PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear Hunting.

hunter11
12-21-2007, 11:38 PM
So who's going out in April.08 for spring bear? I was wondering how the fur was on it after hibernation? Does it shed during knockout time? Or does it just stay the same?

Will
12-21-2007, 11:52 PM
So who's going out in April.08 for spring bear? I was wondering how the fur was on it after hibernation? Does it shed during knockout time? Or does it just stay the same?
Spring hides are usually in great shape.......get em early and the claws are nice and long too...
Shoot em abit later in spring and they begin to "rub" the hides thin etc. and claws tend to wear down abit too.
But yes generally a Spring Blackie right outta the den is a Fine specimen indeed:smile:
See ya in the Spring ! ;-)

hunter11
12-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Thanks Will for the info. Are they better tasting in the spring or fall?

Barracuda
12-22-2007, 02:45 AM
like many things personal preference , but most folks will tell ya that spring bears are better eating remember they are what they eat so if they have been dineing in the nasty stuff (fish etc..) it can be reflected in how the bear tastes.
We like bear meat alot but i suppose most folks would consider us more the exception then the rule , only one way to find out:biggrin:

Will
12-22-2007, 03:21 AM
Thanks Will for the info. Are they better tasting in the spring or fall?
Spring means a leaner Bear...Fall alot more Fat and I mean ALOT !
Exactly what Barracuda said.......

I think given the choice "most" might agree a Spring Bear is better eating but I really have no evidence to support this......I've eaten plenty of Spring Bears that were great, some not so....dido for Fall Bears too.

It's more a product of the Bears lifestyle and Feeding habits that dictate the taste of the meat...not so much "when" it's Killed.
Happy Hunting:grin:

hunter1947
12-22-2007, 06:16 AM
I will be out for spring bear ,not to shoot them ,but to film them.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Steeleco
12-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Is it spring already?? I don't really have a preferance between spring and fall as far as the meet tastes, but the cutting is easier in the spring.

We too like bear over all other game. This year I'd hope to get a bruiser with the new boom stick.

Mr. Dean
12-22-2007, 10:48 AM

Just hang back and look him over REAL good. Hides can be great but as the spring rolls on, they do start to rub. Usually their rumps go 1st. Just be patient and shop around a little.

I'll be out in the middle of May.

And yes; Bear makes excellent eats!

Good luck.

moosinaround
12-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Some Good smokies and pepperonies!! It is a good way to get out into the second most excellent time of the year, The first being the fall of course! Moosin

bsa30-06
12-22-2007, 11:01 AM
I'll be out lookin for mr.bear , probably wait till may let things green up a bit.As said above look them over good make sure there arent any little ones taggin along.Look for areas with lots of green stuff for them to eat.Good luck.

BearSniper
12-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Yep, I'll be out for sure.:wink:

Any Bear season is a good season:razz:

wlbc
12-22-2007, 11:06 AM

I shot a nice bear this spring, the hide still had a fine dust on it which I presume was from his den. The fur is actually quite soft and thick, quite different from some bear hides I've seen. I would definitely recommend taking a spring bear, just get out early enough to avoid the rub.

He was pretty lean and darn tasty, in fact there is some breakfast sausage cooking up right now...8)

bearheart
12-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Best bear meat I've had was a fall bear that had been diningon blueberries in the Interior, abit like pork but better. Not much luck with the taste of Island spring bears, I like to shoot bigguns, am told the younger bears taste better.

Wild one
12-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I will be out every day I can till taged out or season ends

hunter11
12-22-2007, 07:30 PM
I know I saw 2 bears this fall but couldn't get a clear shot. I will definetly be out there with you bear eaters in spring. Higher elevations or at lower elevations during the sring? Just wondering. I know these beasts are all over bc. Thanks once again. Cheers.

Shade Tree
12-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Only four more months...

K.A
12-22-2007, 11:21 PM
I usually take one in the spring and one in early fall, September, I find it harder to find a good one then (fall that is) so I make sure I get a big one in spring. I personally cannot tell any difference in the meat but it all goes to pepperoni for me.

puppychow
12-22-2007, 11:58 PM
I have harvested a few bears in the spring on Vancouver Island. The pelts are in great shape in May and first week of June. There does not appear to be much of a rub on any of the bears that I have harvested. Don't know much about mainland bears as I have only harvested 1 this fall.

Scobo
12-24-2007, 09:36 AM
typically, the earlier you get them the thicker the fur as already mentioned by others here. i have shot bears early june with perfect hides. but, it depends where and how high you are. fall bears are way too greasy for me but if you ever want to shoot a 500+lb bear to brag about it the fall is when to do it.

CoqTrophys
12-24-2007, 12:39 PM
How much are hides now. I think they were $100 a foot at one time, are they still the same?

Scobo
12-24-2007, 01:42 PM
if you mean how much to get a hide done with an insert as a rug i think 150/ft is as cheap as you'll get these days.

oldtimer
12-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Will be out with a stick and string looking for Mr. Bear. Usually around May long weekend can be productive. Mike

Kirby
12-24-2007, 02:20 PM
I'll probably poke around for one or two, gonna try to take a really big one this year. Also gonna try to get a couple of newbies into it this year again. Nothing like bowhunting bears.

Kirby