PDA

View Full Version : Hunting the Mtns btw Lillooet and Lytton

Rob
12-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Has anyone huted for Mulies in the Mountains between Lillooet and Lytton? I guess this would be South of Seton Lake area. Thanks Rob

Machinist
12-27-2007, 06:50 PM
I have Hunted Mulie's in the Botain Valley the McGulviray and
Rough Creek , All three access roads go off to the East when you are travelling from Lytton toward's lillooet , The only turnoff that is easy to find is the Botaine it's 5 Km out of Lytton you can't miss is the other two you have to watch for, Look on a Map and you will see where they turn off , The terrain is quite steep so lot's of Hikeing is needed we have taken several good deer out of that area over the year's.The Rough creek road goes up real high and when you look to the West
( Across the Fraser river ) you are looking at the Stein Valley area.

Rob
12-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks were you guys backpack hunting/camping? Rob

bsa30-06
12-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I have hunted botanie mountain,izman creek forestry rd,skunka rd,illiwasin creek forestry rd,up around ruddicks dam, and around the other side of the IR at botanie lake.Some area's in there that look like they should produce, but your talkin to the worst hunter on the planet so my success in this area has not been great.More bears then deer in my opinion.Hope this helps. Good luck.

frenchbar
12-27-2007, 08:11 PM
I have hunted botanie mountain,izman creek forestry rd,skunka rd,illiwasin creek forestry rd,up around ruddicks dam, and around the other side of the IR at botanie lake.Some area's in there that look like they should produce, but your talkin to the worst hunter on the planet so my success in this area has not been great.More bears then deer in my opinion.Hope this helps. Good luck.
Most weekends early in the season in the areas you mentioned there are more dirt bikes cruzin the hills than there is game:evil: There isnt a hill up there that hasnt got a dirt bike trail through it. But if ya like the sound of a 2 stroke its the place to hunt.

bsa30-06
12-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Most weekends early in the season in the areas you mentioned there are more dirt bikes cruzin the hills than there is game:evil: There isnt a hill up there that hasnt got a dirt bike trail through it. But if ya like the sound of a 2 stroke its the place to hunt.

Yep your absolutely right in almost all those area's you will find dirt bikes in the early part of the season.I'm usually there in october and have rarely seen a dirt bike.I have also noticed that the deer seem to like to use some of those dirt bike trails later in the season.The izman creek forestry rd is also road hunted pretty heavily by locals, but if your not scared to do a little walking you can get away from that.I called a bull moose out up izman this year unfortunately was unable to get a shot at it.I called it again about a week later but only got it to answer my calls that time.There has also been some recent logging up izman creek rd (known locally as 3300).I think that just about sums up that area.

Ltbullken
12-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I've hunted Mulies just south of Duffy Lake up on the alpine. Beautiful - saw goats and 15 deer, mostly does but some small bucks. We were looking for the brute but he didn't show. Haven't hunted there for a while and there might be some washouts that will complicate things... I'll need to go have a look, I think.

tufferthandug
12-28-2007, 11:13 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13176&highlight=Carpenter+lake

rifleman
12-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I have also hunted the rough creek area. There are a few deer if you are road hunting. I like to back pack into the alpine, less pressure more deer.
We saw a few good bucks but could'nt get a shot off. At the end of the road there is a trail that we start at & walk from there.

David Heitsman
12-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I helied over the Texas Creek area last year on a sheep count and it looked like good mule deer habitat. There definetley is a problem with ATV's and dirt bikes in the alpine in there as well. The biologists with me expressed concern in other areas we were flying over too.

I have asked a bit about Texas Creek before but the info has been spotty.

MichelD
12-29-2007, 03:24 PM
If there is much more alpine burning going on by dirt bikes and ATVs there will probably soon be more motorized vehicle closed areas, punishing the responsible bikers and quad users along with the others.

Machinist
12-29-2007, 04:20 PM
That's probably the same trail that we Hke in on , it's a good GRUNT up that trail into the Alpine , But worth it , When we get above the tree line on the Trail we turn right , walk aprox 3 Km then go up there are some nice draw's to look into from there .

I have also hunted the rough creek area. There are a few deer if you are road hunting. I like to back pack into the alpine, less pressure more deer.
We saw a few good bucks but could'nt get a shot off. At the end of the road there is a trail that we start at & walk from there.

Rob
12-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Thats what Id like to do, find an area that your able to accsess the alpine area and camp/hike for a day or two looking for Mulies. Thanks for all the info guys, Rob.

Rob
01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Are there Grizzly's in this part of the country?

Kechika
01-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Are there Grizzly's in this part of the country?

Many will say NO but..;)

frenchbar
01-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Rare to see a grizz in that neck of the woods,but you will see some nice blackies.

Rob
01-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Nice to know what one may encounter:wink:.thanks. Rob

MichelD
01-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I've seen the alpine ploughed by a griz digging up marmots up above the duffey lake road.

oscar makonka
01-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Quite a few grizzlies in 3-16. Across the Fraser on the 3-17 side they would be few and far between if any.

bsa30-06
01-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Never seen any griz in the lytton area of 3-17

frenchbar
01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
The odd one ive heard about over the yrs have been sighted in botonie valley.

bsa30-06
01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
[quote=frenchbar;224939]The odd one ive heard about over the yrs have been sighted in botonie valley.[/quote

Saw a monster bear that i only got a quick look at, it could have been a griz definately had the size.Some of the locals say there in there.

frenchbar
01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I .know they had one up there quite a few yrs back that made some of the local farmers cows lunch.

Kechika
01-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Never seen any griz in the lytton area of 3-17
From what Ive herd youve never seen a deer either.LOL

kennyj
01-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Dad saw what he was sure was a grizzly sow with a cub in 3-31.I saw a beautiful blond colored blackbear on botanie mtn a few years back.

frenchbar
01-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Dad saw what he was sure was a grizzly sow with a cub in 3-31.I saw a beautiful blond colored blackbear on botanie mtn a few years back.3-31 is definatly home to the Grizzly bear. useually a few up near the northern part of 3-31 towards the Gang and Churn crk area.

bsa30-06
01-02-2008, 10:26 PM
From what Ive herd youve never seen a deer either.LOL

Yup your right about that,fewer deer then grizzlies in that area.:smile:

TIKA 300
01-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Wife and i were in Littlewet back in june 07.We drove the road to Gold Bridge-Bralorne,and on the way back about 30 kms from town,i spotted a stump moving within the sage,which thru the binos turned out to be a small griz (very distinct hump) Spotted a brown bear up @ Kwoiek in aug 06 which i am positive was a griz,but only got to see a split second of face,than a@# into the bush.Have had a yes and no answer to that one so the jury is still out. TK

PS:Talked with a guy that grew up in BB,and claims his parents ranch has griz @ it in the spring .......

hunter11
01-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Grizzly up by pemberton area this fall. Eating the cows and buggin' the horses. Massive animals.

ryanb
01-03-2008, 12:29 AM
There's grizz all over 3-16, 3-33, 3-32, 3-31, but between lytton and lilloet on the east side of the river, 3-17, I doubt there are many.

KevinB
01-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I haven't seen any grizz in 3-17, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was the odd one around. I did spot one just at the northern tip of 3-14 several years ago.

Husky7mm
01-05-2008, 03:07 PM
This is very nice country, the alpine is beautiful. All the deer below lilloet seem to be small in antler and body, but they taste great. Hope you like hiking hard. Yes there are a few grizzlies there, I see one or fresh sign every trip. The biggest problem is the wolves that have moved in. Its really been hard on the deer. I think there coming from the pemperton area. Shoot em up. Cheers

David Heitsman
01-08-2008, 09:47 PM
It would have been in 00 or 01 but I saw a grizz sow and cub during a summer scouting session on the southwest side of Mt. Skihist. They were above treeline and she was rooting for marmots.

Have yet to see a wolf in the area but have seen their tracks in the soft alpine dirt and mud along the glacial pools.

Too bad they closed the area for G-bear but I was told by the biologists that it wasn't necessarily that area (3-16) was the problem but that the whole area had to be managed to the worse zone within the area. Did I explain that properly?

Ferenc
06-03-2015, 10:23 PM
I haven't seen any grizz in 3-17, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was the odd one around. I did spot one just at the northern tip of 3-14 several years ago.

Yes I know of at least one in 3-14,ran into a conservation officer trailering one up a few years ago.. He turned left from the East Anderson to release him.