PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Attack

Rock Doctor
12-22-2007, 02:55 PM
So, yesterday a friend an I took our families out sliding and ended up having a little more excitement than we had anticipated.

There we were having a good time......Rod was towing 3 of the kids (2 four yr olds and a 3 yr old) on a tobogan behind the quad, at the bottom of the hill. I was in the Argo with my 3 month old at the other end of the hill. Rods wife was warming up in the truck with there 2 yr old and my wife was at the top of the hill with our dog...........we had no idea that all hell was about to break loose.........

Two wolves appear out of nowere............and they are heading toward the kids dragging behind the quad.... at first I had no idea what was up, but I heard my wife start yelling. I look up at her and see the dog break out of her arms and start running like mad, diagonally down the hill toward the truck (the direction Rod was heading with the kids). Rod sees the wolves coming, just as he is getting close to the truck, he speeds up a little, but can't go too hard for fear that one of the kids might fall off. As he gets to the truck the wolves are about 20 feet from the kids, on the tobogan. Rod bolts back toward the kids, just as my dog "Shadow" intercepts the lead wolf. Teeth flash and the battle is started............
Rods wife leaps from the truck and starts throwing kids inside, as Rod grabs a shovel from the back of the truck, smashing the shovel blade off as he goes to help the dog. Second wolf is joining the fight, and although Shadow is a very heafty 120lbs+ Rotty Cross, he is not faring all too well. The wolves break away as Rod gets close, but they are not afraid, they circle around and stay about 50 feet out of reach.
I knew I was too far away to be of much use, so at the first sign of the wolves, I wheeled the Argo around and headed toward our little camp. As I arived at the camp, I looked back and caught a glimps of the onset of the fight.........First thought through my mind-"GOOD DOG, If you make it, you get steak dinners for the rest of the month"........I grab my Ruger 10/22 and head back into the fray. By the time I get within range, Rod is making use of his weapons of choice, his Quad, and the shovel handle..... Before I could shoot, he had driven the wolves into the bush. I take a quick look around, make sure everyone is OK, and head in after them.......NO Luck, so I go back. Some decisions must have been made while I was gone, becouse everyone was packed up and headed back to camp......No more sliding today. So, the families are safe in camp, and Rod and I take the ATV's to the shop, to put them away (about 400 yrds from camp). As we walked back, we both see movement by the camp. I never thought much about it for a second, then I thought, "there is NO WAY that my wife would let Shadow out alone right now, what was that". Turns out that Wolf #1 was already back.........Rod and I fall into SNEAKY MODE to get closer........Yup, that is a wolf............My gun comes up, CRACK CRACK, the wolf drops............It's starting to get a little dark by now, and as we get closer to the wolf I say to Rod......."I really hope that's not my dog I just shot" (I knew it wasn't the dog:roll:). Rod looks at me, Eyes wide, "If you just shot your dog, I'm going to be really mad at you".
It wasn't my dog, it was a really nice Silver/Black wolf. Everyone came out to have a look at it, lots of oooohs and aaaaaaww's.
We drag it down to the shop for the night, planning to skin it out in the morning.
The next morning, we had a little problem...............The Wolf Was GONE!!!!

OK, time to put our "Mantracker" skills to the test.........we found some "drag marks" and followed. Turns out that the second wolf was not above a little "Canibalism"........We only found part of the first wolf, but, the second wolf was still in the area, and I just happened to have brought my rifle. Long story short, I got the second one too.
Both wolves were very skinny, although the second one did fill out quite a bit over night.

Shadow managed to get a couple in on this one:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Argo/DSC01172.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Argo/DSC01173.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Argo/IMGP4900.jpg

Rock Doctor
12-22-2007, 02:58 PM
All that's left of the first one:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Argo/DSC01194.jpg

The second one:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Argo/DSC01193.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Argo/DSC01205.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Argo/DSC01196.jpg

For those that are wondering.........My dog Shadow is fine, just a few bumps and bruses. He is also a little timid about going outside alone right now, but that is probably normal, under these conditions

bruin
12-22-2007, 03:05 PM
That's a GOOD dog boy! Lucky it was there! Could've turned into quite a wreck. and a good thing you got them both in the end.

wsm
12-22-2007, 03:06 PM
hope your dog will be ok , congrats on getting the second, it's a good looking animal. glad your family is safe

Gateholio
12-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow!!

What a crazy story!!

Well done on your dogs part, hope he got his steaks!:biggrin:

Ciskman
12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Dude, Thats an incredible story! wow. Where abouts were you?

endtimerwithabow
12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
wow that would have been scary to say the least! glad you got them before they got one of the kids!

M.Dean
12-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Would be nice if this story hit the TV and the news papers, might let the anti hunters know that wolfs do eat meat, any kind of meat!!! Glad you guys made out OK. Takes balls to fight off a wolf with a shovel!!! Where did this take place if you don't mind me asking? Don't forget to cook that extra steak for Shadow!!!

Rock Doctor
12-22-2007, 03:19 PM
This incident occured about 100 kms East of Ft Nelson, at one of my work locations.

browningboy
12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Quite the experience, glad you came out of it okay and get your dog a steak, thats well deserved!

Steeleco
12-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Crazy story. Good to hear all are healthy all be it shaken. Cudo's to your pup.

mud-dog27
12-22-2007, 03:25 PM
id have that guy mounted would make for a good story piece

RMG
12-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a lot of luck, and horseshoes were with you and family.
Good thing wolves are extremely scared of people, and would never consider attacking someone. :rolleyes:

The best of the holiday season to you, your family and friends. Have fun, play safe.

r106
12-22-2007, 03:38 PM
wow!!!! glad to hear your family is safe
________
Venture (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Venture)

Wild one
12-22-2007, 03:40 PM
You know you have a good dog when he will put his life on the line like that.Good things thing you shot those wolves who knows how lucky the next famly would be my hat is off to you guys!

rollingrock
12-22-2007, 03:56 PM
That's crazy! How is the dog doing?

fuzzwilkens
12-22-2007, 04:12 PM
glad to hear everyone is safe and your dog is ok. its always a fear when the kids are out in the bush. it was good you had your .22 around.

bucktrack
12-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Time to put a readers digest story together. make a little $ for your hard work.

*** and they (anti everythings) say there are no reports of wolf attacks on humans, WELL YOU'VE GOT ONE RIGHT HERE***

glad you guys are OK

Shooter
12-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Incredible story. Sure a good thing the dog was there.

Dayto
12-22-2007, 04:36 PM
same thing happend to my group this year In region 5 , the pack came into camp 3 times in one night it was a real gong show when that happend.

gameslayer
12-22-2007, 04:39 PM
You tell a good Story Rockdoctor sounds like a lot of excitment, glad to hear no one besides the wolfs were hurt. I guess it will be only one rug. Thanks for sharing

Nailgunslinger
12-22-2007, 04:41 PM
I think my wife just told me about this bieng on the news if it wasn't you it's a crazy coincidence. I hope your family and dog are doing ok. Tough mutt :-D.

BlacktailStalker
12-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Wow glad it worked out well and you got the *******s. The next people might have not been so lucky. Your dog, I assume you'll take him to the vet for shots ? Any pics of him? Damn tough dog to hold his own on two animals that make a living killing every day.
That first one looks old, how were his teeth?
Second one looks healthy though. Unreal.
Mother nature at its worst.

MooseNuts
12-22-2007, 05:34 PM
We have been having a very similar situation here in Prince Rupert. The wolves have been eating dogs off their leashes, following children to school and helping to control the feral cat population. Here's the kicker, the CO's don't think that there is a problem. Since moving to Rupert in June I have seen upwards of 20 wolves, most of which have been wandering the streets of town. Unlike the 2 you got our wolves look very healthy and they definitely aren't afraid of humans.

I'm glad to hear that you managed to put a stop to 2 wolves. Well done to Shadow too.

Caveman
12-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Wild Story!! Glad to hear everything turned out OK. A nice rug will make a great conservation piece

bsa30-06
12-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Glad it all worked out and everybody is safe.Good doggy.

Lil Buck
12-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Glad everyone is ok..congrats on the moose killers..

Probably save a few dozen..lol

Cheers and merry x-mas to you and your family and your dog

:smile:LB

tufferthandug
12-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Very harsh story! I don't think you'll forget that one anytime soon!

Rock Doctor
12-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Nailgunslinger;
I think my wife just told me about this bieng on the news if it wasn't you it's a crazy coincidence. I hope your family and dog are doing ok. Tough mutt :grin:.

The dog is doing fine, as a matter of fact, we can't find any holes in him, he is just a little tender here and there.
Must be a coincidence, you guys here are the first to hear my story.

BlacktailStalker;
Wow glad it worked out well and you got the *******s. The next people might have not been so lucky. Your dog, I assume you'll take him to the vet for shots ? Any pics of him? Damn tough dog to hold his own on two animals that make a living killing every day.
That first one looks old, how were his teeth?
Second one looks healthy though. Unreal.

Yes, Shadow will be checked out as soon as possible.......The closest Vet is about 500kms away.
Pics of the "Hero of the day" are coming, I don't have any handy. Hopefully this evening.
Actually the first wolf is a young female, teeth look like new, but she was very skinny. The second was a male, also fairly young, if the teeth are any indication, but he was not near as skinny as the first one. I assume that he was stealing food from the female.

Neither of these wolves are what I would consider to be big, that is also part of the reason why I think they are on the young side. There heads are not much bigger than Shadow's.

Tanya
12-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing it with us. I am very happy to hear that all went well for kids, parents and loyal Shadow. I agree with the person who said the story should be told. I really believe more people south of the 50th parallel need to hear these stories and get a reality check. These animals have adapted to humans as have bears and are becoming more and more bold.

Here on Vancouver Island we had an incident several years ago right here just outside Duncan. Our neighbor's fiance was walking through the bush from the power lines to home, and was surrounded by 3 wolves that snapped, growled, and circled her, she yelled and threw rocks and sticks and they backed off. We were away hunting and returned to this story and then the same wolves ran 60 of our Holstein heifers through the fence. Long story short - John set traps down at the cow compost pile and the lead female got caught and I shot her. This past spring he trapped another one just behind the barns. Third wolf he trapped on the farm in four years and we live about 7 minutes south of Duncan.

loki
12-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Holy crap man:eek:. Balls of steel is what I read there, I bet your friend makes metal clanky noises when he walks doesn't he :-P?

Mr Dean,
That's a good idea, I will see what I can do.Heh. That's M.Dean, not Mr Dean, they are two different members of this community. Time to change the name M.Dean, confusing people ;).

Jagermeister
12-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Quite the encounter RD and I'm happy to see that you were able to topple the pair.
And they say that wolves never attack a human. well, if they're skinny enough, they attack anything.

Elkhound
12-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Wow Kyle. Glad the kids are okay, must have scared the hell out of them. Good thing shadow was there, but I must say...I love the pics but very disapointed you were not wearing the head cam to get a video:tongue:

But seriously. Glad all is well

CanAm500
12-22-2007, 06:59 PM
RD, did your dog make it our okay?

Tanya
12-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Wow Kyle. Glad the kids are okay, must have scared the hell out of them. Good thing shadow was there, but I must say...I love the pics but very disapointed you were not wearing the head cam to get a video:tongue:

But seriously. Glad all is well

Now there's a thought,:mrgreen: we should all wear one of those when anywhere in the "wild". Man, utube would be overwhelmed!

Chuck
12-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Fantastic story for sure. Sounds like something one would expect to happen back in the last century.
My grandfather (from Russia) told me that they hunted wolves like that by dragging a carcass behind a sleigh that was pulled by horses. Mind you that was a rich man's sport, but was practiced by anyone who had the means (ie. most peasants never had a horse or sleigh or even a gun for that matter).

puppychow
12-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Way to go! Those wolves are not going to harm anyone now. I am very glad that the family and your dog are okay. Your dog deserves a lot of traets. Merry X-mas.

shoot to kill
12-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Fantastic story for sure. Sounds like something one would expect to happen back in the last century.
My grandfather (from Russia) told me that they hunted wolves like that by dragging a carcass behind a sleigh that was pulled by horses. Mind you that was a rich man's sport, but was practiced by anyone who had the means (ie. most peasants never had a horse or sleigh or even a gun for that matter).

what are you, a descendant of Tsar Nicholas or something:razz:

mark
12-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Amazing story with a very happy ending! Sounds like it could of been alot worse!

Rock Doctor
12-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Pics of the "Hero of the day"

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Argo/DSC00512.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Argo/DSC00509.jpg

BearSniper
12-22-2007, 08:21 PM
He looks like a friendly fella. :-)Yes he is the hero.

When you took that picture of him and the wife, I trust you had the 12 guage slung over your shoulder ? The bush looks pretty dense in there.:o

Probably unlikely that a second pair would come running out again to attack, but hey you never know.

Freshtracks
12-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow RD ... now that's an adrenilin pumper. Congrats on dispatching them 2 two. The second one will make a great rug and convo piece.

Good to hear everyone got through it, including one heck of a guardian in Shadow.

boxhitch
12-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Quite the ordeal. Glad everyone is OK and the BG's got what was coming to them.
Also a tribute to the effect of a well placed .22 round...... or 20 !

Fisher-Dude
12-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Good to hear all worked out okay Doc.

That's one of those outdoor ordeals that scares the crap outta ya at the time but makes for a great story later!

BCLongshot
12-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Amazing !

Thanks for the story.

I'll consider it my Christmas present. Ha Ha

I love this province !

6 K
12-22-2007, 09:47 PM
WOW! Amazing story. Did you report it to the C.O.s? Just curious.
Glad your families are safe and the wolves are not:!:
Too bad about the first pelt. Can the skull be salvaged? They can make a conversation piece too.
Where did you hit the first one? I was surprized to read a .22 l.r. dropped her. Then again you did say they seemed small and skinny. To be sure I am not questioning your choice of weapon, I would have grabbed anything handy to defend my family too, even a shovel LOL:lol:
Seriously kudos to you, your friend and your dog. Well worth his salt/steak. Again very happy to hear all the good guys came out O.K.
Merry Christmas.

Mtn Man
12-22-2007, 09:48 PM
amazing story, glad you and your family are o.k., good thing Shadow is a big dog,. glad to here he is o.k.. and to go after them with a shovel now thats big balls. congrats on the kill, merry christmas.

catwelder
12-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Thank God you are all OK, That dog is hopefully the center of attention for some time to come as you probably know he saved some lives that day. The wolves around here are getting fearless and following us out of the bush now. I will personally be killing every one i see even though i do not condone a total extermination, i do believe some pred's need to have some fear of man instilled back into them.
Give that boy a pat for me.
Chad Bowen

moosinaround
12-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Bison for a month sounds good to that hero!! Glad to hear the crew is all OK. Moosin

troutseeker
12-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Wow!!! Scary story, I'm glad it all turned out ok. Good on you to hunt them down! Give that good dog a pet on my behalf.

Troutseeker

mainland hunter
12-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Unreal. glad to hear your all ok. whats your dog crossed with, rotty's will protect you no matter what. thanks for the story.

Mr. Dean
12-22-2007, 11:55 PM
... Man's BEST friend. :cool:

Chuck
12-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Reply to "Shoot to Kill" - No I'm not related to royalty unfortunately or maybe not. The Grandfather related to me that this was a method of wolf hunting when he was young and living there still. He wasn't able to participate in such sport, as it was considered at that time. I was just relating how curious this incident of the wolves chasing down the tube seemed to relate to the grandfather's story. Odd coincidence or what?

BlacktailStalker
12-23-2007, 03:38 AM
Good lookin dog RD, again, glad all is well.
Better change his name to guardian angel.

pmj
12-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Incredible story:shock:. Lots of heros in this one8). Excellent decision making on the fly and under pressure by every one. Thanks for sharing. I vote this as one of the top stories on this site in 2007http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Deaddog
12-23-2007, 06:25 AM
Another adventure for you and your family rock doctor, glad everyone is ok, this will make your xmas with your kids and family that much more special, glad it worked out, great job, DD

hunter1947
12-23-2007, 06:29 AM
Rock Doctor ,I'm glad everything worked out at the end for you and your family as for your dog http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif. Your dog is a real hero and deserves a big juicy steak ,dogs are part of our family and I'm glad he will be alright http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Walksalot
12-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Good to hear everything and everyone is OK.
A friend commented to me how a dog sleeps most of it's life but my comment back was there are times the hound will lay it on the line. In this instance truer words were never spoken. We try to reward the dog with treats but a few more strokes of the head, rubs of the belly and words of praise is better than a steak to a dog any day of the week.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Crazy!!
With the moose population taking a mjor hit last winter I'm sure we will be hearing about more scary wolf encounters.
Glad everyone is OK!!!

My wife saw the other wolf story on CTVNEWSNET this morning. Three lady joggers with their dogs had a scary encounter with some wolves.

Edit-Just saw the story. Happenned in Alaska and there were signs out warning people about wolves in the area. There were at least 7 wolves and one dog(pitbull) was attacked but was okay after a little surgery. One lady fought them off with pepper spray but they kept coming back and circling the group.

SSS

martyonthewater
12-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Great story, thats why we love our dogs. Not like that a-hole that left the pups to die

Thunderstix
12-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Holy smokes!! That was an awesome story!
PS. "Wolves do not attack humans".....man I get tired of hearing people say that!

Rock Doctor
12-23-2007, 12:19 PM
I would like to thank the Forum Member who so cleverly summerized my story, Great Job. I will not name him, as he has not given me permision to do so, but I have forwarded his "version" to the Province, the Sun, and our local paper as well.

I thank you Sir.

News Release
Saturday December 23, 2007.
Families On Winter Outing Attacked by Wolves.
Two Fort Nelson families on a winter outing December 21, narrowly escaped with out injury when attacked by two wolves. The families were tobogganing 100 km East of Fort Nelson when two wolves started to chase after 3 children (one 4yr old, and two 3yr olds) sitting in a sleigh slowly being towed along the base of a hill by a quad. The driver of the quad (45) year old (Rod ?????) said the wolves appeared out of no where "I saw the wolves and headed the quad towards my truck, I could not go too fast because I was afraid one of the children might fall off of the sleigh".
The wolves were with in 20 feet when the children were hustled in to the truck by Rods wife. At the same instant Shadow, a Rottweiler cross owned by 36 year old (Kyle ?????) intercepted the lead wolf. "Shadow was in my wife’s arms, at the top of the hill." said (Kyle) "When Shadow saw the wolves he immediately broke free and bee lined down the hill to attack the lead wolf." (Kyle) raced in his Argo to grab his Ruger 10/22 rifle which was in their nearby camp. "I was too far away to be of much use so I went for my rifle in our little camp and as I reached camp I looked back and caught a glimpse of the on set of the fight. By the time I got with in range of the fray with my rifle, I saw Rod making use of his shovel handle and quad to drive the wolves into the woods."
"I grabbed a shovel and broke the head off." said (Rod) "By this time, the two wolves were fighting with Shadow. The wolves broke off as I got closer swinging my shovel handle, but they were not afraid and stayed about 50 feet out circling us. I then used the quad to drive them into the woods."
"As Shadow was taking on the two wolves I (Kyle) was thinking: Good dog, you get steak dinners for the rest of the month if you make it through this”. “After the attack Shadow had some bumps and bruises but I could not find any holes on him.".
The families returned to camp only to find one of the wolves came back almost immediately. (Kyle) managed to shoot the wolf. Next morning the carcass of the shot wolf was gone. After following the drag marks its partially consumed carcass was found, (about 300 Meters away) guarded by the other wolf which was swiftly dispatched by (Kyle).

calvin L
12-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Rock doctor I am very glad to see and hear everyone is fine . If you are ever in Kelowna I too have a steak for your dog

calvin L

Rock Doctor
12-23-2007, 02:14 PM
6 K;
WOW! Amazing story. Did you report it to the C.O.s? Just curious.
Glad your families are safe and the wolves are not:!:
Too bad about the first pelt. Can the skull be salvaged? They can make a conversation piece too.
Where did you hit the first one? I was surprized to read a .22 l.r. dropped her. Then again you did say they seemed small and skinny. To be sure I am not questioning your choice of weapon, I would have grabbed anything handy to defend my family too, even a shovel LOL:lol:
Seriously kudos to you, your friend and your dog. Well worth his salt/steak. Again very happy to hear all the good guys came out O.K.
Merry Christmas.

It will be reported on Monday.
I will be keeping both skulls (one for me and one for my buddy)
The first one was hit 2 times, one in the ribs, and one in the head. The second was hit numerous times, mostly in the boiler, but they are tough animals and I was definatly pushing the limits of a 22lr. Every hit caused him to spin around and bite at whatever was hurting it (this kept him in the same spot long enough to rattle so many shots into him)
While I would not normaly intend to hunt wolves with a 22, I am here to tell ya........IT WORKS in a pinch:smile:

mainland hunter;
Unreal. glad to hear your all ok. whats your dog crossed with, rotty's will protect you no matter what. thanks for the story.

I use the term "Rotty Cross", but he is so mixed up that I don't really know what to call him. I was also the owner of his mother, and she was............. are you ready for this?..........Chow, Rotty, Doberman, Black Lab, and German Sheppard:shock: (or so I was told, I got her in Quesnel). I don't know what it was that Sired Shadow, but I suspect that it was a Black Lab (cross) that lives up the road from us.

RD

MtnBoy
12-23-2007, 02:20 PM
RD, thats unreal! I was just telling my wife how rare wolf attacks on people are and we just read your story! I'm so glad you, your friends and family were OK. Simply amazing.

ElkMasterC
12-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Kudos to Rod's wife as well. Wolves coming in hard, and she gets out and grabs the kids into the truck? She's got a virtual brass set, to be sure. :shock:

I was a little surprised that the second one ate the first one. They must have been absolutely starving. Judging by how poor our moose hunt was this year we're gonna see a lot of that this winter. And if Shadow's ever in Coquitlam, Me and my dog have a big steak for you and yours. I wonder if when ya get the rug done, if Shadow's gonna want to tear it up again...LOL
Cheers
Good story.

Will
12-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Without question the Coolest Story ever Posted on a Hunting Website ! ! ! :cool:

Best part is the only casualties were the Wolves, Well done and Thanks for the Great Read ! :D

pitdog
12-24-2007, 01:54 AM
I'm glad everyone came out of what could have been A disasterous ordeal unscathed and hope that your dog heals quickly.

Scobo
12-24-2007, 09:15 AM
what a crazy story! Thank god for the dog eh.

ratherbefishin
12-24-2007, 09:29 AM
send it to Farley Mowat-didn;t he have a much touted ''reward'' for a wolf attack?I think a lot of damage was done when these enviromental wacko's started promoting the concept[generally to sell a book or get donation money for a ''cause'']that wild animals,especialy preditors were warm fuzzy friendly little chaps instead of what they are-efficient killing machines-precisely what they have to be in order to survive.They didn't survive by eating tofu

OOBuck
12-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Good to hear everyone is OK, and a great dog!!

I can't imagine how hard it would have been to track that
thing!! :-D great Mantracker skills, I loved that bit!!!

Rock Doctor
12-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Well, so far the story has made the "Vancouver Sun".........Good God, they butchered my story, but you get the idea of what happened.

Family fun turns into a wolf scare for tobogganers

Dog suffers bruises after chasing away wolves that came too close

Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun

Published: Monday, December 24, 2007
FORT NELSON I A tobogganing trip near Fort Nelson went from fun to fright for two families after they were chased by wolves.
The families were on an outing 100 kilometres east of Fort Nelson Friday when two wolves started to chase a sleighful of three children, said 36-year-old Kyle Keays, who was among the group.
The children -- one aged four, and two others, both three -- were being towed along the base of a hill by an all-terrain vehicle when the wolves appeared. var addthis_pub = 'canada.com'; function textCounter(field,cntfield,maxlimit) { if (field.value.length > maxlimit) // if too long...trim it! field.value = field.value.substring(0, maxlimit); // otherwise, update 'characters left' counter else { var divLabel = document.getElementById("divLabel"); divLabel.innerHTML = maxlimit - field.value.length + " characters remaining"; } }
Keays said his wife first noticed the wolves and shouted at him to watch out. The ATV's driver, Rod Barrie, turned around and pulled the sled back toward his truck.
"I looked back and I just saw the wolves coming out of the ditch," said Keays, who works in the area as a gas plant operator.
The wolves were within six metres of the children when the youngsters were hustled into the truck. At that moment, Keays' Rottweiler-cross, Shadow, intercepted the lead wolf and got into a scuffle.
"When Shadow saw the wolves, he immediately broke free and bee-lined down the hill to attack the lead wolf," Keays said.
As Barrie swung a shovel at the wolves, they backed off, but didn't run, said Keays, who grabbed his rifle from his nearby camp.
"They definitely weren't afraid," he said. "They backed off 50 feet and started circling side to side."
Shortly after returning to Keays' camp, the families noticed one of the wolves nearby and Keays immediately shot it.
When Keays awoke Saturday morning, the carcass was gone. He said he tracked it about 300 metres away, where it was being eaten by the other wolf, which he also shot.
"They were starving," he said. "Both of these wolves I shot were quite skinny."
Despite the potential dangers, Keays said the children were unaware of what was happening and none was injured in the confrontation. Shadow was "bumped and bruised," he said, but otherwise unharmed.
The confrontation hasn't stopped Keays from going out tobogganing again.
"We were just out," he said. "The wolves are gone."
Ministry of Environment spokeswoman Kate Thompson said Sunday conservation officers had been told about the shootings and would investigate further today. Hunters are required to report wolf kills to conservation officials, she said.

Elkhound
12-24-2007, 10:33 AM
still unreal Kyle. I can't wrap my head around the possibilities of what could have happened. Scary stuff. Merry Christmas to your family. Lots to celebrate this year.

Radar
12-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Read the article from the Vancouver Sun through a thread here, seems MOE are wrong in what they stated to the media as well, but I could be wrong on that:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17862

Allen50
12-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Well there is one thing about this story, we know you will be having a Very Marry Christmas with your Family and friends, it could have been so much worse, if the wolf had got hold of anyone, some very lucky family's,

MARRY CHRISTMAS AND A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR..

porcupine
12-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I hope that shadow is enjoying his steaks....what a good dog!
________
vapir no2 vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/no2-vaporizer/)

WCadmin
12-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi there, I hope you don't mind us linking to your story. www.wolfcrossing.org (http://www.wolfcrossing.org) we are trying to keep our folks abreast of all things wolf especially those the government won't tell you. By the way, was this a mated pair? If so then wolves must love each other a lot kind of like Hannibal Lector. Our members are being told by our Fish and Wildlife Service that we should not allow our kids to be near dogs when wolves are around. Yeah right!
Of course no one believes them and your story is certainly one reason why. The following link has a story of one of our neighboring hero dogs only a little worse for wear after defending her 3 year old's play yard.

http://wolfcrossing.org/2007/02/05/update-on-maggie-the-playground-defender/

Your post certainly dispells some common wolf misinformation being spread by managers as fact. Also noteworthy is another post on our site on that attacks in Alaska, Could it be that pepper spray does not work on wolves?

srupp
12-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey BUD..I saw you and those cute girls of yours and shadow and your wife....great familly photo..SUPER dog...scarey adventure well done Kyle

Steven Rupp

Rock Doctor
12-29-2007, 08:21 PM
lol, I wonder if anyone remembers this post I made on a previous wolf attack thread

I was always under the impression that Wolves don't attack Humans, and have told my wife not to worry about them. I've only ever heard of one other attack, do any of you guys know of other attacks?
We had a beautiful White Wolf visit our Cabin 3 nights in a row last week. Man, that thing was big. My dog was outside at the time, and he is a solid 130 lbs, he looked like a poodle next to that monster, and obviously knew better than to draw it's attention.
I only saw it once for a few seconds and never got a chance to take a shot:evil:...........oh well, maybe next time.
It's a little unnerving to have a Predator that big around camp when you have a 4yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old outside playing in the sand all day.

Lesson learned :shock:

WCadmin;
Hi there, I hope you don't mind us linking to your story. www.wolfcrossing.org (http://www.wolfcrossing.org/) we are trying to keep our folks abreast of all things wolf especially those the government won't tell you. By the way, was this a mated pair? If so then wolves must love each other a lot kind of like Hannibal Lector. Our members are being told by our Fish and Wildlife Service that we should not allow our kids to be near dogs when wolves are around. Yeah right!
Of course no one believes them and your story is certainly one reason why. The following link has a story of one of our neighboring hero dogs only a little worse for wear after defending her 3 year old's play yard.

http://wolfcrossing.org/2007/02/05/u...ound-defender/ (http://wolfcrossing.org/2007/02/05/update-on-maggie-the-playground-defender/)

Your post certainly dispells some common wolf misinformation being spread by managers as fact. Also noteworthy is another post on our site on that attacks in Alaska, Could it be that pepper spray does not work on wolves?

Link away buddy, I don't mind at all, especially since you are the only guy that bothered to ask permision :D

I suspect that it was a mated pair, but I don't know for sure.

As for pepper spray........I have seen it work on bears, but, I have also seen it NOT WORK. I have blasted a couple bears from less than 10 feet, and while they did react a bit, they did NOT leave or run far. One in particular just ran about 15 feet, then turned around and started walking back to me.
I have never tried it on wolves.

srupp;
Hey BUD..I saw you and those cute girls of yours and shadow and your wife....great familly photo..SUPER dog...scarey adventure well done Kyle

Steven Rupp

Thank you, Sir.

hunter1947
12-30-2007, 07:05 AM
HA ,LOL. Rock Doctor i guess you have different thoughts now.:smile:

CanuckShooter
12-30-2007, 09:01 AM
That dog is a HERO....they should have a statue made of him and put in the center of town for all to see !!!

mark
12-30-2007, 09:31 AM
That dog is a HERO....they should have a statue made of him and put in the center of town for all to see !!!

True! But the sad part is, that next week a rotti will bite a kid "somewhere in the world" and everyone will scream to exterminate the species!

WCadmin
12-30-2007, 10:24 AM
We Girls at wolfcrossing have all had some sour wolf experience as have several of our neighbors and some of them have involved similar experiences with kids that you have had. The only difference is you can shoot them for it and we will go to jail.

It is so heartening to see folks on this website that are supportive of you we would have whacko's slandering us calling us evil bad parents and blaming us for any damage done to our family's.

It is nice to see there are normal people in Canada. The US is going to the wolves.

WCadmin
12-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Also, Please make sure your dog has his updated rabies vaccines. I am sure you have already thought of it but we have had rabies outbreaks here and although our wolves are supposedly closely managed as an experimental population most have never been vaccinated even though it is a requirement.
So watch after that good dog of yours.

Tikka7mm
12-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Wow! That is an amazing story. I'm absolutely impressed at how your dog reacted with absolutley no hesitation...true loyalty. A true testament to the saying "mans best friend". I know that it's already been said but Shadow deserves to be treated like royalty. And Kudo's to the guy who decided to go in and defend your kids and your dog with just a shuvel handle. That's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Rock Doctor I'm glad everything turned out ok for all involved. Thanks for sharing a great story.

This is definitely the best HBC post of 07'.

mbdoc
01-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Good dog!!!

Will
01-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Was there dog DNA in these wolves?

Well certainly it might be easier for the Disney types to portray that Wolves who choose to prey on Humans are somehow Mutated by "domestic canine" DNA then to admit that these are CARNIVOROUS animals doing what they do.......Yes they survive by eating Meat. They are quite good at what they do and make no appologies for it.

Sure Wolves will specialize in a certain game animal but when opportunity knocks they will take advantage of it....or at least try.

There have been plenty of Bears, both Black, Brown and White that have killed Humans....not out of defense but for the sole purpose of Eating them.
Normal behavior ? Perhaps not but when you Eat meat to survive...anything moving is a potential meal.

Hunger is a Great Motivator...:wink:

MattB
01-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Crazy story! Glad to hear you guys are alright and you took the wolves out! I cant believe how quick the one wolf ate the other up :eek:.

Rock Doctor
01-01-2008, 12:09 PM
One of the CO's stopped by my place yesterday, and took the head of the first wolf, and the whole second wolf. "They" want to do tests on the brains and the liver. Looking for rabies and such. I was told that I would probably get the skulls back, but he could make no promises. I never heard him say anything about DNA tests.

The CO said that I did the right thing, and he would have done the same.

bsa30-06
01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
One of the CO's stopped by my place yesterday, and took the head of the first wolf, and the whole second wolf. "Thet" want to do tests on the brains and the liver. Looking for rabies and such. I was told that I would probably get the skulls back, but he could make no promises. I never heard him say anything about DNA tests.

The CO said that I did the right thing, and he would have done the same.

Hopefully they find no nasty diseases that you have to get shadow treated for.

Look74
03-08-2009, 03:39 PM
When did this take place?
And why is it not in the papers.

BlacktailStalker
03-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Look at the date of the first post, '07.
It was in the paper.

ALPINE
03-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Holy S###! I 've heard of stories of wolves going after humans but nothing recently. Thank goodness everything turned out good. Always keep a rifle with you in the bush! Thank you for the post.

kinderdoggin
03-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I was living up in Fort Nelson when this happened... heard a bit about it, glad that the old thread came up so I could read the true version.

That must have been some experience. Wow! A couple of dudes and their dog in fisticuffs with a pair of wolves.... too bad the one got eaten but I'm sure Shadow wouldn't have appreciated a mount in the house anyway! ;)

nanaimochen
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
omg what a excitement. Thanks for sharing the story.

Rock Doctor
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
When did this take place?
And why is it not in the papers.

Actually this was in just about every major Paper across Canada, as well as many papers in other country's.
Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa, ect.

We also did some interviews, like the Roy Green Radio Show and some other outdoors radio shows.

Right now, ther is a Production Company in the UK doing a series on Animal/Human Encounters. They want to re-enact the encounter for Discovery Channel.

I just punched my name into Google, and here are a few of the hits. I don't know how reliable most of these are, but they are still up. Alot of the old stories are no longer listed, but it was awile ago now.
The comments section in the Province Story has been heavily edited, the last time I looked there was about 23 pages of comments.

http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=44d94f6e-11cd-46b6-84c4-3f48d8df838b

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/story.html?id=378b3607-fbfd-44d0-a605-61bb3f7863b7&k=77249

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1947027/posts

http://www.outdoorpressroom.com/outdoorpressroom/2007/12/page/2/

http://www.outdoorpressroom.com/outdoorpressroom/2008/01/page/8/

http://totalrecoil.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/wolves-on-the-prowl/

http://atbeef.com/BreakingNews/2007BreakingNews/12-24.TobogganWolf.htm

http://thewesterner.blogspot.com/2007_12_23_thewesterner_archive.html

Bowtime
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I am speachless. Wow

tbow
02-23-2011, 07:54 PM
My bro. in law and coworker were attacked by a wolf south east of Fort Nelson during the late 80s. One guy climbed a tree the other guy fought the wolfs lunges with kicks and throwing his hard hat at it. Whilethe wolf ate the muffs he was able to start thier chansaw and get it to back off far enough to get a gun from the truck. They shot the animal and had a wildlife biologist check for disease....he said it was a healthy young male.

sparkes3
02-23-2011, 09:19 PM
a good dog is worth its weight in gold