PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on legend boats

willyqbc
01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
first off thanks for all the helpful advice on the motor size thread....now, any thoughts on the legend line of boats? They seem to be the most reasonably priced in this style of boat I have found so far. Keeping in mind that 90%+ of my fishing will be on inland lakes, sometimes on bigger water (quesnel lake) but mostly your basic northern trout lakes. I will probably want to put it in the chuck on a rare occasion as well. this is the model I am most interested in right now

http://www.adventuremotors.com/external_link.cfm?linkto=http%3A//www.legendboats.com

So..anyone have any experience with the legend line? or is there another comparably priced option out there?

Thanks
Chris

Dirty
01-03-2008, 12:55 PM
A friend of mine has a legend and likes it a lot. They look like a good boat for a lake/fishing boat. Leo Edwards Marine in Chilliwack always advertises good prices on combos with the regular tiller steer and side console models on a trailer. You may want to give them a call and price one out. Being the off season for boating you may be able to scoop a last years model or something for a good buy.

Dirty

freeman6
01-03-2008, 01:15 PM
I checked out Leo Edwards and Legend boats last spring. I thought they were a good buy until I found out that I had to pay a freight or shipping surcharge. Then I went down the street and priced a Lund of similar description. Worked out cheaper when said and done.

Rivershore Boats in Kamloops quoted me about $4000.00 for a fully welded 16 foot with dual side consoles without windsheilds that matched the configuration of the Lund but with .100 bottom and .080 sides. Weight was a little heavier than the Lund at about 400 lb if I recall correctly. Still haven't made up my mind. Domenics, in Kamloops as well, quoted me $3400.00 on a 2008, 16 foot Lund that they had in stock.

No advice here, just some options, but personally the one brand I wouldn't touch would be Harbercraft. Swamped one while fishing and sank one trying to put a bull moose in it. Both oil canned steady under power. But they were both 12 footers and both incidents happened several years ago.

Jagermeister
01-03-2008, 02:17 PM
I think that you should buy a 18' boat and get some good power. When I consider your family along with grand parents, you'll get twofootitis in a big hurry. Does Oldtimer have a boat and what about John? Of course, your budget will dictate what you will end up with.

Jagermeister
01-03-2008, 02:33 PM
No advice here, just some options, but personally the one brand I wouldn't touch would be Harbercraft. Swamped one while fishing and sank one trying to put a bull moose in it. Both oil canned steady under power. But they were both 12 footers and both incidents happened several years ago.Harbercraft do not make cartoppers anymore, I believe that they evolved in 1996. The smallest one is 17' and I think that they are all welded, no more riveting.
Putting a bull moose into a 12' would certainly reduce the freeboard to vitually nothing. Sorry, but that's kind of a no-brainer. Maybe a quarter at a time, but a complete bull moose?

lip_ripper00
01-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Putting a bull moose into a 12' would certainly reduce the freeboard to vitually nothing. Sorry, but that's kind of a no-brainer. Maybe a quarter at a time, but a complete bull moose?

I have put a whole moose in a 10' Zodiac not much room left but we got it done:mrgreen:

Jagermeister
01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
"I have put a whole moose in a 10' Zodiac not much room left but we got it done:mrgreen:"

There's a significant difference between a 12' aluminium boat:eek: and a 10' Zodiak:-) when it comes to flotation and stability. The first case scenerio is a candidate for a Red Cross bad example poster.

freeman6
01-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Harbercraft do not make cartoppers anymore, I believe that they evolved in 1996. The smallest one is 17' and I think that they are all welded, no more riveting.

The idea was to put the moose in the boat to avoid having to drag or pack it through the swamp. We weren't going to get in the boat with the moose as the creek wasn't deep enough to worry about.

Where the bull was loaded, there was a cut bank to roll the bull off of into the boat. The problem was the five feet of water under the boat when the bull got past the point of no return. Even when we got the bull cut in half and loaded half at a time, we had to lift the boat (five grown men), through the shallow spots. We never weighed that bull, but when it was hanging next to one that the butcher shop weighed as 612 lbs, it looked like a calf next to a bull. It took three of us to put each quarter into a pick-up to bring home. Don't know how tough the meat was because we ground up every ounce of it in a hand grinder.

Sitkaspruce
01-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Harbercraft do not make cartoppers anymore, I believe that they evolved in 1996. The smallest one is 17' and I think that they are all welded, no more riveting.

I have a 2001 Harbourcraft "classic" 12'. It is the best aluminum boat I have used in a long time. Deep, beamy and very stable. It has hauled out three moose (quartered) with no problem. I have a 9.8 Merc 4 stroke and it handles all the weight no problem.

Willyqbc

Legend boats are middle of the road boats. For the price they are a good deal and for the interior lakes a good all around boat.

Have you checked out the craiglist.com for used boats? It is a great place to look and there is some great deals on boats in BC, Alberta and Washinton State.

Boat buying is as fun as buying a new gun or bow, have fun!!!!

Jagermeister
01-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Hey WillyQBC, sorry for the hijack of you thread.:redface:

betteroffishing
01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
my wife and i bought a "16' extreme " in the legend line and even after the freight which was accurately quoted at around 4000.00 i still feel really good about it. it is a canadian business and i believe in supporting canadian even at a slightly higher cost after all i bet lund, harbourcraft, etc... dont pay the same levels of taxation that a canadian business does.
but i wont go on about that any longer.
i also use mine mainly in the freshwater lakes of b.c. but also use it a fair deal in the salt cought my first ocean bright white spring in it this past summer. good times . bought mine from the good people @ leo edwards and sons in chilliwack.

sealevel
01-04-2008, 01:37 PM
betteroffishing ---harbercrafts are made in vernon . and there not the harbercrafts of old....We took a 16 ft lund with a 30 yamy to nootka last summer . a great boat . willyq i don`t think there`s a real poor boat out there. you just have to pick the goodies you want.

Jagermeister
01-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I have a 2001 Harbourcraft "classic" 12'. It is the best aluminum boat I have used in a long time. Deep, beamy and very stable. It has hauled out three moose (quartered) with no problem. I have a 9.8 Merc 4 stroke and it handles all the weight no problem.

Boat buying is as fun as buying a new gun or bow, have fun!!!!
I would say at best that a 2001 Harbourcraft "classic" 12' would have a Max. capacity 700 lb. range.
So, doing the math.
700# minus
(2 front bull moose quarters @ 175 # ea.) 350#
= 350# minus
(2 hind quarters @ 125 lb.) 250#
= 100# minus
(merc 9.9 4-stroke @ 84lb) + (5 gal. of gas {36.89# @ 72 deg F - [heavier @ coller temps] + 5# for the tank}) + a 180# man dressed in hunting clothing = ~200# for a total of 325.89#
= -225.89#

700 - (350+250+326) = -226#
That's exceeding the DOT max. weight capacity by 30%.
Find any fault with the numbers?

Dayto
01-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I have seen so many moose loaded into 12 footers over the years , and never seen any problems Shit I saw a Quad and half a moose head out from the ice bridge one year and he just motored along .

Sitkaspruce
01-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I would say at best that a 2001 Harbourcraft "classic" 12' would have a Max. capacity 700 lb. range.
So, doing the math.
700# minus
(2 front bull moose quarters @ 175 # ea.) 350#
= 350# minus
(2 hind quarters @ 125 lb.) 250#
= 100# minus
(merc 9.9 4-stroke @ 84lb) + (5 gal. of gas {36.89# @ 72 deg F - [heavier @ coller temps] + 5# for the tank}) + a 180# man dressed in hunting clothing = ~200# for a total of 325.89#
= -225.89#

700 - (350+250+326) = -226#
That's exceeding the DOT max. weight capacity by 30%.
Find any fault with the numbers?

Number would be good, except that I do not pack all that extra bone on a moose. I use the no gut method and leave all that ribs, spine and hip in the bush, so subtract about 200-250 lbs for bone, hide and head and you can easily see that it works. Also I believe my boat is rated for 800 lbs, but could be wrong as it is up north and I am back on the island.

Also, if you balance the load you can make the ride easier and the boat safer. If you are unsure, just take two quarters back at a time. And last but not least, the boat is mostly used on lakes or rivers where there is very little wind or current. It works for me and I will stick with it.

Again we are hijacking a post so lets leave this for what it is really about...Legend boats.

Cheers

willyqbc
01-04-2008, 03:57 PM
well thanks again for all the insight and advice! I think we are very close to pulling the trigger on buying a new Legend, I did a bunch of phoning and the price difference between the Legends and the lund, and Lowes I just can't justify it. For the same final bill as the comparable configuration basic/no options lund with a 25 hp merc I can get the Legend with:

40 horse power trim Merc
bimini top
boat cover
fish finder
extra pedestal seat
various other goodies (rod holders/rod racks etc.)

I know the lunds are a better quality hull but for the interior lakes where the vast majority of my time will be spent I hopefully will not notice the difference. The lifetime hull and floor warranty also helps ease any worry for me on that front. Being Canadian made is a definate bonus for me as well.

Thanks again
Chris

BlacktailStalker
01-04-2008, 04:32 PM
I think you'll do just fine with that.
Post up first-scales-in-the-boat pics when the time comes :)

swamper
01-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I hope to be of assistance with the first-scales-in-the-boat pics. Willy and I have already been talking of a weekend of char fishing/bear hunting.

480ruger
01-04-2008, 05:40 PM
have a look at the hewes craft boats,about the same price as the legends,and nearly identical to the harbercraft,more bang for the buck..i bought the 18ft harbercraft with 90hp yamaha and took it out to bella coola and no problems.the same boat package from hewes craft was about 3gs cheaper,of course i found that out afterbuying the harbercraft

Jagermeister
01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I think that's a good choice Chris, you'll be happy with that!

Schutzen
01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Sounds like a helluva pkge there Willy. Loads of fishin fun. Let us know what you think once you've tried her out.
Good luck