PDA

View Full Version : Pig/ Boar Hunting

ribber
01-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I know there has been talk of this before but I keep hearing these rumours of feral pigs/ hogs in B.C. One guy I work with saw a bunch up by Pink Mountain some years ago and I've heard tales of feral pigs/boars near Chilliwac in the Valley. Is this all B.S. or are they out there? And who would know for sure?

mark
01-07-2008, 06:51 PM
this topic has been talked about before, yes they are out there, some around Kelowna also! CO told me to blast em as I please!

martyonthewater
01-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I've also heard of them in chwk valley,

Will
01-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Steve keeps telling me there's Hawgs up near Clearwater..........:lol::wink:

tomahawk
01-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I can't remember the year exactly but it was in the late 70's I believe, we took 2 small sows and a medium sized boar out behind Harrison Lake. Good eating but drier than pork from the store. It was not hard to tell where they are living, the ground is rooted up all over.

Conrad74
01-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Ton of pigs out in chilliwack especially on long weekends - garbage and crap everywhere !!

Steeleco
01-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Ton of pigs out in chilliwack especially on long weekends - garbage and crap everywhere !!

But those ones only have two legs!!!

I don't think there's been any sightings or the real thing in quite some time??

Mtn Wonderer
01-08-2008, 07:46 AM
I have not heard or seen of any hogs in the Chwk valley(I spend a lot of time there) , but I heard a logger killed one with a truck up the Ruby creek road on the north side of the valley about 7 years ago.

dukester
01-08-2008, 12:05 PM
North of ft st john has Russion Razor Backs. shot 6 of them in 1996. i know it has been a long time but those pigs have no enemies.they will still be around. used bows and 30-30. even went in Feb to find them mother sow had flattened a round hay bail and had her piglets in the middle.
Here are 2 wild pigs and my last bc bear.. it was a good day hunting.

dave_fras
01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
k i was just out doing some yote hunting today... and we came across a dead one!... we have some pics on my cousins camera... i doubt that it was fully wild tho!

MerrittBow
01-08-2009, 07:42 PM
There was a article about how to hunt b.c wild hogs in the newest b.c hunting magazine i think.

sneg
01-09-2009, 08:31 AM
There is no open season for wild hogs.Also they are not on Sch.B or C.
Unless they attack you, you can not shoot them. No ??
How big are they here ? Never seen any signs.I hv hunted them in Europe with shotgun slug. Over there some were like 300 lbs and they have quite sharp from teeth.Wounded boar charge like crazy. Very exciting hunt.

KodiakHntr
01-09-2009, 08:51 AM
There is no open season for wild hogs.Also they are not on Sch.B or C.
Unless they attack you, you can not shoot them. No ??

They aren't classified as wildlife, so don't fall under the schedules is my understanding of it from the CO.

ElkMasterC
01-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I saw some Hogs at Roosters in Pitt Meadows a coupla years back.

Sadly though, I was under-gunned, or so I was told.

(PS: They aren't coverd by anything. Shoot 'em)

sneg
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Not wildlife ? OK. Now need to find the definition of wild life or what is included. Some CO s may have different opinion.

sneg
01-09-2009, 09:41 AM
So if I see a cat or domestic dog and woods,for example ? They are not wildlife .. Can I shoot them ? what about cow ? I do not think you can shoot hogs ,because they are not wild life. There must be something else. Invasive species ?

eaglesnester
01-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Previous poster from Europe sure was bang on about the Asian wild boar being exciting to hunt. They are very dangerous and in Europe, Germany they can exceed 600lbs. Very sharp teeth, long very sharp tusks, and a bad attitude. Will charge in a heart beat if wounded. The meat is excellent, much better than domestic pork. Apparently in Texas they are out of control in some areas. I do not understand how that could happen as they are so much fun to hunt and so very good to eat. You would think that they would get shot out real quick like.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

action99
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Once those pigs get in an area I don't think you can shoot them quick enough. They breed all the time from what I've read. I did read a story lately that said up hear in Canada you should start out hunting in areas where they have penned hunting, because they will escape and start breeding in the wild.

sneg
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Eaglenester, wild hog can produce up to half-dozen offsprings I guess. Mother is very protective and would not affraid smaller predators , they can eat everything; roots, berries, small brids and animals if they catch . i would call them ultimate survivors. So they spreadout very quickly.Their "fur", or whatever is quite strong, I have seen buck shoot deflecting from it. They are moving fast in thick brush,probably this is why it is not easy to shoot them. Best bet would be baiting. If I knew place I would go and have a try.

sneg
01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Can you imagine year around open season for large ,quick, strong and tasty animal ? sounds good to me.

rishu_pepper
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Their "fur", or whatever is quite strong, I have seen buck shoot deflecting from it.

:eek:

Then comes the obvious question of "what would you use for boar defense?". :biggrin:

sneg
01-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Then comes the obvious question of "what would you use for boar defense?".

SLUG. make sure it is not single shot shotgun.Hog is not tall animall and they don't wonder in the open field.So most likely it would be close ecounter.At close range I would prefer good shotgun over rifle.

dave_fras
01-09-2009, 10:55 AM
the one i seen had to be 100 pounds!!

d6dan
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Theres an article on hog hunting in this months western sportsman mag. the author of it used a 30-30 on a pig. shot it twice to dispatch the critter. I believe he was hunting alberta. anyway its a good story.

BCHunterFSJ
01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I shot this guy in France (a long time ago) with a 7mm.
Around the Peace Region they can be found in the Cecil Lake, Flatrock, Goodlow areas. Mostly on private land...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/File0002boar.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/wild_boar_jpg_resize.jpg

sneg
01-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Nice.Thanks for tip.

moosehunter16
01-09-2009, 10:29 PM
nice beard bud Love it!

Will
01-09-2009, 10:51 PM
As I recall, there are Boars near hope too. :p

http://content8.flixster.com/photo/10/96/07/10960778_gal.jpg

riflebuilder
01-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I had a guy who said there were wild (feral ) pigs on one of the gulf islands. I spent a couple of weeks searching for them to no avail but I did get to shoot a feral Argyle Goat with my Long Bow. Here is a pig I got in Texas

I can't get this to work.....

The picture is in my gallery how do you post it to the tread

ElkMasterC
01-10-2009, 07:06 PM
So if I see a cat or domestic dog and woods,for example ? They are not wildlife .. Can I shoot them ? what about cow ? I do not think you can shoot hogs ,because they are not wild life. There must be something else. Invasive species ?

You knew the answer to the cattle question before you asked it.

BUT: No-one "grazes" pigs 3 miles from the nearest barn.

Kill them. Kill them with a great and vengeful killing!

And I wanna see pics!

browningboy
01-11-2009, 12:20 PM
I shot this guy in France (a long time ago) with a 7mm.
Around the Peace Region they can be found in the Cecil Lake, Flatrock, Goodlow areas. Mostly on private land...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/File0002boar.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/wild_boar_jpg_resize.jpg

Nice pic, thought you were Hank Williams Jr. for a minute!

The MAN
01-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I have noticed a few guys on here are hard core hog hunting, wonder if they ever had success???:confused::mrgreen:

riflebuilder
01-13-2009, 08:26 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Texas_Boar.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12343&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=3110)

this guy was gret eating I should of got a head mount done but we were shooting so many of them and I wasn't planning on moving. Oh welll an excuse to go back and got one more.

H Wally
01-13-2009, 11:37 AM
I know they're completely uncontroleable, but it would be great to have some of those massive European boars roaming around as a year round hunting opportunity.

Plus the boars have amazing winter coats; thick skin, thick bristles... would make a great wall hanging.

I understand that Berlin has a massive wild boar problem. Seems the pigs are now living right in the city and are causing all sorts of problems. To make it worse, "nature lovers" are feeding them at night, so they get even more habituated to people...

riflebuilder
01-14-2009, 05:25 AM
They are running around in SK and in AB leave them there they do make a mess. That said they are smart and a hell of a lot of fun to hunt....