PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scopes- Angled or Straight

Ronne
01-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm going to be buying my first spotting scope in the near future but I can't decide on an angled or straight eyepiece. Curious to know what other guys use and prefer. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

ryanb
01-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Its a preference thing, but I find it easier to look through an angled scope, especially when lookig up-hill. The downside is that acquiring targets in the scope is quite a bit more difficult with the angled scopes.

Gateholio
01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I prefer straight scopes, I feel they are more versatile.

bcmulie
01-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Straight scopes for me, although I've never used an angled scope so I can't claim this is an overly informed opinion...just seems to me like it would be easier to find animals using a straight scope, plus I like to be able to hide behind my scope and use it as extra camouflage. :wink:

bcmulie

bigwhiteys
01-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Used angled before... prefer straight... Angled is great for the window mount road hunting though.

Carl

Gamebuster
01-06-2008, 11:57 PM
I find angled more comfortable in nearly all situations, particularly if it rotates and particularly for long periods of glassin....takes a bit of practice so you can pick up your target quick though but after a while it comes to be as quick as a straight

Mr. Dean
01-07-2008, 12:04 AM
I can't get used to the angled eye-pieces. Aquiring the target is just to flumsy.

Wildfoot
01-07-2008, 12:05 AM
i have a 45 degree angled eyepiece. I want to switch it to a straight. I dont find it that comfortable. A 20 degree angled would be nice too. 45 is too steep I find.

RMG
01-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Purely a personal thing, I have an angled scope, with is super great for the spotting I do. Some times hours sitting on a stump, log, or what ever happens to be there. It does take some getting used to, when acquiring your target, but once on target it is great. I had a straight scope, I could acquire targets faster, after about 15 minutes of spotting the ol neck starts being a pain. The angled scope is also not really great for use with one of those window clamp pod things. I cannot wind my window down far enough to see near horizontal. Having owned both, for what I do, prefer the angled scope.

hunter1947
01-07-2008, 06:10 AM
I use a straight one.

Fisher-Dude
01-07-2008, 07:51 AM
I can't get used to the angled eye-pieces. Aquiring the target is just to flumsy.

:confused::confused::confused: Is that a cross between clumsy and fumble? :lol:

I use a straight. Angled seems like it would be too difficult to find the target. Mine (65HD Swaro) also has an alignment tube on the side to help you get on target faster.

Jonny outdoors
01-07-2008, 08:06 AM
I just bought an angled one and I find it takes a bit more getting use to but seems to work the same.

knighthunter
01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I've owned both and I prefer the straight.

BCrams
01-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Straight is the way to go.

MattB
01-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Id use straight over angled any day. Lots of times you only have a few seconds to look something over before it disappears behind brush, id hate to miss out on something if i was messing around with an angled scope...