PDA

View Full Version : Bowfishing?

Chris76239
01-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Hey, can anyone shed some light on this topic for me. I was told that there was spots to bowfish for carp is the fraser valley area. around chilliwack. But other than being told that I can't find any other information on the subject.

Chris

Steeleco
01-09-2008, 06:59 AM
I once had a neighbor that hunted carp at the top end of 264th in the canal that feeds the Fraser. Not sure of the rules but he did it all the time. Maybe it's a fishing reg and not hunting??

Deerwhacker
01-09-2008, 07:04 AM
you should be able to find info in the fishing regs.

Chris76239
01-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I looked through the regs, but other than a little paragraph on spearfishing (which apparently bowfishing falls under) there is not much. Under the info on spearfishing says you may not spearfish any game fish and Crap was not under the list of game fish. Thats all I can find in the regs.

Bow Walker
01-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Well then..........go have some fun! Take pics and post them up to.

Wild one
01-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I did some bow fishing in the Nicomen slough about 7years ago and did good.The best thing to do is wait for a hot day and look for shollow weedy areas.If you can find a spot where thy cruse you can sit there all day shooting at carp.It will take some time to find a good spot and remember to shoot low.

freeman6
01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Done it in the Arrow Lake a couple of times when conditions were just right in the early summer. It was a hoot!

Bow Walker
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Apparently Burnaby Lake is a good spot as well. Lots of shallow, reedy areas where you can shoot carp and bass too if I'm not mistaken.

Go get 'em!

Chris76239
01-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Perfect now we're getting somewhere. thanks for the info and if you find out anything keep me posted. I'll post more info as I find it.

Bpower
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Hatzic Lake has some that are huge! I was canoeing along the East channel of the lake and saw a few. Navigating the East channel can be tricky due to very shallow water at times...good Bass fishing as well here.

Wildfoot
01-09-2008, 12:08 PM
whenever I go bowfishing I just follow the regs as far as closures and such.
It is very very hard to find the equipment here in bc... best to order from ebay or make a trip to the states.

Chris76239
01-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Equipment I don't need to worry about I got the whole PSE kingfisher bowfishing setup. I originally bought it as a inexpensive way to get into recurve shooting (And I have to admit now after shooting a few different recurves now the PSE is an awsome bow!). But it's got all the equipment needed to bowfish which is what brought me to start this thread in the first place. I am trying to embrace as many aspect to Archery/Bowhunting as I can. It's been a fun ride so far Between shooting compounds and recurves, And getting all the tools and making my own arrows. So Naturally I though I got the stuff let throw bowfishing up on the board too. And it looks like it could help pass the time between now and next hunting season.:biggrin:

Trav
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
i've done it lots. its a blast in the early summer when the carp are spawning in the shallows!

Bow Walker
01-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Welcome Trav...are you "slumming" from the BZ? ;-) Trying to find out our strategy for the Distance Shoot? :eek:

pupper
01-09-2008, 09:41 PM
I dont think there is any rules on bowfishing carp. In oyosoos lake you could stand on a doc and shoot away, just aim high.
here is an article that may help with getting started:http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Bow_Fishing_Tips

Kirby
01-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Welcome Trav...are you "slumming" from the BZ? ;-) Trying to find out our strategy for the Distance Shoot? :eek:

Trav is from BC... Think its a different one.

Pupper there are several rules, non-game fish only, some areas are closed etc.

Kirby

pupper
01-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Pupper there are several rules, non-game fish only, some areas are closed etc.

Kirby

Yah, I know its only carp and non game fish.

Blk Arrow
01-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Definitions of freshwater game fish are in the bottom right on page 8 of the 2007-2008 B.C. Freshwater Fishing Synopsis. Carp are not a game fish but surprisingly some alien species are listed as game fish.

I know of one fellow who got a warning for bow fishing bass. Consulting regs. prior to fishing or hunting is prudent.