PDA

View Full Version : Best long range/lightweight rifle scope?

Bustercluck
04-19-2024, 09:35 PM
Taking in all considerations, weight, fov, ruggedness, elevation adjustment, glass quality… whatever else I can’t think of at the moment. What’s your guys thoughts on the ideal backpack mountain scope?

I think the leupold vx3hd model with a 30mm tube and windplex reticle would be a good contender. I own a vx5 3-15 that’s a really nice scope, but I’ve barely used it and the erectors broke. From what I understand this is likely to happen again. I’m going to keep it and keep using it, but I have another project on the go in 7saum and I’ll need to put some glass on it.

One of the features I like about the leupold is the zero lock.

375shooter
04-19-2024, 10:01 PM
A solid contender is the NF NXS 2.5-10x42. A little heavier and less magnification, but with a stellar reputation in the durability department. Exactly what you need for a backcountry scope.

warnniklz
04-19-2024, 10:53 PM
Why not get ahold of Korth, get the mark 5 fixed or replaced, then sell it and use that money for something else.

Or sell it cheap as is.

Bustercluck
04-19-2024, 11:22 PM
Why not get ahold of Korth, get the mark 5 fixed or replaced, then sell it and use that money for something else.

Or sell it cheap as is.
It’s already been repaired and I have it back. I’m going to keep using it, but I have a second rifle I’m putting together.

Wood butcher
04-20-2024, 07:27 AM
I'm curious why you think the scope will fail again.
Taking in all considerations, weight, fov, ruggedness, elevation adjustment, glass quality… whatever else I can’t think of at the moment. What’s your guys thoughts on the ideal backpack mountain scope?

I think the leupold vx3hd model with a 30mm tube and windplex reticle would be a good contender. I own a vx5 3-15 that’s a really nice scope, but I’ve barely used it and the erectors broke. From what I understand this is likely to happen again. I’m going to keep it and keep using it, but I have another project on the go in 7saum and I’ll need to put some glass on it.

One of the features I like about the leupold is the zero lock.

Squire
04-20-2024, 07:39 AM
The Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X 44 mm BT 4W would be my recommendation. It’s lightweight, has a 1” tube, its ballistic turret allows you to preset 3 rings on the dial for distances past your zero, and the 4W reticle has windage hash marks like the Leupold Windplex. Once you figure out the ballistics of your particular load you can order a custom dial to replace the rings on the ballistic turret.
The Swarovski has a ‘zero lock’ as well in that it doesn’t turn past your zero once you have set it.
It is comparable in price to the same magnification in the Leupold VX-5 but weighs a few ounces less.

Bustercluck
04-20-2024, 07:46 AM
I'm curious why you think the scope will fail again.
Reading a few other forums and hearing other people’s experience. I read a few reviews on erectors breaking before I bought mine, but thought it was a low odds thing that likely wouldn’t happen to me. The people who said they had theirs break said they broke again and again. Like I said, I’m going to keep using it to see what happens, but I’m not buying another one.

hawk-i
04-20-2024, 08:54 AM
How 'bout a Leica Amplus 6, 3-18x44i ... its slightly heavier than the VX5HD but its a pretty solid optic.

I personally haven't had any problems with my VX3HD's, VX5HD's or VX6HD's...is there a serial number range where problems were occurring?

300rum700
04-20-2024, 09:20 AM
Long range and lightweight don't belong in the same sentence. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but it's just the way it is.

Zeiss V4 will be the best all around and still perform as needed.

todbartell
04-20-2024, 09:49 AM
I think the leupold vx3hd model with a 30mm tube and windplex reticle would be a good contender.

What do you define as *long range*? This scope has the CDS ZL and limits you to dialing up past 15MOA, which will be 700 yards or less with a 7SAUM

KodiakHntr
04-20-2024, 10:16 AM
So far, I have Bushnell LRHS/LRTS and Arken EPL’s on light weight rifles (Kimbers) that get shot out to 1000 yards regularly. And treated harshly. Nothing has failed to hold zero and has tracked repeatedly. Neither of which the Leupolds that were originally on those rifles could do.
Only Leupold I still use is on a light 22 rimfire.

I’ll pay the weight penalty of a 20+ ounce scope to KNOW that the rounds are going to go where they are supposed to.

Rokslide has a very extensive thread on scopes, 100’s of scopes with thousands of rounds under them, with extreme drop tests in between. One or two models of Nightforce survived, as well as the SWFA. Worth looking at.

Weatherby Fan
04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
The best compromise in a lightweight hunting/long range shooting scope is the Leupold VX3 HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL 30mm tube scope,
next in the lightweight class would be the VX5 HD 3-15x44, my favourite which imho is one of the best and toughest scopes for the money Zeiss V4 4-16x44.

Bustercluck
04-20-2024, 05:38 PM
What do you define as *long range*? This scope has the CDS ZL and limits you to dialing up past 15MOA, which will be 700 yards or less with a 7SAUM
Yeah, that’s where I’m looking at. My other gun I built is a 6.5-284. I built my expectations around 600 yards and maybe pushing slightly further on a good day. I chose the cartridge based on a 6.5-140 grain accubond travelling above 1700 fps at kill distance. There is other bullets out there that’ll do the job out further, but I figured that’s a good baseline. I think that’s reasonable for a sub 6 pound gun

Bustercluck
04-20-2024, 05:44 PM
I’m going to start narrowing down the Zeiss line. I tried to go through the lineup before but had a hard time narrowing down the features I was looking for.

NF would be nice but the only scope remotely light enough is only 10x zoom.

I’ve never seen an Arken… I’ll have to check them out.

high horse Hal
04-20-2024, 09:17 PM
light weight is an issue?

how much water do you pack ?

high horse Hal
04-20-2024, 09:18 PM
The Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X 44 mm BT 4W would be my recommendation. It’s lightweight, has a 1” tube, its ballistic turret allows you to preset 3 rings on the dial for distances past your zero, and the 4W reticle has windage hash marks like the Leupold Windplex. Once you figure out the ballistics of your particular load you can order a custom dial to replace the rings on the ballistic turret.
The Swarovski has a ‘zero lock’ as well in that it doesn’t turn past your zero once you have set it.
It is comparable in price to the same magnification in the Leupold VX-5 but weighs a few ounces less.Not sure why Swaro went with the 1" tube for N.A. market, that fact turned fans away

Bustercluck
04-20-2024, 09:24 PM
light weight is an issue?

how much water do you pack ?

1 litre max most of the time… lol. I could leave some booze at home if I was really concerned about weight though.

Bustercluck
04-20-2024, 09:38 PM
The Zeiss v4 4-16-44 or 50 definitely looks like direct competition for the leupold vx3 or vx5

Warrior67
06-07-2024, 10:12 PM
How much hitting power are we talking? Goat, prong horn, elk?
Price range Tikka or? 7mm wsm? 338? 7mm stw? depends what you want to take down?

Bustercluck
06-07-2024, 11:30 PM
How much hitting power are we talking? Goat, prong horn, elk?
Price range Tikka or? 7mm wsm? 338? 7mm stw? depends what you want to take down?
It’ll be a 6.5-284 or a 7saum, both are custom. The 7saum isn’t built yet and I had to put the brakes on it until I get caught up on a few things. I have all of the pieces except for a barrel.

Sheep, maybe elk.

Bado20
06-08-2024, 02:33 PM
The NF 2.5-10x42 is a good scope and 10x is enough to shoot out past 600 yards, I've shot mine to 1000 but I'm not a big magnification guy. I also have a Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42 that has been flawless for me. I know Vortex doesn't have the reputation NF has for durability but I have done multiple backpack goat hunts, several moose camps, and lots of deer, elk, and bear hunting with it and haven't had to adjust zero since I set it 4 years ago.

The Leupold's I've found seems to depend on the individual scope. I've had a VX-3HD that had a wandering zero on a 338WM but the 2.5-8x36 I have on a Kimber in 7-08 seems to be holding up well. I won a 4.5-18x52 Mark 4HD at a match so I'm gonna give that a go on a 6.5CM when I get my custom back from the smith but I haven't shot that scope yet so I can't comment and it's heavier at 27oz.

If you're willing to allow another half a pound the NF NX8's are awesome but they are heavy.

Edit: I just saw above you're trying to get the rifle in the 6lb range, I think the VX-3HD line is the only dialing scope that will get you there at that weight.

Muledeercrazy2
06-08-2024, 04:25 PM
Not sure why Swaro went with the 1" tube for N.A. market, that fact turned fans away

if you don’t need the extra elevation adjustment the 30mm tube is just extra weight. My turrets are set at 300, 400, and 500 m on my lightweight rifle with the swaro 3.5-18. It’s a great lightweight scope, except the ballistic turret itself won’t stand up to much abuse.

Bullreaper
06-08-2024, 08:35 PM
if you don’t need the extra elevation adjustment the 30mm tube is just extra weight. My turrets are set at 300, 400, and 500 m on my lightweight rifle with the swaro 3.5-18. It’s a great lightweight scope, except the ballistic turret itself won’t stand up to much abuse.

I got rid of the rings and got a couple custom turrets built for mine. One from outdoorsman’s. Wasn’t a fan of that one, I think they screwed up building it cause it was not accurate. I got the other one built by ballistix out of Corlanes. It’s awesome. Dead on accurate and the service they provided was phenomenal. Only downfall to the Z5 is you are limited to one turn of the turret. So I max out at 750 yards with my 7prc, but for hunting purposes, it’s perfect. In my opinion for an ultralight HUNTING rifle, the 2 best scopes are the Z5 3.5-18x44 (15 ounces) or the leupold vx5 3-15x44 (19 ounces)

Bustercluck
06-08-2024, 09:31 PM
I got rid of the rings and got a couple custom turrets built for mine. One from outdoorsman’s. Wasn’t a fan of that one, I think they screwed up building it cause it was not accurate. I got the other one built by ballistix out of Corlanes. It’s awesome. Dead on accurate and the service they provided was phenomenal. Only downfall to the Z5 is you are limited to one turn of the turret. So I max out at 750 yards with my 7prc, but for hunting purposes, it’s perfect. In my opinion for an ultralight HUNTING rifle, the 2 best scopes are the Z5 3.5-18x44 (15 ounces) or the leupold vx5 3-15x44 (19 ounces)
I think 700 yards is my limit on an ethical shot on game. Most conditions would limit me to 600 or less. Maybe I’ll get to a point where I’m comfortable making a lil shot further out.

high horse Hal
06-09-2024, 07:45 AM
The way scopes are designed tody, this is true
the original euro scopes with large tubes had large internals and often large objectives with the idea of maximum light transmission
some countries allow(ed) night hunting by natural light so low-light capability was priority, not so much over here
Nowadays its about elr and tall elevation adjustments in NA
the way i see it, ymmv

Jereky
06-11-2024, 07:38 PM
Zeiss v4 conquest 4-16x50. Pretty rugged from my experience, excellent glass quality and low light abilit, lots of adjustability, good price.

high horse Hal
06-12-2024, 07:05 AM
good scope for sure, wgt is ~23 ozs.

what is a light weight for a scope?

madcalfe
06-12-2024, 10:47 AM
Rifle Scope Field Evaluations | Rokslide Forum (https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/)

take a read. Trijicon, maven, nightforce all seem to be holding their own in durability testing.