PDA

View Full Version : Is a PAL needed?

happygilmore
01-06-2008, 09:12 AM
My brother brought this to my attention and I wonder if it floats?
Inside your BC Hunting Licence on the first page it says
This licence intitles you you carry a firearm...
He doen't have his Pal but want's to hunt and thinks he's found a loophole, I told him they'll nail his butt... what's your opinion?

sparkes3
01-06-2008, 09:32 AM
screw loopholes get your papers then nobody can say anything

Steeleco
01-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Your hunting licence is a provincial regulation. The need for a PAL is FEDERAL!
You can carry a gun without a hunting licence but NOT the other way around.
Your right, his butt will get nailed, and the rifle he's carrying will be owned, BY THEM!!

Fisher-Dude
01-06-2008, 09:38 AM
A PAL or POL is needed.

3kills
01-06-2008, 09:41 AM
but if he is hunting with some one with a pal can he not use there rifle??

Steeleco
01-06-2008, 09:47 AM
but if he is hunting with some one with a pal can he not use there rifle??

Under "Direct supervision" I'd not want to get stopped a 1/2 click from the guy with the PAL/POL or stopped alone in the truck on your to the bush. The latter is quite likely to happen one day.

Scottish Warrior
01-06-2008, 09:55 AM
CO's generally do not enforce federal firearms laws but the RCMP certainly do. He may legally use a firearm for hunting with a hunting license and no PAL if he is with a PAL holder but there is so much room for officer interpretation of the situation it unnecessarily playing with fire. Challenge the exam and get the PAL in plenty of time for spring bear.

happygilmore
01-06-2008, 10:01 AM
That's what I figured but he's a little.... well young! His problem is he might not be able to get his PAL because he got into a bar fight a couple years ago and has been charged and plead guilty to assault so he has a criminal record.

threedhunter
01-06-2008, 10:13 AM
:roll:if you read the regs, it sez, you must e accompanied by someone 19 years or older , with a valid hunting license to hunt.if you ae over 18 years of age , and you are in possession of a firearm, ymust have a valid pal/pol.the co may not enforce the fed rules but he may have a rcmp, customsor other fed agent with/accompaniing him/her that can land you in trouble.not often are they forgiving as we have had many years to become aware of these laws.also please read page 9 of the current regs, it states
"a bc hunting license does not give authority to carry a firearm.":roll::eek: he may hunt with a bow/xbow by himself if he is over 19.

trailhunter
01-06-2008, 10:34 AM
CO's generally do not enforce federal firearms laws

nope................they will nail you as well just ask my dad. CO's are ruthless snakes that love to nail everyone that they can. Its an insecurity issue from not being able to make it into the police academy.

rifleman
01-06-2008, 11:02 AM
nope................they will nail you as well just ask my dad. CO's are ruthless snakes that love to nail everyone that they can. Its an insecurity issue from not being able to make it into the police academy.

please don't paint all CO's with the same brush. I have witnessed & heard of hunters making a mistake befor & the CO pointed out the mistake so It could be corrected . There might even be CO's reading this & your comment will just piss them off. Some of them are hunters also.

butcher
01-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Okay, what happened to your dad? I gotta know.

Gateholio
01-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Riiiiight.............:rolleyes::roll:

Elkhound
01-06-2008, 11:37 AM
My wife has not put in all the paperwork yet for her PAL. She uses my rifle. As long as I am with her it is not a problem to carry it while she is hunting with her own hunting lisence.

Johnny G1
01-06-2008, 12:02 PM
All I was told by the local Constable was , I best have all my paper work with me if I'm out in the bush or the guns go with her.
She meant my license, my Pol, and the papers for the gun. And she was not kidding. Just my thoughts.

tomahawk
01-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by trailhunter http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=226275#post226275)

I am not a CO but I would like to comment on your quote.

I respect that we all have opinions and you certainly have yours. I also understand that from birth it is the day to day events and teachings in our life that in the end make us who we are and what we stand up for. If we are brought up to respect others in what they stand for or do for a living we have a better chance of that respect being instilled in ourselves. In the case of most of us guys that have been blessed with having a dad in our lives it is he who is usually the greatest influence on who we will be. I know that it was for me and assume that it was for you as well.

The world is a big place and needs to have rules and regulations in order for us all to live in relative harmony. With respect to Wildlife that job is entrusted to the CO's. If we as hunters of that wildlife keep our noses clean, have respect for all wildlife and learn the regulations to hunt them the CO's will respect that we have the right to hunt and leave you alone.

I have been hunting for over 40 years and have been stopped by CO's on numerous occassions and never been charged with anything! However, thay are human and I will say that I have met some really nice CO's, but I also have met some that have attitudes and think their s##t don't stink.

mntman
01-06-2008, 12:18 PM
please don't paint all CO's with the same brush. I have witnessed & heard of hunters making a mistake befor & the CO pointed out the mistake so It could be corrected . There might even be CO's reading this & your comment will just piss them off. Some of them are hunters also.

all the co's i have meet have been great, always wishing good luck and talking about the game in the area

your friend is best to get their papers even with a record you can still get your pol take the test or go o the course

happygilmore
01-06-2008, 12:30 PM
count to 10 trail hunter... thanks for the input guys...let the post die:tongue: before the pot gets stirred

OOBuck
01-06-2008, 12:32 PM
My wife has not put in all the paperwork yet for her PAL. She uses my rifle. As long as I am with her it is not a problem to carry it while she is hunting with her own hunting lisence.

Hummm, not really, "buy" "borrow" or "obtain"

A hunting license don't supersede the need of a POL or PAL..

If you don't have a POL or PAL you are not suppose to be in possession
of a firearm.

Elkhound
01-06-2008, 12:36 PM
of a firearm.

that means you could never take a friend to the range and let them hold and shoot your firearm based on that.

Will
01-06-2008, 12:52 PM
that means you could never take a friend to the range and let them hold and shoot your firearm based on that.
Or allow your 10 Year old Junior Hunters to carry firearms while they Hunt ??? :roll:

Yes anyone can carry a Firearm without a POL or PAL under the Direct Supervision of the person responsible for the firearm..pretty simple :wink:

Stump
01-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Here is my ? If my wife had a lic. 35 years ago is she still able to aquire one now without taking a core program? thanks for the replys

Wildfoot
01-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Here is my ? If my wife had a lic. 35 years ago is she still able to aquire one now without taking a core program? thanks for the replys

you can challenge the exam.

tomahawk
01-06-2008, 01:32 PM
If my wife had a lic. 35 years ago is she still able to aquire one now without taking a core program?

Yes if she has a Resident Hunter Number.

RMG
01-06-2008, 07:29 PM
My brother brought this to my attention and I wonder if it floats?
Inside your BC Hunting Licence on the first page it says
This licence intitles you you carry a firearm...
He doen't have his Pal but want's to hunt and thinks he's found a loophole, I told him they'll nail his butt... what's your opinion?

Not sure where you or your brother read this but, my copy states

FEDERAL FIREARMS
LEGISLATION
A BC hunting licence does not give
authority to carry a firearm.
For information on the Canadian Firearm
Licence, contact Canadian Firearm Centre
1-800-731-4000 or visit the website at

www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca (http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca)

In the days of the old FAC, you had to have a valid BC hunting license, to carry a firearm. I had a muzzleloader taken from me, by the CO's way back when, because I didnt have one. While I traveling back home from the range, had an FAC, but no hunting license. No fine or anything, just a stiff warning and had to go get a license to get the muzzleloader back. Then one could also by a permit to carry a firearm which was good for 5 years.

OOBuck
01-06-2008, 07:35 PM

Correct. Theoretically he/she is not allowed. The range is one thing out hunting??? To each his own I guess...:cool:

Dirty
01-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Yes if she has a Resident Hunter Number.

Even if she doesn't (lost it etc.) have her resident hunter number she can still get a license. All she has to do is go to a Government agent and sign an acknowledgement form stating the loss of the number. They will either look up her old number or issue her a new one.

mud-dog27
01-06-2008, 07:44 PM

i gotta completely disagree ive yet to meet an asshole CO half the time we just wind up BSin bout the area he'll tell us what the game are up to and be on his way wishin us luck.....cops on the other hand.....

Mauser98
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Hummm, not really, "buy" "borrow" or "obtain"

A hunting license don't supersede the need of a POL or PAL..

of a firearm.

Not entirely correct.

There is provision in the Firearms Act to lend a firearm to a person without a Firearms Licence if that person is under the direct and immediate supervison of a Licence holder.

Authorized Lending

Authorization to lend
33. Subject to section 34, a person may lend a firearm only if

(a) the person

(i) has reasonable grounds to believe that the borrower holds a licence authorizing the borrower to possess that kind of firearm, and

(ii) lends the borrower the registration certificate for the firearm, except in the case of a borrower who uses the firearm to hunt or trap in order to sustain himself or herself or his or her family; or

(b) the borrower uses the firearm under the direct and immediate supervision of the person in the same manner in which the person may lawfully use it.

Kirby
01-06-2008, 07:55 PM

LMAO sure sure:lol::roll: I know several CO's and have dealt with numerous CO's in the bush, had one bad incident, the rest have been great. You obviously don't know the CO's, all the CO's I know didn't want to work the streets, they wanted to be CO's.

Here is a tip, if you act like an asshole, your gonna get treated like one. I've had CO's give me a warning twice over the years, never been ticketed by one.

Kirby

Fisher-Dude
01-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Yeah right, the COs go around making things up to bust your poor old dad. Gimme a friggin' break! :roll:

This sounds like a recent incident on Kelowna's westside. Some lady writes a letter to Castanet chastizing the COs as being a "nuisance" to her husband while he and his friend are out hunting. She griped that the CO "didn't even know how to open her husband's rifle action" and that "he obviously needed training". She said the CO should leave her husband alone and go look for whomever shot and left an illegal moose in the area.

Well, as it turns out, the CO checked this woman's husband who just happened to be on his quad with a loaded forearm, as was his buddy. The CO, when checking this guy's old military surplus rifle that had a bolt detent, remarked "I've never seen an action on a rifle like this before".

So, when the truth comes out and this woman's husband was actually a POACHER for riding with a loaded gun, it's not the CO who needed training after all. The sour grapes that POACHERS have for breaking the law leads them to bad mouth the COs.

As for your assinine comment about COs not making the police academy, I think it can be summed up the same way I feel about things: I'd rather deal with a grizzly bear than a crack addict anyday. :wink:

r106
01-06-2008, 08:12 PM
when I took my pal course in sept. the instructor said " you can hunt with a firearm without your pal or pol as long as you have a hunting license and are in dirrect supervision with some one who has there pal or pol " He also said there is alot of grey area as to what is direct supervision. Is 5 feet ok 50 feet?

best to get all of your own paper work and save the hasle
________
Dodge 500 Specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_500)

Big7
01-07-2008, 06:21 AM

Opinions are like aholes, everybody has 'em, just some of them are a little crappier than others.

I guess if you're a shady, illegal character, CO's would seem like snakes...or your just bitter 'cuz your family's been busted for doing something wrong and/or your bitter you didn't make the cut for the police academy or CO core. Of course they will nail you if you do something wrong...that's thier job...to keep people from breaking hunting and fishing regulations!

KevinB
01-07-2008, 11:08 AM
He also said there is alot of grey area as to what is direct supervision. Is 5 feet ok 50 feet?

I guess I would just try to put myself in the shoes of a CO/RCMP officer or Judge and try to think of what would be a "reasonable" interpretation from their point of view... for these purposes, I think it would be reasonable to consider "direct supervision" to be just that...direct. I.E. you should be close enough to be able to know exactly what they are doing with the firearm at all times, and close enough to basically instruct their every move...after all, from a legal point of view, they have no formal training in firearm safety/operation. To me that translates to being pretty much beside them or within a few feet. Yeah there is some grey area, but why push it?

Would you be happy to have someone who didn't have enough basic firearms safety knowledge to be able to pass the PAL exam, to be 50 feet away from you, in the bush, with a loaded rifle? If they do actually have those skills/knowledge, then they should just go get their PAL - it isn't that difficult to challenge the exam.

Will
01-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Correct. Theoretically he/she is not allowed. The range is one thing out hunting??? To each his own I guess...:cool:
Again I will add this......
Junior hunters can have a Hunting license when they turn 10...yet they are not allowed to have a POL or PAL.

How do you suppose they are to Hunt ?

Anyone with a Hunting License can carry a firearm without a POL or PAL while under the supervision of the person responsible for the firearm....the POL or PAL holder.

It is not to each his own...this is the Law.
Clear now;)

Dannybuoy
01-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I am just curious if anyone has ever been asked to show his/her PAL or POL ? Anytime I have been stopped by a CO (which have always been just regular guys/gals doing their jobs ) I have only been asked to see my hunting licence and check my firearm . Also I tried to use my PAL as I.D. once at the gov access center and they wouldnt accept it as valid picture I.D.
btw I am new to this site ( first post )

frenchbar
01-08-2008, 05:55 PM
In my 35 yrs of hunting ive only been checked by the C.O maybe 4 times .ive yet to be asked for my pal/pol.

358win
01-08-2008, 06:17 PM
I am just curious if anyone has ever been asked to show his/her PAL or POL ? Anytime I have been stopped by a CO (which have always been just regular guys/gals doing their jobs ) I have only been asked to see my hunting licence and check my firearm . Also I tried to use my PAL as I.D. once at the gov access center and they wouldnt accept it as valid picture I.D.
btw I am new to this site ( first post )

Welcome Dannybuoy.
I have only been asked when I purchase firearms or ammo at the local hangout. Noone else seems to care.

Will
01-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Asked for my PAL...RCMP road check...they could see the mountain of Firearms my bud and I had in the back when we pulled up ! Hes just asked "Coming back from the range?" I said "Yup"
Showed him my PAL and we were on our way:cool:
That was about 5-6 years ago. As a rule CO's do not check Firearm licensing....but they can;)

Fisher-Dude
01-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Asked for my PAL...RCMP road check...they could see the mountain of Firearms my bud and I had in the back when we pulled up ! Hes just asked "Coming back from the range?" I said "Yup"
Showed him my PAL and we were on our way:cool:
That was about 5-6 years ago. As a rule CO's do not check Firearm licensing....but they can;)

What did he say about the 6 pack you boys were pounding back? :eek:

I've been checked lots by COs, but never had one ask for my PAL. That doesn't mean they won't though. Best have your paperwork up to date and handy at all times.

Had a cop check me once before the PAL requirements - he was nice enough to dry fire my gun before he handed it back to me. :???:

martyonthewater
01-08-2008, 07:46 PM
generalizations suck. leave them for the anti's

KevinB
01-09-2008, 09:26 AM
I have yet to be asked for a PAL/POL by a CO - but as others have said, they could ask if they wanted to. Also road checks often have RCMP at them, all it takes is for one of them to ask you. We might not LIKE all the paperwork, but it's best to have it all in order.

BTW, welcome to the forum Dannybuoy.

308Lover
01-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Gatehouse! We know you were kidding about the CO's. Have met only one in my life who was unfriendly--and he was just being a bit abrupt. The rest have always been fair--and I always offer coff/or cold drinks(but not booze.) Shared a diet soda with a guy at Empire Valley one warm day. Then met him at the Gang Ranch a year later. Even friendlier then.

308Lover
01-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Sorry Gatehouse! My reply was for Trailhunter! (Feeling like a rookie again!) 308.