PDA

View Full Version : Checkmate Bows

The Hermit
01-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I want to buy a Checkmate TD Hunter11. Can anyone point me to a website that shows me the different options, materials, colors, lengths etc.

Also can anyone put me in touch with the guy that makes them?

I plan to hunt deer, elk, and bear in BC and ALTA with this bow. Your advice and considered opinion also welcome on the following questions I have...

1) What is the best wood for the limbs?

2) I am 5"10" tall, and have a draw length of 28 1/2 inches. How long should the bow be?

3) I'm thinking the draw weight should be around 60lb. Reasonable?

4) What else should I consider that I am missing here?

Thanks

BowSitter
01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I want to buy a Checkmate TD Hunter11. Can anyone point me to a website that shows me the different options, materials, colors, lengths etc.

Also can anyone put me in touch with the guy that makes them?

I plan to hunt deer, elk, and bear in BC and ALTA with this bow. Your advice and considered opinion also welcome on the following questions I have...

1) What is the best wood for the limbs?

2) I am 5"10" tall, and have a draw length of 28 1/2 inches. How long should the bow be?

3) I'm thinking the draw weight should be around 60lb. Reasonable?

4) What else should I consider that I am missing here?

Thanks

The Wheels and Cams!! :pLOL just kidding, I would like a recurve to play with as well.

RMG
01-10-2008, 06:48 PM
http://www.recurves.com/

http://www.oldbow.com/chekmate_archery_index.htm

Chek Mate??? Same thing??

newhunterette
01-10-2008, 07:04 PM
http://gametrailarchery.com/2.html

located in Williams Lake

timberhunter
01-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Back to the Hermit

Next time you are at one of our shoots remind me and I will introduce you to Marc. He is checkmate :tongue:, and he usually comes to most of our shoots. He does get bombarded most times with questions and people looking for bows.

Marc

Will
01-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I went with the Hickory limbs......Zebrawood & Bubinga Riser.
No particular reason...just liked the look !

Takedown Prohunter II (48lbs) :cool:
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/BowStuff/IMG_2330.JPG

J_T
01-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Hermit, For god sake man. You spent last elk season around 12 guys that all shoot Chekmates, most are Take Down Hunter Recurves. You were of the few that shot a wheel bow. You didn't take a look?

Marc Moriez is the manufacturer. Send Onesock an email or PM. WindFeather Archery Traditions has the best selection of bows.

Yew limbs should be the best. They look nice, but I don't notice much difference between my Bro's (yew limb) bow and mine (maple)

The bow Will has provided a pic of is pretty, but they are all pretty. You won't be dissappointed. Marc does amazing work.

Better yet, join the TBBC. Each membership is entered in the draw for a checkmate bow. (I won two years ago)

Come to the TBBC Provincial Championships in Keremeos on the long weekend of may. Of 150 participants there are about 10 that shoot their own bows or bows that Marc didn't make.

Hey, I'm in the office (Vic) tomorrow aft. Come over.

Length. 62"
Weight. I shoot a 64 pound. 28 inch draw. I also have a #55 (it's the prettier bow but i don't shoot it much) they both shoot the arrow at 198 fps. I shoot a 640 grain carbon for hunting. Large feathers. 2 blade Journeyman 145 gr.

You need a Selway limb quiver.

You will need some judo points for birds.

Talk to Monty at Windfeather. 426-8565. He has the package, all figured out. You know he does.

gitnadoix
01-11-2008, 08:59 AM
And dont overlook the longbows made by Mark either....I have 4 of em and am looking for a 5th....I need a take down Crusader to round out the collection....ok maybe 2 of em...one for the wife

Onesock
01-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Bill Bill Bill... I told you what to get in an e-mail I sent you. If you want to shoot it this year ya better get your a$$ in gear. I think 60 might be too heavy for you to start. I would start withh 55 lbs at 28inches. I don't know if you will draw 28 1/2 with a stick bow either. I have a recurve at home if you want to try it out at a shoot I will bring it for you. Let me know.

greybark
01-11-2008, 12:25 PM
:wink: Hermit , You are well advised with this group and can give me a call if yoy wish . 604 824 1493.
Cheers

Coyote
01-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Herm send me a pm and I can get you the details.

Marc will tell you that there was a time when a lot of guys were buying 60 lb stickbows but folks are downsizing a bit. 50-55 lb with good shot placement and the right arrow/ broadhead combination will down anything in North America. If this is your first trad bow I'd lean closer to 50 than 60 lb.

Chek Mate is a damn good choice by the way.

'yote

sealevel
01-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I to am looking to buy a recurve . but i am going to take my time chooseing one . in the meantime i will learn to shoot with a 37 lber . when i can shoot it real good i will buy a 50 lb... maybe a chekmate

Monashee
01-20-2008, 01:57 PM
After WW2 people started having more spare time and money for important things like ... HUNTING. Archery of different types started taking off in the US and to a lesser extent in Canada. One type of archery was field archery which involved shooting at different targets outside. That is when bowhunting started taking off as well. Fish and Game agencies started taking an interest in bowhunting and needed to set standards. Penetration tests were done on deer carcasses with 40 lb @ 28 " draw, or within the archers draw length giving good results. So bows in the low 40 pound range became common for both field archery and hunting. You don't need a 50 pound pull bow for deer elk or even moose. With the right arrow and a hit in the lungs 40 # will do at 20-25 yards. This is when shooting a recurve bow with a 2 blade broadhead of 400 grain at 150fps.

Personally I have taken 3 deer with a 50# Chekmate recurve made in 1976. For deer though a 40# bow is enough and if I happened to have a moose tag and a moose presented itself broadside at 20 yards , yes I'd take the shot with a 40 # bow. Traditional archery is about getting close.

http://www.peteward.com/test.stalker.html

The Hermit
01-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys. Since shops don't carry the bows in stock... I want to see pics of the various wood combinations and the websites I've been to don't do a good job of displaying the options. Any other suggestions?

It looks like my spring bear hunt will be with the compound bow this year... sigh.

Will
01-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks guys. since shops don't carry the bows in stock............Any other suggestions?
I bought mine from these Guys.....
Quite a few ChekMates in stock and wow did they send it QUICK !:-o

http://www.archerybymail.com/shop/category.asp?catid=5

Have you seen this site for Pics of finished Bows and wood selections ?

http://www.recurves.com/Hunter_II_Photos.htm

I may have another one on the way.........:redface:

The Hermit
01-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Well ordered my Check-Mate TD Hunter 11 from WindFeather. Monty says it will take about 90 days give or take... now the long wait begins.

Will
01-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Well ordered my Check-Mate TD Hunter 11 from WindFeather. Monty says it will take about 90 days give or take... now the long wait begins.
I'm sure you will not be dissappointed......well worth the wait:smile:

Kody94
02-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Excellent call, Hermit. Monty is my "dealer" as well, whenever I need a trad-fix. :) I bought my ChekMate TD Hunter from him in '97. Phenomenal bow.

Cheers,
4Ster

The 'Hummer'
02-03-2008, 09:57 PM
The Hermit, did you get your bow? My sisters partner asked me to sell a bow for him and the name 'rang' a bell. It's a Checkmate. I was 'thinking' of picking it up but I'm more into compounds. I still have a couple of Willims recurves that I haven't used for many years so I'd better not hang onto the ChekMate as well. I don't know if it's what you're looking for but here are the details on it;
- ChekMate
- Attila, model I believe
- 56"
- 50# @ 28"
- A. 1089 (??)
- like new condition, not a mark.
In addition, it comes with a 'string' for stringing it and six wooden feather fletched arrows, marked 55# and 31" from nock to tip. If you're interested, send me a PM.

The Hermit
02-04-2008, 08:53 AM
You got mail.

Will
02-04-2008, 08:22 PM
You got mail.
I was restraining myself waiting for you to send the PM........:wink:

Besides with 3 Chekmates on the wall now.......the wife says one more & I will be single:oops:
The Attila's are Nice Recurves:cool:

The 'Hummer'
02-05-2008, 08:11 PM

Besides with 3 Chekmates on the wall now.......the wife says one more & I will be single:oops:
The Attila's are Nice Recurves
A little bit of hindsight, but if I was starting out again, :idea:I'd write down every excuse/reason I've used to purchase handguns, rifles, shotguns and bows. I'd like to hang on to the Attila but if I use an excuse I've previously used, she's pretty sharpe and may pick up on it.:redface:

J_T
02-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Besides with 3 Chekmates on the wall nowTHREE:eek:

I have eight Chekmates. Is that why I'm single?:cool:

(Four are for kids and youth though)

FullDraw
02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I had 3 sold one, what an idiot thing that was to do.

F/D

Will
02-06-2008, 03:47 PM
I have eight Chekmates. Is that why I'm single?:cool:

No.......but you may be over obsessed with shafts ! :lol:
:wink:

cominco
05-15-2010, 12:50 PM
And dont overlook the longbows made by Mark either....I have 4 of em and am looking for a 5th....I need a take down Crusader to round out the collection....ok maybe 2 of em...one for the wife

My favorite toy at the moment is my Chek mate TD crusader 59#@27 very sweet to shoot. Greg

cominco
05-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I am trying to track Marc down so I can place and order. So far the numbers i have got haven't worked. Any idea how to contact Marc would be greatly aprreciated. the old Abbotsford stuff is no longer any good and I haven't had any luck with the Port Alberni number. Thanks, Greg

Coyote
05-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Billy Marc lives and works about 2.5 hours from your front door. Go see him

'yote

Coyote
05-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Oops...Sorry Bill. Old post

'yote

cominco
06-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Billy Marc lives and works about 2.5 hours from your front door. Go see him

'yote

Can you tell me how to get a hold of Marc, I have been trying and it seems he isn't listed anywhere and the numbers i have are not working. I need to order acouple of bows and he is hard to find Thanks greg Please fo0rward contact info to cominco@theedeg.ca greatly apreciated thanks greg

cominco
06-20-2010, 10:23 AM

The Attila's are Nice Recurves:cool:

Can you tell me how to get a hold of Marc I need some new bows and the old contact numbers are no good Thanks Greg

valleyHunter
06-20-2010, 12:21 PM
the guy that makes them is mark he ives here in port alberni,the bows are awesome I own two of them he has a website on the net somewhere ,il try to find his number for u

cominco
06-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I have met Marc when he worked in Abbotsford for Dorothy. I have tried looking him up in the Port Alberni white and yellow pages but no luck.What In have is Marc Mozier 8982 bayne rd. 250 723 7933 but this didn't seem to work. Any help would be great Thanks for the qiuck response. Greg

cominco
06-25-2010, 11:00 PM
any luck finding Marcs Number Thanks greg