PDA

View Full Version : Hearing protection while hunting

Greg
05-21-2024, 10:36 PM
Currently I use hearing protection while hunting, either the over ear muffs or the in ear silicone type. I have missed opportunities on animals because of the time it takes to get ear protection in and was thinking about switching to an electronic set. I briefly tried the sordin pro x headset and was surprised how much it amplified sounds like the kids playing in the next block over. I do a lot of calling and still hunting and was wondering what units other hunters use? I would like to have stereo sound so I can tell which direction the sound is coming from.

elker
05-22-2024, 05:20 AM
I used one for a very short period of time and threw it away. It destroys the natural feeling of hunting in the nature.

.330 Dakota
05-22-2024, 06:45 AM
fast way to get ass whooped by an unseen cow moose or bear..Ive been hunting for over 45 years and never used it, my hearing is still perfect. A loud sound once in a while will not damage your hearing. Continual noises like at the range every Saturday will. Wear your hearing protection where its needed, at the range.

MRP
05-22-2024, 07:10 AM
All target shooting yes.
Hunting road chickens yes, or maybe if I was In a tree stand.

TheObserver
05-22-2024, 08:34 AM
fast way to get ass whooped by an unseen cow moose or bear..Ive been hunting for over 45 years and never used it, my hearing is still perfect. A loud sound once in a while will not damage your hearing. Continual noises like at the range every Saturday will. Wear your hearing protection where its needed, at the range.

^^^^ this. I've seen em put in while stalking preds, personally I would never even think about having or putting them in ever while hunting. Dont even pack em.

Myself while rifle hunting kind of like the brief tinnitis after a shot on an animal, just kind of became part of the whole thing and success

carnivore
05-22-2024, 08:35 AM
If Canada had sensible gun laws like many European countries and even the USA has regarding suppressors the problem would be solved. It should be considered a health and safety issue. If we can turf Turdo and his ilk in 2025, we may have a chance for some sensible changes to our existing gun laws. My dream list would be, making the transfer of handguns legal again, allowing the possession and use of most semi-auto rifles and carbines with mag restrictions, allow suppressors for hunting and target shooting sports, allow the carrying of sidearms in wilderness areas for protection against predators etc.

Gr8 white hunter
05-22-2024, 09:04 AM
If you have to wear hearing protection while hunting please stay home. That is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.

M1SF1T
05-22-2024, 09:23 AM
Yeah, protecting your hearing is dumb...

That tinnitus you hear after a shot is a little more permanent hearing loss.

I carry ear plugs and pop them in before a shot. Small, light and easy to keep on hand. I work in an environment exposed to constant loud sound and I use protection there and still have some hearing loss, I don't need to add to it.

I'm with carnivore though, if we had sensible gun laws we would be shooting suppressed and it would be a moot issue.

MichelD
05-22-2024, 09:44 AM

I carry ear plugs and pop them in before a shot. Small, light and easy to keep on hand. I work in an environment exposed to constant loud sound and I use protection there and still have some hearing loss, I don't need to add to it.

I'm with carnivore though, if we had sensible gun laws we would be shooting suppressed and it would be a moot issue.

THIS!

I have permanent tinnitus and hearing loss in my left ear from shooting without ear protection since I was about 10 before I smatened up later in life. I applied for hearing aid subsisides from Worksafe BC and was toald because my hearing loss is only in my left ear it is because of non-work-related sound.

Tinnitus and hearing loss from shooting is real. If you don't believe that you're an idiot.

I carry foam plugs in every pocket and slip them in my ears the moment I spot an anaimal.

Bubbacanuck
05-22-2024, 10:01 AM
I have the orange kind that are attached around my neck, if I have time before a shot I'll slip them in. If not, shoot.

https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Style-Hearing-Protector-Earplugs/dp/B000LNKDEE?th=1

TheObserver
05-22-2024, 10:02 AM

Your right it is, and I love it and will still do it, a ring to success lol.

Protecting your hearing is not dumb, I too work with loud tools all day long. What is dumb is walking around out there or stalking an animal without your ears working at maximum capacity. I can see putting them in quick if you have time too and your going to take shot from where your at thats smart, a lot of shots on animals don't work that way though.

ekul246
05-22-2024, 10:40 AM
I use the Walker’s Razor electronic ear muffs. I only wear them before a shot.
When I killed my first bear, my ears rang for days and weeks after and then sounded like a blown speaker for months after that. It took a number of years before I could go to the movie theatre or have any other remotely loud sound near me without causing me pain.
I also work in loud work environments and take great care of my hearing. Electronic earmuffs have been a game changer for shooting game. On Thursday on the island I took a bear and as soon as I saw him on the road, I popped the muffs on and then turned them on. I can hear everything perfectly. Got the shot done and bear was dead, Took them off and put them back in the truck.
I will say the only missed opportunities are the normal ones where an animal is already headed out of town before you can get a shot, muffs or no. I personally am willing to let an animal go then to shoot without earmuffs ever again.
I think if you don’t wanna wear hearing protection when taking the shots, you are free to do that. But I will not do that.
I never wear my earmuffs while walking around or stalking or anything else. They go on my ears before I shoot and they come off When the shooting is done.

marcus44
05-22-2024, 11:03 AM
I use electronic noise cancelling earmuffs at the range regularly, but after suffering a major concussion and head injury, and the lasting effects of tinnitus this spring I am looking at getting some noise cancelling ear buds. Walker's Silencer In the Ear look to be a good choice that I am considering. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Gr8 white hunter
05-22-2024, 11:33 AM
No, actually after thinking about it yes definitely wear ear protection especially in Grizz country. Absolutely agree 100% definitely wear ear protection. 🤡

elker
05-22-2024, 12:35 PM
Another way to protect your ears is to not use short barrel, magnum, muzzle brake, etc. At the height of the excitment, it is unlikely you would think of pulling your earplugs out of your pocket. You only want to follow the game and shoot it.

CAC
05-22-2024, 02:34 PM
Developed tinnitus a couple of years ago(48yo). The audiologist knew from my specific hearing loss it was related to shooting, not already knowing I was a shooter. I always wore hearing protection except for the couple shots a year at big game. That was enough. So my advice, find a system that works for you and protect your ears. Constant ringing is not fun. I use electronic hearing protection or the bands that hang on your neck now.

J_T
05-22-2024, 02:42 PM
THIS!

I have permanent tinnitus and hearing loss in my left ear from shooting without ear protection since I was about 10 before I smatened up later in life. I applied for hearing aid subsisides from Worksafe BC and was toald because my hearing loss is only in my left ear it is because of non-work-related sound.

Tinnitus and hearing loss from shooting is real. If you don't believe that you're an idiot.

I carry foam plugs in every pocket and slip them in my ears the moment I spot an anaimal.

Yeah, I've been bowhunting for 30 plus years and my hearing is failing. I probably need to tune my longbow and quiet it down.
As others have said, at the range, with rifle, ear protection makes sense. In the field I wouldn't think about packing protection. Hearing is critical to success.

Your hearing will find so many ways to wane over your life. Don't waste the effort with hearing protection while your hunting. Limit the volume on the music in your ears....

elimsprint
05-22-2024, 03:01 PM
No, actually after thinking about it yes definitely wear ear protection especially in Grizz country. Absolutely agree 100% definitely wear ear protection. 嵐

You do realize that a lot of the electronic noise suppressor systems can also amplify ambient sounds so you actually hear way better with than without them? I can hear very clearly anything going on around me with my Walker Quad Muffs on, stuff I would never hear otherwise, like the breathing of a animal coming down the trail from 100 yds away. With the quads you can also tell direction quite well without turning your head like you have to do with the stereo ones.

bottles
05-22-2024, 04:14 PM
My buddy hunts with electronic ear pro. It does amplify sound and cuts at a certain decibel level. Muffs are too hot on my head if I'm walking all day. Haven't tried the ones that go in your ears. He shoots a 300 mag with a brake so makes sense for him. Don't feel like I need it for my 308 if I'm only taking 1 shot.

ACB
05-22-2024, 04:54 PM
Personally I have never worn hearing protection while hunting, but I can really see the benefits while hunting waterfowl in a blind with others but big game hunting no thanks. I can remember only one time were the report from my not muzzle braked 300. win mag bothered me, when giving the coup de grace to a deer, the shot had to be taken in close quarters and the report was noticeably loud. That said it might be a good idea while hunting with someone else while they're taking shot to put in some plugs that are attached to a string around your neck, better than fingers. I have a set of Walker Razors that I use while shooting trap. When at the range I like to use muffs with plugs as well, I haven't tried the Razors there but will try them next time there. But while hunting, no, while out and about I want to hear everything, like a squirrel giving something other than me the business or a moose grunt or a cow moose calling or far off elk bugle or a cow elk mew.

Gateholio
05-22-2024, 05:47 PM
I use electronic noise cancelling earmuffs at the range regularly, but after suffering a major concussion and head injury, and the lasting effects of tinnitus this spring I am looking at getting some noise cancelling ear buds. Walker's Silencer In the Ear look to be a good choice that I am considering. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Just got some I will give first impressions after this weekend of shooting!

Kootenay338
05-22-2024, 07:50 PM
Myself and two other guys i work with just got Axil Xcore electronic ear buds. They seem to be very decent for the price point. They are 29DB noise reduction and have 3 levels of sound enhancement, and seem to do decent in light wind. All three of us are tradesmen and have been in the trades for decades and are noticing hearing loss. I now suffer from tinnitus and like the idea of being protected while hunting without sacrificing the safety of hearing your surroundings. There are some really good options that are way more expensive, they are covered under most health benifits under hearing aids

Redthies
05-22-2024, 10:24 PM
Waterfowl hunting or at the range, I wear ear plugs, as I do every day in my work environment. Big game hunting? Nope. One shot is not going to deafen me. I also don’t shoot a canon so it’s not as big a deal.

Drillbit
05-23-2024, 12:09 AM
I tried the Axil ones in my shop.
Figured It would be easier to talk to people and then have the noise canceling benefit
Seemed like a great idea

It was good for a few minutes, till The Chop saw fired up….

back to 3m foam ones and reading lips in the shop

Target shooting I always wear foam ones, hunting there is never time to put them in.

Astepanuk
05-23-2024, 06:43 AM
Shooting waterfowl I typically use Walker Razor ear muffs, when big game hunting I have started wearing ear plugs on a string throw them over my shoulders and put them in before I shoot.

Redthies
05-23-2024, 07:00 AM
The only sounds that seem to be effected by my rare single shots while big game hunting are on the exact same frequency as my wife’s voice. What a strange phenomenon!?

marcus44
05-23-2024, 10:02 AM
Just got some I will give first impressions after this weekend of shooting!

Thanks Gate, I did end up ordering some myself. Still have to wait a bit until I can shoot again but look forward to hearing your initial thoughts on them.

superdrupal
05-23-2024, 02:59 PM
I use the Sellstrom S23430 Banded Earplug that you can get inexpensively from Amazon. I'm fairly young but have some hearing loss in one ear. I thought a bang here or there wouldn't "hurt" but if you ask a professional, that's all it takes to do damage.

With the banded ear plugs you can put them in your ears easily and quickly and don't have to worry amount dropping or losing them like single plugs. The one or two seconds to put them in hasn't cost me a harvest to date.

Sharpish
05-23-2024, 04:32 PM
I’m right handed and it’s always the left ear that takes the hit from a shot. Sometimes I will hunt with a foam plug halfway into the left ear. It’s enough to prevent the momentary deafness/ringing. To be fair the only time I really got a good hit to the left ear was shooting a deer with a short barrelled shotgun. A rifle I have never even noticed it when shooting at an animal.

ElectricDyck
05-23-2024, 06:25 PM
Even unbraked rifles make my ears ring for hours after the shot, braked guns cause tinnitis and noise sensitivity for weeks. I use the orange band ones around my kneck and pop them on before the shot, if its too slow and the animal gets away, it wasnt meant to be. I tried the electronic and it sounded like I was listening to a recording of birds and creeks...that being said they weren't high end.

caddisguy
05-23-2024, 06:38 PM
I started using plugs (used to use them off and on before that) for grouse when I switched from 28" barrel to 14" barrel (12 ga)

Big game I haven't used plugs but should try to make an effort. There have been a couple of occasions I would have had plenty of time, but those occasions are the exception and not the norm.

Pretty sure 1 or to 2 shots a year with the 30-06 my ears will still out last the rest of me.

Redthies
05-23-2024, 06:50 PM
12 gauge with a 14” barrel for grouse? Must look like a tenderized steak when you pick it up!:)

Woodchuck Dan
05-24-2024, 08:37 AM
So there is quite an interesting peer-reviewed study they did on Swedish Hunters that is worth checking out if you the capacity to dig through scientific articles: Here (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4900506/)

Keeping all caveats in mind, we still dare to state that our results are consistent with the following tentative conclusions:

1. There is a wide variation in individual susceptibility to high-energy impulse noise;
2. ...
3. Susceptible individuals may sustain long-lasting or possibly irreversible damage to the inner ear from just 1 or a few shots (and then stop using these weapons without protection);
4. ...

It seems that there are variations between the structures of people's inner ears, where some hunters can get away with firing a shot or two a season unprotected others will be severely damaged from the same experience.

Often folks I talk to who have severe damage from hunting tell stories about double tapping wounded animals at point blank range and staggering themselves in the process.

Personally I just hunt with a pair of ear-muffs on my head that do not cover my ears. I slip them on before taking a shot. I would hate to lose all the subtle noises of the forest or my life in general. Also tinnitus seems like it robs you of all the quiet moments of your existence.

caddisguy
05-25-2024, 03:12 PM
12 gauge with a 14” barrel for grouse? Must look like a tenderized steak when you pick it up!:)

Not at all. I use 1 1/8oz #5 loads, IC choke. In the rare occasion a pellet his the breast, it usually passes right through.

https://i.imgur.com/vPuxGRQ.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/ql4bu9z.jpeg
https://imgur.com/882cc8d3-c429-418c-a6b2-8e39cae0b71f

aamenta
05-26-2024, 11:48 AM
Band style earplugs, wear them around your neck. If you have the opportunity to put them on, do it. If you don't, shoot anyway!
Also, if you're using a muzzle break, use a cap instead. That will help with the no ear pro shots.

mod7rem
05-26-2024, 08:23 PM
The last time I had my hearing tested at work, I was told I have the hearing of a 17 yr old in my right ear and the hearing of an 80 yr old in the left.
I remember the shot that did it too. I was standing over an antelope in Wyoming and finished it off with a shot. It was lying in a slight depression and the ground was hard packed. The shock from the shot almost knocked me down and my left ear hasn’t stopped ringing since then. The next hearing test after that day showed my left ear dropped off a cliff and has stayed that way for 10 years.