PDA

View Full Version : LEUPOLD or NOT?

GAME TIME
01-01-2008, 11:29 PM
I recently purchased a 300 win mag, and now looking for a scope to mount on it:confused:. I'm kinda leaning towards a leupold
VX-111, 3.5x10x40 with the boone & crocket reticle. So many choices out there that it makes it difficult:eek:. Is this a good choice, or is there a better direction:?:.

todbartell
01-01-2008, 11:33 PM
you'd be hard pressed to pick a better scope than that

Brambles
01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
If its in your budget then "do it" thats a great scope, you can also try and get a similar scope with the "LR" Duplex, still has aiming marks but doesn't have the windage marks so its less "Busy" in the scope...but thats a personal preference thing. The only reason I went with the LR is the B&C wasn't avaliable in my model scope..

BlacktailStalker
01-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Game time; Its game time on that one ;)
Great scope, I have that in the 4.5-14x and 3.5-10x VXL B&C's.
I will never use another scope.

kloosterboer
01-02-2008, 12:22 AM
ya Should be great!! I have a Vx2 and absoultly love it!!

The Dawg
01-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Great choice, cant go wrong with Leupold

boatdoc
01-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey GAME TIME i had a VX-111 then i bought a zeiss. IMHO zeiss is a better scope for the money.

Buck
01-02-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm sure that would be a great scope.This year i took a bad fall while elk hunting and put a big dent in the top of my Vari x II just back from the front reticule where it slopes to the 1 inch tube.I had to resight it as it got knocked way out of zero but it hung in there.I am trying to send it in to have them check it out as it really got slammed and i want to know the lenses are still seated right.I have an email into them not sure if the border thing is going to be a problem for having it checked.But it is a tough scope

Mauser98
01-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm sure that would be a great scope.This year i took a bad fall while elk hunting and put a big dent in the top of my Vari x II just back from the front reticule where it slopes to the 1 inch tube.I had to resight it as it got knocked way out of zero but it hung in there.I am trying to send it in to have them check it out as it really got slammed and i want to know the lenses are still seated right.I have an email into them not sure if the border thing is going to be a problem for having it checked.But it is a tough scope

You don't have to send your scope across the Line. Leupold has a service facility in Edmonton and by all accounts servive is very good and fast

LEUPOLD PRODUCT SERVICE — CANADA
Jim Korth Agencies Ltd.
103 Stockton Point, Box 490
Okotoks, AB T1S 1A7
Tel: 403.938.3255
FAX: 403.938.2722

Nechako Outdoors
01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
This year i took a bad fall while elk hunting and put a big dent in the top of my Vari x II just back from the front reticule where it slopes to the 1 inch tube.
I have an email into them not sure if the border thing is going to be a problem for having it checked.But it is a tough scope

for Canadian Leupold warranty, contact :

Jim Korth Agencies, LTD
103 Stockton Point, Box 490
Okotoks, AB
T1S 1A7

phone # 1-403-938-3255

B.C.Boy(100%)
01-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Yes, go for the LEUPOLD, you'll be happy with it.

I have four Leupolds, all have the AO, including one like the one your looking at (different duplex though).
I prefer the Fine Duplex myself.
The only other scope that I use came on the Browning/Sako 257 Roberts, a Bausch & Lomb Balver 2.5-10 X 40 AO, that is another real nice piece of glass.

Good luck with you decision.

tomahawk
01-02-2008, 11:17 AM
My 2 cents is that I look for a combination of quality and cost in most things I purchase and the Leopold scopes of VXii and better are as good as you'll get for the $$. There are better scopes out there but the cost gets so high that I question whether it is worth all the extra money for such limited use.

Bullmoose
01-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Great scope great warranty

Buck
01-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the warranty info guys

Scobo
01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
a guy once told me while in my process that if you are buying a scope for the warranty you are buying for the wrong reason. do i agree? don't know. but to me i want a scope i can see the best through near dark, into the sun and one that doesn't need warranty. although, the leupold vxII and up will probably meet that there are lots of options these days. do yourself a favor and go to a shop near dark and look through all of them in your price range. you will have a hard time deciding between nikon, bushnell and leupolds. and yes, these are all very good choices so it will come down to $$$ and personal preference.

Gunner
01-03-2008, 10:04 AM
You can't go wrong with the Leupolds!I don't buy them because of the warranty(although it's the best;lifetime & transferrable!),I buy them for their performance.In 23 years of using various models(I have 8 right now),I have never had to return one for service. Gunner

freeman6
01-03-2008, 10:43 AM
I have very poor eyesight, so I find that I can't afford to have "cheap" glass on my rifles. Do the twilight shopping thing and get the best one you find. Be sure you check how well focused images towards the edge of the field of view are.

I usually end up with Zeiss glass, although I have one Leo, (best of the bunch that I tested that particular day), and one Weaver, (from before I got fussy).

boxhitch
01-03-2008, 02:00 PM
you will have a hard time deciding between nikon, bushnell and leupolds. and yes, these are all very good choices so it will come down to $$$ and personal preference.Echo from me. The B&L 4200;s are tough to beat. Save coin to buy powder with.

GoatGuy
01-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Echo from me. The B&L 4200;s are tough to beat. Save coin to buy powder with.

Mine crapped out after 3 months - fogged up. Dried it out hunted with it for the season and shipped it to them December 11.

Didn't get it back until April and that was only because the regional rep was giving them a hard time as was I (multiple phone calls and letters) because I was supposed to be bear hunting.

Leupold is definitely the way to go.

tomahawk
01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I was comparing the VXII and comparable Bushnell (B&L) recently and the bushnell was a little brighter when viewed at the gun shop. Asked the gun smith his thoughts as he sold them both, they were comparably priced and he said that when put in the bush the leopold will show as much brighter when the light drops. I have a 40 yr old Leopold that has been through the ringer and it keeps on ticking. I also just bought the VXII.

porcupine
01-03-2008, 08:47 PM
If money is no object, take a look at the Leupold VariX-7 that just came out. It's the only scope in the world made with lead free glass and is the best scope that Leupold has made. I got one in 2 to10 power last year and it is an amazing scope. The only drawback for many is it's a 300 mm tube and heavier than some onther scopes. Still it's a great scope.
________
Dodge Phoenix (Australia) specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Phoenix_(Australia))

300WM
01-04-2008, 08:44 AM
If money is no object, take a look at the Leupold VariX-7 that just came out. It's the only scope in the world made with lead free glass and is the best scope that Leupold has made. I got one in 2 to10 power last year and it is an amazing scope. The only drawback for many is it's a 300 mm tube and heavier than some onther scopes. Still it's a great scope.

Leupold is not the only one doing this. Zeiss had been making their optics with lead/arsenic free glass for ever.

Both are great scopes but I lean towards Zeiss for their quality glass.

GAME TIME
01-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the info guy's it been real helpfull. I think I'm going to go with the LEUPOLD, but some of your replys brought a new question up. Say if I was looking at a ZEISS scope which model would be one to at.:???:Next weekend I'm going to wholesale sports in Kamloops to check them out. Seems like they got the best prices around.