PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a new crossbow...

loki
01-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Ok, just stopped by the Excalibur site and found this beauty:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/content_431.jpg

I want it, the stained wood is so pretty, uh, I mean manly and rustic :wink:.

Really I'm the first to admit, I don't need it, and it's got the exact same specs as the Exocet 200 I own, but damn that thing for looking so nice. The funny thing here is the butt padding, because obviously crossbows kick back instead of forward, kicks back so much that it needs a butt pad :roll:.

This has now spawned the idea of custom making/ordering a body for my Exocet 200, seems simple enough.

tomahawk
01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Why not try a Compound or Recurve or Longbow if you already have a crossbow? Puts another step into the challenge of the hunt.

loki
01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Why not try a Compound...

Already have that too... I shoot a Bowtech Commander. Since I took my rigs out of my siggy I understand why someone wouldn't know that. It made for a really long siggy...

Why would I want it if I already have a crossbow? Out of the pure beauty of the thing. I want it, don't need it, and unless I win the lottery or some other unforseen circumstance won't be getting it.

Still want it though... so nice.

Now I'm thinking about building a custom body, and have limited knowledge of trigger assemblies. Getting the trigger over seems to me to be the main challenge. Thoughts?

J_T
01-08-2008, 06:08 PM
You must be single with no children:p

358win
01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Hey I agree. If it looks good and you can afford it....why not buy two?
I've wondered why X-bows aren't 100% camo'ed. Metal parts are solid colors and fling'n sticks is a close encounter.

loki
01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
You must be single with no children:p

Nah, married and lucky enough to have a wife that allows me to spend money foolishly.

I've wondered why X-bows aren't 100% camo'ed. Metal parts are solid colors and fling'n sticks is a close encounter.

No kidding. That has occured to me as well, apparently flashy steel is hard for game to see at 20 yards. There again it's hard to see the steel when it's pointed straight at the animal.

Really, I'm liking the thoughts of this project more and more. Now i'm up to custom making a body, putting on the power slide and trigger assembly, and airbrushing a decent camo pattern on the sides of the metal. I'm thinking that doing the top may add unknown chemical wear to the string :shock: or at the very least will wear itself out as the string and bolt passes overtop.

Any of our resident gunsmiths able to inform me how hard moving the trigger assembly is? I don't see it to be too hard.

Just watch as I decide to add a bayonette...heh. :D

timberhunter
01-08-2008, 07:07 PM
I agree with you it is a very nice rig. Something not commonly found in most crossbows. The laminate wood is very nice.

I think most people are negative towards crossbow shooters because some crossbow shooters figure they can shoot at and kill and animal with a crossbow past normal bow range. Myself I don't have a problem with a crossbow. As long as the shooter realises that the crossbow effeciant killing range 30 yards, 40 at the most. And yes people have made longer shots, but a crossbow bolt just does not have the kinetic energy for adequet penetration past 30-40 yards.
I have a friend who shoots a xbow as well as compound bows and he quite surprised me when I first met him. He said he never shoots past 30 yards with his crossbows. Up to this time I was some what against xbows.

Anyways not to change the topic of the thread but to only shed some light onto why some people may not agree that the bow is a nice rig.

Marc

358win
01-08-2008, 07:08 PM
airbrushing a decent camo pattern on the sides of the metal.

Now yer talking Loki. forget the top, wax will do. I'm thinking seeing a deer peripheral close in and have to move on it, the sides will be seen and should be cameoed.

Will
01-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Looks Great.........If your a Mall Ninja ! :biggrin:

:lol:;-)

loki
01-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Looks Great.........If your a Mall Ninja !

See that's what I figured, got to be pimp wherever I go. :lol:

Righto, so at the very least for a do able project I should try my hand at airbrushing the metal sides of my current bow.

So then here's my question, what do you guys use to paint your rifles? Yes I know it's a total newb question, but my guess is it's something different than my usual waterbased acrylic.

I'm looking at my yellow cedar in the backyard now for body projects, should make a good stained wood.

358win
01-08-2008, 09:09 PM
So then here's my question, what do you guys use to paint your rifles?

Here is my try at camo painting by browning bps.
I made a pattern from cardboard by cutting a window 6" X 12" then taping top 'n bottom sticks 'n fur branches over . Then U de grease painting area. Paint 1st color (brown in my case) wait for total dry time. Then use cardboard pattern and spray over with new color (hunter green in my case) wait for dry time again, then over coat with flat clear.

Before
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc252/358win99/gun.jpg

After
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc252/358win99/gun001.jpg

358win
01-08-2008, 09:19 PM
sorry...any exterior paint will do if you are using an exerior overcoat. I used rustoleum.