PDA

View Full Version : Big agnes 5 person tarp teepee?

ElectricDyck
03-04-2024, 06:24 PM
Anybody use one of these? Any complaints? How do they stand up in wind? Hard to set up? It would be for 3 people and gear on an early september 6 day goat hunt most likely moving camp every day or two.

Its on sale for $337 so relatively cheap and best of all light. I looked at the seek outside after some searching and its awesome but almost double the price. Im buying a bunch of new gear already to take the boys on a goat hunt so price is deffinitly a concern.

My 3 person msr poppa hubba tent fabric coating has major flaking and stickyness everywhere and is no longer waterproof. Probably fixable but seems like a pain....MSR doesnt want to help me so I guess its time for something new. I like the idea of something you can somewhat stand up in. Bugs would be an issue but for the space and weight I figure we would suffer.

Bustercluck
03-04-2024, 06:55 PM
Not sure on the tarp, but I’m told the tent is likely that way because it was put away damp in a tent bag.

Muledeercrazy2
03-04-2024, 07:07 PM
Just a comment on the tent, I had a similar experience with a nemo tent that was 15 years old and they replaced with new no questions asked.

Arctic Lake
03-04-2024, 07:08 PM
Have you checked out Sil Tarps . I have two of them but sorry have not used them yet . They seem get good reviews .
Arctic Lake

RackStar
03-04-2024, 07:52 PM
Got a seek DST, solid tarp if you went that way

ElectricDyck
03-04-2024, 08:23 PM
Not sure on the tarp, but I’m told the tent is likely that way because it was put away damp in a tent bag.

Yeah, that was one of the reasons that came back from a google search. I may have carried it around wet on a hunt or took it home wet but always put it back up to dry when I got home before putting it away.

Also comes back MSR switched something and had a bunch of problems. I had some piles repaired at cascade in seatle on my hubba hubba, msr service was excellent. This time they sent me to kamploops I think and was told initially it would be 8 months till they could even address the issue...its been a couple years now and they dont respond and I stopped trying. I wont buy another msr product.

I also read you should store your water proof coated stuff in breathable bags or hang them up to breathe or a chemical reaction happens causing the flaking. I akways just put them back in their bags..

ElectricDyck
03-04-2024, 08:28 PM
Does seek or siltarp make a teepee style with a door?

Bustercluck
03-04-2024, 08:38 PM
Do you want advice on tipi vs conventional 3 season tents? Or that specific big Agnes model? There’s a bunch of good threads about tents on here already. It’s been discussed in great depth.

ElectricDyck
03-04-2024, 09:35 PM
Like I said I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the big agnes teepee tarp tents..

kevingm1987
03-05-2024, 07:26 AM
Like I said I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the big agnes teepee tarp tents..

No experience but let me know if you go that way. I have been eyeing on myself. Also been looking at the Lite outdoors and something from China to get me started. We will see.