PDA

View Full Version : Cwd

dakoda62
03-13-2024, 09:14 PM
The provincial government has announced the harvest of 25 deer in Kootenay region where two samples tested positive for chronic wasting disease earlier this year. Wonder if they will be using helicopters and semi auto's with American or imported hunters.

Bigdoggdon
03-14-2024, 12:10 AM
Are hunters not submitting enough of their deer to provide the data they need?

saskbooknut
03-14-2024, 04:31 AM
Obviously, hunter submitted deer are not enough.
There's no observed cases between the nearest infected area in Alberta and Montana, and those cases near Cranbrook.
Shooting from helicopters is an eradication strategy.
It's far too late for effective eradication of CWD.

Ron.C
03-14-2024, 08:00 AM
CTV Vancouver article i just read said "Tobacco Plains Indian band to collect the samples, permitting the band to collect 20 mule deer and 5 male white tailed deer by the end of this month".

J_T
03-14-2024, 12:07 PM
Recently I documented a high number of road kill in the area of concern.
From Dec 01 – Feb 28

38 Whitetail
24 elk
6 mule deer

Among other highway kills.

In a short stretch of highway (40km) and my question is, are these animals being picked up and submitted for testing?

Elkaddict
03-14-2024, 12:22 PM
From Dec 01 – Feb 28

38 Whitetail
24 elk
6 mule deer

In a short stretch of highway (40km) and my question is, are these animals being picked up and submitted for testing?

Don't quote me on it, but I heard that one of the CWD positive cases was a road killed doe.

Last year a guy whacked a doe with his truck in front of my house. Of course it had to crawl onto my property and bed down. We called the CO, put it down, and the CO came out later that day to collect the head for testing. So I would say that at least some incidental kills are being tested.

Ron.C
03-14-2024, 12:22 PM
From Dec 01 – Feb 28

38 Whitetail
24 elk
6 mule deer

Makes perfect sense.

IronNoggin
03-14-2024, 12:39 PM
From Dec 01 – Feb 28

38 Whitetail
24 elk
6 mule deer

B.C. to kill 25 deer to test for chronic wasting disease in Kootenay region​VICTORIA — The B.C. government says it will cull 25 deer in the Kootenay region to test for chronic wasting disease. The Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship says two deer in the region tested positive for the disease earlier this year.

The ministry says the animals will be collected in a 10-kilometre area around where the two diseased animals were found.

It says wildlife experts will use the samples to determine if more animals have the condition, which impairs brain function.

The province says it has recently begun mandatory testing for chronic wasting disease of any deer, moose, elk and caribou killed on B.C. roads, and it has restricted how carcasses can be transported and disposed of around the area where it was first detected.

The ministry says it is working with the Tobacco Plains Indian Band to collect the samples, permitting the band to collect 20 mule deer and five male white tailed deer by the end of this month.

https://www.timescolonist.com/health/bc-to-kill-25-deer-to-test-for-chronic-wasting-disease-in-kootenay-region-8441832

TheObserver
03-14-2024, 12:41 PM
From Dec 01 – Feb 28

38 Whitetail
24 elk
6 mule deer

38 and 24 in 3 months...... wow!

RackStar
03-14-2024, 02:01 PM
38 and 24 in 3 months...... wow!
In high populated areas the road kill is sad to see. I’ve hit 3 deer this winter and close call with a few more. There’s constantly moose deee and elk in the ditch up here

TheObserver
03-15-2024, 09:28 AM
In high populated areas the road kill is sad to see. I’ve hit 3 deer this winter and close call with a few more. There’s constantly moose deee and elk in the ditch up here

F**k really me or the old man have never hit anything, watch now i'll end up hittin somethin this year lol.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised, last year at a mulie wintering range I think we seen 11 deer (iirc) hit on the side of the roads in the 4 or 5 days we were there, lot of drivers licenses bein handed out these days and the people aint even doing the driving tests. Pretty rampant down here anyhow.

RackStar
03-15-2024, 09:38 AM
I also drive truck in the oil field , so lots of farmland and forest driving so probably why my odds go up.

last week the last one i hit was consumed by ravens within 11 hours I couldn’t believe it

HarryToolips
03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
The experiences shared on this thread are proof that we need substantial funding allocated towards wildlife overpasses. Heck, I'll bet ICBC would support it if their executives have more than 2 brain cells to rub together.. as stated by others on this site, it was only a matter of time before we'd see cwd in BC. Given the roadkill samples along with the hunter submitted samples, is a kill of 25 really necessary, or they just looking for yet another way to further appease a FNs group?

Retiredguy
03-15-2024, 11:28 AM
Killing more deer to get additional samples is something that I have seen in other jurisdictions, and in those cases the numbers were quite a bit higher than 25. I have also seen the respective game departments pay FN's hunters to kill the extra deer and elk they wanted for sampling.

Like it or not, you are going to see some big changes as the issue with CWD becomes front and centre in this province. If our game managers follow the practices used elsewhere there will be a big increase in the deer harvests in affected areas and mandatory sample submissions, etc.

Walking Buffalo
03-15-2024, 08:31 PM
Killing more deer to get additional samples is something that I have seen in other jurisdictions, and in those cases the numbers were quite a bit higher than 25.

I have also seen the respective game departments pay FN's hunters to kill the extra deer and elk they wanted for sampling.

Like it or not, you are going to see some big changes as the issue with CWD becomes front and centre in this province. If our game managers follow the practices used elsewhere there will be a big increase in the deer harvests in affected areas and mandatory sample submissions, etc.

Where?
I am not aware of a single one.

Elkaddict
03-15-2024, 09:14 PM
, is a kill of 25 really necessary, or they just looking for yet another way to further appease a FNs group?

I submitted a head from the area in question. Shortly after the news of positive cases I received a request for information on the exact kill location (even though it was negative). My guess is they are trying to further define the area of concern and make a guess as to exactly how prevalent it is. Just a wild assed guess.

Arctic Lake
03-16-2024, 08:41 AM
Hmmm. Dont think I’d want to eat a CWD infected deer .Are people eating them ? If I’m not mistaken there is a very stringent set of sanitation, sterilization , disinfection protocol for those that process these animals . I need to investigate !
Arctic Lake

superdrupal
03-16-2024, 08:53 AM
I submitted a head from the area in question. Shortly after the news of positive cases I received a request for information on the exact kill location (even though it was negative). My guess is they are trying to further define the area of concern and make a guess as to exactly how prevalent it is. Just a wild assed guess.

Yes you're right. On the BC gov site, going forward they are asking for the coordinates to the location of harvest.

"In response to two recent detections of Chronic Wasting Disease in the Kootenays, we are requesting specific harvest locations for the deer that were harvested in the 2023/2024 season. This information will help us get a better picture of the distribution of negative and positive cases. Harvest locations will be kept confidential."

Retiredguy
03-16-2024, 11:37 AM
Yes you're right. On the BC gov site, going forward they are asking for the coordinates to the location of harvest.

"In response to two recent detections of Chronic Wasting Disease in the Kootenays, we are requesting specific harvest locations for the deer that were harvested in the 2023/2024 season. This information will help us get a better picture of the distribution of negative and positive cases. Harvest locations will be kept confidential."

This is what they need when a specific animal tests positive, as they want an exact location in order to test further animals in the immediate area. I know this can be a contentious issue, as I have heard all of the concerns expressed by hunters and landowners in other places I have hunted/lived. Typically game departments go in and try to drastically reduce the animals in the area where there appears to be a "hotspot". If it happens to be a favourite hunting location for you, or it is where you farm/ranch and hunt, the thoughts of most of the ungulates getting hammered does not sit well. Obviously the idea is to try and control the spread, but you cannot change human nature, and it is not uncommon for hunters submitting heads to give false harvest locations...just incase it comes back positive, as they do not want their honey hole or home range pounded.

I am not saying I agree with this, just saying why some people get very concerned about giving out exact coordinates. In the end we all have to remember that a battle is being fought against a very serious problem and no one has come up with a magic fix so far. One thing is for sure, CWD is continuing to spread and it is going to have a very negative impact on all of us.

superdrupal
03-17-2024, 12:54 PM
If it happens to be a favourite hunting location for you, or it is where you farm/ranch and hunt, the thoughts of most of the ungulates getting hammered does not sit well. Obviously the idea is to try and control the spread, but you cannot change human nature, and it is not uncommon for hunters submitting heads to give false harvest locations...just incase it comes back positive, as they do not want their honey hole or home range pounded.

Good points for sure. I thought that supplying mandatory coordinates may result in some push back. I'm sure we all want what's best but as you've mentioned, some people will be hesitant. Maybe a happy balance would have been to supply the exact location of harvest after a confirmed positive case.

HarryToolips
03-17-2024, 01:09 PM

Makes sense.........