo of features/weight/price that we were looking for in a backpacking tent (that's it's usual use, not hunting).

Marc
02-15-2008, 09:59 AM
I picked up the Kelty Gunnision last fall but haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/img/products/Gunnison2.1.jpghttp://www.kelty.com/kelty/img/products/Gunnison2Height.jpghttp://www.kelty.com/kelty/img/products/Gunnison2.1_Fly.jpg

KevinB
02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
I think you'll like having 2 doors Marc, one for your stuff, and the other to glass from when it's pissing rain!

BCrams
02-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Marc - you'll like the Kelty tent. Performed really well in the mountains while working.

srupp
02-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I was reading that Mountain hardware has a NEW lightweight packer tent..2#8 oz...and thats a complete tent absolutley waterproof and the folding of it apparantly miniscule...fwiw..

Steven

twoSevenO
02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
I was reading that Mountain hardware has a NEW lightweight packer tent..2#8 oz...and thats a complete tent absolutley waterproof and the folding of it apparantly miniscule...fwiw..

Steven

"If you ever buy anything from Mountain Hardwear, be sure it's one of our tents" are the words of a Mountain Hardwear rep to me while i was working in retail. I am a firm believer in their tents all the way!

About the post from srupp .... beware of those single wall tents though, they can tend to have moisture problems if you don't vent them properly which can be a b!tch to deal with and can get pretty damn hot in the summer, as there is no mesh on them.... just my 0.02 on those.

but in any case, you can't go wrong with MH .... i know i don't regret buying mine :)

pupper
02-15-2008, 07:39 PM
get an outdoor research bivy sac or a sierra designs tent

Kody94
02-15-2008, 08:19 PM
90% of the time I prefer a simple tarp, but in buggy areas or for bad weather/late season hunting I've been using a Eureka Mountain Pass 2XT for years. Its held up great. I covet more expensive, fancier and lighter tents, but haven't been able to justify the $$ yet.

Cheers
4Ster

troutseeker
07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Well there was a Marmot Peapod 2 man tent in a local for sale web site. $75 and I bought it. It is double wall and 6 1/2 pounds, but quite roomy. I figure it will do well for my kid's school hiking trip, and I can use it too. Plus the price was right, this tent is like new.

It's 7 years old I was told, anyone know's anything about it?

Troutseeker

hunter1947
07-03-2008, 07:33 AM
The old tarp trick for me :smile:.

Just find a pole and a couple close tress then tie the pole about 4 feet up from the bottom on both sides.

Then lay the tarp over the pole and anchor the tarp at the one end ,tie the tarp to the pole ,let the sides lay down to cover the ends in your set to sleep etc.

Gateholio
07-03-2008, 09:00 AM
I picked up a North Face tent the other day

http://www2.thenorthface.com/media/gear/catalog/AT1K/AT1K-1W3_mag.jpg

It's about 3lb, 14 oz

I figure it should do as a light 3 season tent. It will work well to compliment my other tents. First tiem I've used a singel wall tent (other than a wall tent) but it seems like it is adequately vented.

Price was rigth, too:wink:

BCbillies
07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
My new Hilleberg Katium 3 should be arriving any day. Four season, double vestibule, 3 person tent that weighs in at 6 lbs 10 oz. Should get plenty of use this year! :smile:

http://estore.websitepros.com/stores/1764795/catalog/06KaitumGrn-Shdw-6Lng-72thumb.jpg (http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-154/3-person-tent%2C-all-dsh-season/Detail.bok)

budismyhorse
07-03-2008, 01:44 PM
I just picked up a new MSR Hubba Hubba HP 2 person. It is new for this year and is rate a 3+ season, meaning it has less mesh than most 3 season tents keeping more moisture and wind out of your sleeping area. other than that it is a 3 season.

3.9 lbs and packs down to nothing.

if I didn't buy binos this year, I'd have looked harder into the Hillebergs (they look sweet), not much left in the coffers for this year and the MSR tent is as good as I'll ever need.

riflebuilder
07-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I have been looking at the Mountain Hardware but the Hubba looks good too. I think that I want the 2 door and vestibule option. I was woundering if anyone knows a good place to go buy one in the EK or Calgary and don't sugest MEC.

okanagan
07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
My new Hilleberg Katium 3 should be arriving any day. Four season, double vestibule, 3 person tent that weighs in at 6 lbs 10 oz. Should get plenty of use this year! :smile:

http://estore.websitepros.com/stores/1764795/catalog/06KaitumGrn-Shdw-6Lng-72thumb.jpg (http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-154/3-person-tent%2C-all-dsh-season/Detail.bok)

I am a Hilleberg fan as well and own the nallo 3

http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-75/Nallo-3/Detail.bok

3 person 5 lb 4 season tent with enough room in vestibule for packs and such..

BCrams
07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Tent? Who needs a tent! Tarp and a bit of creativity.

BCbillies
07-03-2008, 04:58 PM
I am a Hilleberg fan as well and own the nallo 3

http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-75/Nallo-3/Detail.bok

3 person 5 lb 4 season tent with enough room in vestibule for packs and such..

I was originally thinking the Nallo 3 for the weight (and cost) reduction but Charlie at Bear River Outfitters suggested that given where I live and what I do the Kaitum 3 would be better suited primarily for the better venting. I like the double vestibule so while I'm caping my ram under cover my buddies can use the other door! :wink:

BCrams
07-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Mountain Hardware. Basically pitch anywhere. Very wind resistant as evident from a couple high ridge camps where I thought for sure the tent would be gone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/0237989-R1-043-20.jpg

BCbillies
07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Mountain Hardware. Basically pitch anywhere. Very wind resistant as evident from a couple high ridge camps where I thought for sure the tent would be gone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/0237989-R1-043-20.jpg

Looks like a spot where you get up in the middle of the night for a leak, stumble in the high winds, take a few extra steps and never find your way back! :eek: Tent would still be there but the hunter is nowhere to be found. A real bummer to miss opening day!

steelheadSABO
07-04-2008, 05:24 PM
if you go to walmart they have a small tent made by ozark trail for 20$ got one and it is so light folds down and fits into a backpack ive used it in pouring rain doesnt leek abit used it on a windy weekend in lillooet and it stayed on the ground.great tent

scembalf
07-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I bought an msr 1 man hubba tent it is perfect for one person never been wet and it has a great vestibule on it for storage and cooking sets up easy and I have been out in it when the wind was bending the trees

dana
07-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Thus far I'm loving my Kifaru 6 man tipi. Can't wait to get in the highcountry with it this summer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/May19098a.jpg

boxhitch
07-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Dana, do you rig the TP with an awning of some sort ? That door looks like quite the funnel when raining.

ruttinbuck
07-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I picked up a MSR twin peaks floorless tent.Enough room for two guys makes lots of room for me and my gear.
Anybody have first hand experience with this tent?
I figure at worst I have to trench around it to keep the rain from seeping under the wall,and guyline each peak against the wind.Still under 2lbs complete.RB

dana
07-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Dana, do you rig the TP with an awning of some sort ? That door looks like quite the funnel when raining.

The door is open in that pic. Zipped shut it becomes part of the cone wall. The cone shape has proven very wind resistant in the worst of weather. They have used it even on Everest. Backpacker magazine rates it as one of the best backpacking tents ever made. Water has nowhere to sit and soak through. Because of the cone shape, water is repelled evenly. There is no one spot that collects water.

Ambush
07-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the pics Dana. Got me interested. I went to their website and found what might be [for me] the ultimate light shelter. The Parahooch. 11 ozs and could hold two hunters easily.

lineofsight
07-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Am happy with my Hammerhead II from Mountain Hardware - 3 season. Plenty of room for two, doors & vestibules on both sides, lots of ventilation and light (and its a lovely mint green and grape purple... current ones are blue and grey).

For a four season Taiga has a couple reasonable options (forget the name of mine but it been through a lot).

boxhitch
07-05-2008, 10:11 PM
The door is open in that pic. Zipped shut it becomes part of the cone wall.
Thats all OK if you don't have to use the door while it is raining.
Even old Indian tipis had a flap.
Not being critical, I have never seen a Paratipi in use.

dana
07-06-2008, 08:48 AM
I don't normally make it a habit to leave the door open during a heavy rainstorm for extended lengths of time on any tent. ;) The joy of this tent is all the cooking is done inside where it is nice and warm and dry. If you do need to open the door during a rainstorm, the woodstove will dry up the drops in no time. They have tested it in extreme weather. -40 outside but +100 inside. :)

Marc
09-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Finally had the chance to try out my back pack tent and some of the other backpacking stuff I've picked up but haven't had the chance to use because of my knee.

We were hunting up in the mountains on the island looking for bears/deer, grouse. It was a fairly warm weekend with 8-10 degree nights. We set up camp near a river and had heavy due overnight. It was amazingly warm in the tent with two people and the ventilation kept the humidity out of the tent, if you touched the walls they were dry. We were two men sleeping in the tent and to my surprise there was ample room, I don't recall bumping my hunting buddy at all over two nights sleeping head to toe.

I kept the dog in the back of the truck in his kennel with his dog bed, we didn't have room for 2 men and the dog in the tent and the truck box had screens so it kept him out of the bugs and he was happy in there.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_next_to_tent.JPG

Tikka7mm
09-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Buy a gore tex bivy, US army surplus and use that. Or the siltarp works too. Those are the best for weight in my opinion. Or the Big Agnes Seedhouse is a pretty sweet tent. For a bit more weight and less money the MEC Tarn 2 is a solid tent.

Orangethunder - I'm glad to hear you say that the MEC Tarn 2 is a good tent. I just bought one. I haven't tried it out yet but I am looking forward to it.

rifleman
09-08-2008, 08:15 PM
my vote for a mountain hardware hammerhead 2. 2 doors 2vestubles 2 people. light enough to pack in for sheep

srupp
09-13-2008, 12:27 PM
had 100 kph winds and rain MOUNTAIN HARDWEAR helios 2 was awesome..

Steven

bruin
09-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Right now its a North Face but I'll soon be getting a Hilberg single man.

MidnightRun
09-13-2008, 09:08 PM
I just picked up a Sierra Designs Electron RC2, thanks to the sale at Valhalla Pure today (20% off on tents). Hopefully it holds up ok.

shantz
09-15-2008, 09:59 AM
my vote for a mountain hardware hammerhead 2. 2 doors 2vestubles 2 people. light enough to pack in for sheep

I have a mountain hardware hammerhead 2 and i love it. Had it for about 1.5 years and put it though its paces between wet fall trips and cold snowy winter hikes. 2 vestibules and doors is a must.