PDA

View Full Version : Ridgedale Club Questions

FlyingHigh
12-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking at joining the Ridgedale club. But I have a couple questions.

I like to shoot at watermelons, old computers, bottles, cans and stuff. Is there a range at Ridgedale that I can do this at? (yes, I always clean up)

How busy is the rifle range on an average day? For the most part, I like to shoot alone and generally be left to my own devices, though I'm not adverse to a few others being there.

Chances are, I'm not going to be able to make many of the club meetings due to my work schedule. I'll see what I can do but if I can't make many, is this a big deal?

I wear prescription glasses, and therefore don't wear official "safety" glasses when shooting. Do I have to get special safety glasses, or will be prescription glasses suffice?

And a question just for shits and giggles:

Can I shoot a .50BMG at the Ridgedale range?

islandstalker
12-24-2007, 06:46 PM
good questions, i await answers .

mainland hunter
12-24-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm not a member there but Id be surprised if they let you shoot bottles and other stuff. missions club has a pumpkin shoot every year which is kinda fun. I dont think you need any safety glasses for shooting.
Ridgedale has a good 3D course but there rifle range is really lacking imo. would be nice for there to be a proper rifle range in the abbotsford area where you can shoot to at least 300 yds or more.

One Shot
12-24-2007, 07:22 PM
As far as safety glasses go, your Rx glasses are most likely have polycarbonate lenses and will suffice as a subsititute for safety glasses although not ANSI/CSA approved. This is a general acceptance at most ranges.

As far as shooting computers bottles and cans etc....well. Bottles as long as they are plastic and cans are fine as long as you clean them up. Glass on the other hand I do not believe belongs on the range.

Computers electronics etc. I personnaly do not like to see at the range as the range facilities become a disposal facility for your shot out s#*t where those items should have been disposed of through an approved disposal facility or recycle agency. It is not fair to the range or other members to burden them to dispose of with what you do not want any more and and where you can't be bothered to dispose of properly at home.

Steeleco
12-24-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm only a member there but I would e-mail the member chair to get your answers 100%.

IIRC No you can't shoot monitors etc, they damage the lawn cutting equipment. No matter how well you try to clean up, stuff gets missed.
I have shot smaller "organic" items no trouble!!

The place is often deserted if you go week days before the various evening meetings. I, like you, can't get to meetings as work often gets in the way. I do plan on helping out a lot more when they have work bees!!

I've never had anyone say anything about mandatory safety glasses, I don't where them while shooting. Yes I know better!!!

It is a good range despite the lack of a 200+ yards range.

If you like one day in early Jan I'll take you on a visitors pass for $3 but only if you bring the BMG!!!!!
I've got a new stick to break in!!

kishman
12-24-2007, 09:13 PM
I doubt they'd allow the shooting of monitors, bottles etc, at any range in the LM.

Steeleco
12-24-2007, 10:09 PM
I doubt they'd allow the shooting of monitors, bottles etc, at any range in the LM.

Maybe that's why Sylvester road is such a pig sty!!! :twisted::twisted:

FlyingHigh
12-24-2007, 10:41 PM
If you like one day in early Jan I'll take you on a visitors pass for $3 but only if you bring the BMG!!!!!
I've got a new stick to break in!!

hahaha. thanks. i may take you up on that. unfortunately, i don't have a BMG yet. I just wanna know if I can shoot it at the range when i get it. thanks for the info guys!

David Heitsman
12-24-2007, 11:40 PM
I signed up in Mission allthough I live only minutes from Ridgedale but to join when I moved to the area a few years ago you had to go to a meeting on a certain day of each month and explain why you wanted to be a member.

My work, volunteer, hunting and golf schedule doesn't allow me to plan very far ahead so I joined Mission. They have 300 yd capacity and will let you shoot even when there is an archery or shotgun meet. Ridgedale did not at the time as the ranges were two close together. Mission is always inviting participation from it's members but meetings are not mandatory.

As to shooting objects other than targets, I've never seen it done there before aside from the pumpkin shoot allready mentioned.

You might like the cowboy action shooting that they do there then as they have different targets.

r106
12-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't let you shoot the bmg there, the back stop is a mountain. I go during the week and most of the time i'm the only one there. I have seen people there shooting milk jugs full of water and that kind of stuff just clean up and take it home, don't leave the range with garbage. As for computers, tv's and that kind of stuff is not a good idea

FlyingHigh
12-25-2007, 01:30 PM
thanks again for the info guys. i may join both Ridgedale and Mission, so i get a bit of variety and can move to the other one is one's too crowded for me. i occasionally get a day or half day off during the week, so i may be able to get to the range then. how busy are they on weekends?

Steeleco
12-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Whichever one you join first, make sure the other has an associate membership. I know Ridgedale offer associate membership for less money than a full member.

kishman
12-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Maybe that's why Sylvester road is such a pig sty!!! :twisted::twisted:

I think that Sylvester Rd. is a sty because most of the folks that go there are pigs who don't want to pick up there own mess and don't give a damn about anyone else but themselves. If we let those same folks loose to do what they want at the club(s) it wouldn't be long before your local club looked just like Sylvester, no thanks.

**This ends my yearly rant:mrgreen:.

FlyingHigh
12-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Whichever one you join first, make sure the other has an associate membership. I know Ridgedale offer associate membership for less money than a full member.

interesting. good to know. so if i join mission first, i can join ridgedale for a reduced membership? rock on.