PDA

View Full Version : 2024 leh

Corvus
05-16-2024, 02:32 PM
Seems like the 2024 LEH submissions are now open.

Good Luck!

Corvus
05-16-2024, 02:34 PM
FYI submissions close at 11:59:59 pm on June 13th.

IronNoggin
05-16-2024, 02:46 PM
Seems like the 2024 LEH submissions are now open.

Good Luck!

Well Holy $hit!

BCWF's own Hunting Diva was only off by a couple of days!!

Wonders never cease!

Best of luck to all in our annual tossing money at nothing pursuit...

Cheers,
Nog

RackStar
05-16-2024, 04:11 PM
BC needs a point system

Arctic Lake
05-16-2024, 04:49 PM
Hers hoping for all of us ,good luck !
Arctic Lake

Bullreaper
05-16-2024, 07:02 PM
BC needs a point system

No. Terrible idea

Everett
05-16-2024, 07:08 PM
Well they screwed over Caribou hunters yet again. I wonder if the outfitters had there tags reduced or is it just residents once again getting screwed over.

JoeSixPack
05-17-2024, 07:32 AM
Well they screwed over Caribou hunters yet again. I wonder if the outfitters had there tags reduced or is it just residents once again getting screwed over.

From what I gleaned from the proposal's, there will be no changes or restrictions made to guide outfitters quota for moose and caribou in the north skeena. This is an absolutely horrible example of resident hunters getting screwed over for absolutely no reason whatsoever, no science, just the locals FN wanting residents out of there area.

Annual harvests of caribou (primarily 5pt bull only, except a handful of LEH areas for any bull) by residents has been under 110 animals annually for over a decade. The least harvested big game animal in BC. Good thing its LEH only now... and with the results likely coming out in July, if you do draw, you now have a couple weeks to try and line up a flight, let alone all the other aspects of your hunt, if you want to go in august. Just terrible

CheesyLimper
05-17-2024, 07:35 AM

Had big plans to take the family on a fly in up north mid august. Now with it being LEH, we will likely not find out if we even win a draw until July - not a realistic option now. I knew this was likely coming, but still angry

TheObserver
05-17-2024, 08:35 AM
Had big plans to take the family on a fly in up north mid august. Now with it being LEH, we will likely not find out if we even win a draw until July - not a realistic option now. I knew this was likely coming, but still angry

Brutal! I'd imagine your not the only one really sucks

Trekker
05-17-2024, 01:28 PM
From what I gleaned from the proposal's, there will be no changes or restrictions made to guide outfitters quota for moose and caribou in the north skeena. This is an absolutely horrible example of resident hunters getting screwed over for absolutely no reason whatsoever, no science, just the locals FN wanting residents out of there area.

Annual harvests of caribou (primarily 5pt bull only, except a handful of LEH areas for any bull) by residents has been under 110 animals annually for over a decade. The least harvested big game animal in BC. Good thing its LEH only now... and with the results likely coming out in July, if you do draw, you now have a couple weeks to try and line up a flight, let alone all the other aspects of your hunt, if you want to go in august. Just terrible

Where in the proposal did it say there will be no changes or restrictions made to outfitters quota?

cassiarkid
05-17-2024, 09:50 PM
Looks like Region 6 now has some LEH Moose along the 37 and Telegraph Cr Rd.

ElectricDyck
05-18-2024, 04:56 AM

From what i heard the outfitter got screwed too, moose clients booked and now not enough tags....government don't care.

Redthies
05-18-2024, 06:22 AM
Seems like way less mule deer options too.

I also don’t see the region 9 woodchuck draw anymore?

last light
05-18-2024, 10:29 AM
Looks like the region 5 anterless whitetail draw is gone as well.

bighornbob
05-18-2024, 11:09 AM
Looks like the region 5 anterless whitetail draw is gone as well. Maybe a regular open season on does like the rest of the south??

last light
05-18-2024, 11:33 AM
Maybe a regular open season on does like the rest of the south??

Possibly, I was wondering the exact same thing. We shall see when the new synopsis comes out

specbelly
05-18-2024, 03:17 PM
2024 regs are out. Was 2023/2024 regs. Unless they are changing them which wouldn’t surprise me. I hope everyone here votes conservative in Oct and get the NDP and Eby out of government

j270wsm
05-18-2024, 04:09 PM
Hunting regulations expire June 30, 2024.

mod7rem
05-18-2024, 06:33 PM
Looks like the region 5 anterless whitetail draw is gone as well.

Here’s a link to the accepted and rejected LEH changes. Reg 5 shows increased opportunity for WT rather than LEH. No specific details though.
https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/2024_LEH_Changes.pdf

last light
05-18-2024, 08:09 PM
Here’s a link to the accepted and rejected LEH changes. Reg 5 shows increased opportunity for WT rather than LEH. No specific details though.
https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/2024_LEH_Changes.pdf

Thanks for the link mod7rem!

jlirot
06-04-2024, 01:58 PM
Ok. I donated my 6 bucks to the cause.

last light
06-04-2024, 05:20 PM
Ok. I donated my 6 bucks to the cause.

Why only one draw? I'll throw $50 in the barrel at a possible chance of getting something good!

Wagonmaster
06-04-2024, 05:35 PM
So what does the color orange mean in many of the listings. Looked all over, but can't find any explanation.

Bullreaper
06-04-2024, 05:44 PM
So what does the color orange mean in many of the listings. Looked all over, but can't find any explanation.

New draw this year.

northof49
06-04-2024, 06:06 PM
Fallow deer on Sidney Island is opened up again….Non-residents only tho and must have valid sniper card :roll:
Each entry $12M + and counting :lol:
Rules of fair chase apply of course……includes Gov supplied choppers, assault style rifles, tracking dogs, etc.

last light
06-04-2024, 06:22 PM
Fallow deer on Sidney Island is opened up again….Non-residents only tho and must have valid sniper card :roll:
Each entry $12M + and counting :lol:
Rules of fair chase apply of course……includes Gov supplied choppers, assault style rifles, tracking dogs, etc.

I heard that you could also make a mistake and accidentally kill black tailed deer with NO consequences. SMH

jlirot
06-04-2024, 08:28 PM
Why only one draw? I'll throw $50 in the barrel at a possible chance of getting something good!

I only put in for my immediate area. As I explained to my son earlier today, if I was willing to travel more and explore new areas, I would probably get a draw. But, I don't really have time to take 2 weeks to go out and explore new areas right now. Maybe in a year or two. Now it's kids kids kids.

last light
06-04-2024, 09:17 PM
^^^That’s understandable. Hopefully you can pull the draw that you’re after and enjoy some time with your kids!

scalerman
06-08-2024, 05:09 AM
No. Terrible idea
I am curious to know why you would say that a points system is a "terrible idea"?

MOOSE MILK
06-08-2024, 08:57 AM
Ya why is the point system a TERRIBLE IDEA???
I have hunted Alberta with their point system and think it is far more fair than our current system in BC.
MM

Bullreaper
06-08-2024, 09:30 AM
Are you familiar with point creep? Sure a points system works ok for the first couple years. For the people who are there at the start, but after a few years, you have a better chance winning a lottery draw than you do staying alive long enough to get enough points for another good hunt. BC’s system isn’t great, it could definitely use a few tweaks, but points are not the answer, especially if you care about future hunters.

Retiredguy
06-08-2024, 10:52 AM
I completely disagree. A point system like Alberta's is the way to go. I have hunted under it, both as a resident and a non-resident/with a resident for over 30 years. It works well and I never had a problem drawing and it was predictable for the most part. Only when you get into putting in for world famous big horn ram areas and the best units for big pronghorn does it flounder a bit due to the ridiculous number of applicants.

I have also hunted in the US in a half dozen states with draws...now there you do see some problems as they have *******ized the process with adding in buying bonus points, etc, etc. But for BC I would be more than happy to have a system like Alberta.

J_T
06-10-2024, 07:05 AM
Most of you should recall that BC has/had embarked on a one year LEH draw system review. The committee has agreed for the most part on changes that will be considered, analyzed and applied.

BimmerBob
06-10-2024, 07:44 AM
My sincere belief is that the LEH is simply a distraction to keep hunters busy while they systemically remove freedom to hunt in one are after another until eventually a "hunting license" will mean absolutely nothing to the holder except to enable the purchase of "lottery" hunting tickets.

I will never ever buy into the LEH system and feel ALL people interested in hunting should boycott the process and insist that there be NO HUNTING in any area until there are enough healthy animals existing to allow a General Open season for them.

NO GOS then NO HUNTING by anyone, no special or lottery access to the resources of ALL.

Force the bureaucracy to do the job to actually manage the wildlife and access to it instead of ignoring the base reasons for the wildlife declines while extracting more and more money from the people that are truly interested in wildlife survival and access.

Just my opinion, hope this finds you well.../B

J_T
06-10-2024, 07:53 AM

I will never ever buy into the LEH system and feel ALL people interested in hunting should boycott the process and insist that there be NO HUNTING in any area until there are enough healthy animals existing to allow a General Open season for them.

Force the bureaucracy to do the job to actually manage the wildlife and access to it instead of ignoring the base reasons for the wildlife declines while extracting more and more money from the people that are truly interested in wildlife survival and access.

Just my opinion, hope this finds you well.../B

These two statements reflect my own position as well. LEH frankly, is a hunter management tool, and seldom is it a wildlife management tool (though it does have its purpose as a wildlife management too.

It's difficult to have resident hunters who don't live in an area that has plenty of GOS hunting to reduce the LEH submissions.

FYI, 35% of hunters submitting LEH applications come from R1 and R2. 45% of LEH applications are submitted by R1, R2 hunters. Typically these hunters submit for multiple LEH authorizations and plan their hunting year around the success or failure of the draw. While the remaining rural resident hunters typically put in for a single LEH, somewhere near their resident area and operate on the basis of GOS opportunities.

We'll never change the two diverse groups of residents. Those who live for the Xmas of LEH, will continue to support it and Government will continue to expand on it. Because their 'user group' indicates they like it.

scttcanuck
06-10-2024, 09:43 AM
I've been a BC Resident hunter for the last 20 years. 7 years ago, I started applying elsewhere - Alberta, Montana, Wyoming, and Nevada. I've had good success in these places as well - I've drawn 2 elk, 3 mule deer, and 2 antelope, and I have a 100% assurance that I will draw an elk and mule deer next year.

After applying in those other jurisdictions, I have realized that BC's draw system is by far the worst, even when comparing a resident LEH draw to a non-resident draw in other jurisdictions.

BC can't even implement kindergarten-level improvements to our LEH. How can anyone expect them to implement Grade 3 level draw changes?

Here are a couple of tiny tweaks that BC could try before even talking about draw changes:

1) If you draw an LEH, you are automatically charged for the tag. There are thousands of successful LEH draws in BC where the hunters don't even buy a tag after drawing. It is optional, after all. It costs less than a beer in most bars. There are countless instances when someone draws a moose and a goat and doesn't even buy the goat tag because they drew the moose. Automatically charging for all successful LEHs will make some think twice and will improve the draw odds of the hunts. This would be most apparent for goats, most likely cutting the draw odds in half.

2) I can't recall in the last 20 years the price for tags or the LEH draws going up. I know that only a fraction of the LEH and tag fees go to the HCTF and the rest to the government, but with the rampant inflation we've seen in the last 10 years, the real revenue for wildlife MGMT has gone down dramatically.

We will never get there, but the best solution, in my opinion, is a stripped-down version of Wyoming's hybrid draw system for BC. This consists of a percentage of tags being full random (like they are now), while another percentage is points-based. Ignore the regular & special draw stuff they have. If you draw, regardless if its the random or points portion, your points go back to 0. This way, you would have the opportunity for new hunters while also allowing people to make longer-term hunting plans and reduce the free-for-all, apply for everything and get nothing system we have now.

I don't expect BC to implement any of the above. The only thing that will change in BC is that more species and areas will move from GOS to LEH.

I think it speaks to the lack of regard for hunters and hunting in BC when compared to other Western jurisdictions in North America.

Darksith
06-10-2024, 01:09 PM
No. Terrible idea

I agree 100%...say no to points

Here are a couple of tiny tweaks that BC could try before even talking about draw changes:

1) If you draw an LEH, you are automatically charged for the tag. There are thousands of successful LEH draws in BC where the hunters don't even buy a tag after drawing. It is optional, after all. It costs less than a beer in most bars. There are countless instances when someone draws a moose and a goat and doesn't even buy the goat tag because they drew the moose. Automatically charging for all successful LEHs will make some think twice and will improve the draw odds of the hunts. This would be most apparent for goats, most likely cutting the draw odds in half.
Yup great idea. You must pay for your license and tag when you apply, if you don't win you can opt for a refund. Easy to do with Wild BC system

2) I can't recall in the last 20 years the price for tags or the LEH draws going up. I know that only a fraction of the LEH and tag fees go to the HCTF and the rest to the government, but with the rampant inflation we've seen in the last 10 years, the real revenue for wildlife MGMT has gone down dramatically.
I also agree LEH should go up...BUT with 1 caveat...all of that extra money needs to go towards wildlife conservation and habitat not general revenue with a 20% kickback

We will never get there, but the best solution, in my opinion, is a stripped-down version of Wyoming's hybrid draw system for BC. This consists of a percentage of tags being full random (like they are now), while another percentage is points-based. Ignore the regular & special draw stuff they have. If you draw, regardless if its the random or points portion, your points go back to 0. This way, you would have the opportunity for new hunters while also allowing people to make longer-term hunting plans and reduce the free-for-all, apply for everything and get nothing system we have now.

I don't expect BC to implement any of the above. The only thing that will change in BC is that more species and areas will move from GOS to LEH.

I think it speaks to the lack of regard for hunters and hunting in BC when compared to other Western jurisdictions in North America.
The big problem is A we don't spend money on our wildlife so we don't have accurate population counts which means they take a worst case scenario at best for allocation which means there are less tags and thus higher odds. The caribou are a prime example in region 6 and 7. Not enough were being harvested to warrant being put on LEH, it was just a "this is simpler for us to manage" decision so they didn't feel the need to do things like population counts.
We have way too many high odd hunts to go to a points system. Right now we have pretty liberal season lengths, would you really want to win a draw where you have 7 days to hunt? Would that be good for wildlife? Lots of the states have 7 or 10 day openings. That basically means that you have 3 LEH draws in the month, I suspect you will have more pressure, more hunters in the MU when you do it like that rather than spaced out bc of a longer time frame. More tags shorter hunts doesn't mean its good for hunters success rate or pressure on animals. We have MU's bigger than states...its not an easy comparison to make when you really break it down. Maybe we need a short province wide GOS for some species to spread the hunters out rather than concentrating them into certain regions...they do this then they say theres too much pressure and shut it down and put it on LEH

Bubbacanuck
06-10-2024, 01:59 PM
I've been a BC Resident hunter for the last 20 years. 7 years ago, I started applying elsewhere - Alberta, Montana, Wyoming, and Nevada. I've had good success in these places as well - I've drawn 2 elk, 3 mule deer, and 2 antelope, and I have a 100% assurance that I will draw an elk and mule deer next year.

After applying in those other jurisdictions, I have realized that BC's draw system is by far the worst, even when comparing a resident LEH draw to a non-resident draw in other jurisdictions.

BC can't even implement kindergarten-level improvements to our LEH. How can anyone expect them to implement Grade 3 level draw changes?

^^^ 100% Agree

KC2
06-10-2024, 08:37 PM

So I have been an Alberta resident hunter for about 30 years.
Before that I was a BC resident hunter.
I loved the random draw system. I remember the excitement when the draw results came in the mail, this was before internet.
You never knew what you would draw that year.
You were like a little kid waiting for Santa Claus
Now in Alberta we have a point system, nice but boring. I have 8 priority points for a certain moose draw, I need 10,so 2 more years. Boring.
Give me the BC system any day. Love being unpredictable.

Redthies
06-10-2024, 09:19 PM
So I have been an Alberta resident hunter for about 30 years.
Before that I was a BC resident hunter.
I loved the random draw system. I remember the excitement when the draw results came in the mail, this was before internet.
You never knew what you would draw that year.
You were like a little kid waiting for Santa Claus
Now in Alberta we have a point system, nice but boring. I have 8 priority points for a certain moose draw, I need 10,so 2 more years. Boring.
Give me the BC system any day. Love being unpredictable.

And I put in for 32x before being drawn for anything. I’ll take predictable.

Neither system is perfect, but there are merits to points.

Darksith
06-10-2024, 10:38 PM

Well a 30:1 moose hunt which is prett common will leave you waiting another 30 years. I don't know how anyone doesn't get drawn every 5 or 6 years if you really are committed to getting a draw. Most I assume want to hunt their back yard and refuse to travel

Redthies
06-11-2024, 05:57 AM
Well a 30:1 moose hunt which is prett common will leave you waiting another 30 years. I don't know how anyone doesn't get drawn every 5 or 6 years if you really are committed to getting a draw. Most I assume want to hunt their back yard and refuse to travel

I typically put in for hunts with very low odds, like the doe draw in Pemberton which has usually been 2:1 or similar. I understand the nature of the odds. Most of the draws I put in for were 5-8 hour drives. Now that I live 5 hours out from my old area, I can put in for draws “in my back yard”, and in fact have taken a very nice sized white tail literally off my front porch. I still put in for out of area hunts though, including a doe draw 4 hours away (in a good friends back yard) and elk in an area I’ve spent a lot of time, but it would be a cold and nasty camp if I draw it.

Arctic Lake
06-11-2024, 09:46 AM
Is there any advantage to applying early for your LEH choices ?
If you apply for a hunt right when the LEH comes out
or wait until the last few days is there any difference ?
Arctic Lake

vincentcui
06-11-2024, 09:56 AM
Is there any advantage to applying early for your LEH choices ?
If you apply for a hunt right when the LEH comes out
or wait until the last few days is there any difference ?
Arctic Lake

Theoretically no difference, technically huge difference as Spring Bear season also serves the purpose of Moose scouting. Some of my bear spots also hold moose; not a lot, no monster bulls but the draw odd is somewhat reasonable. I tend to put in LEH in June after my bear hunt in May; I would have got some levels of conclusions of the worthiness of moose LEH in those areas.

BCbillies
06-11-2024, 10:40 PM

Would be interesting to see how this would unfold as the Gov't is focused on maintaining a sustainable harvest rate. Would they simply reduce the number of allocations? I'm not sure spending $40 is enough for folks to be motivated enough to get out there and make it happen . . . $200 or $300 for the tag and yes they're likely motivated.

As an example let's use a northern goat LEH area with roughly 60 allocations and 120 hunters applying (2:1 odds). As it is now roughly half (30) of the hunters with success in the LEH draw actually buy a tag and of those with a tag a quarter cut their tags (7). "If" the tag price is high enough and the Gov't kept the allocations at 60 most tag holders would likely put in the effort and hunt with roughly a quarter cutting a tag (15). With the potential of the harvest rate doubling it would be expected that the number of allocations going forward would be reduced from 60 to 30 so not convinced the odds would actually improve. The Gov't would likely adjust (reduce) the allocations to maintain a healthy population and harvest rate.

high horse Hal
06-12-2024, 06:21 AM
Seeing recent changes to the hunter survey and how it is now electronic instead of random mail,
Do all successful LEH get a special report to file? Do they all get a regular survey?

I seem to recall having a leh permit a few years ago and not getting surveyed for that species but I may be mis-remembering

Redthies
06-12-2024, 06:52 AM
I got a survey after my unsuccessful moose draw this past season. It specifically mentioned the draw, so I don’t think it was just the random one, unless the government actually pays attention to itself?? That can’t be it…

HarryToolips
06-12-2024, 07:25 AM
Seeing recent changes to the hunter survey and how it is now electronic instead of random mail,
Do all successful LEH get a special report to file? Do they all get a regular survey?

I seem to recall having a leh permit a few years ago and not getting surveyed for that species but I may be mis-remembering
IIRC, I have always gotten a survey to fill out pertaining to my LEH I have drawn. What they should do is send the surveys to everyone, including FN's, and have everyone declare all their harvest, and have a box to check if you were drawn for an LEH permit or not..

LBM
06-12-2024, 08:25 AM

In regards to #1 pay up front to start with, when i use to apply for sheep in Nevada it was a $1000 dollars if you didnt draw all was returned but $7 application fee this would weed out alot that apply just because.

Arctic Lake
06-12-2024, 08:35 AM
Make sure you fellas get you LEH ‘s in we are approaching the deadline !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
06-12-2024, 08:37 AM
WOW ! What do they have against you ? That’s lousy Redthies !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
06-12-2024, 08:40 AM
HHH . I got an electronic survey last year on my moose LEH ! If I’m not mistaken don’t you get a survey for each species tag you purchase ?
Arctic Lake

j270wsm
06-12-2024, 10:27 AM
^^^^ I can remember 2 times where I got a survey for wolf and grouse, yet I had purchased tags for 2 deer, elk, moose and black bear

Guller74
06-12-2024, 01:57 PM
The Hunter Conservationist Podcast: Debriefing British Columbia's Hunting Regulation Changes on Apple Podcasts (https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/debriefing-british-columbias-hunting-regulation-changes/id1470798531?i=1000652461371)

jac
06-12-2024, 05:24 PM
They should raise the price to at least $50-$100 per entry as long as the money stays on the mountain. Bc leh system is not very good. Sure it’s cheap and you have a chance to win but it’s a bit of a joke.

last light
06-12-2024, 07:20 PM
They should raise the price to at least $50-$100 per entry as long as the money stays on the mountain. Bc leh system is not very good. Sure it’s cheap and you have a chance to win but it’s a bit of a joke.

No thanks, we are taxed enough already. I’m good keeping the price at what it is.

BearSupreme
06-13-2024, 07:20 AM

Wouldnt charging 10-20 times more for the same system make it even more of a joke?

Darksith
06-13-2024, 08:37 AM
No thanks, we are taxed enough already. I’m good keeping the price at what it is.

its not a tax, you don't have to play the lotto either or buy that raffle ticket if you choose not too.
100% the LEH is too cheap, but its gotta go back into conservation. If we don't find a way to put more animals back on the landscape, hold industry accountable to do proper rehabilitation to things like roads, seismic lines etc, fund the science that is needed to properly manage and maintain healthy wildlife populations our opportunities will continue to shrink. Rather than bitching about draw odds wouldn't it be nice just to have GOS back? Pretty soon because of the draw odds for a month long hunt, your going to see them break that month into 4 hunts to reduce the odds, which will make a few morons that don't get it and don't give back happy and still not conduct the science required to maintain or RESTORE wildlife populations to historic levels. They got us arguing about the wrong shit constantly and very few actually get it.

J_T
06-13-2024, 09:46 AM
Largely agree with this. As I have said. Government sees hunters love LEH (160,000 applications confirms that) and so they create more of it. LEH is the death of hunting. A hunter management tool. We NEED to focus on creating open opportunity. To say a Bow Only Season (BOS) can resolve a lot of LEH harvest models seems to start off a war of words between rifle and bow users. When the reality is, we are creating the same war of words because a percentage of users are focused on LEH while the other focus on GOS. You are spot on with the comment that Government "think" they can convert a 60 Day GOS into 4, 15 day LEH hunts as the same opportunity. So wrong.

walks with deer
06-13-2024, 09:49 AM
its not a tax, you don't have to play the lotto either or buy that raffle ticket if you choose not too.
100% the LEH is too cheap, but its gotta go back into conservation. If we don't find a way to put more animals back on the landscape, hold industry accountable to do proper rehabilitation to things like roads, seismic lines etc, fund the science that is needed to properly manage and maintain healthy wildlife populations our opportunities will continue to shrink. Rather than bitching about draw odds wouldn't it be nice just to have GOS back? Pretty soon because of the draw odds for a month long hunt, your going to see them break that month into 4 hunts to reduce the odds, which will make a few morons that don't get it and don't give back happy and still not conduct the science required to maintain or RESTORE wildlife populations to historic levels. They got us arguing about the wrong shit constantly and very few actually get it.

This is 100% the truth people.

BearSupreme
06-13-2024, 10:56 AM

Throwing more money at a problem never makes it better, they need a new system. The government openly admits they dont even use most of their own surveys and studies, more money wont help their lack of game management. BC is still one of the only places that has antler point restrictions in North America because every other game management unit has proven it leads to lesser genetics and no more game animals. BC also likes to pander to political groups and bleeding hearts to decide game management over most other jurisdictions. BC is also one of the only places that allows rifle hunting during the rut of game animals. Everywhere else closes their season for 2 weeks or makes it more challenging like archery only or muzzle loader. Charging more money for LEH applications or tags is not going to fix this broken system.

Also they need to account for native harvests which they refuse to do but to have accurate wildlife numbers and harvest targets they need to have a rough idea of how many are being taken without a tag.

browningboy
06-13-2024, 12:02 PM
Got my LEH’s in just now, time to dream and make plans!
Who am I kidding, where do I go GOS again! Lol

HappyJack
06-14-2024, 07:35 AM
Throwing more money at a problem never makes it better, they need a new system. The government openly admits they dont even use most of their own surveys and studies, more money wont help their lack of game management. BC is still one of the only places that has antler point restrictions in North America because every other game management unit has proven it leads to lesser genetics and no more game animals. BC also likes to pander to political groups and bleeding hearts to decide game management over most other jurisdictions. BC is also one of the only places that allows rifle hunting during the rut of game animals. Everywhere else closes their season for 2 weeks or makes it more challenging like archery only or muzzle loader. Charging more money for LEH applications or tags is not going to fix this broken system.

Also they need to account for native harvests which they refuse to do but to have accurate wildlife numbers and harvest targets they need to have a rough idea of how many are being taken without a tag.

They need to know what we actually have for animals, huntable game and predators. Knowing what is actually killed each year is a fools game, a cheap way to try and justify poor game management. Pissing on a tree over first nations harvest is so goofy, how many game animals are killed by bears?wolves?trains?cars?starvation?drownings?stuc k in mud? I couldn't care less about how many game animals are taken other than for general statistics, at best it just provides ammunition for the anti hunting crowd.

huntcoop
06-14-2024, 09:03 AM
They need to know what we actually have for animals, huntable game and predators. Knowing what is actually killed each year is a fools game, a cheap way to try and justify poor game management. Pissing on a tree over first nations harvest is so goofy, how many game animals are killed by bears?wolves?trains?cars?starvation?drownings?stuc k in mud? I couldn't care less about how many game animals are taken other than for general statistics, at best it just provides ammunition for the anti hunting crowd.

More data the better, why can't the indians report just like everyone else?

BearSupreme
06-14-2024, 10:44 AM

Im not pissing on native harvest, im just saying their numbers arent accounted for and they need to be. When the LEH comes out and says that 45 bull moose can be harvested in an area and that isnt accounting for the 45 bulls and cows the natives might take (just using a number for arguments sake) it throws off their estimates for what numbers are sustainable in that area. They are also suggesting that anyone who buys a moose tag will have to report on their moose hunting during the year to help with their management. Again, if they are only taking one portion of the hunting into consideration then they will never get accurate hunting numbers or limits. Pretty simple logic

Arctic Lake
06-14-2024, 11:48 AM
Real science , Real facts , Real statistics , is needed to make sound wildlife decisions ! Am I right ?
Arctic Lake

J_T
06-14-2024, 12:57 PM
Im not pissing on native harvest, im just saying their numbers arent accounted for and they need to be. When the LEH comes out and says that 45 bull moose can be harvested in an area and that isnt accounting for the 45 bulls and cows the natives might take (just using a number for arguments sake) it throws off their estimates for what numbers are sustainable in that area. They are also suggesting that anyone who buys a moose tag will have to report on their moose hunting during the year to help with their management. Again, if they are only taking one portion of the hunting into consideration then they will never get accurate hunting numbers or limits. Pretty simple logic

Regarding FN harvest, we've actually been making progress on this front. Both that bands agree to report harvests, and that any inter-band hunting is documented.

What we as hunters fail to realize, is the magnitude of road kill. We whine about the harvest of 45 moose, or that an FN harvest is 40 bulls and we aren't considering that in wildlife management regulations.
I've been asking Gov Bio's to recognize that road kill (something everyone can do something about) is 'harvesting' far more animals than resident hunters and FN. Road kill is indiscriminate, random and lasts all year. Local studies, collected using citizen science and road kill collection, suggests road kill is double most hunting harvests. That does not include railway mortality.

Want to give wildlife a chance and turn the downward trend on wildlife populations? Let's address road and rail kill and include that in the decisions.

Elkaholic
06-14-2024, 02:10 PM
Regarding FN harvest, we've actually been making progress on this front. Both that bands agree to report harvests, and that any inter-band hunting is documented.

What we as hunters fail to realize, is the magnitude of road kill. We whine about the harvest of 45 moose, or that an FN harvest is 40 bulls and we aren't considering that in wildlife management regulations.
I've been asking Gov Bio's to recognize that road kill (something everyone can do something about) is 'harvesting' far more animals than resident hunters and FN. Road kill is indiscriminate, random and lasts all year. Local studies, collected using citizen science and road kill collection, suggests road kill is double most hunting harvests. That does not include railway mortality.

Want to give wildlife a chance and turn the downward trend on wildlife populations? Let's address road and rail kill and include that in the decisions.

Agree 100% here. Driving from outside of town into town everyday for the past 10 years has been eye opening for how many animals get hit just on my little chunk of highway alone(Fort Steele to Cranbrook). It floors me when I see the dead animals, ICBC has tons of money and knows the hot spots. Why not invest in their future profits by helping get these animals across the highway/railways safely, it would reduce collisions and their expenses quite drastically I would think. While it would be a costly initiative up front they would reap the benefits long term, as would our wildlife. I do how ever think that we will never get CPKCRail to ever do anything about it, they simply do not care from what I have seen and heard.

Bubbacanuck
06-14-2024, 02:46 PM
Agree 100% here. Driving from outside of town into town everyday for the past 10 years has been eye opening for how many animals get hit just on my little chunk of highway alone(Fort Steele to Cranbrook). It floors me when I see the dead animals, ICBC has tons of money and knows the hot spots. Why not invest in their future profits by helping get these animals across the highway/railways safely, it would reduce collisions and their expenses quite drastically I would think. While it would be a costly initiative up front they would reap the benefits long term, as would our wildlife. I do how ever think that we will never get CPKCRail to ever do anything about it, they simply do not care from what I have seen and heard.

I was in Halifax last year for the Supply Chain Forum and CN Rail was there doing a big dog-&-pony show. I asked the main guy about all the wildlife killed and he chuckled and basically said, "yup, lots get killed....but at least that is a West Coast issue".

We are an economy and if it doesn't make money no one seems to care.

.330 Dakota
06-15-2024, 07:11 AM
More data the better, why can't the indians report just like everyone else?

Because they "just wont" they really dont care and dont want to be governed

HappyJack
06-15-2024, 07:19 AM

Well said! The train mortality is huge in high snowfall years.

HappyJack
06-15-2024, 07:30 AM

Are there 50 moose in that MU or 500? They don't know. Are you aware that it was hunters raising the alarm about plummeting moose numbers due to wolf predation, they didn't know. What they do is ask you where you hunted moose, for how many days and if you were successful. High success vs days hunted means good moose populations, low success means they will shorten or close the hunting season for them there.

The real simple logic, that I am trying to get across IS> those stats don't mean jack chit if you have no idea how many are killed by natives, poachers, bears, wolves, trains, cars, drownings, starvation, old age, in rut battles, or even stuck in the mud. You need good population surveys done at different times of the year to really have an idea what a game population is.

browningboy
06-15-2024, 07:39 AM
Because they "just wont" they really dont care and dont want to be governed

Kudos to the Indians in a way, our government slowly removing hunting a few hunts at a time…
Anyways best of luck to everyone