PDA

View Full Version : Restoration of Grizzly Bears in Northern Cascades (Washington)

caddisguy
04-26-2024, 01:48 PM
Wonder how long before we see them starting popping up in 2-3 and 2-2

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-us-government-plans-to-restore-grizzly-bears-to-the-north-cascades

Redthies
04-26-2024, 07:26 PM
The article doesn’t show up unless you pay. But I’m all in favour of more G-bears out there eating tourists;)

high horse Hal
04-26-2024, 09:53 PM
Has been talked about for years, someone kicking the can down the street again maybe
rumour at one time BC was taking all their problem GBears to Manning

Arctic Lake
04-27-2024, 06:23 AM
Heard about them wanting to relocate Grizzlies in Manning Park years ago .
Arctic Lake

caddisguy
04-27-2024, 07:57 AM
It appears they are specifically looking to establish a grizzly bear population in the Skagit region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOlXGvJ2LhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOlXGvJ2LhE

ryanonthevedder
04-28-2024, 09:36 AM
There's some up Nahatlach way, a buddy's Dad shot on up East Harrison years back, and a colleague saw a sow and 2 cubs while hiking Lindeman. They're around but I'm not fussy on having a bunch more in my back yard.

TheObserver
04-28-2024, 11:30 PM
Theres the odd MASSIVE fvckr of both species blackies and Grizz around them parts, 100% confirmed.

caddisguy
04-28-2024, 11:47 PM
Theres the odd MASSIVE fvckr of both species blackies and Grizz around them parts, 100% confirmed.

You have seen grizz in 2-2? My wife and I ran into one in 2-18 (closer to Yale than East Harrison) a couple years ago and it was massive. Interesting ordeal. Saw this brush down in a trench shaking around more than the rest of the vegetation blowing with the wind. I knew it was a bear for sure but had no idea what was about to pop out on our side of that trench.

caddisgirl's description: Each one of it's legs was bigger than more torso!!

It sure was lmao. Was not expecting that and won't forget it anytime soon. No drama, just shock.

OH! The hilarious part is... we both froze... I had 1 round of bird shot with 2 slugs behind it.... she had her 30-60 with nothing in the pipe. Neither of us jacked anything in and my safety was on which I wouldn't have even remembered if it got chaotic. That is unlike us. We're always ready. Was like being memorized by a UFO. Just seeing something in a place you don't expect to see it. Stunned. When it popped out of the trench (old washout with berries growing on the sides) it was about 25 yards. No drama really. Bear was super alert and checked us out, then walked off upstream towards the waterfall as we backed out.

That was my first and only grizz encounter. Not too common in the parts of R2 we hunt anyway.

TheObserver
04-28-2024, 11:51 PM
Sorry, was thinkin about a different area, although nearby. But apparently they have been there in meager numbers for years now

caddisguy
04-28-2024, 11:54 PM
Sorry, was thinkin about a different area, although nearby. But apparently they have been there in meager numbers for years now

2-2 I'd be surprised. Just edited my last post for a 2-18 story though.

Iron Glove
04-29-2024, 07:04 AM
We have a cabin in Tulameen, 8-5, a quick hop over the hills to 2-1 and 2-2.
About 20 years ago or so there was a "Town Hall" Meeting over a plan to move some grizzlies into Manning as they had been "extirpated" from the area over time.
Quite the attendance, residents, FSP's ( "effing Summer People" ), ranchers, farmers and such.
A lot of concern was expressed, danger to cattle, humans, whatever and such as it's really not that far from where they were to be placed to Tulameen.
The presenters said there were no grizzlies in the area, the intent was to restore them back to traditional territory over time.
At the back of the room were a number of local ranchers and when the presenters said thee were no grizzlies around they broke out laughing and said "they are already here."
Ultimately, nothing ever happened.
Maybe 2 or 3 years later the Good Wife and I took our dogs for a hike across the Tulameen River, through the woods to an old road that we would follow. We got to the road, I look down the road and crap, there's a small Grizzly maybe 50 yards away from us. I tell the Good Wife to leash up the dogs and we turn around and get outta there in a hurry.
I had always joked with my Wife about not being worried about being able to outrun a bear, I just had to outrun her, always pissed her off when I said that.
She leads the way to the River, I'm bringing up the rear keeping an eye out for the Bear.
We get to the River and rather than the usual shallow crossing, she's led us to a place where the River is quite deep. I said "Why did you lead us to here, you know I can't swim??" She looks at me with an evil smile and says "I know." :cry:
Anyways, we got across then the next day I went back, found the bear tracks and it was a grizzly.
Only one we've seen in the 25 years we've been there but yes, Grizzlies are in the area already.

britman101
04-29-2024, 02:40 PM
Once they become established, you have to be bear aware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFnRyIcGDgI

The footage above was taken just last week in Mountainview county, which is 25 kms. west of Cardston I believe. Even the driver admits he was lucky he was in a truck when he came upon the sow and the three cubs.

jlirot
04-29-2024, 03:05 PM
I can't believe how quickly/easily she got through that fence! Didn't even slow her down!

The footage above was taken just last week in Mountainview county, which is 25 kms. west of Cardston I believe. Even the driver admits he was lucky he was in a truck when he came upon the sow and the three cubs.

caddisguy
04-29-2024, 09:59 PM

Wow that's sure is something.... fence? What fence? That truck chasing us? I'll have a go at it!

Salty
04-30-2024, 10:07 AM
Traveling with our dogs I turned off of hwy 3 between Manning and Princeton 4 years ago to let them run and have a pee. About a km off the highway on an overgrown road I was about to park when we jumped a lone male grizzly, surprised the hell out of us. Ended up going another good couple kms in a hurry to make sure it was ok to let the dogs out safely. We didn't see him on the way out he had showed zero interest in being near us and booked it directly away from the trail when we disturbed him. Google maps says this was 20 kms NE of the Manning lodge. So pretty good bet there's already grizzlies in the park.

Dour
04-30-2024, 11:49 AM
Lower lameland is already surrounded by them. I’ve seen them in Squamish. And around grizzly falls in Boston bar. They are on the Indian river also soooo what’s to stop them from being in upper Pitt They fallow the elk it’s only a matter of time before one pops out in maple ridge. Or mission. If it hasn’t happened already
It’s not really a big deal. Until it becomes one haha

Bernie O
05-01-2024, 08:09 AM
If there is such a shortage of grizly bears in BC that we are not allowed to hunt them why are we exporting them to the US. Another government give away?

Ron.C
05-01-2024, 08:28 AM
Bernie, I understand your statement is a bit rhetorical and Im sure most already know cancelling our G bear hunt had SFA to do with bear numbers and sustainability and everything to do with politics.

stoneramhunter
05-01-2024, 10:41 AM
Bernie, I understand your statement is a bit rhetorical and Im sure most already know cancelling our G bear hunt had SFA to do with bear numbers and sustainability and everything to do with politics.

Grizzly Hunting is not going to make a comeback for hunters anytime soon. Grizzlies are not the sole property of hunters but to all Canadian so yes non hunters have a voice.. I've expressed my opinion before that a grizzly hunt is nothing more than a trophy hunt and would become an issue. Simply taking the hide and head not having to pack out the meat had a bad optic around the world. Alaska sees the writing on the wall and been reviewing their policies and may incorporate a requirement to pack out the meat as opposition is starting to increase. What you do with your meat once you get home is your choice. i believe had hunters been required to pack the meat out there would be a limited grizzly hunt still available in B.C . Of course this is just my opinion.

Retiredguy
05-01-2024, 11:27 AM
That was brought up previously before the total ban went in place...and from what I was told the response from the 'Stop the Trophy Hunt' squad was that they immediately saw right through the ruse, and said if it is not a trophy hunt then the hunter would have to leave the hide and skull in the bush and only take the meat out. It is what I was told by a person involved and lobbying to keep the hunt...can't say it surprised me really. The opposition is not brain dead and they have a plan and a lot of backing.

jeremy84
05-01-2024, 11:28 AM
I only started hunting in 2015/16 so i didnt get the opportunity to hunt for grizzly bear. Is Grizzly bear meat not very paletable? I think if i had the opportunity i would have hunted for them and had i been sucessful i would have taken the meat. I honestly hope that one day they reopen grizzly hunting but with the requirement of retaining all edible portions of meat.

stoneramhunter
05-01-2024, 11:40 AM
That was brought up previously before the total ban went in place...and from what I was told the response from the 'Stop the Trophy Hunt' squad was that they immediately saw right through the ruse, and said if it is not a trophy hunt then the hunter would have to leave the hide and skull in the bush and only take the meat out. It is what I was told by a person involved and lobbying to keep the hunt...can't say it surprised me really. The opposition is not brain dead and they have a plan and a lot of backing.

not sure that is correct ive never heard that stance from the anti hunters not to say it hasn't been raised. It's clear that biologists welcome information from the skull from many animals elk for example and sheep also to confirm it was a legal kill. Not saying that grizzly had to be inspected only that the argument doesnt fly. puting aside anti hunters the majority of people who do not hunt are not against hunting just trophy hunting and not harvesting the meat.

stoneramhunter
05-01-2024, 11:43 AM
I only started hunting in 2015/16 so i didnt get the opportunity to hunt for grizzly bear. Is Grizzly bear meat not very paletable? I think if i had the opportunity i would have hunted for them and had i been sucessful i would have taken the meat. I honestly hope that one day they reopen grizzly hunting but with the requirement of retaining all edible portions of meat.

I have never had grizzly meat but i do know a few hunters who have thought it was okay i guess the cut and whether its a coastal bear or mountain and when you harvested it would have a bearing.

Iron Glove
05-01-2024, 12:04 PM

I've posted @ this in past but a number of years ago there was a "Ban The Grizzly Hunt" presentation one night so I attended, driving the Wife's Subaru and wearing MEC clothing so I wouldn't look out of place. After all the speakers and videos ( well done BTW ) I identified as a Hunter and it got interesting. I think I held my own but one against 70 or so is rough. I stayed very polite at all times, just politely asked, and answered questions. After it was over I went up to the guy doing the presentation, told him it was a great presentation but asked if he would consider things like meat retention, harvest based on actual Grizzly counts and such but he simply said "No, I want to ban Grizzly hunts completely."

stoneramhunter
05-01-2024, 01:05 PM
I've posted @ this in past but a number of years ago there was a "Ban The Grizzly Hunt" presentation one night so I attended, driving the Wife's Subaru and wearing MEC clothing so I wouldn't look out of place. After all the speakers and videos ( well done BTW ) I identified as a Hunter and it got interesting. I think I held my own but one against 70 or so is rough. I stayed very polite at all times, just politely asked, and answered questions. After it was over I went up to the guy doing the presentation, told him it was a great presentation but asked if he would consider things like meat retention, harvest based on actual Grizzly counts and such but he simply said "No, I want to ban Grizzly hunts completely."

As i said earlier there are anti hunters advocating abolishing hunting period.That is not the case for most people they are not anti hunting simply want you to take all the meat out and not make it simply a trophy hunt. I don't disagree its a bad look.

MichelD
05-01-2024, 03:50 PM
We have a cabin in Tulameen, 8-5, a quick hop over the hills to 2-1 and 2-2.
About 20 years ago or so there was a "Town Hall" Meeting over a plan to move some grizzlies into Manning as they had been "extirpated" from the area over time.
Quite the attendance, residents, FSP's ( "effing Summer People" ), ranchers, farmers and such.
A lot of concern was expressed, danger to cattle, humans, whatever and such as it's really not that far from where they were to be placed to Tulameen.
The presenters said there were no grizzlies in the area, the intent was to restore them back to traditional territory over time.
At the back of the room were a number of local ranchers and when the presenters said thee were no grizzlies around they broke out laughing and said "they are already here."
Ultimately, nothing ever happened.
Maybe 2 or 3 years later the Good Wife and I took our dogs for a hike across the Tulameen River, through the woods to an old road that we would follow. We got to the road, I look down the road and crap, there's a small Grizzly maybe 50 yards away from us. I tell the Good Wife to leash up the dogs and we turn around and get outta there in a hurry.
I had always joked with my Wife about not being worried about being able to outrun a bear, I just had to outrun her, always pissed her off when I said that.
She leads the way to the River, I'm bringing up the rear keeping an eye out for the Bear.
We get to the River and rather than the usual shallow crossing, she's led us to a place where the River is quite deep. I said "Why did you lead us to here, you know I can't swim??" She looks at me with an evil smile and says "I know." :cry:
Anyways, we got across then the next day I went back, found the bear tracks and it was a grizzly.
Only one we've seen in the 25 years we've been there but yes, Grizzlies are in the area already.

I saw a momma griz and two cubs up Hembrie Mtn. Road at least 10 years ago.

HappyJack
05-02-2024, 09:52 AM
I never hunted grizzly bears but I could see the value in the trophy hunts. Leaving those old boars to just die and rot isn't any better than having them end up on someone's wall. Since the ban they have become nothing more than worthless and dangerous vermin, they hold no commercial value for anyone but some bear viewing companies. I imagine there are a lot just shot and left these days, just like a ground hog.

Redthies
05-03-2024, 08:39 AM
I imagine there are a lot just shot and left these days, just like a ground hog.

One would hope there aren’t “a lot” shot these days, since it is illegal. That said, if my life or that of a companion is at stake, I would not hesitate to shoot any animal, be it legal currently or not. I think that goes for 99% of us.

The use of the word “trophy” needs to end, unless we are talking about car races or football championships. As hunters, we need to be responsible for, and make best use of any animal we take. I HAVE eaten Grizzly before (with a group of Mt Currie band members I knew back in the day), and my somewhat hazy recollection of it was that it was reminiscent of dark turkey meat. I’m not sure which cut I had, but it was very tasty meat. I have never shied away from trying rare and exotic meat when given the opportunity, and Grizzly is definitely one I would have again. Leaving that much meat to rot in the woods should never be legal in my opinion. We might not have nearly as many people trying to ban this or that if all useful parts of the animal are taken.

high horse Hal
05-03-2024, 09:01 AM
Did you happen to find out who was paying his salary? Interesting how so many advocates for this and that are making a living pushing that rock up hill
South Okanagan National Park comes to mind, lots of news while the staff was being paid to push

high horse Hal
05-03-2024, 09:02 AM
The use of the word “trophy” needs to end, unless we are talking about car races or football championships. Is it too late to start a campaign to call them 'participation awards', which is more factual and possibly universal

j270wsm
05-03-2024, 09:05 AM
^^^^ bullshit. No matter how it’s labelled, they will still try to ban hunting. We will always be at risk of losing something until hunters stand together, support each other and stop hiding who we are and what we do.

Iron Glove
05-03-2024, 10:03 AM
Did you happen to find out who was paying his salary? Interesting how so many advocates for this and that are making a living pushing that rock up hill
South Okanagan National Park comes to mind, lots of news while the staff was being paid to push

It was some sort of a "Save The Bears" group, unfortunately I can't find any of the glossy info they handed out at the time. They did seem to have a lot of FN "backing", the "show" had been travelling around BC a lot. I did meet a Lady there who is very involved with saving Bears of all sorts, rescues, rehab, whatever and we had a good chat after about some of the aspects of Grizzly hunting. At one point in the "show" there was a somewhat horrid video of an American hunt where the Grizzly took a number of shots, tumbled down a mountain side, etc. At another stage we "discussed" how hunting for food was so wrong but buying chicken and beef at the local Supermarket was ethically far better. I politely pointed out that in most cases hunters dispatch their game a lot more "ethically" and efficiently than the Fraser Valley chicken farm that had been featured on TV showing the "workers" throwing chickens against the walls and such.

Bubbacanuck
05-03-2024, 12:14 PM
One would hope there aren’t “a lot” shot these days, since it is illegal. That said, if my life or that of a companion is at stake, I would not hesitate to shoot any animal, be it legal currently or not. I think that goes for 99% of us.

The use of the word “trophy” needs to end, unless we are talking about car races or football championships. As hunters, we need to be responsible for, and make best use of any animal we take. I HAVE eaten Grizzly before (with a group of Mt Currie band members I knew back in the day), and my somewhat hazy recollection of it was that it was reminiscent of dark turkey meat. I’m not sure which cut I had, but it was very tasty meat. I have never shied away from trying rare and exotic meat when given the opportunity, and Grizzly is definitely one I would have again. Leaving that much meat to rot in the woods should never be legal in my opinion. We might not have nearly as many people trying to ban this or that if all useful parts of the animal are taken.

Curious on your thoughts about Coyotes and Wolves? Same thing, you would take all the meat with you from the bush?

Stone Sheep Steve
05-03-2024, 03:47 PM
I was hunting Sugarloaf Mtn right near Merritt back around 1993. It was early Dec and I cut the tracks of grizzly sow and older cub. There wasn’t a tree between the tracks and the town.

That’s a hop, skip and a jump to the Cascades if you head south.

SSS

onerka
05-03-2024, 07:38 PM
There are definitely grizzlies in 2-8. I believe in 1994 the hunting regulations were changed for caribou, goats, and sheep requiring more than a hind quarter be removed. That was a positive change, as the optics were not good.

Redthies
05-03-2024, 08:58 PM
Is it too late to start a campaign to call them 'participation awards', which is more factual and possibly universal

It would probably help with acceptance;)

Redthies
05-03-2024, 09:01 PM
Curious on your thoughts about Coyotes and Wolves? Same thing, you would take all the meat with you from the bush?

Well, I don’t hunt preds, so it’s a moot point for me. I hunt for food, and like venison and elk. I don’t have time to hunt things I don’t want to eat. I know people eat cougar, and Rinella has eaten coyote. The asians like to eat dogs, so maybe they are good eats?