PDA

View Full Version : Get me started on predators -

BCrams
12-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Never hunted predators -

I cannot afford one of those electronic fox pro's so lets hear your recommendations for hand calls for coyotes, wolves and lynx.

I just might give it a try this winter.

lapadat
12-19-2007, 07:30 AM
The wildlife control CO in the fraser valley primarily uses OLT calls and kills LOTS of dogs.....I personally prefer Sceery calls (jackrabbit, cotton tail, mouse squeeker) for coyotes....can't comment on wolves or kitties......

The key is to get into an area undetected and to remain completely motionless after your calling sequence.

Barracuda
12-19-2007, 10:25 AM
there are good calls from several companies and finding one that works for you just takes a bit of trial and error. I have several different ones and each one has thier place and non of them are bad it is just that i have developed preferences to certain ones. The cirqi 3-in 1 it a good standby for me but there is plenty to choose from.

varmint als is a good site you might want to look it over.
http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#My_Calls

MattB
12-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Does calling work good for cats? I know an area loaded with bobcats/lynx and i think it would be pretty easy to get them to come in. I had my basset hound tree bobcats in this spot before so it cant be too hard. Lots of snowshow hair in there so i think thats why the cat numbers are high...

Marc
12-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey BCrams, check out our sister site www.predatorhuntcanada.ca (http://www.predatorhuntcanada.ca) for predator hunting info. There are some serious hunters in there killing lots of dogs. One guy has racked up 79 coyotes already this fall with pictures of every one of them. Some use electronic calls and lots just use mouth calls.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Rams-Just slap on your snowshoes, find some fresh tracks and run them into the ground Biathelete style!!:cool: Should be in pretty good shape come sheep season:D!! Of course you'll have to find a new sheep hunting partner that can keep up to you;-)!

SSS

Krico
12-20-2007, 12:36 PM
[quote=BCrams;220210]

I cannot afford quote]

I NEVER expected to read that statement coming from you:p.

Did you spend all your allowance on sheep gear?

BCrams
12-20-2007, 12:50 PM
[quote=BCrams;220210]

I cannot afford quote]

I NEVER expected to read that statement coming from you:p.

Did you spend all your allowance on sheep gear?

You got it. When I do manage to save money for hunting, most of it invariably goes to sheep hunting gear / food / plane cost etc. Its not an area I want to skimp out on.

BCrams
12-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Rams-Just slap on your snowshoes, find some fresh tracks and run them into the ground Biathelete style!!:cool: Should be in pretty good shape come sheep season:D!! Of course you'll have to find a new sheep hunting partner that can keep up to you;-)!

SSS

I just might have to try running them into the ground! More sporting.

Will
12-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Does calling work good for cats? I know an area loaded with bobcats/lynx and i think it would be pretty easy to get them to come in. I had my basset hound tree bobcats in this spot before so it cant be too hard. Lots of snowshow hair in there so i think thats why the cat numbers are high...
Yes calling is/can be effective for Cats too.....although the general consensus is they come in slower and much stealthier then yotes would for instance.
I'm trying my hand at calling in Cats specifically this winter......should make for a few cold, lonely days and frozen arses...but it's all good;-)

todbartell
12-21-2007, 09:13 PM
should make for a few cold, lonely days and frozen arses...but it's all good

so what you're saying is it'll be just like 99% of your coyote hunts :mrgreen:

Will
12-21-2007, 11:16 PM
so what you're saying is it'll be just like 99% of your coyote hunts
99.9% to be more specific............:redface:
:lol::lol::lol: