PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Teacher

buckguy
12-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in taking a newbie(me...lol) spring bear hunting? I am only going into my second year of hunting and do not have friends or family that hunt so makes it a little tough to learn on your own.Looking for more of a teacher as I have never harvested game, but what i lack in knowledge I make up for with heart and enthusiasum.If this up your alley and you are looking to make a new friend and pass on some skills please get back to me.I am in Surrey area.

Thank you

300H&H
12-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey Newbie, So ya wanna chase a baar do ya ? Well if you ever come to the Okanagan just PM me. The best time to hunt them is around May long weekend. Last time out we saw over 20 a day. I have a spot not far from Revelstoke. The trout are spawning at that time so the bears come down for a feast. You need to deside what color phase of bear and hold out for it. Shooting range will vary 15-125 yards. It all depends on your nerve :eek:.

300H&H
12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot...the new guy ALWAYS buys Tim Hortons when we go out. :-D

pupper
12-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I suggest doing some reading and watch some bear hunting videos. You can buy online or rent videos from wayne @ big game archery in Abbotsford.604-859-2086

Here are some articles on bear hunting to get you started:

Scouting for black bears:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Scouting_For_Bear_Hunting

black bear hunting:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Black_Bear_Hunting_Tips_And_Tricks

bear rug field care preparations:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Field_Preparation_for_A_Bear_Skin_Rug

hope that helps

mikek blacktail
12-28-2007, 03:22 PM
if your ever coming to the island in the spring there's lots of bears here I'll take you out.

buckguy
12-28-2007, 07:53 PM
thanks guys, really appreciate it and with 3 months till opening day I can hardly wait.We will see if '08 will be my year.(hoping so.looking for deer , moose and bear)......gonna be fun!

BearSniper
12-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Welcome:D

Bears are fun. Lots around and in varying colours and sizes.

You can PM me & I'll give you a few locations.

Spring is productive as they munch on grass before their tummies get back to normal to chow down on solid meat & bone etc.

If you find green grass along a hillside, you'll find bears. $20 bucks a tag.

Good luck :-D

humble hunter
12-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Just drive up the squamish mainline logging road middle to the end of April at dusk and you will have no problem finding a bear. They start to be a real pain in the behind around then. I sometimes go out with my bow behind my house but I have a hard time shooting one as I already have a nice rug and the meat is unedible. My dog won't even touch it. Last year I got within 15 yards of a nice brown phase and I could not bring myself to shoot it. I will take you out though. PM me at season opening, I will have the trail cameras up and will know what it around. I will be going out in the morning to check the camera and see if can get a shot of the wolves that have been hanging around here.

buckguy
12-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Am up for anything and love to learn,have been in bush most of my life but never hunted,so looking for the next step.Wife(Liz) says she needs a rug and I need some sausage and pepperoni(lol)and looking to make some friends that actually hunt! :wink:

Steeleco
12-28-2007, 11:15 PM
The FIRST thing you can do for yourself is get lots of practice at a range. With practice comes confidence and familiarity with your rifle. Spring isn't that far away, we may be able to work out a day trip closer to the time.

hunter1947
12-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Private Message sent to you ,welcome to the forum Buckguy.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

mntman
12-29-2007, 09:01 AM
p.m. sent...........

huntwriter
12-29-2007, 09:17 AM
This is without a doubt one of the best treads I have read on this forum in a long time. Passing our hunting heritage on to others and invite them with open arms plus be willing to guide them personally on their first steps is a very important part of our legacy.

Congratulations to all the hunters that offered buckguy to guide him personally. Young and new hunters can do all the reading and hunting courses they want but nothing beats the personal one to one coaching in the field.

buckguy
12-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Thans to all guys that have offered themselves to take a newbie out with them.I know it may be a little apprehensive at first but like Huntwriter said we must pass on the knowledge to keep new people interested in the sport.I hope to pass on my knowledge and as well learn with my son and hope it will continue from here.The overwhelming support here makes a newbie like me feel welcome....so thanks again to all . :grin: