PDA

View Full Version : Which Wall Tent???

TIKKA TIGER
01-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm wanting to purchase a "GOOD" quality wall tent c/w frame for easy set-up. I would appreciate some input on make and/or model, etc. I want a 12' x 14' x 5' wall tent and should I be looking at one with the grommeted floor, sewn in floor, or no floor and just use a tarp for the floor? I see there is a deluxe wall tent supplier in Canada in Sidney, B.C. Anyone have a wall tent from them and if so what do you think of it? I see Cabelas has wall tents also and various suppliers in the U.S. Any recommendations where to purchase one? Thanks for looking and also your time!
Cheers... :smile:

tuchodi
01-05-2008, 08:39 AM
I know a couple of friends that have bought from Deluxe Tent in Sidney and are real hapy with them, they make a real good quality tent. I would buy one without a floor and use a tarp as it is much easyier to keep clean. I have used one like that for 20 years and it works good. I would also get an internal frame as it is then totaly portable as you dont have to cut polls. They make one with a front porch and for my next tent I am going to get that one. I am sure there are lots of good tents around but at least they are Canadian. I bought my tent many years ago from Northwest Tent in Edmonton.

tomahawk
01-05-2008, 09:15 AM
A couple good points that Tuchodi made, I use tarps on the floor as well, I get them at the lumber stores, they are the covers that the mill puts on for shipping and they work real good and are disposable and free. I also will get a porch if I ever get another tent, that way I can keep things close, under cover and yet not clutter the inside of the tent ( well at least not anymore than it already gets)

TIKKA TIGER
01-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for your input. For a porch area, I was thinking of using an extra long and extra wide tarp to cover the tent and to extend past the entrance to keep that area dry.

tomahawk
01-05-2008, 09:47 AM
That is how I create a porch now and it works ok, I also have it extended out the back a ways and store stuff that I don't need too often back there. I would imagine it is pricy to add the porch option?

tuchodi
01-05-2008, 09:51 AM
A tarp over the tent that extends to make a porch works OK but you don't need to cover your tent with anything as they are waterproof. I have been in some of the worst storms and never had a leak except somtimes it runs down the stove pipe and onto the stove throught the pipe hole. That big extra tarp is just more weight you don't need to pack. The biggest things with canvus tents is to really dry them out before you store them. Mine is over 20 years old and the only problem I had is a Grizz found his way in the front door but made his own door going out. Even after the repairs which were both in the walls and a couple of 12" slices in the roof it has never leaked. I treat mine with Thompsons Water Seal every 2 years.

Wood butcher
01-05-2008, 09:57 AM
I have the tent you mentioned. It has the porch and I bought an internal frame also. I think it's great. setup time is very quick and I can do it all my self if need be. I dont know what you drive but the poles for the internal frame fit inside the box of my truck with the gate closed. (F250 Ford extended cab shortbox). This may seem like a strange point but my buddy has the same size tent from another maker and it wont fit in my truck gate closed. It also takes more time to set-up and doesn't have the porch.

TIKKA TIGER
01-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all the input, some good advice here. I like the fact that the Deluxe wall tent from Sidney, B.C. has the shipping included, I think that's a plus. I was wondering if I should go with the 3 or 4 truss frame? I hunt both early and late season. Sometimes in the snow... perhaps the 4 truss frame? Any thoughts... maybe the 3 truss will do? Thanks again guys!

Wood butcher
01-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I didn't even know that was an option. The best part about the frame I have is that there is only really 2 pole sizes, rafters and legs. The overhang does have 3 shorter poles but all you need to do is mark those 3 a different color. This is what makes set-up so fast.

Trapper
01-05-2008, 11:44 AM
eyebowhunt

i bought a 14x15 wall tent with the frame from deluxe wall tents 4 or 5 years ago, i would say its one of the smarter things i have done,theres lots of things too consider when buying a wall tent,i did lots of homework before i bought a tent and i think deluxe wall tents would be your best choice,plus there great guys too deal with.I use mine every year with out any trouble,last year i was up at pink mt.rained every day and never leaked a drop,give perry a call.

TIKKA TIGER
01-05-2008, 11:51 AM
eyebowhunt

i bought a 14x15 wall tent with the frame from deluxe wall tents 4 or 5 years ago, i would say its one of the smarter things i have done,theres lots of things too consider when buying a wall tent,i did lots of homework before i bought a tent and i think deluxe wall tents would be your best choice,plus there great guys too deal with.I use mine every year with out any trouble,last year i was up at pink mt.rained every day and never leaked a drop,give perry a call.

I'm already leaning towards purchasing from Deluxe Wall Tents anyway! Thanks for the good report... 8-)

The Hermit
01-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Davis Tent and Awning in Denver. www.davistent.com 303-561-1817

Check this family business out. Their website will tell you everything you need to know. They were great to deal with and their product is second to none.

I live close to Deluxe Wall Tents in Sidney and went out to see their tents. They too make a top-of-the-line product using the same materials as Davis.

I detailed exactly what I wanted and compared prices... Davis was almost 50% less including shipping and the exchange!! Now that the dollars are closer to par it would make an even better deal. I like to shop local, BC, and Canadian too but couldn't afford that much of a difference.

Send me your email and I'll send you my bill of sale... sounds like you are looking for almost exactly the same set up. I went with a custom fly, 3/4 non-sewn in floor, 5 ft porch (highly recommend this), stove, internal frame, comes with al the tie-downs, grommets sewn in etc.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/btozer/tent.jpg