PDA

View Full Version : How many grizzlies are being killed?

Gateholio
05-10-2024, 06:11 PM
The grizzly bear hunt was ended in BC, anybody have any idea of the effect that has had on all cause mortality of grizzly bears? Hunters aren't killing them but has car/train collisions increased? Does BC even have such stats?

Everett
05-10-2024, 08:46 PM
The real question is how many the CO's are killing and how many problem bears are being shot by the general public and not being reported.

Darksith
05-10-2024, 08:59 PM
There was just a public engagement session not that long ago that had a lot of the info you are asking for. Im not going to dig it up again...we need hunters to get involved. Educate yourself.

The biggest issue with people in general is they want instant gratification rather than simply putting in a bit of effort. Its all out there for your consumption.

Gateholio
05-10-2024, 09:38 PM
The real question is how many the CO's are killing and how many problem bears are being shot by the general public and not being reported.

That's absolutely a good question and part of overall human caused mortality.

Treed
05-10-2024, 11:59 PM
Go read Grizzly Bear Science an amazing book about G bears in BC written by a first class scientist. He goes into depth on causes of mortality. Knows more about bears than anyone I’ve ever met or worked with. Bios I’ve worked with all defer to him.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-11-2024, 04:45 AM
Go read Grizzly Bear Science an amazing book about G bears in BC written by a first class scientist. He goes into depth on causes of mortality. Knows more about bears than anyone I’ve ever met or worked with. Bios I’ve worked with all defer to him.

Hadnt heard of that book but it’s by who I thought you were referring to….Bruce McLellan.
He’s great.

https://www.indigo.ca/en-ca/grizzly-bear-science-and-the-art-of-a-wilderness-life-forty-years-of-research-in-the-flathead-valley/9781771605656.html

Steeleco
05-11-2024, 07:29 AM
I bumped into a ranch hand Reg 5, 2 years back, she told me to shoot those Fkrs no ifs and or butts. The transplants she said are taking calves as soon as they drop. If she's not alone her thoughts!

ghost
05-11-2024, 08:06 AM
Talked to rancher in reg 5 few years ago and said basically the same thing

j270wsm
05-11-2024, 05:47 PM
How many are being killed…….not enough!!

stoneramhunter
05-11-2024, 07:33 PM
Ihhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

j270wsm
05-11-2024, 09:49 PM
The issue isn’t so much grizz human conflict, it’s how many elk/moose calves they eat.

Bear Chaser
05-12-2024, 05:33 AM
The issue isn’t so much grizz human conflict, it’s how many elk/moose calves they eat.

Bang on.
Your other answer of “not enough” to the original question was also spot on.
I know ranchers who’ve been in the heart of grizzly country for decades that never had problems like they do now. They can’t even walk out the front door without worrying about having a gun handy.

.330 Dakota
05-12-2024, 07:00 AM
Bang on.
Your other answer of “not enough” to the original question was also spot on.
I know ranchers who’ve been in the heart of grizzly country for decades that never had problems like they do now. They can’t even walk out the front door without worrying about having a gun handy.

100% and I am willing to bet there are a few buried on ranches every year, not counting the ones shot by mistake by inexperienced black bear hunters

eatram
05-12-2024, 11:39 AM
The guides and outfitters DEFINITELY are not shooting them all of the time....

high horse Hal
05-12-2024, 05:13 PM
The grizzly bear hunt was ended in BC, anybody have any idea of the effect that has had on all cause mortality of grizzly bears? Hunters aren't killing them but has car/train collisions increased? Does BC even have such stats?ICBC seems to be a driver to some wildlife management decisions, maybe they have files on wildlife/vehicle interactions
Often thought the info could be used as an indicator for population trends, collisions going up or down may reflect local pop number changes, for any species really

high horse Hal
05-12-2024, 05:15 PM
Clayton Lamb did a good paper on road density and the impact on gbears

Proctor, M, McLellan B.M, Stenhouse, G.B, Mowat, G., Lamb CT, Boyce, M.S. 2020. Effects of roads and motorized human access on grizzly bear populations in British Columbia and Alberta, Canada.

Gateholio
05-12-2024, 08:09 PM
ICBC seems to be a driver to some wildlife management decisions, maybe they have files on wildlife/vehicle interactions
Often thought the info could be used as an indicator for population trends, collisions going up or down may reflect local pop number changes, for any species really

I was thinking similarly

TheObserver
05-13-2024, 12:28 AM
How many are being killed? Not enough than there has been since the closure.

HappyJack
05-13-2024, 07:41 AM

That is the truth, and now the bears have no commercial value much like a gopher.

rolllingbreakdown
05-13-2024, 08:58 AM

And the govt DEFINETLY isn't encouraging the bands to exercise their rights in an attempt to manage grizzly populations under the table

high horse Hal
05-13-2024, 12:06 PM
why do the bands need encouragement from anyone?
Stewards of the land doing what is traditional should take out any baby eating bear

LBM
05-13-2024, 09:12 PM
The grizzly bear hunt was ended in BC, anybody have any idea of the effect that has had on all cause mortality of grizzly bears? Hunters aren't killing them but has car/train collisions increased? Does BC even have such stats?
You should be able to get the info on car/train mortality as well as mortality from COs. Get both in the EK every year, but to say hunters arnt killing them is false you can read this thread and see that. there is probable more killed in some MUs
now then there was when there was a open season. We have found then dead and reported it and the dead bear had been seen by other hunters and never reported which to me is not good. If people no of grizzlys being shot by hunters or ranchers and not reporting it then they to are part of the problem.
The hunt should of never been shut down in the first place, many times those that think they are saving animals end up causing the death of more.

Monashee
05-13-2024, 10:56 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/YqczzLXz/Eye-opener.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

ElectricDyck
05-14-2024, 12:15 PM
Not sure if this was posted already, october last year was a succesful hunt, COs killed 12 other than that the numbers don't seem too high but seem like they are on the increase for sure.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/human-wildlife-conflict/predator-statistics-grizzly-bear

HappyJack
05-15-2024, 06:40 AM
why do the bands need encouragement from anyone?
Stewards of the land doing what is traditional should take out any baby eating bear

If you want something done these days you better be prepared to pay for it, if you know what I mean.

elch jager
05-15-2024, 03:30 PM
Not sure if this was posted already, october last year was a succesful hunt, COs killed 12 other than that the numbers don't seem too high but seem like they are on the increase for sure.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/human-wildlife-conflict/predator-statistics-grizzly-bear

Interesting numbers, thanks for finding and sharing.

Something that jumps right out at me is the numbers in October jump up dramatically...

ElectricDyck
05-15-2024, 09:17 PM
Makes sense bad berry year..bears searching for a last big meal before bed, garbage, fruit trees, picnic baskets lol

IronNoggin
05-16-2024, 09:50 AM

I, among many, take the "reported numbers" with a rather large grain of salt.

LBM
05-16-2024, 11:39 AM
Hopefully will get a chance to hunt them again and with out the bringing out meat requirement.