PDA

View Full Version : Wall tent stoves

Ovis17
01-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Anyone have a favorite or a recommendation?? I'm in the market for a stove for my canvas wall tent and was just looking for some advice........One feature I would want would be a pullout tray for easy ash removal.

Thanks.........

Upearly
01-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Kettle River Stoves, made in Courtenay, are one of the best on the market but sometimes they are difficult to get hold of ( ph 250-338-1869). They only make so many a year so you have to talk to them early. Their ad is in the hunting regs near the front of the book. Canadian Tire now sells a "Hunter" model woodstove which looks pretty good also but I have not talked to anyone who has used one yet. Sells for about $180.

BlacktailStalker
01-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Kettle River Stoves x2. Love mine.
Dave Lornie is a great guy too.

Upearly
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
How could I forget. The Deluxe Wall Tent site offers the Woodsman stove which I hear is also good for about the same money.

trail blazer
01-03-2008, 05:09 PM
we picked one up at sky view sports in surrey, it worked really good, the only way to remove the ashes is through the door though. it's about two feet long and can take alot of wood, air tight and burns slow.

Allen50
01-04-2008, 01:03 AM
if you or someone has a welder you can build your owne , i made my owne, and had the tent up to 95deg, man was it hot in the tent and -10 out side and snowing,, was neet,, sit and read and bs. just a though..

Barracuda
01-04-2008, 02:06 AM
I am makeing one for someone right now , the criteria was that it must be able to sufficiently heat the whole night through without being stoked. must be able to cook on it and heat water on it, front loading and must be durable (10&12ga) and not be an iron pig. I think i accomplished that with this stove. getting one made by someone or yourself allows you to have some input into the contruction as everyones needs are different.

cwocarsten
01-04-2008, 02:17 AM
I have had mine for more than 19 yrs. I bought it at a surplus store in Washington. Its a WWII issue and can be converted to gas. I just use wood for it. Its compact and heats 16X24 tent just fine. 2ftacrossX18 in high. It cost me $50US.

sealevel
01-04-2008, 07:11 AM
I use one of the tin airtights that are readly avalable at hardware stores. My friend makes tent stoves from old propane tanks . and they work real good.

Barracuda
01-04-2008, 12:13 PM
I have noticed a few things. most tin toploader stoves likr the type you find at otter co-op and such will only last one season then you will start to be able to see little holes. Ones made from drums work well but finding the size you want can be tough unless you buy a new one from a manufacturer, the sides are fairly robust and resist warping but the ends are made from thinner metal so they do rust out but can be replaced.
fairly simple to cut open and add, door ,stack , and cooking surface.

propane cylinders are robust and durable , your gonna have to do some searcing to get the size you want . good metal to weld to simple to cut open and add, door ,stack , and cooking surface. ,

sealevel
01-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I have noticed a few things. most tin toploader stoves likr the type you find at otter co-op and such will only last one season then you will start to be able to see little holes. Ones made from drums work well but finding the size you want can be tough unless you buy a new one from a manufacturer, the sides are fairly robust and resist warping but the ends are made from thinner metal so they do rust out but can be replaced.
fairly simple to cut open and add, door ,stack , and cooking surface.

propane cylinders are robust and durable , your gonna have to do some searcing to get the size you want . good metal to weld to simple to cut open and add, door ,stack , and cooking surface. ,
my tin top loaders is 5 years old no holes in it yet. but when it burns out i will build one from a 30 lb popane tank.

tomahawk
01-04-2008, 01:48 PM
most tin toploader stoves likr the type you find at otter co-op and such will only last one season then you will start to be able to see little holes.

I am on my second top loader and in my 17th year of hunting with them. Mind you to extend the life of the first one I did build a new bottom and you could see a glow of red at night when the lights went out but I did get a good 8=9 seasons before the holes started. This one i have now is 5 yrs old and going strong. I like the storing of the pipe in the belly for travel. I use it about 2-4 weeks per yr.

Barracuda
01-04-2008, 02:09 PM
the inexpensive top loaders are pretty thin material if you store them clean in the off season and not in moisture they will last alot longer but its like most things the more abuse it gets the shorter its lifespan. the other thing to consider with top loaders is that they can be a bit smokey .

bighornbob
01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
With the tin ones, I was told to put about an inch of sand in the bottom while burning. This is said to prolong the life of the bottom so it does not burn out as quickly.

BHB

huntcoop
01-04-2008, 02:31 PM
We made ours from a 45 gallon drum. Laid on it's side with removeable and foldable legs. We cut the side out and welded on a large steel top for a cooking surface. The top is large enough to have our aluminun water pot on to boil which holds at least 5 gallons of water. Keeps our 20x25 tent very warm in -25 weather. Mind you the ceiling fan helps ;)

tomahawk
01-04-2008, 03:19 PM
the inexpensive top loaders are pretty thin material
Hey Barracuda, they are very thin but like you say if you look after them, like anything else, you can get max life from it. Never had any trouble with being smoky but I keep the draft lever next to the chimney ope at least half way all the time.

I was told to put about an inch of sand in the bottom while burning. This is said to prolong the life of the bottom so it does not burn out as quickly.

Hey BHB, I do the same and it makes a world of diffence, after a week of 24\7 burning the ash base does get close to the air dampner on the stove front so that can be a problem if your staying longer than a week.

I love the one I have as it is very large and at -20 in my 14X18 when Bison hunting we sat in our t shirts and if you dampen it right down it will be going in the morning and keep the chill off the tent.

Definitely better quality tents out there but the tin has been good value for the buck for me.

Tom

ruttinbuck
01-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I have a 16"X16"X24" home design that burns all night in a 14'X19' wall tent.Front loading with a 13"X13" door and a draft located on the front of the stove right at the coal level.That helps alot with the burn control.I put 24" legs on that thread on and off.The stove holds the four legs and 4 lengths of 6" chimney while stored so it is one package to travel.The top of the stove has a expanded metal grate that holds the 7 gal water pot.It has been used 24/7 for one or two week long trips a year now for 7 years and other than the high temp paint being gone the only real wear and tear is the grate that sits inside the stove is burning out.RB

Hunterguy
01-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Tin ones have served us well, about an inch or two of sand and after the season I soak mine down with WD-40, outside only. Last three years, for the price, go out and buy a new one.

tomahawk
01-05-2008, 12:58 AM
RB, do you any pictures you could share of yours or put in the Gallery so we could see? I like the ideas you have! Did you build it?

lip_ripper00
01-05-2008, 01:28 AM
This is the one I made for camp this year, and it worked great in a 14x20 tent @-15. I took Marcks advice and put the SS plate as low as possable. Their is another pic in my gallery good luck. Steve http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0633.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5777&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=240)

tomahawk
01-05-2008, 01:57 AM
Thanks Steve, nice work! Looks like it has decent capacity as well!

ruttinbuck
01-05-2008, 10:15 AM
RB, do you any pictures you could share of yours or put in the Gallery so we could see? I like the ideas you have! Did you build it?
My hunting bud did the welding,I just thought up the dimensions.My pics are not the best,but you can get an idea.Camp is in storage and better pics{if interested} will have to wait.RB
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/ruttinbuck/camp%20pics/tentstove.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/ruttinbuck/camp%20pics/tentfront.jpg

tomahawk
01-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks RB, get the drift on the stove, looks good! Love the second picture, that looks more comfy than the first couple shacks I lived in when I flew the coop from home!

ruttinbuck
01-05-2008, 11:52 AM
The second pic is about 6-7 yrs ago.The camp has been streamlined abit and is'nt quite as comfy.One of my partners gets carried away with "necessities" in camp.RB

Ovis17
01-07-2008, 04:25 AM
Wow....thanks for all of the replies guys. Rutinbuck I like the look of yours. I'll probably go with something similar.

browningboy
01-13-2008, 06:44 PM
With the price of metal now, if you can get a good one for 180.00, grab it as I am very familar with fabrication and frankly wouldn't even consider getting out of bed to make that kind of money so yes good deal!:razz:

dawn2dusk
01-23-2008, 11:18 AM
anyone ever try one of these from Crappy tire? is it air tight?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6673434&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442829257&bmUID=1201112262684&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

bighornbob
01-23-2008, 11:52 AM
anyone ever try one of these from Crappy tire? is it air tight?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6673434&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442829257&bmUID=1201112262684&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

At 56 pounds I would hardly call it light weight like the add says.

BHB

ratherbefishin
01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Somebody posted a link a while back to a tent stove made out of a 45 gallon drum-the kind with a clamp on lid.The general idea was to cut the top third off,and use the material to make a door for a front loaded stove,as well as a piece for a draft control. The lid was clamped back on the 2/3rd barrel,with the stove pipe cut into it.The stove sat upright,so the top could be used for cooking.No welding, only a cut off saw and a drill were needed .Cheap, effective, and big enough to hold a fire all night.

bcsteve
01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
At 56 pounds I would hardly call it light weight like the add says.

BHB

And not available in BC!?

bcsteve
01-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Somebody posted a link a while back to a tent stove made out of a 45 gallon drum-the kind with a clamp on lid.The general idea was to cut the top third off,and use the material to make a door for a front loaded stove,as well as a piece for a draft control. The lid was clamped back on the 2/3rd barrel,with the stove pipe cut into it.The stove sat upright,so the top could be used for cooking.No welding, only a cut off saw and a drill were needed .Cheap, effective, and big enough to hold a fire all night.

I think this is the one you're talking about.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/matthews78.html