PDA

View Full Version : Stone Effort - Number of Years?

BCbillies
01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
It time to start thinking about sheep hunting and booking those weeks off! Just curious to see how many years it took HBC members to get their first Stone.

The stats show that on average, in any given year, success for resident hunters is between 15 and 18%. That would translate into a sheep every 6 or 7 years. Although my partner was successful on our fourth trip I had to wait until the sixth trip. A better indication is the number of days on the mountain, for me it took 35 days. I met a sheep hunter on our fourth trip who said he had been on over a dozen Stone hunts (in decent areas) and had never even seen a full curl to date - I've got to hand it to him for his determination! It all became clearer after our initial discussion and watching the first few days unfold. This fellow came out for an August long weekend Stone hunt and spent the first 3 days in the tent due to the weather. On day four while the weather was clearing he was heading back down the mountain and had to be back at work. For the next 6 days we had great weather, numerous opportunities on mature rams, cut one tag and should of/could of cut two more.:biggrin:

Kody94
01-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Before I answer your question about stones, I'd like to preface it by saying that I have hunted bighorns for more than 10 years (probably between 80 and 100 days in the field) and still haven't taken one.

Ok, stone sheep...I have been ultra lucky...saw my first legal stone ram on the evening of the first day of my first trip (while hiking to where we intended to camp) and shot it the next day (the first actual day of hunting).

My second stone ram is the big one I posted the picture of yesterday. That one was spotted on the first day of my second stone hunt (again while hiking to where I intended to camp). It took 3 days to connect on it though...so in my first four days of Stone sheep hunting I had two rams...and one of them went over 45"'s. Yes, the horseshoes do make it difficult to walk.

As a result, one of my buddies that has never killed a stone (or hunted them for that matter) thinks they are "too easy". :roll: :lol:

I should also qualify these comments by saying that my "scouting" for the second ram took YEARS. I spent a lot of time and $$ researching areas before deciding where I wanted to go. As they say, the better prepared you are and the harder you try, the luckier you get. :biggrin:

I know quite a few guys that have tried 6 or 7 times with no sheep. I even know a few guided clients that had to come back 3 times (ie. 4 trips) to get their stone with an outfitter!

I haven't killed one since the big one....still trying to find one bigger. Will probably be at that for a while. :cool:

Cheers,
4Ster

Shade Tree
01-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I killed my first stone when I was 23 I am now 40 and have hunted sheep every year sometimes twice. I have a stone and a california to my credit. I have also been on two blown stocks on rams over 170 but I also had one year where I never saw a legal ram. This past season I went late in Sept. (not the best time) and was in snow up to my crotch and I while I did see a shooter ram I just couldn't get to him. Next year I guess; to me planning the hunt is just as fun as the hunt so in my spare time I pour over my maps and try to come up with a logical answer when my wife asks me why I bother. I have my spot picked out and the date set, this WILL be the year that heavy broomed buster will be hitt'in the shale. I can hardly wait...

mainland hunter
01-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Good thread, I've hunted Bighorns once with no success and would love to go for stones. Hard to find willing partners but am hoping that this next fall may be the one. I have finally got some of my buddies interested I think

BCrams
01-06-2008, 06:13 PM
It all depends for some people.

I know some guys get their first rams really quick and easy and others take years to get their first ram.

With the exception of the 2007 sheep hunt, I have had the opportunity to shoot legal Stone's sheep rams (some really decent ones at that) just about every single Stone's sheep hunt. A couple partners however took very nice rams on a couple of the trips while I held out.

I've been holding out for a big ram, which is not an easy thing to do.

2007 was the first time I failed to see a legal ram on a sheep hunt.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-06-2008, 06:21 PM
I had a sheep tag in my pocket during mixed bag hunts(mostly caribou and moose) in 2000 and 2003 but never really hunted for them.
First hunted Stone's exclusively in 2004(Aug 1 trip) and took my ram in 2005.
Got lucky and shot my rocky on a day trip in 2001 and got a draw for a cali in 2002 and shot a ram on day 3 of the hunt.

Hmmmmmmmm................................ I think I've had better luck hunting sheep than mulies:roll:.
Next one might take a while:frown:.

SSS

Gateholio
01-06-2008, 06:29 PM
First sheep hunt I went on I missed:lol:

ruttinbuck
01-06-2008, 06:33 PM
[quote=Stone Sheep Steve;226447Hmmmmmmmm............................. ... I think I've had better luck hunting sheep than mulies:roll:.
Next one might take a while:frown:.

SSS[/quote]
I would say you have great luck with the woolies:grin:
3/4 ways through a slam is not a bad place to be with lots of good leg years left.
I shot my cali in my first year of sheep hunting 1994.I have been rocky hunting twice no legal rams found.I have'nt been serious about chasing them now for a few years but looks like that might change this season.I will be either stone or bighorn hunting in Sept.
BTW Steve I was told once to hunt big mulies where you would expect to find big rams...try it.RB

Sitkaspruce
01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
One night, me and a couple of guys that I guided salmon with, sat around haveing a few cold one, planning a hunting trip when one of us mentioned sheep and the North. Well before we knew it it, we were off Sept 20-Oct 03 1990.

What a trip!! Three rams, two big goats (10") and a coffee and cream Blackie that walked into camp and stole my horns and was back for another set. Found mine after an hour, thanks to the Whiskey Jacks. The one who did not get a ram missed one and let another two boarderline ones go.

Here is mine
37.5x37.5x13
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/creatures003.jpg

The others were 41x38 and 36x35.

We have been back a few other times, plus to a few other spots and I have not been able to get a shot at anything bigger.

Sh*t house luck??? You bet, but also we put on a ton of miles and got off the lake, into great sheep country.

Now, if my knees will allow me, I would like one more chance at a ram.

Kody94
01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Got lucky and shot my rocky on a day trip in 2001 and got a draw for a cali in 2002 and shot a ram on day 3 of the hunt.
SSS

Whew. I don't feel so bad about my quick Stones now. Thanks! :D

Cheers,
4Ster

6 K
01-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Three trips in the past four years, one fly-in, one jet boat solo, one hike-in. Twenty days total. Last years' trip we saw the most rams to date 70 so I gather I am looking in the right places but I have yet to lay eyes on a legal ram. Unlike youngfellla I will happly take the first ram God presents to me. You just never know what or when life may no longer permit you to have such adventures:?

1/2 slam
01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Second day of the first trip. 39 x 40. He was with 4 others. One of them was 38. My buddy was waiting at the bottom of the creek. No shot:eek:

Nimrod
01-06-2008, 08:31 PM
First ram was taken on our first trip, buddy and I hiked in 17km 2 days before the season, had the drainage to our selves, we saw a nice band to go after. the first day they were up on an impossible fortress with 2 really good ones. we were to anxious and got busted as they went off the other side. That evening , coming back to camp we saw a group on the other side of the valley with one well over the nose.
shot him at 450 the next evening, that was a fun shot, had time to make a nice rest with rocks, dead still, no angle, waited and waited for the end of the day to bring them down to the grass, after 20 mins of watching him with the group folded him when he was clear and stopped broad side .
The next year we flew in for 2 weeks, found and shot some nice goats, found sheep but no legal ones.
skipped a year then went solo, I took a great ram on the first day, and almost killed myself the next day packing it out.
went on 4 more solo trips where I had shot opportunities on legal Rams each trip but not even close to the big one so held off shooting. ( had some of the most spectacular days glassing and watching bands of sheep and goats with solid high pressure weather for the whole trip, the stuff you never forget)
on 2 of those trips I saw the shooter way back and I'm sure they saw me just by the way they high tailed it out of the drainage never to be seen for the rest of the trip.( those are the times the sheep hunter learns they can see you at 4 km even if your not sky lined)
after a few years off I finally convinced my buddy to come with, day 3 on that hunt we took one each.
every year I try to go , that need to get up on a vantage with the spotter set up watching a band of rams all day, that's as good as it gets for me.

BlacktailStalker
01-06-2008, 08:37 PM
This will be my first.

Lots of mixed results, so here's a question;
What do you look at before deciding to go into an area, I mean really is it pure trial an error for X amount of years until you stumble into a decent area if you have nobody telling you "yeah that area there can be really good, we've taken X rams out of there and seen X quality rams, go there"

Thats my biggest hiccup right now, gathering enough info to feel confident about heading into an area. There's very little i can find on winter/summer ranges, migration etc online too, less than any other game animal.

Sitkaspruce
01-06-2008, 09:24 PM
This will be my first.

Lots of mixed results, so here's a question;
What do you look at before deciding to go into an area, I mean really is it pure trial an error for X amount of years until you stumble into a decent area if you have nobody telling you "yeah that area there can be really good, we've taken X rams out of there and seen X quality rams, go there"

Thats my biggest hiccup right now, gathering enough info to feel confident about heading into an area. There's very little i can find on winter/summer ranges, migration etc online too, less than any other game animal.

One of the the biggest things I look for is a large area that I feel has min access from horse hunters as well as foot. There is some good areas near smaller lakes that have limited access do to their terrain. I look for large hanging valleys with smaller ones off of it. Most non res hunters do not want to get off their horses to hike and only serious sheep hunters will spend a day hiking into one of these areas. Get away from the big lakes and do not be afraid to camp two to three days away from a lake.

Use Google Earth, Map View, Imap etc. Also talk to Biologists, CO's and the like. And do not be afraid to ask around here

One of the areas that we have hunted a few times is a 11 hour hike straight up, around two waterfalls and a sheer cliff. As the crow flies it is only 2 km away, but it is intimidating just to look at.

Of course you also have to be in sheep country:smile:

Orangethunder
01-06-2008, 09:51 PM
I have been up for Stones twice now. The first trip we took a great goat but never found the legal rams. After taking a year off we went back again this year. I got a great caribou and we found some good rams but couldn't seal the deal. Planning again for this year. Just trying to decide if I should do two shorter trips or one more lengthy. We'll see what my wife says when I mention the 'options':lol:!!!

BCbillies
01-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Wow! I can't believe the high early success rates. I look forward to hearing from someone who put in 10+ years and finally bagged one. It took us a few extra years as we started out with little to no sheep knowledge or information from other sheep hunters (they're a pretty tight lipped bunch). We just basically picked a spot on the map and headed in and always found sheep but few rams. My sheep hunts have been low budget, $300 for all gas, food and tags which is pretty darn cheap for this type of hunt - no flyins, ATV's, or boats involved. I am sure I would have done a lot more research early on if I was to drop $2,000 for the hunt.

I may spoil myself for the Dall and do a flyin. This year I plan on a two week bighorn hunt - this will be my first and I will have some assistance from a buddy who has taken three in recent years. I believe success with bighorns is around 5% in any given year! :eek: I'm going to miss hunting Stones but perhaps if I get that Special permit I can do both. :D

boxhitch
01-06-2008, 10:23 PM
I've hunted them for 8 years, numerous days each, and have yet to shoot my ram. Something about Ram Country never wears thin. Will try harder this year.

Krico
01-06-2008, 10:24 PM
With a good amount of preparation, hard work, luck and the help of a great partner I got lucky and bagged mine on my second trip. Hoping to get back out after them again this year!

trail blazer
01-06-2008, 10:47 PM
First of all, we talked about it for 10 years. Then we got serious for a minute and said "If we're going to go, we had better get to it". And like BlackTailStalker, we had no first hand information. Plus this was going to be an econo trip; we were going to hike in. Enthusiasm was plentiful. So we poured over the topos. We picked a spot that we thought looked good. We went for it. We could not believe our eyes, the country was spectacular! Anyhow, the long and short of it, on the second day of hunting, I shot a beautiful ram. We have been going back every second year and have been successful every trip. Sheep steaks taste great after all that dried garb.

Elk-Aholic
01-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Over the period of 6 years, 4 trips, 50+ days hunting for sheep and sheep only, hundreds of miles pounded through the bush, I finally connected on my first stone with my dad by my side. I could not be happier and the smile still today has not worn off my face. In other words, don't ever give up for you who have not yet connected on a ram. You won't shoot one sitting here reading this now will you?

ryanb
01-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I would love to hunt sheep one day, but it's one of those hunts that you can't, or at least shoudn't, do on your own. I find it hard enough to find a partner to hunt down south, let alone someone who wants to or can do the travelling, hiking, and work involved with a sheep hunt.

Maybe we should start a sheep hunting partner classifieds on HBC.

srupp
01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
HMMMMM absolutley embarrassed to admit that after 15 years I am still stonelss in BC...:frown:...some years even 2 trips..like last fall..just was never meant to be for me....and I HAVE had some EXELLENT help and advice over the years also..close but no cigar....

Stoneless Steven

bigwhiteys
01-06-2008, 11:36 PM
My first year hunting Stones I laid on a mountainside above a tiny little grassy bowl watching 13 rams feed at about 70 yards. After a long time watching them closeup we passed on the legals in the bunch... My partner was having 2nd thoughts, I was perma-grinned...

We've watched legal rams every year but like YoungFella I am not a Sheep Killer. I'll hunt until I've found THE ram. This isn't an animal I need to go out and kill several of to prove anything. My dad waited 25 years to cut his tag on an awesome ram... I know another who waited 23 years. Both men who spent their lives getting rams for other people. I've still got lots of time and no shortage of places to hunt. Sadly I may never get to all of them in my lifetime.

Finding a good trustworthy and serious partner can be the toughest part... This last hunt I think I found a partner who will definitely go the distance. That alone gives me high hopes for next year!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

bcmulie
01-06-2008, 11:44 PM
I was lucky on my first trip for Stone's sheep and shot a 12-1/2 year old ram. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, and didn't realize at the time how blessed I'd been. It took me six trips after that before I was able to take my second ram, but by then I knew a heck of a lot more than I did on my first trip. Haven't been north for Stone's since 2002...must be time to go again.

bcmulie

Stone Sheep Steve
01-07-2008, 07:23 AM
I've hunted them for 8 years, numerous days each, and have yet to shoot my ram. Something about Ram Country never wears thin. Will try harder this year.

Don't give up Boxhitch. I'm sure you'll figure them out very soon;).

SSS

Flinch
01-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Managed to get on my second year trying. Took 11 days with a pack on to do it, but worth every step.

rifleman
01-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I Had A Draw Up North A Few Years Ago & Got A Nice Ram On The First Day. I Also Shot A Dall Sheep Befor That. Sheep Hunting Is The Ultimate Hunt To Go On. I Haven't Been For Awhile So I Think Next Year Will Be The Year To Go. Gunna Try For Leh Areas.

boxhitch
01-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I Had A Draw Up North A Few Years Ago & Got A Nice Ram On The First Day. ....................
............... Gunna Try For Leh Areas.
really ? For Stone's sheep ?

Stone Sheep Steve
01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
really ? For Stone's sheep ?

Atlin area no doubt?

SSS

Shade Tree
01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Could be Spatzi or Edziza too. Now Edziza would be a worthwhile draw...

6 K
01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
One of the greatest privileges we have while hunting is our right to pass. It takes discipline and control. Each of us has parameters that we use to decide whether or not we take any given animal. As for myself, number of days left in the season, amount of game being found, opportunity to hunt that species again in the year, size of that species of animal already taken, emptiness of the freezer all factor in that decision.

Sheep and I do not live in the same area therefore I am lucky to get one trip per year. I have yet to tag one and feel I have put in a solid effort thus far so when the opportunity to take a legal ram presents itself, I will do whatever I can to take him. In my previous statement I was only trying to show my willingness/eagerness to harvest any legal specimen of the species. Not to slam any hunter looking for an/the animal that fits their criteria. Sorry if I worded it incorrectly. :oops:

boxhitch
01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Atlin area no doubt?

SSSJust that I don't think Atlin will be a one day hunt anymore.

boxhitch
01-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Now Edziza would be a worthwhile draw...Now That could be a one day'er.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Could be Spatzi or Edziza too. Now Edziza would be a worthwhile draw...
Of course:redface:.
Both those areas have some dandy rams but low success rates. No doubt thanks to outfitter "influence";-).

SSS

Ramshot
01-07-2008, 11:12 PM
BCBillies,
You boys coming down for Bighorns this fall? Did you get my e-mail? Got my first stone on my second trip for thinhorns. Need a Dall for my BC Slam:smile:. Whatcha say BCBillies, wanna group hunt for them white sheep?

BCbillies
01-08-2008, 01:39 AM
BCBillies,
You boys coming down for Bighorns this fall? Did you get my e-mail? Got my first stone on my second trip for thinhorns. Need a Dall for my BC Slam:smile:. Whatcha say BCBillies, wanna group hunt for them white sheep?

Ramshot - Got your email, I will give you call asap. I understand how life issues can get in the way of hunting.:sad: Was hoping you could come up in November during the rut as the skiies cleared and I was freed up for a stretch. Goats all down low, perfect conditions, and a real dandy came out of the spot! I was begging for anyone with the tag to show up at my door step. I know it's one heck of drive for you guys in the winter. Tag still good until Feb 28th - but goats won't be as concentrated in one area then.

Nice work in getting the 3/4 BC Slam and still your best years ahead of you. I keep flipp flopping between the Dall and the Rocky and could go either way. If I wasn't a Stones hunter yet, I sure would be after the early results of this poll. Can't believe the high success rates - must be a bunch of determined, hardcore sheep hunters on HBC with a little luck on their sides.:wink: Other than Srupp, it appears that most hunters either give up after 8 seasons of trying or MUMs the word.:confused: By the way Srupp we're all rooting for you, gonna be some kind of celebration in the Puddle when it happens. You've got some dandy bighorns on the wall though!

GoatGuy
01-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Just that I don't think Atlin will be a one day hunt anymore.

If it's a hunt at all.:mad:

newhunterette
01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
This past year I purchased a beautiful spotting scope for Peter for an anniversary/birthday gift as he has set his sights on adding sheep hunting to his list of things to do - for this year 2008 I had started planning a surprise fly in trip for him but a group of buds he has have invited him this year to join thier well seasoned annual hike in sheep trip during the same time I was booking for him - he has waited a long time for this invite so who am I to take that trip of a lifetime away - gives me more time to save up for something else for him this year - so for him he is a work in progress as a sheep hunter

be prepared for me to bend a few ears on gathering information to make his trip the best possible and hope I can add his years of experience one day to a poll of this kind.

For me sheep hunting will never be an option but learning and planning and researching about it will be wonderful enough

Alison

Stone Sheep Steve
01-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Reg 6 rework in progress??

SSS

Kitimat Killer
01-08-2008, 01:54 PM
well after 4 years i finally got my stone after passing one up in 2004 not to sure if it was legal then luck anough to take a big rocky this fall to boot im sure hooked 1/2 slam for me going to put in for dalls this year can't waight for the season if no draw im going back for stones i can't miss a year

Stone Sheep Steve
01-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure about the rest of you guys but I can contribute my early success to my friends and partners. You can have all the enthusiasm, passion and drive in the world but it sure helps to use it in the right direction:smile:.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
01-10-2008, 11:10 AM

Now I see over on HS that the outfitter sold to the "Greeenies"??? :mad:

Let's hope the residents can pick up the slack.
Anyone know which group bought it??

SSS

daycort
01-10-2008, 11:44 AM
still trying and this year I am going in for 14 days hell or high water. I am also going to be in the best shape I have been in since high school. I get first shot as my partner has a stones sheep already. And then we will go see if we can find those big horns my partner missed last year(I couldn't go we were having another baby).

daycort
01-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Are you guys talking about the area Dennis Beatie use to own up at Atlin? My brother guided up there.

BCbillies
01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure about the rest of you guys but I can contribute my early success to my friends and partners. You can have all the enthusiasm, passion and drive in the world but it sure helps to use it in the right direction:smile:.

SSS

Well said. Usually requires the full package - physical, mental, passion, etc. My partner(s) and I initially started out green with little info (no X's on the map) and perhaps not quite enough drive so the success was not so early. After each hunt all aspects improved for the next hunt. I really admire those guys who can't always find a partner or their partner jams out last minute and they go solo. Takes a special breed to head out for 10 days solo in the mountains and keep the focus. Last years sheep hunt was with a friend who at times hunts solo for sheep, goat, grizzly, etc. They typically have a strong mind and can hold their own. I'd go back with him in a heartbeat.

358mag
01-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Over the period of 6 years, 4 trips, 50+ days hunting for sheep and sheep only, hundreds of miles pounded through the bush, I finally connected on my first stone with my dad by my side. I could not be happier and the smile still today has not worn off my face. In other words, don't ever give up for you who have not yet connected on a ram. You won't shoot one sitting here reading this now will you?
pictures ??????????

358mag
01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
maybe you should try a diff area !!!!!!!!!

livingston
01-10-2008, 10:50 PM
I went on my first stone hunt last season and even though we only saw maybe two small rams (through the spotting scope) as well as ewes and lambs, it was an awesome experience.
The scenery up there is unbeatable and the amount of wildlife running around is unbelievable.

I was invited along by my hunting partner who has been on numerous sheep hunts and knows the area well.If I had to start from scratch with no help on areas to hunt I could see how it would take 7-8 years to bag a sheep.
As we found out it is hard to go off a map and pick an area, it looks completely different when you get there and the size of the mountains we were targeting was alot bigger than we thought.
I can't wait for next year's hunt already and I am starting to train with my backpack already for next season.:smile:

whitetailsheds
01-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Livingstone, I can attest to how infectious sheep hunting is. The first year I was able to hunt in BC (coming from Alberta), I was hooked just by the country I was in, "looking" for stone rams. I was totally on my own. After 13 tries over as many years, I have still not cut a tag. The primary reason I feel I have not had success was optics. I was not able to LOOK over those hills well enough. I saw immatures, but they were the ones that ran out in front of me 60 yards away. And, in hindsight, I probably had a legal or two ram in front of me, but once again, without good optics, they walked as I could not properly judge them.
And the patience to sit and watch, just to wait for something to move around. I love walking. I'd look over some hills for a few minutes with my cheap optics and get up and go. I've learned to sit and glass. Glass some more, and again.
Even been to spots with successful sheep hunters and to areas where successful sheep hunters have sent me, but still no luck. Part of the game, learn not to have expectations of success.
The alpine country, the challenge of getting around in those hills either with a partner or solo (done a couple of those), and the chase, are what keep me going after those rams. My time in those hills and valleys will always be regarded highly, no regrets 'cause I didn't have this or that! I'm not quitting 'till my knees tell me to!!!! Hmmmmm.....and even then......

Elk-Aholic
01-12-2008, 12:23 PM
pictures ??????????

They won't let me post pictures of sheep that small. I may have the CI guys trying to track me down:razz:

GoatGuy
01-12-2008, 12:30 PM
They won't let me post pictures of sheep that small. I may have the CI guys trying to track me down:razz:

Just a dink, just a dink!:wink:

Elk-Aholic
01-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Just a dink, just a dink!:wink:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-12-2008, 01:42 PM
If you want, I could scan the pic from the WSSBC mag and post it for you??:razz: It's already public property:smile:.
Just a dink? Ya, right:wink:!

SSS

mwj
01-12-2008, 08:12 PM
this is my first ram from many years ago. my dad took me hunting for california bighorns for some oddball reason like it didn't interfere with my schooling. being older now it seems to me that going hunting is a great education for a young guy. anyway we had 2 horses, sandy and gringo which we hung most of our gear on and hiked in leading the horses, that was the day before opening. the opening day was socked in, my dad said lets head out anyway so we did, about an hour or so later we'd come out on a southern facing grassy slope which was still fogged in. dad said that we should wait here for a while. well it wasn't 15 minutes before the fog started clearing and there on the next ridge 2 full curls! must have been buck fever cause i missed at 90 yards broadside more than once. we watched that big ram go down into the ravine and strait uphill over the next mountain at warp speed. that was my first ever day of sheep hunting and i was hooked! the second day we went back to the same spot. the other ram from the day before had gone the opposite way as the first ram i shot at. while we searched for that "second" big ram we came across another small band of rams one of which was legal and my dad told me so but i told him i wanted that "big one". i was such a newb! anyway as luck would have it a while later we spotted the "big one from yesterday". i tried my hardest to get a non-shakey bead on him but no way so i sat down and guess what? i couldn't see him! when i stood back up he was on the move. dad said it's going to cross that gully on that trail get ready, you'ed better lead him by about 6 feet--- boom! but he kept going. dad said run to the top of that ridge- i'll check his trail and so away i went and being young and fit crested that ridge in under a minute no ram to be seen! after what seemed like hours my dad appeared below me and waved me down. i got almost down to him before i realized why. there lay an awesome full curl califoria bighorn on the trail. day 2 of my entire sheep hunting experience. it was 11.5 years old and mounted by steve kulash.

mwj
01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
oops i wrote so long the pic was kicked off......
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/california_bighorn_001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7662&size=big&cat=500)

mwj
01-12-2008, 08:59 PM
i am getting towards the original posting of how long did it take to get your first stone however in my sheep quest the rocky mountain took the longest. as per the last post i thought it was going to be easy. on my very first rckymnt ram hunt my buddy spots a ram broomed off as big as a beer bottle at least 2 inches past it's nose! took us all day to get into position and he missed! still haunts him to this day i'm sure. didn't even want to post that. however after many miffed stalks ect. "don't ask me about the one that got away". i manageged to harvest this ram!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/rocky_mountain_bighrn_001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7665&size=big&cat=500)

mwj
01-12-2008, 09:58 PM
here's my stone ram. not that many trips but literally wore boots out over 4years. in the end spotted him right off the hiway. headed in after him at daylight the next day got back to my truck at dusk. this ram changed my perspective about broomed off rams. this ram is only 6 years old and his long side is 38"by 14"http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/stone_ram_0011.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7667&size=big&cat=500)

mwj
01-12-2008, 10:56 PM
for those who were wondering, yes i perservered. on my second hunt for b.c. dall i connected with a 12.5 year old ram measuring 151. unfortunatly these horns were stolen. i'd really want them back and at this point there's still a $2500 dollar reward for safe return no questions asked.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/last_ram_001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7670)

bruin
01-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Some great rams MWJ, I wish in my lifetime. Looks like some tough country of the dall. By the way, what is on your forehead on that last pic?:D

mwj
01-12-2008, 11:47 PM
hi stone sheep steve
my cali is in my previous post. cheers mark

mwj
01-13-2008, 12:01 AM
hey bruin
i knew it was going to hurt. there was a group of 5 dalls slowly working their way uphill from us after considerable disscussion the lead ram was deamed legal both by age and horn curl but when i tried to get the crosshairs on him it was almost immpossible. ended up putting the forestock on a rock and the but of the rifle very low in my shoulder and pulled the trigger, ouch!. however the ram didn't flinch buddy says your low. ouch again! now i can feel blood running down into my eye but i have to shoot again and ouch again the river is running now but the ram is down. 400+yards and i'm glad i don't have to shoot again

6 K
01-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Hey mjw!
Not to change the topic of the thead but "unfortuneatly these horns were stollen" :shock: HOLY HOPPING HORNY TOADS BATMAN !!!!:shock: you mind telling us the details of this hanis crime? How did it go down? I think I'd be offering a $2500 reward to any one serving me the thief's head on a stick, no questons asked.

Schutzen
01-13-2008, 12:27 AM
First sheep hunt I went on I missed:lol:

Hey now I remember that we put in for the same area I think. So how was it? No sheep or no luck?

Stone Sheep Steve
01-13-2008, 07:28 AM
hi stone sheep steve
my cali is in my previous post. cheers mark

Of course:redface:. My memory is only about 5 mins long these days. I've got to get rid of the aluminum cookware:redface:.

SSS

358mag
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
If you want, I could scan the pic from the WSSBC mag and post it for you??:razz: It's already public property:smile:.

SSS
ples do been waiting for 2 years for the pictures looks of talk but no prof

Gateholio
01-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Hey now I remember that we put in for the same area I think. So how was it? No sheep or no luck?

It was a challenging shot, I didn't htink it through well enough. Shot over him. When I figured out the angle/shot, he was sanding wiht some ewes. To risky to shoot.:cry:

srupp
01-14-2008, 12:18 AM
man this stone sheep stuff is getting under my skin..been out and seen Cali sheep lately..a couple of really good ones but I also have a Drs meeting with a neurologist regarding my leg...my chances for stoners is getting slim indeed..sigh maybe Mr. stonechaser was right for some it wasnt meant to be..or something along those lines..

Steven

bigwhiteys
01-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I also have a Drs meeting with a neurologist regarding my leg...my chances for stoners is getting slim indeed..sigh maybe Mr. stonechaser was right for some it wasnt meant to be..or something along those lines..

Steven I know someone who guided stone sheep with two prosthetic legs... And was successful. I know another who was in a motor cycle accident that wrote off one leg... They were going to amputate because the leg was so messed up... 2 years later and with a pile of metal in his leg he was on the mountain again, guiding sheep and even took his own ram.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

BCrams
01-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Srupp -

I wouldn't give up on a Stone! You may have to revise where and how you will hunt, but I think a Stone's ram is still possible.

Brambles
01-14-2008, 09:56 AM
man this stone sheep stuff is getting under my skin..been out and seen Cali sheep lately..a couple of really good ones but I also have a Drs meeting with a neurologist regarding my leg...my chances for stoners is getting slim indeed..sigh maybe Mr. stonechaser was right for some it wasnt meant to be..or something along those lines..

Steven

Get a rickshaw and hire some sherpas. :razz:

srupp
01-14-2008, 12:39 PM
hmmm you guys are INSANE..an I LOVE IT...LMAO..

just cuz I cant feel the leg doesnt mean I cant use it..year #16 coming up..

Steven

Recordram
01-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I would like to say that this is my ram, but it is not. I was the guide on this trip. I had spotted this ram on Sept 7th where I had been guiding a fellow for moose and caribou. My new hunter came in a week later. We found the ram on Sept 21 and were able to seal the deal. This ram is probably the biggest Stone's Ram I will ever see. He measured 43 inches on one side and 41 inches on his broomed off side. He also had 15 inch bases. I feel a great privelage to have been apart of this hunt. I guess you have to be in the right place at the right time.

trail blazer
01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Recordram, do you know how he scored and are there any other pics?

Recordram
01-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah, he scored 178 1/8 SCI after the two month drying period. I have been trying to upload more photos. I don't know how to compress the photos to be able to be uploaded for this site. I will keep trying.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah, he scored 178 1/8 SCI after the two month drying period. I have been trying to upload more photos. I don't know how to compress the photos to be able to be uploaded for this site. I will keep trying.

Beauty!!:shock::shock:
BC or Yukon??

SSS

Recordram
01-14-2008, 07:27 PM
British Columbia. Stikine Area.

BlacktailStalker
01-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Lookin forward to the pics, congats on being there. Nobody would have taken that ram if it werent for your scouting (well seeing it)
I hope he tipped well.

Elk-Aholic
01-16-2008, 12:26 AM

SSS

If I had the capabilities to make the picture smaller to post it I would but I'm not that talented with a keyboard. It's hard enough just turning on the computer, haha.:wink:

GoatGuy
01-16-2008, 09:07 AM
If I had the capabilities to make the picture smaller to post it I would but I'm not that talented with a keyboard. It's hard enough just turning on the computer, haha.:wink:

Your years in univ were obviously well spent chasing girls.

Email 'em to me again I'll put em up for ya.

Elk-Aholic
01-16-2008, 04:42 PM

Done. You should have them. And yes my years spent in university were well spent....if I wasn't hunting chasing critters then I was during school, at least someone has to do it;-).

GoatGuy
01-16-2008, 06:33 PM
here ya go buddy

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Stone_Sheep.jpg

Shade Tree
01-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Beautiful ram...well worth the wait.

tuchodi
01-16-2008, 07:39 PM
I was lucky and got mine the first year we went up for stones which was 1974. I have been with friends many times since and they have had good luck every time but I have never shot a second one "my choice". I personally think one per person is enought.

bruin
01-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Wow, thats a great sheep. No ground shrinkage for you!!

358mag
01-16-2008, 08:23 PM

jezz sure hope all the years at univ chasing then hard bodys and drinking beer were on his $$$$ not his parents$$$

trail blazer
01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
wow, a fine looking ram! Are you going to try and top that one?

Elk-Aholic
01-17-2008, 08:05 PM
wow, a fine looking ram! Are you going to try and top that one?

In my opinion, I don't need to shoot 10 stone's to prove anything. It's the hunt for them which is what it's all about, not so much the actual harvest, though they do taste great! I will go on several more trips because I love the time spent in the bush. I mean, I'm not complaining but spending time in the middle of no where, no phones, no vehicles, no roads, no politicians, with the people you enjoy in wide open country is what makes the trip. The icing on the cake is the sheep. But the next one will have to be something special, definitly bigger. Something way up there knocking on the 175's or truely unique.

trail blazer
01-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Elk-Aholic ,I wasn't talking about proving anything, I was just wondering if you were going to continue sheep hunting but it looks like you answered my question. Anyhow I agree with the rest of your take on sheep hunting.

Elk-Aholic
01-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Elk-Aholic ,I wasn't talking about proving anything, I was just wondering if you were going to continue sheep hunting but it looks like you answered my question. Anyhow I agree with the rest of your take on sheep hunting.

My bad trail blazer, I wasn't trying to knock or disrespect you in any way, shape or form. I just felt like saying my point of view on stone sheep hunting. Nothing against what you said. I will never stop hunting them, just the shooting part may be few and far between. I just hope we are able to continue hunting stone's, heck and even hunting in general, so our kids and their kid's grandchildren can enjoy and treasure what we are able to do in this day and age.

358mag
01-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Time to get off the fence and tell my story of a Virgin sheep hunter
Went on my first Stone's sheep hunt in Aug of 1993 < jezz how time flys> not only my first sheep hunt but my first backpacking hunt .Still remeber the feeling in the bottom of my gut watching the Beaver float plane start up and taxi anyway from the shore , looking at my backpack and saying to my bubby jezz sure hope we have everything!!To make a long story short what a trip ,2 hard days of hiking off the lake into sheep country ,seen over 50 rams took a 38x13 9 year old ram on the 4 day of the trip my buddy got a beauty 39x14 30"tip-tip 10 year old ram on the 5day .Been back into Stone's sheep country 5 more times ,havent pop another primer at a ram but cant wait to go again as long as the the goverment and the leftwing a*holes -tree huggers dont screw it up.
Cheers

358mag
02-05-2008, 10:21 PM
here ya go buddy

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Stone_Sheep.jpg
nice ram Goat Guy were did you get it:?:

BCbillies
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
One of the nicest looking rams I've seen! Length and spread?

GoatGuy
02-06-2008, 07:52 AM
nice ram Goat Guy were did you get it:?:

Not mine, it's elk-aholics - I'm not half as ugly as that guy and I actually work for a living.

It was shot up Notellum Valley behind Secret Sheep Lake. ;)

springpin
02-06-2008, 08:57 AM
I have never hunted sheep, but it does sound like alot of fun hard work. One day I'll step up to the challenge.

Elk-Aholic
02-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Not mine, it's elk-aholics - I'm not half as ugly as that guy and I actually work for a living.

Actually Goat Guy, I saw your picture in the Guiness Book of World Records for the ugliest white man alive. I may be second, but at least I'm not first in that category.

That ram was actually shot off the main highway, taking a left on "Another dirt road", driving about a 6-pack of beer for distance, then taking the next right on "that's a road?" travelling down that for a quick 2 beers. Park the truck and then hike up "you've got to be kidding me hill" and your in the right area.

358mag
02-14-2008, 08:52 PM

sorry to hear that, rumor had that you spotted that ram on a fly by with the 727 callmelater cargo plane