PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun legallity questions (?)

Upearly
01-10-2008, 04:04 PM
A friend of mine who has an older 12g semi automatic shotgun has removed the "plug" from it's magazine to enable it to hold two extra shells in there. This gun is used strictly for meat/camp security in griz country and only ever has slugs loaded into it. Questions: Is this a legal gun? Does the plug need to be replaced into it for transport purposes, even if there are no shells containing birdshot anywhere near it? It seems to me that it would be a good grizzly deterrant.

308Lover
01-10-2008, 04:09 PM
If you're stopped, and they shove that rubber hose inside your pump shotgun, you'd better have a plug in it, or you're breaking the law.

Bullmoose
01-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I stand to be corrected but isn't the three shot limit just for hunting waterfowl??

brotherjack
01-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Totally legal - see the Hunting and Trapping synopsis, page 17

Where the use of a shotgun is
allowed for hunting or trapping big game, an unplugged shotgun
holding more than 2 shells and firing single projectiles only (slugs) may
be used.

pupper
01-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I heard from a C.O. that if you are using it for protection you dont need a plug, but if you are hunting waterfowl, you need a plug.

timberhunter
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Totally legal..

Just don't tell him you also have six shots in your pistol for bear defence too. :)
Just kidding.

Kirby
01-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Totally legal. The 3 shot limit is for hunting birds. Don't get caught packing bird shot in it though.

Kirby

Browningmirage
01-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah its legal as far as i know.

A buddy of mine got stopped one time, the CO was going to give him a ticket, but if you are using it for protection (say at work), then you dont have to have a plug.

It says you need it to have it plugged for hunting (birds i suspect), nothing about protection, if you arent in pursuit of game, then you should be fine.

boxhitch
01-10-2008, 10:26 PM
five rounds of Buckshot should be OK too.

ribber
01-10-2008, 11:17 PM
totally legal plug is for water fowl only

Mulies
01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
If you have it loaded with five rounds for defence. They all have to be slugs only. The reasoning is that if a flock of birds came over and you had one slug and four bird shot that you could eject the slug and let her rip with the four other rounds.( I know it sounds pretty stupid to me too)

brotherjack
01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
five rounds of Buckshot should be OK too.

Actually no - see the quote I posted above. It specifically states "single projectiles only".

ryanb
01-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Would everyone PLEASE read the hunting and trapping synopsis before making comments...There is so much misinformation going on here. It is legal only when using SINGLE PROJECTILES, SLUGS, and only where hunting big game, unless you are not hunting (ie no hunting license on you and only using the firearm for protection). Plug must be used for hunting all game when shot is used, including buckshot.

Gateholio
01-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Keep in mind that when TRANSPORTING, there is no mag restriction...

gary mok
01-11-2008, 01:48 AM
Remember: slug is unlimited but buckshot and other shot is three only in mag.

JoshLedoux
01-11-2008, 02:05 AM
If you've missed him in 3 shots does it really matter anymore?

islandstalker
01-11-2008, 02:42 AM
Remember: slug is unlimited but buckshot and other shot is three only in mag.
hmm the co i talked to said buckshot and slugs were ok just no birdshot. he shoved that tube up there , and said i could "put as much buckshot as i could fit in there".

islandstalker
01-11-2008, 02:44 AM
oh ya and i told him i was using it for deer.

mrdoog
01-11-2008, 07:59 AM
"he shoved that tube up there , and said i could "put as much buckshot as i could fit in there"."

I hope he at least paid for dinner and a bottle of wine after that.

TRIPALM
01-11-2008, 07:31 PM
no limit on allowable # slugs,only shot

Plincker
01-11-2008, 08:26 PM
So if I'm using #8 or 7.5 bird shot for skeet does this mean that I have to have the plug in the mag?

Marlin375
01-11-2008, 09:22 PM
A friend of mine who has an older 12g semi automatic shotgun has removed the "plug" from it's magazine to enable it to hold two extra shells in there. This gun is used strictly for meat/camp security in griz country and only ever has slugs loaded into it. Questions: Is this a legal gun? Does the plug need to be replaced into it for transport purposes, even if there are no shells containing birdshot anywhere near it? It seems to me that it would be a good grizzly deterrant.

I would argue that if your friend is not hunting with the shotgun then the "hunting regs" have squat to do with the guns legallity.

If my memmory serves me correctly........any semi-auto centerfire that holds more than 5 rounds becomes a "restricted firearm".

That being said load the gun with 5 rounds of "whatever you like"
(using birdshot to defend your camp from maurading bears would be a poor choice)

Will
01-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I would argue that if your friend is not hunting with the shotgun then the "hunting regs" have squat to do with the guns legallity.
If you are in posession of a Firearm during an Open hunting season....the "hunting regs" have much more then squat to do with the guns legality whether it's intended use is hunting or not. ;)

(Like flogging a dead horse excercise)
:lol::lol:

jimh
01-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Marlin375 I think it may be semi-auto centre fires that are restricted to 5. I'm sure there are lever actions in 44 & 357 cal etc that are still legal. Not positive but just going on what I've been told. Jim

boxhitch
01-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Actually no - see the quote I posted above. It specifically states "single projectiles only".
Bro', my post said 'should be OK'.
The point being, if I choose to hunt deer with Buckshot, I shouldn't be limited to carrying two in the mag.
Self/camp defense is another issue, not covered by the hunting regs.

Marlin375
01-12-2008, 11:16 PM
If you are in posession of a Firearm during an Open hunting season....the "hunting regs" have much more then squat to do with the guns legality whether it's intended use is hunting or not. ;)

:lol::lol:

Please explain.

I don't need a hunting license, or regulations to be in posession of a non-restricted firearm anywhere or anytime. Thanks to our Federal Govt.

ryanb
01-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't understand how CO's can say you're hunting when just out in the bush with a gun either. Either you have a hunting license and are hunting, and are thus subject to the hunting regulations, or you do not have a license and are not hunting, and are therefore NOT subject to the hunting regulations...I don't see any grey area there....

It seems rather contrived and ridiculous to say that you might be poaching without a hunting license, and therefore need to have a plug in your shotgun...

Wolfman
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Don't you all just love the 'regs and how they are either clear as crystal or clear as mud - depending on the circumstance and also how sober one happens to be ;-)

happygilmore
02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't understand how CO's can say you're hunting when just out in the bush with a gun either. Either you have a hunting license and are hunting, and are thus subject to the hunting regulations, or you do not have a license and are not hunting, and are therefore NOT subject to the hunting regulations...I don't see any grey area there....

It seems rather contrived and ridiculous to say that you might be poaching without a hunting license, and therefore need to have a plug in your shotgun...

It doesn't matter if I have a hunting licence or not what matters it what the co thinks I'm doing and what the co can prove I'm doing. I carry my licence on me all the time, doesn't mean i'm hunting if I say I'm camping. The co would have to catch you shooting bird with unplugged gun or catch you in possesion of birds with unplugged gun or obviously hunting ie sitting in a blind in middle of a marsh, making duck sounds... Co's can charge you for any number of things if they think you are doing something wrong, they can sieze your gun and your truck and any number of other things, they have more power than the rcmp when it comes to these matters, however they can be wrong too, or apply the laws differently from other co's. There's always one or two who read the regs and interpret them differently.

Wolfman
02-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I sure wouldn't want to lose my shotgun or my truck over a misinterpretation of the regs - by either myself OR the CO. Better to be on the safe side than the sorry side ;-)

Regards.

Wolfman

spreerider
02-10-2008, 10:37 AM
the CO's have the responsibility to interprit the regulations, much like a building / electrical inspector, all the regs and codes are interprited different by different people it depends on how you read the words, they can often mean that you can do something or that you cant at the same time depending on how you interprit the words to say.
If you feel you have been wronged with a co's decision you can take it to court, (i would speak with a laywer before i decided) you probably wont get compensation but you might be able to get laywer fees paid for and get your posessions back and the co will get a black mark on his record and find it harder to get a transfer if he ever wanted one.