PDA

View Full Version : Track your hunt

gathto
12-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi new to the site and first post. Been looking for a few weeks but didn't want to contribute anything that wasn't of any use.

Now that next years scouting and looking for new areas (just moved to Kelowna) is at the top of my list I usually like looking for new items related to hunting as well.

Found one, take a look at www.findmespot.com (http://www.findmespot.com) it is a personal locator/tracking device that works off of satellite. For those of us that like to trek of further than most it would be great to have the track device and review your hunt later. Would give the family piece of mind to. Anyway, thought is was cool.

tuchodi
12-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Looks like a good unit but if you hunt with any buddies think about everyone in the party getting the Garmin Rino's. They are a GPS and Radio unit combined and they also show where all your buddies with the Rino's are on your GPS screen. They have helped out many times.

gathto
12-26-2007, 06:45 PM
I agree, I already have the Rino as well. I liked this one because of the Google tracking ability.

Kody94
12-26-2007, 10:27 PM
I think I prefer a regular GPS for locations, but that looks like a cool safety check in device for people working alone in the bush. Would also be great for solo hunts, rather than packing a Satt phone. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
4Ster

gearjunkierob
12-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Good first post. I also started a thread on this in the "Hunting Gear" forum: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17151 so you might find some more info there.

islandstalker
12-27-2007, 03:59 AM
according to google earth if your a "premium member" you can veiw your track logs on it. has anyone tried this?

ruttinbuck
12-27-2007, 07:24 AM
It says on the bottom of the page linked the spot can't be shipped to Canada.RB

gathto
12-27-2007, 07:45 AM
I found a link for dealers, there are several in BC I found a dealer in Kelowna so I am going to check it out

ruttinbuck
12-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I found a link for dealers, there are several in BC I found a dealer in Kelowna so I am going to check it out
can you post that link pls?

gathto
12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
www.omegacom.ca If you go back to the findmespot site and click on buy now a drop down menu appears and you can click on the dealer locator as well

jwe63
10-08-2008, 08:12 PM
I'll try to resurrect this thread. Anybody buy one or try one? Wild tv seems to be advertising them. ......Well? Anyone used one? Comments?

ElectricDyck
10-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Yep. Keeps the wife happy with the oks and I don't have to stop at pay phones anymore. I feel reassured as well. Doesn't work in my truck on the dash between hope and lytton. Works excellent in the alpine. Like it says you do need a clear view of the sky.

Oh yeah and you need to be conscious of the fact you can press buttons by accident. If you search you'll find some personal experiences.

zaconb
10-08-2008, 08:40 PM
I've had a rino since they first came out, so have my buddies, we love them. I bought a SPOT a few weeks ago and tried it on a chuckar hunt, it's a great unit. The safety features of this unit are outstanding and really a must have for anyone in the outdoors but the tracking and share funtions really make the SPOT an extremily versitile gadget. I tested the tracking and share function and allowed the tracking website to email a web link to my friends so they could view the progress of my hunt. With one click they zoomed into the area i was hunting with 10 minute updates with google earth! COOL!

ElectricDyck
10-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I tested the tracking and share function and allowed the tracking website to email a web link to my friends so they could view the progress of my hunt. With one click they zoomed into the area i was hunting with 10 minute updates with google earth! COOL!

We did the same with the wives of my friends I was hunting with. They also got the ok messages. Worked well.

Mr. Dean
10-08-2008, 11:39 PM
London Drugs sells them. I recently bought one from them.

Steeleco
10-09-2008, 12:27 AM
SRUPP is a field tester and an active member on this site.

o2fish2day
10-09-2008, 10:31 PM
London Drugs sell em

Wolfman
10-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi new to the site and first post. Been looking for a few weeks but didn't want to contribute anything that wasn't of any use.

Now that next years scouting and looking for new areas (just moved to Kelowna) is at the top of my list I usually like looking for new items related to hunting as well.

Found one, take a look at www.findmespot.com (http://www.findmespot.com) it is a personal locator/tracking device that works off of satellite. For those of us that like to trek of further than most it would be great to have the track device and review your hunt later. Would give the family piece of mind to. Anyway, thought is was cool.

Welcome aboard.

Wolfman