PDA

View Full Version : Budget Backpacking Tent

savage10
03-04-2024, 10:21 PM
I’m preparing to do some overnight backpacking trips for the first time this year. What are some backpacking tents that you guys would recommend that won’t break the bank? Let’s say sub $300 or so. I’m currently looking at the Eureka Suma or Midori 2P.

Thanks

RobbieH
03-05-2024, 12:09 AM
Love my 3F ul gear lanshan 2 pro

RackStar
03-05-2024, 05:23 AM
MEC spark they make decent tents. It’s on sale at the moment too

kevingm1987
03-05-2024, 07:23 AM
I’m preparing to do some overnight backpacking trips for the first time this year. What are some backpacking tents that you guys would recommend that won’t break the bank? Let’s say sub $300 or so. I’m currently looking at the Eureka Suma or Midori 2P.

Thanks

Need more info on the style of tent. 1 or 2 man? freestanding or trekking pole? 3 season or 4 season?

Tents are a key piece of the backcountry set up. Cheap will work for a portion of time but it will fail at some point. Hopefully, it doesn't fail when its required. Good tents cost 2 or 3 times your budget.

I would bump that $300 budget up a bit and get a Durston tent. Solid tents, maybe by a guy from BC that knows our back country. Can't go wrong with them.

Bustercluck
03-05-2024, 07:32 AM
If you’re not picky on brand than I’d watch some of the big box stores for a sale. I haven’t purchased anything from atmosphere in quite awhile, but they used to have good sales and offer a friends and family event once in awhile with a big discount off on almost the whole store. Our local atmosphere closed a few years ago, but they also had a sale rack in the back with some steep discounts on good stuff.

I’ve had an msr elixir for quite a few years and it’s been good to me in all kinds of weather, but it’s a bit on the heavy side. It’s a budget tent that works and I’m still using it even though I have several others. I think you’ll find most of the tents in the same price range are probably made out of similar material with similar designs, especially in the budget stuff. More of a ford vs Chev thing. I’ve seen lots of different tents out in the backcountry and I’ve never really heard too many complaints about the tents people are staying in. Marmot, msr, big Agnes, I think they’re all probably good.

HarryToolips
03-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Marmot Nitro 2P (green tent on right). Decent quality and price, says it can fit 2 ppl, though I'd say 1 comfortably. And it's light, use a hiking pole as your primary pole to cut down on weight, I believe it's under 2 lbs..

https://i.imgur.com/jHrJuYX.jpg

Squamch
03-07-2024, 07:10 AM
Aquaquest siltarp from Amazon. 13x10 (which is HUGE), is plenty of room to stay dry, and yardsale your life under it. Packed down it's about the size of a big Nalgene. $189.

I also have a dyneema tarp, I forget the brand, it's a 7x9? Deadly for a quick camp. Much lighter than the aquaquest. Packs to the size of a fist. This was a "oh, I should take a picture!" Moment in the morning, so it would typically have been pitched tighter.

https://i.postimg.cc/GpZJHYQN/Screenshot-20240307-061238-Instagram.jpg

N¡ck
03-07-2024, 07:59 AM
MEC spark they make decent tents. It’s on sale at the moment too

Agreed. MEC price / quality is hard to beat.
Just like hiking boots, don't cheap out on a tent, you'll regret it.

wos
03-07-2024, 08:23 AM
Love my 3F ul gear lanshan 2 pro

This right here.

huntcoop
03-07-2024, 09:16 AM
...Just like hiking boots, don't cheap out on a tent, you'll regret it.

This is SOLID advice, buy once cry once, trust me I know from experience.

Jamesonm
03-07-2024, 09:48 AM
Another vote for the siltarp! That's all I use now.

Something like the link below. It weights nothing, you can use hiking poles or your tripod to set it up with a couple of rocks or stakes and cord.

SilTarp (https://vpo.ca/product/343307/siltarp-1)1 <-- LINK

Livewire322
03-07-2024, 10:35 AM
I’m curious how many of the Siltarp fans have used them in adverse weather (blowing rain or snow) and how they held up.

Jamesonm
03-07-2024, 10:50 AM
I’m curious how many of the Siltarp fans have used them in adverse weather (blowing rain or snow) and how they held up.

No issues, especially with the larger ones, just need to keep the wind from getting underneath and trying to lift it up on you.

Squamch
03-07-2024, 10:54 AM

In the picture above, I actually had just laid out on the riverbank without a tarp, as it was a beautiful clear evening. An hour later the first couple drops woke me up and I threw the tarp up quick, it hammered rain for a couple hours, although not much for wind. In adverse conditions I wouldn't have pitched it like that, or in that location. I usually hide in the trees, which cut the wind, and use the bigger one in the fall, so I can keep the edges lower to the ground.

KootenayKiller
03-11-2024, 12:27 PM
I'm really happy with my 3F UL Lanshan tent. You can find them on aliexpress for $100-200 in various sizes, or <$100 if you want only a tarp outer. Super lightweight, decent quality, and inexpensive. Uses trekking poles for frame, and comes in single or double wall.

savage10
03-11-2024, 01:06 PM
Thanks all! Definitely some good options to consider here.