PDA

View Full Version : What would you bring ?

frenchbar
01-07-2008, 11:09 AM
If you could stuff that little extra in your pack for those say 7 day pack in hunts what would you bring. For me it would be a small am radio and a couple steaks and spuds. I like the radio for weather forecasts and listning to sporting events ,hockey games ect .over the yrs ive listend to world series games ,championship boxing fights, hockey games sitting at the camp fire.Any one else pack one with them.8)

camelsfoot
01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
If you could stuff that little extra in your pack for those say 7 day pack in hunts what would you bring. For me it would be a small am radio and a couple steaks and spuds. I like the radio for weather forecasts and listening to sporting events ,hockey games ect .over the yrs ive listend to world series games ,championship boxing fights, hockey games sitting at the camp fire.Any one else pack one with them.8)Hey Sneaky I would bring a few extra beer and bottle of moonshine and sit around the campfire listening to your radio and you talk about how your going to get the big hummer that gave you the slip earlier in the day.:biggrin::lol:

frenchbar
01-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey Sneaky I would bring a few extra beer and bottle of moonshine and sit around the campfire listening to your radio and you talk about how your going to get the big hummer that gave you the slip earlier in the day.:biggrin::lol:Good one bro..Smartass:)

Bow Walker
01-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Radios are so smal these days that taking one with you shoudn't be much of a problem.

For me it'd be an extra roll of bum fodder and maybe just maybe a mickey of something for the evening fire.

frenchbar
01-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Your right about the T.P cant have enough it seems . Ive ripped a few shirts apart over the yrs.lol

frenchbar
01-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Hey Sneaky I would bring a few extra beer and bottle of moonshine and sit around the campfire listening to your radio and you talk about how your going to get the big hummer that gave you the slip earlier in the day.:biggrin::lol: Hey camels foot .you keep drinking those beers and you will have a tough time making it to those campfires :wink:

Bow Walker
01-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Your right about the T.P cant have enough it seems . Ive ripped a few shirts apart over the yrs.lol
I've had to cut the tops off a pair of heavy sox once - scratchy and rough! :shock: :oops:

Taking an old shirt and cutting it into pieces might be a good idea. You could was them out in the creek. :roll:

tomahawk
01-07-2008, 12:14 PM
A mickey of vodka and some orange tang crystals!

bighornbob
01-07-2008, 12:21 PM
A queen size bed would sure be compfy on those sheep hunts:smile:

BHB

KevinB
01-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Since we're fantasizing here, I've often wished for a levitating anti-gravity device for my pack.:biggrin:

Seriously, I'd stuff in a change of capilene. And a book for when you get weather-bound in the tent. I already bring a small plastic bottle of port or single malt. For emergerncies only of course. :wink:

happygilmore
01-07-2008, 01:48 PM
http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/ba/33/69_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.ca/INFLATABLE-SHEEP-Bachelor-Party-GAG-GIFT-Luvin-Lamb-NEW_W0QQitemZ200177941392QQihZ010QQcategoryZ102375 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p163 8.m118#ebayphotohosting)

Gun Dog
01-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Your right about the T.P cant have enough it seems . Ive ripped a few shirts apart over the yrs.lolWhen camping I bring baby wipes for that fresh feeling. Unscented of course.

trail blazer
01-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I don,t know how I would get it my pack, but a good massage after an extra hard day would be sweet. No radio for me, I try to forget about the outside world for two weeks.

dukester
01-07-2008, 03:21 PM
http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/ba/33/69_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.ca/INFLATABLE-SHEEP-Bachelor-Party-GAG-GIFT-Luvin-Lamb-NEW_W0QQitemZ200177941392QQihZ010QQcategoryZ102375 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p163 8.m118#ebayphotohosting)
Ummmmmmmmmmmm!!! lol omg this is good. this would be after the bottle of southern C.

Dirty
01-07-2008, 03:25 PM

A Sheep Decoy? What an innovative sheep hunting technique.

Orangethunder
01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I packed in a radio on my first fly in and it helped make me feel a little closer to home. The one I take is pretty tiny and it was tough getting reception except late at night.

For an extra take along I would have to say that I would go for a beer or two for that celebration thirst!!

Sitkaspruce
01-07-2008, 04:28 PM
a really good book and an mp3 player.

I have one of those crank up radio's and they work ok, but I also do not want to really know what is going on in the real world so we usually just tune it in to the weather. That has helped us a couple of times.

freeman6
01-07-2008, 06:10 PM
A deck of cards and a spare set of double AAs. If there was some more room, a few paper shop towels and an i-pod with head phones. If it was someone elses pack, I would toss in a sat phone.

The deck of cards would guarantee that I would have company if I got lonely. Ever tried to deal a hand of solitaire without someone showing up to give you advice?

The AAs work in the camera, the GPS, the flashlight and most other things that folks pack nowadays.

The paper shop towels can be used as TP, to tie up a bad gash, as survey ribbon or as tinder for a fire. I have tied one around my head to keep the sweat out of my eyes as I packed my moose down the mountain.

The i-pod would be to entertain me on the weathered in days.

boatdoc
01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Went on a goat hunt a couple of years ago,took a newbie with us. He asked if he should bring anything extra so i told him a case of beer would be nice. After the 15 km hike to camp he pulled out a 12 pack and asked if he should put it in the creek to keep it cold! WOW i said you are definetly invited next year.

boxhitch
01-07-2008, 08:38 PM
A para-sail. with landing lights.

One Shot
01-07-2008, 09:01 PM

LMAO.........Arabs have everything now since they can't look at naked women.:mrgreen:

Kirby
01-07-2008, 09:12 PM
I already bring a small plastic bottle of port or single malt. For emergerncies only of course. :wink:

like times you and Thad are stuck in a tent for days?:-P

I personally like a mickey for the camp fire, and a book for weather days.

Kirby

dana
01-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I typically pack more food. Weight in food on the way in is not weight on the way out.

J_T
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I already do take a good book. I think if I was going to change anything, I'd get rid of the male hunting partners I hunt with and start up with a bunch of young woman. For those times when you're rained in.

Scobo
01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
this may have been the funniest thread i have seen in a while. i second wipes. after a sweaty day nothing like wipes to make you feel real fresh again and also take some of that extra stink away.

calvin L
01-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Big Horn Bob I beleeve that you have the double bed in the back of the truck on hunting trips? As your boots (slippers) do not have the best grip off the carpet :tongue:.

calvin L

bighornbob
01-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Big Horn Bob I beleeve that you have the double bed in the back of the truck on hunting trips? calvin L

If I could only figure out how to mount my window mount spotter on the canopy sliders in the back, there would be no more cold mornings glassing from behind the steering wheel.:biggrin::biggrin:

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Sherpa....just for the beer:-).............................:wink:

No radio for me....like others have said I prefer the escape from life.

Sat phone for weather forecast and emergencies (and to let the wife sleep better:roll:).

SSS

BCrams
01-08-2008, 11:13 AM
a satellite blackberry!

But really - I think a small paperback book would be the ticket. Burn the pages as you go.

RBH
01-08-2008, 10:46 PM
a large inflatable doll

Stone Sheep Steve
01-09-2008, 08:50 AM
a large inflatable doll

You like them large eh??:mrgreen:

SSS

Dirty
01-09-2008, 08:54 AM
a large inflatable doll

Is this like that old saying for fishing. Big bait big fish. Big Blow Up Doll Big Sheep? :tongue:

308Lover
01-09-2008, 11:38 AM
A radio would last as long as it takes me to load a rifle. Cloth-covered space blanket can be a saver. Scratch/win bingo cards are a neat surprise for the friends by the fire---they are also great for improving the eyesight---dang those tiny letters! Use a plastic bottle for good scotch--then recycle it. It's light and noise free---just like the doll you take with you. LOL LOL

Bowzone_Mikey
01-09-2008, 07:36 PM
well since we are dreamin' a Sitkorski to airlift my RV in and out ...if for nothing else for the toilet ... Having a crunch over a log is one thing ... actually being able to relax on a comfy seat and read the latest bowhunter mag is another.

seriously tho ... all of my pack in camps have been catered by freeze dried stuff for the most part and MREs ... I would love to be able to have a thick steak cooked on the open fire with a slate of applewood on the top of a mountain. the closest thing to that I had to date is some huge mushroom found on the mountain side cut into steaks ... I usually bring some Appleton Rum for sippin at nite and Gatorade drink crystals for after we filter, boil and cool the water to keep our electrolyte levels up .... Great cure for the Appleton hangover too by the way.

calvin L
01-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't know what I would bring . As we already take a sat phone,freash meat,egg's , we have cheese cake,jello and brownies for a snack. We have a archery target in there also a dish rack , crapper seat , folding table . 100 lbs of propane I can't see needing anything more other than MORE TIME IN THE BUSH

calvin L

RBH
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
You like them large eh??:mrgreen:

SSS

Large but not overinflated.

bigbbb
04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Take a spotting scope and sit on the clay banks and spot the big one,its nice to spot across the river into china culch and see whats moving. Hike up the river and have a look into empire valley.

gone hunting
04-14-2008, 05:49 PM
A small bottle of yukon jack (for snake bites)
A tiny bottle of bleach and an eye dropper (2 drops per litre of water)
A sat phone would be nice for emergency use.
NO RADIO!!!!!!!!!!! (but that's just me)
Oh yah. And a snake.

finish
04-14-2008, 06:10 PM
a satellite blackberry!

But really - I think a small paperback book would be the ticket. Burn the pages as you go.

Playboy or Penthouse??
I'd have to bring a little more beer and Rye , and maybe my computer, so I can read the Forums!!!!

oscar makonka
04-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Hey Sneaky I would bring a few extra beer and bottle of moonshine and sit around the campfire listening to your radio and you talk about how your going to get the big hummer that gave you the slip earlier in the day.:biggrin::lol:

Hehe..... moonshine + Sneaky = best entertainment possible, who needs a radio....:mrgreen:

frenchbar
04-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Hehe..... moonshine + Sneaky = best entertainment possible, who needs a radio....:mrgreen:Im not that bad am i:lol::lol:

johnes50
04-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Micky of Crown Royal, T3's, extra TP, some Pepto Bismal, baby wipes, and a little tube of "Poly Sporin complete" just in case, and extra ammo.

04-14-2008, 09:15 PM
On those remote, sheep, goat and buck hunts I dry chopped onion, garlic, and spices to rub onto fresh back strap, ribs or heart. I take stainless wire to hang the chops from or tin foil to wrap the heart in. Makes for some great eating, well deserved enjoyable dinners. Those lipton packs and dried salmon jerky can only last so long. I always take a tiny sewing kit and it's not for mending clothes, those shale slide areas can really open a guy up. T 3's just incase some ones in real pain and a bonus plastic micky of Fire ball or Southern Comfort. Great for sippin round a fire with buckwheat , billy or rambo hangin in the background. I wish I could afford a sat phone and extra battery, they are cool to have if you can....but heavy. Man this makes me want to go packin! Gotta love it.!!
C/T

gone hunting
04-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Also thought I'd mention that this year I'm bringing along my 18 year old son, fresh from boot camp. Apart from putting the heavy stuff in his pack, I think I'll put a harness on him and let him tow me up the steep parts.

hunter1947
04-15-2008, 03:48 AM
I would bring a 26 of hard stuff so when we downed an animal we could have a few drinks latter that evening.

silvicon
04-15-2008, 09:51 AM
well, this thread shows the antis that most 'hunters' are drunkards
and can not be trusted with firearms.
i am sure that some of your posts will show up on some anti-hunting sites.

well done, guys!
another shot in the foot.

04-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Hey Silvicon,
if you notice, it's often mentioned that a celebration drink round a fire after the fact. Blow it out your ....you know what. Darn we really tarnished your image, sorry that I was part of something that really ruined it for you. Take your opinion elsewhere if you think everyones hunting half cut.
C/T

hunter1947
04-16-2008, 06:58 AM

well done, guys!
another shot in the foot. If in the evening I am finished hunting and I don't have nothing to do with fire arms there's nothing wrong with having a drink of hard stuff ,I wouldn't want to hunt with YOU ,you sound like you are a Sargent or some kind. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif.

newhunterette
04-16-2008, 07:28 AM
hmmmmmmmm after silvicon's comment I guess I will still keep mine a secret - wouldnt want to tarnish his little rep any more :):biggrin:

shame on you ya drunkards hehehehehe
:roll:sheesh

johnes50
04-16-2008, 09:11 AM

well done, guys!
another shot in the foot.

I understand where you're coming from. But to live in fear all the time is to not live at all.

We are, for the most part, mature responsible people who have to prove that we are responsible just to get a hunting licence and PAL and to keep them. I think we can handle a snort after a long days hunt or a celebratory drink without going beserk. Most folks that hunt have been around firearms in one way or the other since they were children and don't need to be lectured about being responsible. Don't live in fear.

BiG Boar
04-16-2008, 09:40 AM
well I know what I would bring, a pistol to fire off at least 2 celebration shots, into the air (obviously) and a lot, I mean tonnes of different types of alcohol to drink while I am doing it!!! Then I would find a panda or something nearly extinct to start sh*t with! And then I would definitley want to pull out my space saving crack pipe and have a hoot. And then, I would make a video of the whole thing and put it on youtube for all the antis to see!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Of course my fly in would allow all of the above stated things in whatever country I flew into! And at the end of the video, I would cackle quite loudly.

BeerBaitnAmmo
04-16-2008, 09:44 AM
OMG, bigbore, I think I just s**t myself laughing......

jerad
04-16-2008, 03:07 PM
jamesons 12y irish wiskey!more batteries, a book and a portable dvd player with a war movie.

BlacktailStalker
04-16-2008, 04:00 PM
silvicon; You've got to be kidding me.

sfire436
04-16-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm sorry, what are we talking about??? I'm half cut since I hunt, you know, being a drunkard and all.

gone hunting
04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Anyway, if there is any room left in your pack, after your supply of booze, I would like to suggest a tennis ball. Not for playing fetch with the local wildlife, but to stick on the end of a pole, to hold up a tarp. Its the easiest way I know to keep water from collecting.
I also take along an old pair of sneekers for crossing streams. I don't care how tough you are, walking bare foot on rocks, through water that close to the ice it comes from, with a pack on your back, sucks.