PDA

View Full Version : Bivy Sacks?

daycort
12-31-2007, 01:20 PM
I just want to know who uses them and if the bivys with the hoop is preffered or go without the hoop design to save on weight. I do have a back pack tent just looking for something a little lighter for the nights away from base camp.

daycort
12-31-2007, 04:16 PM
I guess nobody uses these.

Kechika
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Look at getting a Sil-Tarp and using your walking sticks.This set up is extremly light and less claustraphobic feeling than a bivy

boomer
12-31-2007, 04:54 PM
I just want to know who uses them and if the bivys with the hoop is preffered or go without the hoop design to save on weight. I do have a back pack tent just looking for something a little lighter for the nights away from base camp.
hi i have two of these.i have the north star bivy it goes foe $65.00
and its green.if you are interested just let me now and we can talk more.

One Shot
12-31-2007, 05:08 PM
I have used bivies for years. I field tested several with hoop type designs when posted at CD Quantico. Although thay gave extra room about the face when closed up, I prefered the standard bivy with a poncho or small fly over head. This allowed more room under cover to do things such as cook, clean/check gear etc. than a hoop style bivy. Fore the most part I found hoops generally got in the way at the sides. I still have a few issue bivies and use one of them. Good luck.

daycort
12-31-2007, 05:28 PM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45327_350001001_350000000_350001000_350-1-1

This is what i use now. Maybe a sil tarp and standard type bivy would be good and light for those 1 or 2 dayers away from the tent. Of course this kind of set up would be for just for a fly in hunt where I could bring a little extra along.

boomer
12-31-2007, 06:36 PM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45327_350001001_350000000_350001000_350-1-1

This is what i use now. Maybe a sil tarp and standard type bivy would be good and light for those 1 or 2 dayers away from the tent. Of course this kind of set up would be for just for a fly in hunt where I could bring a little extra along.
Daycort, just look up in Cabelas the north star bivy and you'll see what i was talking about. The reason I have two was when i ordered I placed a 2 instead of a 1. I use my other one alot for sheep hunting and I love it. Good luck.

daycort
12-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Daycort, just look up in Cabelas the north star bivy and you'll see what i was talking about. The reason I have two was when i ordered I placed a 2 instead of a 1. I use my other one alot for sheep hunting and I love it. Good luck.

ya I kinda knew what you were talking about. I think it is close to the same weight as my two man tent. I was just thinking of a lite lttle bivy with a tarp over head.

boxhitch
01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Good post, D
I bought one from Cabelas, with the intent of using for a light camp, with a tarp.
I found the one got was Water-proof on the top, as if to shed rain. But the underside was not, in the name of breathability. I wanted something to keep me dry from the wet ground, the fly would work for rain.
I returned it.
Will opt for a rubberized ground sheet/poncho and a Siltarp.

How do the ones you guys have work, for what intended purpose ?

Krico
01-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I was a little surprised to find a Mountain Hardware bivy under the tree this Christmas. Looks like it will be good for an ultralight spike camp under a siltarp, or just as an emergency shelter should the need arise. No chance to test how waterproof it is just yet...

threedhunter
01-02-2008, 12:22 PM
mec {ya, bad word here}, years ago made a bivy, i got 2 then, they are both waterproof, breathable,the photo they used tosell them was a bivy with a bag in it tethered to a lakeshore, floating on the lake.niether one has a hoop, they both have a collar around the face that is adjustable,goretex top, pvc nylon bottom if i remember right.they work great, light , we put the yellow pad and our sleeping bags in them, roll them up, set to sleep in in a jiff.:-)

Cappy
01-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I've used the Crysallis from Integral designs and it is great if you are going light. I do like it better than the old CF one I have. If I have the room though I still like to bring a tarp so I don't have to be lying down to be out of the elements and have room to cover more gear.

Shade Tree
01-03-2008, 12:09 PM
The thought of spending a rainy Sept. night in a bivy on the sheep mountain...
well I don't want to think about it because it conjures up some nasty images.

pupper
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Well, I know cameron hanes uses a bivy sack from outdoor research that is made of gore tex so its 100% water proof and wieghts 2 lbs.

I use an frosty ridge tent by columbia, it is a small 2 man. It is better to use a tent if than both of you bringing bivy sacs. If you only bivy hunt by yourself than it is better to get the bivy sac.

here is what I bought, 5 lbs shipping wieght:
http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Frosty-Ridge-Solo-Tent/dp/B000Q51I7S/ref=sr_1_2/103-8640316-1576617?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1199391649&sr=8-2

pupper
01-03-2008, 02:11 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Justin_and_tent_thumb.jpg
here is my tent in action

kutenay
01-09-2008, 09:28 AM
I have used bivies extensively since 1969 and had several of them, I have found Integral Designs to be the best and I now have three of theirs plus a bivy shelter called a Mega Sola in OD, that is THE bomb for a serious mountain shelter. I use an ID Silwing tarp as an awning for this or an ID Silponcho, both in OD...WORKS!!!

For the lightest setup, I would go with an ID eVent Unishelter in green plus an ID SyltarpII in OD; I also have eVent ID bivies, the green South Col for hunting day trips where I "might"have to overnight once and a yellow Bugaboo for hiking emergencies.

I use an ID Sylshelter in yellow or a SiltarpIII in OD to make shelters depending on where I am or what I am doing, I avoid bright colours whehn hunting and use them when winter camping, just my preferences.

You cannot buy better gear than ID, I have lots of it, the prices are a bit high, but, nobody builds better gear and it is Canadian.

daycort
01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Lots of talk about siltarps. Is there a specific siltarp that is better then others?

daycort
01-14-2008, 01:56 PM
http://www.schnees.com/products/4617-outdoor-research-alpine-bivy-mojo-blue?template_id=2

How about this Bivy? It looks and sounds pretty good. It has the hoop overhead so you don't feel so clawsterphobic.

kutenay
01-14-2008, 02:05 PM
My buddy has one, too difficult to get into and when used last Sept. in the Chilcotin by a self-styled expert bushman, who came into camp and had "forgotten" his mountain tent, it allowed him to get his bag wet.

I had offered to set up my ID Siltarp III and Bugaboo for him, but, he knew better. So, the following day, I dried his sleeping bag for him as he seemed unsure of how one does this.

An ID bivy, in 15 years of using them, has NEVER let me down and I prefer bivy-tarp camping to any mountain or even wall tent, of which I have a number....except in June-July bug season!

IF, you want a single bivy for all your uses, go with the ID Unishelter, especially the eVent version, it is a superb tool, mine is 14-15 years old now and looks/works like new.

eVent is the best fabric for tents, bivies and shell clothing I have ever tried, it just kicks Gore-Tex's butt. The cost will be forgotten after you use this rig a few times.

ryanb
01-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Lots of talk about siltarps. Is there a specific siltarp that is better then others?

The large siltarp is more versatile I find. Personally, I would never use it as my primary means of shelter in BC, but to each there own. Bugs, wind, rain...a tarp (and bivy for that matter) is very inferior to a solid light weight tent.

I use the tarp as either an "emergency" shelter or in camp to have a sheltered area to cook/sit. Things you will want are at least 4-6 lightweight stakes, and some lightweight nylon string for guy ropes. The stakes and rope combined with either your hiking poles or sticks found laying about allow you to make a shelter just about anywhere, and in any shape to suit the situation. They are really handy for waiting out a rain shower or for setting up where you want to glass for a few hours.

kutenay
01-14-2008, 03:16 PM
That about nails it and I use my bivy/tarp combos for side trips from a vehicle or a base camp. BUT, you will be surprised what foul weather youi can be comfortable in as you get experience using these.

Also, an ID Silwing-South Col eVent bivy weighs 2 lbs. and it WILL work in really sch*tty conditions, no tent worth packing is that light and this is the major benefit of bivies. In summer rains, I have gone for a week at a time in the Valhallas, solo, with this type of rig and it was just fine.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I've got the Siltarp II and it's all you need for a cooking fly/backpack storage/rainwater gathering/glassing cover for two people. Probably one of the most valuable pieces of gear in my pack. To anchor it down in strong winds make sure you have at least 7 pegs. If it starts to get windy place large rocks on the pegs as it can make a world of difference. We had some pretty wicked wind/rain storms roll through last Aug while chasing Stones'.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/2007stonehunt0092.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/2007stonehunt0362.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/stonehunt2005.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/2007StoneHunt031.jpg

Amazing piece of gear!

I've got a friend the bought the MEC version and he had to have extra loops sewn on. He wishes be went with the Siltarp.

SSS

115 or bust
01-14-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm not too familiar with bivy sacks or other light weight camping options. Used a tarp a little for summer camping but on the island you can usually hit the alpine and still make it home for dinner (getting a little tired of climbing through slashes in the dark on the way home though;)) How would you guys reccomend setting up for these situations??

Dayto
01-15-2008, 12:48 AM
8X10 Tarp Army Bivy with Sleeping bag and Foamy INSIDE the bivy.

BCrams
01-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Good post, D
I bought one from Cabelas, with the intent of using for a light camp, with a tarp.
I found the one got was Water-proof on the top, as if to shed rain. But the underside was not, in the name of breathability. I wanted something to keep me dry from the wet ground, the fly would work for rain.
I returned it.
Will opt for a rubberized ground sheet/poncho and a Siltarp.

How do the ones you guys have work, for what intended purpose ?

Whatever happened to just throwing your rain gear on and hunkering underneath a tree or rocky over hang? Or even rolling up in a sheep bed out of the wind. Pull your knees to your chest and fall asleep?

daycort
01-15-2008, 10:59 PM
thanks for all the tips. Trying to eliminate setting the tent up and down all the time. I think I will invest in a siltarp for sure and a bivy. I will probably be rubbing feet for another year!!

boxhitch
01-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Whatever happened to just throwing your rain gear on and hunkering underneath a tree or rocky over hang? Or even rolling up in a sheep bed out of the wind. Pull your knees to your chest and fall asleep?PIoneer gear and a high quality packable down-filled sweater, and a Snickers. Have had a couple of long nights waiting to find a way down.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Whatever happened to just throwing your rain gear on and hunkering underneath a tree or rocky over hang? Or even rolling up in a sheep bed out of the wind. Pull your knees to your chest and fall asleep?

You gave that up right as soon as you bought a Siltarp:D!

SSS

calvin L
01-16-2008, 06:48 AM
After hunting with SSS & Dutchy and having been under the siltarp in heavy rain ,snow & hail . I would not be with out one . I bought one from Linda at outdoor adventure gear in kelowna $149.00. It was some of the best money I have spent on gear . I can't wait to get out and use it for bear hunting .

Calvin L

dukester
01-16-2008, 07:44 AM
get yourself a parachute, cut in half and spray with nylon water repellent. its the lightest material out there. Quinn the Eskimo in Saskatoon has them.

BCrams
01-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Sil-tarps should be a part of every backpack hunters gear, no matter where you are hunting. They're also a great to pack in a day pack for an emergency / temp. shelter if needed.

Their are numerous set up options you can use to fit your needs.

I used the MEC version for several years before I bought the sil-tarp 3 years ago.

daycort
01-24-2008, 04:25 PM
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=776&CFID=61111&CFTOKEN=92945637&mainproducttypeid=1

Hey kutney, is this a good one to use? Or would go with one without the overhead hoop.? Seems you know your stuff about these things.

daycort
02-09-2008, 09:16 PM
http://www.integraldesigns.com/photos/bunm.jpg

how about this one. it looks pretty good

Tikka7mm
02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I was on the Alaska outdoors website and this same thread came up and the most common response was "Bibler". All the guys up there swear by these supposedly. I don't know much about them but from waht I gathered of their website they seemed really good. Here are a few links...

http://www.bdel.com/gear/firstlight.php

http://www.bdel.com/gear/lightsabre.php

http://www.bdel.com/gear/mids_overview.php

Brambles
02-09-2008, 11:10 PM
check these out

http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

kutenay
02-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Daycort, the first one you posted is the eVent Unishelter from Integral and it is the BEST bivy now available; I would choose one in dark green paired with an ID Siltarp III for my top pick at present, the tarp in OD and a Siltarp II if you want to save six ounces.

Bibler is not as good, based on owning one of their Solo Dome tents from 1991 to 2007; they WERE a fine rig, but, now are overly complex, heavier and they use a coating on their fabric that seriously impedes H20 transfer. This is to meet fire regs. in Kaliforney, etc., where a lot of their market is.

Another option I like is the Integral Mega Sola plus Silwing in OD, this is my favourite overall backpack hunting shelter. Buy Integral , it is the best AND it is CANADIAN, eh!

daycort
02-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for your input kutenay, I was leaning towards the eVent Unishelter.

daycort

srupp
02-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Just a 'question" and comment..the areas I have hunted up high blow like a SOB and the rain has been KILLER..these bivowac style sleeping pods dont seem comfortable (I have never used one)

Can someone more computer orientated PLEASE post the NEW Mountain hardware SUPER LIGHT SOLO TENTS.
Now I have Mountain hardware 4 season tent for moose etc..ist a bomproof shelter PERIOD so Mtn HARWARE makes phenomial tents etc.

So this NEW tent for SHEEPHUNTERS caught my attention in style and weight..it has a small vestibule is guaranteed waterproof and made by mtn hardware the materials and construction you know will be PRIMO.

They have the 2 person that weighs in at UNDER 3.5 pounds..3 season however the solo STILLETO 1 is a solo tent that with everything weighs in at UNDER 2.5 pounds...bug proof , tremendous ventelation system and absolutley guaranteed rain proof..sounds pretty good..

Any feedback...I am looking at one for Sept sheep hunt..

Also a custom made sleeping bag to MY specifications weight , temp custom size and absolute minimum weight..should have tent AND sleeping bag at under 4 pounds 4 oz...

Steven

bighornbob
02-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Here you go Steven. these tents are basically like the Big Agnus Seedhouse SL tents. They are just a mesh top with a silcone fly.

This one is a 1 person
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/OU9421x.jpg

this is a 2 person

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/OU9422x.jpg

This is what I carry a Big Agnus Seedhouse SL
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/BAG0020.jpg

My big agnus weighs in at 3lb 6oz. and I think the two person MH weighs about the same. The one person weighs less.

BHB

kutenay
02-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I had about what you want, a custom Bibler Solo Dome in Toddtex aka Gore-Tex with a custom GT-Down Feathered Friends bag that takes a Thermarest in a bottom sleeve. I had this gear made in 1989-90 and I weighed less than ANY combo I had tried to that date.

The tiny tent was too restrictive for other than emergency use and the bag was slightly too tight for me, although it was/is of superb quality and I still have it in my gear room. I will suggest that you might look at the new Golite standing tarp shelters plus your bag can be made by Nunatak if down and nobody I know of bothers to make custom synthetic bags, why would they?

Mountain Hardware gear IS about as good as any of the standard stuff and superior to most; it is FAR from the "best". The Hilleberg tents are much superior, BUT, they do cost a few $$$$ more......

My current idea of a Sheep camp is a Hilleberg Soulo tent and a custom bag or WM Light Dimension bag, mine is the Alpinlite Super and it is a fine rig.

If, you will pay the coin, you can get a Valandre Mirage bag from www.bearriveroutfitters.org (http://www.bearriveroutfitters.org) and these ARE the finest I have seen/used, this includes Integral Designs, Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends, my Shocking Blue, a gift from a friend in the USA is just phenomenal....the PRICE, well............

If, you must have a tent, then your options are limited and you may not be able to get to your weight standard. Here are some options.

Black Diamond Firstlight-epic-very light 3 season tent

Nunatak gear-google their site-bags, etc.

www.Westernmountaineering.com-among (http://www.Westernmountaineering.com-among) the finest down bags buil today

srupp
02-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Kuetnay..exellent links with great products..I still think that Mountain hardware is pretty hard to beat..when you see Everest expeditions I havnt recognized many other makes but there sure are a LOT of Mountain harware..if good enougg for Everests winds cold and snow Im sure they will work great for moose camp and have for 4 years.... so Im certain their 2 pound 2 oz sheep tent will work..Im still checking out the sleeping bag links..I learn so much here every day..THANKS Kutenay for exellent links and info. appreciate it.

Steven

Gamebuster
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
damn kut, you must have one helluva gear room!

harder rd
02-26-2008, 12:10 AM
I have a us army bivy that I GOT OFF EBAY FOR 60 BUCKS. I love it. It is just a bag cover but I use it with a light pack tent (also off ebay ) and light sleeping bag. bivy adds 10 degrees to sleeping bag and keeps everything dry. and if you put damp close in between sleeping bag and bivy .the gortex will allow the moisture out and actualy dry your gear. but watch out gortex dose not like an open flame. oh ya total whight of tent bivy and bag is less than 6lbs.

Kody94
02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Kutenay....you are going to cost me a fortune. :) Have been following up on all your recommendations, and have to thank you for all the great tips.

Thanks,
4ster

Shade Tree
02-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Kutenay....you are going to cost me a fortune. :) Have been following up on all your recommendations, and have to thank you for all the great tips.

Thanks,
4ster
If you get the good stuff the 1st time around it is way cheaper in the long run. I bet Kute spent 5 times that amount getting to where he's at now.

Kody94
02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
If you get the good stuff the 1st time around it is way cheaper in the long run. I bet Kute spent 5 times that amount getting to where he's at now.

You bet. I got geared up with some fairly decent gear between '98 and 2000...just finally feel like I can justify upgrading. :) My investments in backpacking equipment wouldn't be a drop in Kutenay's bucket I am sure.

kutenay
03-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I have been at this since the early '60s and that is why I have used so much different gear. I also used to live in the wilderness for months on end and I have ALWAYS bought the best available, it simply gives you a little more security when alone, as I usually am/was and is a better value in the longterm, IMHO.

There are lots of good choices, BUT, there are also a FEW makers who consistently make the best and I have suggested some of these here. I apy very little attention to what is used on big mountaineering expeditions as these get their gear for free and ALWAYS have lots of backup gear in case of failure, which you will not. Something worth considering, IMHO.

I will flatly state that in over 40 years of serious backpack camping, I have NEVER seen tents the equal of Hillebergs and most experienced users who have tried them agree. If, you truely want the BEST, well, these will amaze you and they are as light as anything of equal size that you can find.

However, it is not my intention to denigrate ANYONE's choices of gear, merely to pass on what I have learned by experience. As to my gear room, I can get by. It ain't about $$$$, it's about doing your utmost and using what really works for your needs. Some like quads and huge 4x4s, I prefer to backpack and use the best gear I can find.

daycort
03-12-2008, 09:56 AM
http://estore.websitepros.com/stores/1764795/catalog/AktoGrn-Web.jpg

This is what I think I am going to get a Hilleberg Akto single man tent. 2lbs 14 oz. It is more of a sub sandwich then a burito.

kutenay
03-12-2008, 06:15 PM
I would call Charlie at Bearriveroutfitters in Utah for one of these, he is at 435-764-1111 and I have been extremely pleased with my dealings with him. He uses the gear he sells and can thus give an honest appraisal of it's function in the field.

The Akto is a bit more difficult to erect than a Soulo, but, it is about as good as it gets for Sheep-Mulie-Goat hunting. I know that I seem to rave on about these tents, but, they truely are just awesome.

Brambles
03-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm going to try one of these, my brother bought one and never used it so I'm gonna pilfer it, dont get much lighter than these. Lots of pictures of various places they have been used, as well as Everest, which seems a little optimistic to me, but what the hell do I know!!!

http://www.tarptent.com/

daycort
06-04-2008, 10:49 PM
well my new back packing rig showed up this week and I went with the siltarp 2 and the Big Agnes 3 wire event bivy. it is pretty close to the same as the ID event bivy, just a little cheaper is all. When I get home from camp I will sleep outside in the rain to try it out. total weight is under 3 pounds.

ChrisL
06-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I've got a South Col bivy sack that I bought from MEC a few years back. It is nice and light and completely waterproof, but I don't generally get as good a sleep as I do in my tent. Maybe it's the "I'm a convinient bear snack" dreams :razz:. It's also difficult to dry out your socks and boots in one.

If I was to do it again, I'd get something like this:

http://www.bdel.com/gear/oneshot.php

Chris.