PDA

View Full Version : Where to start when planning a hunting trip? (Im a 20+yr vegetarian for partner bday)

SunshineLily
05-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Hi All,

I am planning a milestone birthday hunting trip for my partner.
He is excited to go into the Caribou (North Western Region).
However, I am a long term vegetarian (20+ years, so I'm finding all the information overwhelming and I'm not sure where to start).
I'm well aware that in the North Western Region not to hunt Cow Moose.

I just got my RPAL, and I have a CORE course coming up (he is doing it as a refresher, and me as a first timer).
We are looking to go in either October or November.

I am also looking for a restaurant in the lower mainland or Las Vegas that does unusual meat that I can take him to for his actual birthday dinner.

Any tips, or trusted websites or resources are welcome!

Bubbacanuck
05-09-2024, 12:04 PM
Forage Vancouver is probably the closest you can get. Antler Restaurant in Toronto. Dai Due Restaurant in Austin TX, run by Jesse Griffiths.

Don't know Vegas though, haven't been in years....

As for the hunt, do your CORE and get to understand the Regs. From there, you can select species and region and go for it.

I've converted a few Vegan/Veg's to eat wild game meat, as it is sooo good when cooked properly.

Hank Shaw has a bunch of great cookbooks. Buck, Buck, Moose is the bible.

Good luck and have fun

Downtown
05-09-2024, 12:09 PM
You may check out "The London Chef" in Victoria BC.
Dan Hayes is a Professional Chef and does a lot of Game Meat. He is also one of the Cohosts of the TV Mini Serie "Moose Meat & Marmalade" which just concluded there last episode.

Cheers

Hi All,

However, I am a long term vegetarian (20+ years, so I'm finding all the information overwhelming and I'm not sure where to start).

I just got my RPAL, and I have a CORE course coming up (he is doing it as a refresher, and me as a first timer).

I am also looking for a restaurant in the lower mainland or Las Vegas that does unusual meat that I can take him to for his actual birthday dinner.

Gr8 white hunter
05-09-2024, 12:37 PM
Just stick to your Veggies.

IronNoggin
05-09-2024, 01:09 PM
You may check out "The London Chef" in Victoria BC.
Dan Hayes is a Professional Chef and does a lot of Game Meat. He is also one of the Cohosts of the TV Mini Series "Moose Meat & Marmalade"

Double Down on this one!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers

savage10
05-09-2024, 01:17 PM
First of all, it’s fantastic to see a vegetarian with an open mind and being supportive of their partners desire to hunt. So kudos to you.

Once you guys have completed your courses, learn the regulations in full detail.

It’s kind of hard to give any specific suggestions at this point as your question is very vague. First thing you need to do is pick your desired species you wish to hunt. Once you have done that, figure out what wildlife management units are surrounding your desired hunting area and possibly a location for base camp. Once you have that general info post a thread or come back to this one with the details and I’m sure some will reach out for some help. Don’t be expecting where exactly to get the animal, but I’m sure you might get a DM or 2 with some places to check out/start.

You can also use the search bar for this site, it can be very helpful. For example if you notice a specific landmark in your desired area, just type that make in the search bar and more than likely you’ll find some general info about the area. Searching roads, lakes, close towns, and management units can all be helpful.

Cheers and good luck!

SunshineLily
05-09-2024, 03:02 PM
Just stick to your Veggies.

I will, but it doesn't mean I won't support his hobbies or interests.:grin:

SunshineLily
05-09-2024, 03:12 PM
That would make sense, I started looking and googling and I was so overwhelmed by all of the information.
Once I've done the course I'll delve back in.

savage10
05-09-2024, 03:18 PM
A great tool to have is the iHunter app. It provides you all the regulations, open seasons and management units in the province. As well as letting you know private land, crown land and First Nations land ect. Pay a little bit for the premium so you can use all the layers, it’s well worth the investment.

You can also use to it save waypoints on the maps. Like a potential camp spot, places to look for animals, places you’ve seen sign/animals ect ect. There are tutorials on YouTube to make the most of the app.

I use a combination of ihunter and google earth, as well as backroad mapbooks to plan my hunts. There are many great tools out there but those are just a few.

Bustercluck
05-09-2024, 03:30 PM
What kind of trip are you planning? Individual day trips? Multi day? Camping?

Are you guys experienced outdoors people? Hiking? Tenting?

I enjoy the outdoors and hunting is kind of secondary. Any trip I plan is meant to get out for enjoyment and if I happen to get an animal than that’s a bonus.

Keep firing some questions out and we’ll see if we can get you pointed in the right direction. It’s really not complicated once you narrow down a species and where you want to go.

mike31154
05-09-2024, 04:04 PM
Here's a link to the current Hunting Regulation Synopsis. A new version will be issued this summer valid for the next 2 seasons but this will get you started & answer a lot of your questions. You will find what species you can hunt where & when. Part of the Core course test will include using the Synopsis to answer questions. The CORE course itself can be taken online, thru BCWF if not mistaken.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/regulations-synopsis

If & when you harvest an animal, there will be blood....and other stuff....

It is not legal to sell wild meat in BC, so technically restaurants are not allowed to serve it. The Island Restaurant in Golden serves Elk burgers but the meat is Alberta farmed Elk, not wild. A local deli here in Vernon sells some game sausages but again, the meat will be farmed, not wild. I think Bison are also farmed in a number of places so you could feast on that.

The northwestern region of BC for hunting is Region 6 Skeena. Cariboo is south of that, Region 5. There is no General Open Season for Moose in Region 5, most likely need to apply for Limited Entry Hunt for the species there. Region 6 offers a short GOS and LEH opportunities.

Gr8 white hunter
05-09-2024, 04:24 PM
You guys are being played by some New Canadian that is just fishing for information.Just like those ☺ who were poaching bears and other game.

stoneramhunter
05-09-2024, 04:41 PM
You guys are being played by some New Canadian that is just fishing for information.Just like those ☺ who were poaching bears and other game.

your name says all it needs to say

IronNoggin
05-09-2024, 05:35 PM
You guys are being played

Perhaps.
Kind of reminded me of a particular BCWF Hunting Diva who played this game on other forums.

Benefit of doubt at this point...

Cheers

Muledeercrazy2
05-09-2024, 06:57 PM

What’s wrong with you?

Redthies
05-09-2024, 10:07 PM
I will, but it doesn't mean I won't support his hobbies or interests.:grin:

Do you have a sister? :lol:

I think it’s great that you are taking the time to give it a go. There is a restaurant on Broadway called Salmon and Bannock that has mostly game on the menu. Since it’s a “landmark” birthday, if you want to splash out a bit, Le Crocodile in downtown Van is (I haven’t been in a couple of years) absolutely spectacular food. They serve venison and duck. It’s $50-$80 per entre though, so be expecting a dinner for two with a bottle of wine and tip to be in the $400+ range.

Woodchuck Dan
05-09-2024, 10:19 PM
Great you are being supportive of your partner -

Have you considered hiring a guide? For a significant event it might be worth spending the money to have an experienced person show you the ropes - Would make a successful harvest more likely and also would probably make the experience in general more enjoyable.

RDJ
05-10-2024, 11:52 AM
Hi All,

Forgive my sense of humour but I remember someone once telling me that "Vegetarian" is a loosely translated Native American word for "Cannot hunt". Do your best to prove them wrong...

RackStar
05-10-2024, 03:34 PM

you must ride the special bus

eatram
05-10-2024, 04:16 PM
Make it special and cook him a moose roast and bear sausages. PM me and I'll give you some.

Bubbacanuck
05-10-2024, 04:41 PM
Make it special and cook him a moose roast and bear sausages. PM me and I'll give you some.

now that there is stand up of you