PDA

View Full Version : A Productive Weekend, Two Bears in Two Days!

vincentcui
05-14-2024, 11:23 AM
Harvested two bears in two days, both popped up an hour before sunset.
https://i.imgur.com/DO08QGc.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/mt2RM4K.jpeg
https://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9240&stc=1https://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9241&stc=1

ghost
05-14-2024, 11:26 AM
Awesome!! Way to go

Ron.C
05-14-2024, 11:46 AM
nice, love the hide on the top bear!!!!

IronNoggin
05-14-2024, 11:47 AM
Should include a little more detail in your tale of the hunt methinks..

Congrats on your success!

Cheers,
Nog

elker
05-14-2024, 12:43 PM
Good job.
Last weekend I only saw one bear who is a bit over 2 years old. Let it go to live another 2 years.
How did you preserve the quality of the meat in the field with two bears in this hot weather?

The Hermit
05-14-2024, 12:51 PM
Good job.
Last weekend I only saw one bear who is a bit over 2 years old. Let it go to live another 2 years.
How did you preserve the quality of the meat in the field with two bears in this hot weather?

I take a cooler/freezer in a trailer with me now. Also, a couple Yeti coolers... one for perishables and one for beer. Its always a dilemma whether the bigger one is for beer or food! ;-)

vincentcui
05-14-2024, 01:19 PM
Should include a little more detail in your tale of the hunt methinks..

Congrats on your success!

Cheers,
Nog

Honestly I thought I was just so lucky. The first evening I visited the cut block that I harvested a bear last spring, and there was a bear (the black one in my second picture) eating grass right at the same spot where I killed my 2023 spring bear. By the time I finish quartering, I spent a couple hours viewing northern light and decided to skip the morning hunt. The second evening I went to a different location, a location my buddy sent me that he saw a black bear but could not have a shooting opportunity a couple days ago. I tried to navigate there but there were some ditches / deactivation that drove me nuts cuz clock was ticking... By the time I made it there, a beautiful colour-phased bear was walking right in the open! And that concludes my spring bear hunt.

vincentcui
05-14-2024, 01:22 PM
Good job.

I had a large and a medium cooler, each contained ice (I use empty coke bottles / 4L milk containers to freeze water to ice) so the coolers are kept at zero degree. By the time the ice melt, I buy ice from gas station.

HarryToolips
05-14-2024, 01:37 PM
Great work man congrats!

lovemywinchester
05-14-2024, 01:53 PM
Cool man! Looks like a lot of work!!!

Jass
05-14-2024, 02:15 PM
First time bear hunter, want to contribute for predator control, I have been out to Boston bar 3 times so far, haven't seen a bear yet, Can someone point me out in the right direction some good areas to check out for bears.
Thank you.

elker
05-14-2024, 03:41 PM
I had a large and a medium cooler, each contained ice (I use empty coke bottles / 4L milk containers to freeze water to ice) so the coolers are kept at zero degree. By the time the ice melt, I buy ice from gas station.
Good idea! I filled ziploc to get the frozen ice and it was wet everywhere when it melted. using the 4L milk jars are surely a better idea. Just bought 11 meat hooks and I am going to hang the meat under the tree/cool areas to cool the meat first during the hunt. will go out again this weekend.

Arctic Lake
05-14-2024, 06:04 PM
Way to go Vince ! What are you doing with the meat ?
Arctic Lake

jimzuk
05-14-2024, 08:26 PM
Nice bears

Jass
05-14-2024, 09:12 PM
First time bear hunter, want to contribute for predator control, I have been out to Boston bar 3 times so far, haven't seen a bear yet, Can someone point me out in the right direction some good areas to check out for bears.
Thank you.

ACB
05-14-2024, 09:34 PM
Something to keep in mind spring bear hunting if you are successful and plan on hunting some more. If you can find a creek with a bridge over it, hang the bear quarters off the bridge above the water in the shade of the bridge, the air moving in the shade of the bridge is cool. I have used this a few times, works like a charm. Well done on the bears.

Bigdoggdon
05-14-2024, 09:51 PM
Great Bruins, nice job. Congratz.

vincentcui
05-14-2024, 10:22 PM
Thank you.
My in-law used to hunt in Boston Bar since 2009. According to his words, the area got worse and worse every year, and finally in 2016 he stopped hunting bear there and moved up to Merritt for spring bear.

vincentcui
05-14-2024, 10:24 PM
Way to go Vince ! What are you doing with the meat ?
Arctic Lake

I slow cook most of my bear meat, except for tenderloin, backstraps and heart / liver which are for stir-fry.

vincentcui
05-14-2024, 10:26 PM
Something to keep in mind spring bear hunting if you are successful and plan on hunting some more. If you can find a creek with a bridge over it, hang the bear quarters off the bridge above the water in the shade of the bridge, the air moving in the shade of the bridge is cool. I have used this a few times, works like a charm. Well done on the bears.
Wow I never thought about that, that's a smart idea. I found bugs are less dense near creeks / rivers.

elker
05-14-2024, 11:41 PM
Wow I never thought about that, that's a smart idea. I found bugs are less dense near creeks / rivers.

ACB’s method will save my hunting season. I had been concerned with the game meat cooling in the hot weather, and had become less enthusiastic about going hunting.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-15-2024, 04:41 AM
Honestly I thought I was just so lucky. The first evening I visited the cut block that I harvested a bear last spring, and there was a bear (the black one in my second picture) eating grass right at the same spot where I killed my 2023 spring bear. By the time I finish quartering, I spent a couple hours viewing northern light and decided to skip the morning hunt. The second evening I went to a different location, a location my buddy sent me that he saw a black bear but could not have a shooting opportunity a couple days ago. I tried to navigate there but there were some ditches / deactivation that drove me nuts cuz clock was ticking... By the time I made it there, a beautiful colour-phased bear was walking right in the open! And that concludes my spring bear hunt.

Doesn't sound like to me. You learned something last year and built upon it this year!

Congrats on your two bears!

That’s a great start to filling your freezer!

SSS

vincentcui
05-15-2024, 12:46 PM
Doesn't sound like to me. You learned something last year and built upon it this year!

Congrats on your two bears!

That’s a great start to filling your freezer!

SSS

Thanks SSS, yeah I was quite surprised that I was able to pull a bear from the exact same kill-spot from last year. Will go there again next spring to see if the spot is still good :)

bottles
05-15-2024, 02:48 PM
Congrats. Those are some nice bears

ElliotMoose
05-15-2024, 08:05 PM
Nice work! Saved a couple fawns and moose calves there

Spy
05-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Congratulations those are nice bears, probably going to be good eating aswell:-)

hawk-i
05-15-2024, 08:43 PM
Awesome, congrats on your success! :)

boilerroom
05-16-2024, 02:11 PM
nice! Cool you got two different colour phases. Were they in the same general area?

vincentcui
05-16-2024, 10:47 PM
nice! Cool you got two different colour phases. Were they in the same general area?
They are both from Region 3, adjacent MUs.