PDA

View Full Version : pack suggestions

islandstalker
01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
looking for a pack for multi day use. suggestions? probly spend 150.00 at the most.

Scobo
01-02-2008, 01:00 PM
i am working on the same thing. i am looking for a 3ish day pack. so far, in my budget i have come up with the cabela's alaskan II ($135ish) as a frame pack and the badlands 2800 ($190). the badlands is not a frame pack and the alaskan is. Its seems the guys that shoot stuff like frame packs. the badlands looks like a kick ass pack though and is highly recommended even by others on this site. i tried one on and i feel 10 lbs lighter with it on. now i don't know if i can pack a moose quarter onto the badlands or not. mind you the moose hikes are usually within a 1/4 mile and the last moose ham was 170lbs, no kidding. not sure if the badlands could handle that. but its cool because it folds up into something you could use for a day pack while alpine hunting. not sure myself what to do.

pupper
01-02-2008, 01:25 PM
I definately like the badlands and eberlestock but on a budget you can get the "moose pack" from game trails which worked for me.
if you want to read up on what to look for in a pack check this out:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/_Hunting_Packs

KevinB
01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
If you are keen on staying under the $150 line, a good bet would be to look for something used - this or the Huntshoot forum, CGN, 24hourcampfire, ebay, etc. You can get some good deals on some decent gear that will still be in good shape. Otherwise, for that price range, you could have a look at the Tatonka Lastenkraxe external frame - Deakin sells the frame + packbag for $250, but they might sell the frame by itself, and it should be closer to your $150 price limit. It appears to be built pretty stout. You could just lash on a cheap bag if you want to backpack with it. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was a bit tall, and might snag a bit on stuff if you wanted to hunt with it in the timber. I haven't used one, just tried one on in a store. Felt very comfortable and the harness was well designed.

http://www.deakin.com/index.cfm?action=display&product_class_id=11&product_group_id=74&product_id=437&product_sub_id=3253

A lot of folks also seem very happy with the Bull-pac external frame packs, especially for the price,I think they go for $180 US. Again you might find one used for a better price.

todbartell
01-02-2008, 01:35 PM
look for a used 2800 Badlands

islandstalker
01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
the badlands looks pretty sweet.

GoatGuy
01-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I've got one of those cabelas alaskan or outfitter? can't remember. In any case it's comfortable and hauls a lot of gear - moose quarters aren't a problem. Had it given to me 5 years ago, packed out plenty of game, gear and it's still in one piece. I'm definitely happy with it.

Ron.C
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I've had a badlands 2200 for two years. I easily carries all my gear for hunting/elk decoy+ loads of extra room. I used this pack on a 7 day canoe trip in the Bowron Lks last year, and had no problem. It does have a meat shelf that comes out of the bottom. I have used it to test haul some pretty heavy stuff, and with all the compression straps, the load didn't move at all. I can easily shoot my bow with my pack loaded as it is quiet and adjusts to fit perfectly. I looked at the larger badlands pack when I got mine, but found it too big. It would be great if you were just going to use it for pack in type hunts, but it is way too big for everyday hunting use in my opinion. The warranty on badlands packs are true" lifetime" warranty. If it's broke, ripped, whatever, they will fix it.

freeman6
01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
I would go with the Cabela's frame that fits your budget best. I have been using them (3, one for me, my father and a hunting partner), for about 15 years. Haven't broken anything on any of them yet, although I had to replace a waist band buckle after it fell off somewhere on one trip.

Top of the frame comes off to reduce the height. Doesn't seem to affect the rigidity of the frame when it's off. Harness is comfortable with heavy loads on steep terrain. You can hang your sling over the top of the frame and it is still easily accessible. You can get various bags to fit on it for gear. I would suggest one with the internal water sack option. I get thirsty when I pack large, heavy loads and reaching for a water bottle or bending down to get a drink at a stream is something I don't do very well when loaded down.

Get yourself a telescopic aluminum hiking stick or two as well. Might save you a broken ankle, (see posting under longest packs).

Sitkaspruce
01-04-2008, 10:55 AM
This is what I have. Check out the video that talks about the options this pack has.

http://www.blacks-creek.com/product.php?id=5

I picked it up for $100 from Archerytalk.com classifides.

I have been very happy with it. It is well made and has lots of pockets and space for storage.

It packed out my VI elk this year with no problems.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/PA140041.jpg

You can find them on Ebay and other sites.