PDA

View Full Version : wells grey

GordonS
01-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Hello all im new here. I had a moose draw for wells grery this fall and went up there with my uncleand cousin. We didint se any moose but managed to get a couple nice mule bucks right from the road.My uncle and cousin did anyway. It was november and there was no snow. I want to go there again next fall but was wandering if the no snow thing was normal and if it was also normal to see lots of deer and no moose. Would it be worht going later for deer only. We used to see lots of moose there in the 80's and my dad said they hunted for them right up to january? he also said there was not so many huters now as there used to be. Maybe coz theres no moose?

BlacktailStalker
01-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the site, tons of good guys/gals and info on here.
To get any replies, you'll unfortunately have to bait us with pictures of your mulies, it's kind of a rule around here :)

GordonS
01-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I didint have a cam with me when we got the bucks but Ill see if my cousin can email the pics of the horns to me and ill figure out how to post em

dana
01-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Wells Gray was at one time world-reknown for it's moose hunting. Back in 20's there was a huge fire that ripped through the area and it created the ultimate moose paridise. Moose were first seen shortly after that fire and by the 40's and 50's the population was insane at an estimated 1 moose per acre. Hunters came from all over the world and were taking over 200 mature bulls a year out of there. The seasons were very liberal with seasons running from Sept through Jan for either a bull or a cow. This, coupled with some sevre winters in the late 60's and early 70's, and the moose populations crashed hard and have been slow to increase since then. Forest succession has also played a roll as well. IMO currently, this is the easiest tag in the province to draw and the hardest tag to fill. They let out 80+ tags a year with the combined Oct and Nov seasons, and yet they only average 3-5 bulls a year harvested. There is pretty much zip for access unless you have a horse or a good boat. The park road has a 400m shooting restriction, so killing a moose close to a road is pretty much out of the question, unless you get lucky and kill one within the 6kms of access you have on the Stillwater 4x4 access road. I've personally had the draw twice and was skunked both times. I never again will apply for it, unless maybe as my second choice.

GordonS
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Yep we hunted the stillwater and battle mountain. Only tracks we saw were on piramid mtn trail. Shot one nice buck on the stillwater road and on after it crossed the main road right by a place called moose meadows or somthing. i was suprised to see so many houses around there. lots of trucks too. evry place there was a hiking trail there was a truck.

butcher
01-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Better watch out while hunting around those homes gordo, someone might accuse you of trespassing.

tomahawk
01-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Like Dana said it was the place to hunt at one time but you probably got a better chance to get a moose in Surrey nowadays. My father in law and his buddy took a 67" monster from Wells Gray in the late 50's.

GordonS
01-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I wasnt trespassing butcher. we got the 2nd deer across the road from some dudes house. he even came out to have a look when we dragged it out and said we were fine to hunt there just dont shoot his dogs.I think we will probly go back next year maybe a little later so my dad and bro can come to. hopefuly then we will get snow! 67 inches! wow, big moose